First official picture of the cast of Aladdin

♪ ♫ ♪

Innnnnn West Agrabah, born and raised, in the market place is where I spent most of my days
Sweatin out, maxin', and relaxin' all hot, and all stealing some bread from baker's booth spot.
When a couple of guards, saw I was up to no good ... started makin' trouble in my neighborhood.
I got in one little fight and Abu got scared ... so a wizard had me get a lamp, my life it was spared!

♪ ♫ ♪

♪ ♫ ♪

Innnnnn West Agrabah, born and raised, in the market place is where I spent most of my days
Sweatin out, maxin', and relaxin' all hot, and all stealing some bread from baker's booth spot.
When a couple of guards, saw I was up to no good ... started makin' trouble in my neighborhood.
I got in one little fight and Abu got scared ... so a wizard had me get a lamp, my life it was spared!

♪ ♫ ♪
Next verse please

So apparently after the release of this image, there has been some backlash against how the Genie looks. Will Smith has responded saying that this image is Genie in his hidden human form, but he will be blue and CGI for the majority of the film.

Makes sense. Gotta have Smith's face on the magazines so the popcorn crowd knows he's in it.

Next verse please

♪ ♫ ♪

I whistled for a ride and when he came near
I saw it was a flying carpet - there was nothing to fear
If anything I could say that this ride was rare
But I thought, come'on Abu let's take to the air!

I pulled up to a palace 'bout nine or ten
And I yelled to the princess "Yo, please let me in!"
Looked at her kingdom I was finally free
To sit on my throne as Prince Ali, fabulous he

♪ ♫ ♪

♪ ♫ ♪

♪ ♫ ♪
:rotfl: That may or may not have just made my day!

Really? Guess maybe it depends on who you are but I know literally no one that is interested in Aquaman and tons of people that are planning to see or already have their tickets for MPR

I do agree that Disney's budgets get out of control. Ralph, for example, will do fine (already at $285m worldwide) but the budget was $175 million ... that would look a lot better if it was on a budget of $95 million or something

But I don't think they had too many "flops" - Christophe Robin also should be fine at $197m worldwide, (budget is $70-75m). Even the Nutcraker which didn't do well domestically, but has made $160m worldwide. now the budget was ~$130m so when you add in marketing and stuff it will likely lose money, but not a disaster. Even A Wrinkle in Time will likely cover it's budget ($133m worldwide gross vs a budget of $103m).

I know Solo was a disappointement but it still made just shy of $400m worldwide - though it's budget got out of control due to the reshoots so it likely won't cover all expenses

And obviously Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2 help cover any of those gabs and then some

You do know that the studio only gets half of those grosses at best, right? Also, Ralph has been out for a month and is only at 285 worldwide...not good.

Edit: sorry I see that others have already brought up studio take

Bottom line:

Production + marketing costs

A Wrinkle in Time lost 100 million

Solo lost over 100 million

Christopher Robin may have barely broke even.

The Nutcracker has lost nearly 100 million.

Ralph is still 100 million in the hole a month into it's release.(Aquaman has already grossed more than Ralph's 285 million in just the past week internationally alone!)

In many ways, this has been a disasterous year for Disney outside of their two big Marvel hits(Ant Man 2 did good/not great business) and Incredibles sequel...I mean REALLY bad.

Last edited:
You do know that the studio only gets half of those grosses at best, right? Also, Ralph has been out for a month and is only at 285 worldwide...not good.

right, and they also get money from merchandising, etc. It also hasn't opened in all markets yet. Tokyo and Hong Kong are this weekend with other markets coming even after that

... Clearly Ralph isn't a huge hit, but not sure I would call that a flop (though, as stated a few times, the budget for that is higher than it should be really).

It's not good but it should be the smallest of the losses for the listed films at the end of its run.
Ralph made $117 for a $175 budget, but it should get to 140 or so if it doesn't get killed.
Solo made $160 for a $300 budget.
Wrinkle in Time made $60 for a $100 budget.
Nutcracker made $60 for a $120 budget.

Excluding the cost of advertising, which wasn't too heavy for at least 2 of these. Solo fared by far the worst at the end of it all.

It's not good but it should be the smallest of the losses for the listed films at the end of its run.
Ralph made $117 for a $175 budget, but it should get to 140 or so if it doesn't get killed.
Solo made $160 for a $300 budget.
Wrinkle in Time made $60 for a $100 budget.
Nutcracker made $60 for a $120 budget.

Excluding the cost of advertising, which wasn't too heavy for at least 2 of these. Solo fared by far the worst at the end of it all.

Solo also probably has the most merchandising of all of them and i don't know what % of dvd/bluray the studios get but it's grosses another ~$40m from that ... really, if it had a "normal" budget it wouldn't be too bad, it's just all the reshoots and everything that killed it.

Its safe to say MCU has kept Disney in good shape this year. What happened to WiR? Is it a bad movie?

I loved it, but it just isn't bringing enough people into seats in relation to how expensive this film is.

Universal/Illumination's The Grinch is really hurting it, too.

Solo also probably has the most merchandising of all of them and i don't know what % of dvd/bluray the studios get but it's grosses another ~$40m from that ... really, if it had a "normal" budget it wouldn't be too bad, it's just all the reshoots and everything that killed it.
It's still about half. That will help a little bit for Solo, but it's too big a hole for dvds. Wrinkle and Nutcracker likely won't get much from dvds either, due to the poor reviews. Ralph will do well there, which could push it to profitability, but the advertising will kill them still. Solo got out of control before the reshoots, those were only another $50 million or so. Then for Solo you have the $100-$150 million for advertising, it won't be getting above that. Then Last Jedi and Solo also caused a downturn in merchandise sales for Star Wars as well. It hurt them well.

From what I hear(don't know for sure), Star Wars merchandise sales are in the toilet.

Also, it's even more dire when Disney isn't even close to recouping their 4.2 billion purchase cost of Lucasfilm and we are talking about a Star Wars film LOSING a 100 million dollars.

Despite all the flops, it has been far from a disastrous year for Disney.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/disney-box-office-2018-1203085934/
Right...that's why I said "outside of the two big Marvel hits and Incredibles 2". They were gargantuan hits but the fact that the rest of their release slate were almost all money-losers and at least 3 of them list 100 million apiece is a very troubling sign of the overall health of the studio.

Like a previous poster said: Marvel is keeping them afloat.

Yeah, to me if these are deemed "flops" then Disney really needs to re-evaluate things. Ralph Breaks the Internet is already the 7th highest grossing Disney Animated movie - if that isn't enough to turn a profit then they need to change their model I think
My numbers are slightly off because I didn't account for the varying earnings for the opening 2 weekends (I think that's actually 70% take instead of 50% like the rest of the run) and from certain theater chains (Disney in particular earns more from major chains than other distributors). So Ralph has a good chance of not being a flop in the end still. But it's budget was much higher than it should've been. The film should've been an earner for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter