First official picture of the cast of Aladdin

It will be interesting to see how well this does. Disney has actually had more flops and disappointments this year than hits...especially in relation to their budgets.

Even Ralph Breaks the Internet will struggle to break even. Mary Poppins has a 130 million dollar budget and it's primary markets are the U.S. and the UK so it needs to really break out in these two countries. The problem is that there is such a buzz surrounding Aquaman that MPR is feeling like less of an "event" than was expected.

It will be interesting to see how well this does. Disney has actually had more flops and disappointments this year than hits...especially in relation to their budgets.

Even Ralph Breaks the Internet will struggle to break even. Mary Poppins has a 130 million dollar budget and it's primary markets are the U.S. and the UK so it needs to really break out in these two countries. The problem is that there is such a buzz surrounding Aquaman that MPR is feeling like less of an "event" than was expected.

Really? Guess maybe it depends on who you are but I know literally no one that is interested in Aquaman and tons of people that are planning to see or already have their tickets for MPR

I do agree that Disney's budgets get out of control. Ralph, for example, will do fine (already at $285m worldwide) but the budget was $175 million ... that would look a lot better if it was on a budget of $95 million or something

But I don't think they had too many "flops" - Christophe Robin also should be fine at $197m worldwide, (budget is $70-75m). Even the Nutcraker which didn't do well domestically, but has made $160m worldwide. now the budget was ~$130m so when you add in marketing and stuff it will likely lose money, but not a disaster. Even A Wrinkle in Time will likely cover it's budget ($133m worldwide gross vs a budget of $103m).

I know Solo was a disappointement but it still made just shy of $400m worldwide - though it's budget got out of control due to the reshoots so it likely won't cover all expenses

And obviously Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2 help cover any of those gabs and then some

Really? Guess maybe it depends on who you are but I know literally no one that is interested in Aquaman and tons of people that are planning to see or already have their tickets for MPR

I do agree that Disney's budgets get out of control. Ralph, for example, will do fine (already at $285m worldwide) but the budget was $175 million ... that would look a lot better if it was on a budget of $95 million or something

But I don't think they had too many "flops" - Christophe Robin also should be fine at $197m worldwide, (budget is $70-75m). Even the Nutcraker which didn't do well domestically, but has made $160m worldwide. now the budget was ~$130m so when you add in marketing and stuff it will likely lose money, but not a disaster. Even A Wrinkle in Time will likely cover it's budget ($133m worldwide gross vs a budget of $103m).

I know Solo was a disappointement but it still made just shy of $400m worldwide - though it's budget got out of control due to the reshoots so it likely won't cover all expenses

And obviously Black Panther, Infinity War, and Incredibles 2 help cover any of those gabs and then some
I'll agree with you on Aquaman, the trailers did little to excite the general populous. It doesn't help that Aquaman is generally viewed as a joke. But the film is tracking for a decent open, around $65 million.

Ralph Wrecks the Internet has made $286 million. But that's
$155 domestic and $131 foreign. In general a studio keeps 50% domestic and 30% foreign, so that is $77.5 domestic and $39.3 foreign. Against a $175 million budget, they've only made $116.8 million. That's not great.

I'll agree with you on Aquaman, the trailers did little to excite the general populous. It doesn't help that Aquaman is generally viewed as a joke. But the film is tracking for a decent open, around $65 million.

$155 domestic and $131 foreign. In general a studio keeps 50% domestic and 30% foreign, so that is $77.5 domestic and $39.3 foreign. Against a $175 million budget, they've only made $116.8 million. That's not great.
I think Ralph is gonna struggles now with Spider-Man out. People are saying Spider-Man should win best animated film of the year. That would be big for that to beat Disney.

yeah, not great - but obviously not done making $ yet and they also have had a ton of merchandise tie-ins too that help with profits. Guess it depends on definition of "flop" ... but do agree their budgets get too high often. As I said, if they were able to make Ralph for more like $95m - or heck, even like $125m it would look a lot better

I don't have high hopes for this.

Realistically what was the last really good movie Smith has been in? I Am Legend (not the theatrical ending)? The Pursuit of Happyness? It's been 10+ years.

As a fan of James Wan, I'm interested to see what he does with Aquaman. Not enough to get me into theaters. There aren't many movies that get me into that seat.

A movie really needs to make 2x it's budget to be considered successful Anything below that is not really covering it's costs. That said Disney is still tracking for a record breaking year! It was already their number 2 box-office year in September, despite some high-profile misfires.

It really is the budgets that are out-of-control on movies these days. There is only so much audience money to go around, so having a dozen or more $200M+ pictures ensures that a lot of them will fail, or even that they all will if the spread is too thin.

yeah, not great - but obviously not done making $ yet and they also have had a ton of merchandise tie-ins too that help with profits. Guess it depends on definition of "flop" ... but do agree their budgets get too high often. As I said, if they were able to make Ralph for more like $95m - or heck, even like $125m it would look a lot better
I doubt they lose money on it overall after merchandising, but raw box office won't be enough. It's legs will hold it over some, but like rteetz said, Spider-Man is going to seriously eat into its long term stay that animated films tend to count on. Spider-Man is getting a lot more buzz now. Spider-Man will take the animated crowd, Aquaman taking the spectacle crowd, and Poppins taking the Disney crowd, Ralph won't go on much longer. I don't see Ralph pulling in another $60 million, probably closer to $30 million, which certainly will place it in the flop column especially for Disney.

I think Ralph is gonna struggles now with Spider-Man out. People are saying Spider-Man should win best animated film of the year. That would be big for that to beat Disney.

I do not get this. That Spider-verse movie looks so bad. I know everyone is praising it, but I find the animation off-putting and UGLY. It's so choppy! I get that they did that on purpose and were trying to get it to "look like a comic book" but as a long-time comic book fan, I just do not see it. I applaud that they wanted to try something new, but just because they tried doesn't mean they succeeded.

I do not get this. That Spider-verse movie looks so bad. I know everyone is praising it, but I find the animation off-putting and UGLY. It's so choppy! I get that they did that on purpose and were trying to get it to "look like a comic book" but as a long-time comic book fan, I just do not see it. I applaud that they wanted to try something new, but just because they tried doesn't mean they succeeded.
I don’t think it looks that bad. It’s not my favorite but I haven’t seen it yet either so I’ll reserve judgement.

obviously this is just one take but I saw Ryno from the DIS team commented that he was really worried about the animation style but actually thought it worked well and loved the movie overall

obviously this is just one take but I saw Ryno from the DIS team commented that he was really worried about the animation style but actually thought it worked well and loved the movie overall

I mean, I saw the preview after Venom. I really hate it. I can't imagine watching it for the full-length. I also dislike the character faces and such. They are just kinda misshapen. It doesn't really look like they do in comics at all. The only part I kinda like is the "four color" newsprint dots that you can see, however they really haven't used those in years. That blending of the retro and the modern just looks like a mess to me!

Lego Movie also tried that choppy, and at least there the animation was a bit prettier, though I still think if it was going to try to look like stop-motion it should have just been stop-motion? Stop-motion with Legos? That could've been awesome!

Now, regarding the actual topic of Aladdin - looks just fine to me! I hope this is one where they take it in a different direction instead of just being a shot-for-shot remake.

Last edited:
Its safe to say MCU has kept Disney in good shape this year. What happened to WiR? Is it a bad movie?

God I don't like Will Smith, he plays the same character in almost every movie he's in. The Rock would have been a better option.

And what about Aladdin? He looks like he's in his 30's.

So apparently after the release of this image, there has been some backlash against how the Genie looks. Will Smith has responded saying that this image is Genie in his hidden human form, but he will be blue and CGI for the majority of the film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!