First official picture of the cast of Aladdin

My numbers are slightly off because I didn't account for the varying earnings for the opening 2 weekends (I think that's actually 70% take instead of 50% like the rest of the run) and from certain theater chains (Disney in particular earns more from major chains than other distributors). So Ralph has a good chance of not being a flop in the end still. But it's budget was much higher than it should've been. The film should've been an earner for them.

and will be interesting how Mary Poppins Returns does ... even that has a budget of $130m. I am sure it will do well here - but will it do well Internationally (beyond the UK at least)?

Yeah, to me if these are deemed "flops" then Disney really needs to re-evaluate things. Ralph Breaks the Internet is already the 7th highest grossing Disney Animated movie - if that isn't enough to turn a profit then they need to change their model I think

Well, the problem in Hollywood right now for all studios is the soaring budgets. Sure, an Avengers or Jurassic (fill in the blank) can come along and make over a Billion dollars easily, but most movies can't, and when these big ones do, they are taking money away from other movies. Most movie-going Americans only go to the movies a few times per year. I say "movie-going" because most Americans go to the movie zero times per year. There is only so much wallet-share to go around. Hollywood is going to need to reign it in soon because so many big, expensive movies are flopping (or just not quite making it). Some movies could be perfectly successful if they kept their budgets down. For Wreck-It Ralph, heck, even Solo, it's hard to argue that they are "bad" movies or even unpopular. Solo made $84M on it's opening weekend - that's a lot of people going to see it. But, unfortunately, it had a huge budget that was exacerbated by reshoots, and it didn't have legs because of absolutely stiff competition. Again, people decide where to spend their dollars, and for many people, one movie wins. Of course, with Solo that was unexpected, but for niche movies like Nutcracker or Wrinkle in Time, those could be perfectly successful on $50M budgets, but never on $100M+ ones.

and will be interesting how Mary Poppins Returns does ... even that has a budget of $130m. I am sure it will do well here - but will it do well Internationally (beyond the UK at least)?
Poppins should do well in the US. Tracking at 70 for opening, then should get to at least 150 without much trouble. Internationally will likely be similar to Christopher Robin, so about 100-120, and primarily in the U.K. So hitting 300 isn't too outrageous, which is about what it needs after marketing.

♪ ♫ ♪

Innnnnn West Agrabah, born and raised, in the market place is where I spent most of my days
Sweatin out, maxin', and relaxin' all hot, and all stealing some bread from baker's booth spot.
When a couple of guards, saw I was up to no good ... started makin' trouble in my neighborhood.
I got in one little fight and Abu got scared ... so a wizard had me get a lamp, my life it was spared!

♪ ♫ ♪

They need to pay you for that and put it in the movie.

Well, the problem in Hollywood right now for all studios is the soaring budgets. Sure, an Avengers or Jurassic (fill in the blank) can come along and make over a Billion dollars easily, but most movies can't, and when these big ones do, they are taking money away from other movies. Most movie-going Americans only go to the movies a few times per year. I say "movie-going" because most Americans go to the movie zero times per year. There is only so much wallet-share to go around. Hollywood is going to need to reign it in soon because so many big, expensive movies are flopping (or just not quite making it). Some movies could be perfectly successful if they kept their budgets down. For Wreck-It Ralph, heck, even Solo, it's hard to argue that they are "bad" movies or even unpopular. Solo made $84M on it's opening weekend - that's a lot of people going to see it. But, unfortunately, it had a huge budget that was exacerbated by reshoots, and it didn't have legs because of absolutely stiff competition. Again, people decide where to spend their dollars, and for many people, one movie wins. Of course, with Solo that was unexpected, but for niche movies like Nutcracker or Wrinkle in Time, those could be perfectly successful on $50M budgets, but never on $100M+ ones.

I especially agree with your last point. I mean, I get spending $ to make a Star Wars movie but they need to figure out how to make films like the Nutcraker or even like Tomorrowland for more like $50m - then you don’t need to worry amazing to still make some money and if every 5th does great you make a ton of $

The whole thing looks off. I was already planning on not seeing it, so it doesn't matter to me. Most of the remakes or the sequels are not getting me out the door to the theaters.

2019 has so many movies next year as well. We only have so much money Disney!! I just looked up the list and my god....

Captain Marvel
Dumbo
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Lion King
Spiderman: Far From Home
Artemis Fowl
Frozen 2
Star Wars IX

2019 has so many movies next year as well. We only have so much money Disney!! I just looked up the list and my god....

Captain Marvel
Dumbo
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Lion King
Artemis Fowl
Frozen 2
Star Wars IX
You forgot Avenger End Game

Spiderman is technically Sony.

It makes sense that it's from the Prince Ali / disguise scenes. With that said, this segment better happen.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have zero interest in this. As for WiR, I'm still surprised they made a sequel. It's not like the Incredibles where fans were clamoring for a sequel from almost the time it ended and grew more of a following since its release. With the stable of movies Disney has, WiR would have been on the bottom of the pile for a sequel just based on the original's box office performance.

I have zero interest in this. As for WiR, I'm still surprised they made a sequel. It's not like the Incredibles where fans were clamoring for a sequel from almost the time it ended and grew more of a following since its release. With the stable of movies Disney has, WiR would have been on the bottom of the pile for a sequel just based on the original's box office performance.

I wish more people remembered that 'you can't top pigs with pigs'.

But the first WiR was very successful. I agree that the story didn't necessarily clamor for a sequel, but the business was there. Of course, if they had maybe struck while the iron was hot instead of waiting 6 years, it may have fared better.

Last edited:
Poppins should do well in the US. Tracking at 70 for opening, then should get to at least 150 without much trouble. Internationally will likely be similar to Christopher Robin, so about 100-120, and primarily in the U.K. So hitting 300 isn't too outrageous, which is about what it needs after marketing.

If Poppins opens at 70, it should end up with around 200.

Captain Marvel
Dumbo
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
Lion King
Artemis Fowl
Frozen 2
Star Wars IX

I didn't realize Artemis Fowl was going to be a Disney-made film...

If Poppins opens at 70, it should end up with around 200.

I didn't realize Artemis Fowl was going to be a Disney-made film...
It should, I just meant that it should hit 150 domestic without trouble so should be able to turn a healthy profit.

I'm really looking forward to Artemis Fowl, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out after all this time. I hope it's good.

I do not get this. That Spider-verse movie looks so bad. I know everyone is praising it, but I find the animation off-putting and UGLY. It's so choppy! I get that they did that on purpose and were trying to get it to "look like a comic book" but as a long-time comic book fan, I just do not see it. I applaud that they wanted to try something new, but just because they tried doesn't mean they succeeded.

Reserve your judgment until after you watch it. Like you, I was initially turned off by the animation style and storyline, however after seeing the it Christmas Eve, I ended up completely overwhelmed with how much I loved it.

I daresay it's made my top three list of all time animated favorites.

I also just recently saw Ralph 2, and Spiderman killed Disney's sequel (in my opinion) hands down. Better storytelling, Spiderman's animation style was unique and fit the concept, and unlike with Ralph 2, I left feeling satisfied with the ending and overall direction of the movie itself.

Im not much of a new movie person. I believe everything from animated films to CGI to live action have gotten stale. The last couple of movies I actually went to were a waste. Noone can tell a new story. Its too easy to do a "reboot" or remake and then hope it does well. Unfortunately, the remakes and reboots tend to be awful if youve seen the original. When Hollywood can actually come up with an original idea again, maybe Ill pay attention. Until then, the originals on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, HBO, Showtime, Starz are well worth the time and less expensive. From the mini series to full series to original movies, those outlets are attracting major stars and doing very well at providing good entertainment.

Considering how much money Will Smith pours into the movies he is working in, whatever he thinks is a good creative idea, generally happens. ;)

But why is Jafar so hot? Not rooting for Aladdin anymore, Jafar wins, end of story.

I'll agree with you on Aquaman, the trailers did little to excite the general populous. It doesn't help that Aquaman is generally viewed as a joke. But the film is tracking for a decent open, around $65 million.

Ralph Wrecks the Internet has made $286 million. But that's
$155 domestic and $131 foreign. In general a studio keeps 50% domestic and 30% foreign, so that is $77.5 domestic and $39.3 foreign. Against a $175 million budget, they've only made $116.8 million. That's not great.

Aqua man was incredible. Such a great experience seeing it on the big screen with great sound.

I just don’t see Will smith as the genie. I’m curious how the trailer looks but Aladdin and Jasmine don’t even seem happy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter