Do not disturb gone (BLT)

Service dogs, by law, are permitted everywhere. If there was one running about chasing a ball at the resort, my bet was it was some well earned down time for the dog. They do work hard trying to remain attentive to their handlers. No one with a pet trying to pass it off as a SA would be out playing with it like that.

Anyone interested in finding out what a SA's life may look like should check out The Frey Life on youtube for more info on service animals. Mary has CF and her dog Oliver works hard for her, but still gets some down time with her husband Peter.

I'm willing to bet your assumption is wrong. You didn't see what I saw...sneaking the dog off the leash too..

BLT is not one of the "pet friendly" resorts but are not allowed to ask any questions about your pet. This nonsense of passing off a dog as a service animal by having it wear a vest one buys off Amazon is an insult to true service animals and their trainers and owners.

Sorry for going off topic.

You didn't see what I saw...sneaking the dog off the leash too..

Service animals have the same basic needs as any other animal. They need to run free off the leash for a bit every day. Just because it was off the leash when you saw it does not mean it isn't a service animal.

Service animals have the same basic needs as any other animal. They need to run free off the leash for a bit every day. Just because it was off the leash when you saw it does not mean it isn't a service animal.
Then the solution is to take the dog to a dog park. It is not to allow the dog to run around off leash. At least that isn't the solution while at Disney.

Disney specifically states that dogs are not to be off leash.

Yes, service dogs are allowed at any resort. But that doesn't mean that service dogs are allowed to run around (off leash).

Since Disney often provides the transportation to/from the airport, a family with a service animal may not have transportation to take the animal to a dog park. Perhaps Disney should make a small fenced dog run at each resort for those with service animals.

Last edited:

I don't have an issue with a service animal at the resorts. If you have a dog/cat/whatever allergy let that be known at time of check in so you can be better accommodated.

Since Disney often provides the transportation to/from the airport, a family with a service animal may not have transportation to take the animal to a dog park. Perhaps Disney should make a small fenced dog run at each resort for those with service animals.
That could be. But until that time, service dogs have to follow the rules of being leashed.

That could be. But until that time, service dogs have to follow the rules of being leashed.

Do you own a dog? My dog does not potty well on leash in a unknown area to him. Sometimes I will let him off leash to allow him more freedom to do his business.

I have seen other guests break so many rules, a dog off leash to do his/her business does not phase me.

As do I.

I also have a carry permit, and have carried to Disney resorts and other vacation destinations. I'm not sure why "going to Disney" would be so different than any other destination.

DVC resorts are not public property, the are condo associations and private. And private property can prohibit guns, just like Disney parks can.

Do you own a dog? My dog does not potty well on leash in a unknown area to him. Sometimes I will let him off leash to allow him more freedom to do his business.

I have seen other guests break so many rules, a dog off leash to do his/her business does not phase me.

As someone who almost lost an eye and had to have my face stitched back together from a dog attack because it was not leashed any dog off it’s leash is a big problem to me.

As someone who almost lost an eye and had to have my face stitched back together from a dog attack because it was not leashed any dog off it’s leash is a big problem to me.

Then report it to a CM if you see it. Or you can ask the dog owner to please put their dog on leash.

I agree with a previous poster it would be nice if Disney had a dog park/off leash area esp at the resorts that are now allowing pets in the rooms.

Last edited:
I have to ask, what the response to the person walking in the room while you were in your skivvies?
Well, she came in and i said, "Why are you coming in?" then i got dressed and went out into the hallway to ask why she came in and her response was the sign was changed and then she ducked into a room. That is the point where i grabbed the now minutes old sign and went looking for a manager at the Contemporary....who had never seen it before. I am a teacher, i can tell when somebody is lying to me and she was genuinely confused with the new sign.

A previous poster has stated weapons of any kind are not allowed at the resort.
You can legally carry a firearm at disney but they will then ask you to surrender it or leave property...which is their right. It is private property. You then either surrender it or leave. You can not lock it up in your car as that is a federal offense. Because Disney (and universal) has a license to manufacture high explosives (i.e. fireworks) it is against federal law to leave a firearm in your vehicle anyplace on property. Any other park (ie non-disney) should be ok as long as they don't make their own fireworks. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...03_1_walt-disney-disney-world-florida-gun-law

As far as the comment about them knocking on the door and waking you up...well they knocked on my door at 9:17am this morning and woke us up. Last night was new years nite... Was not happy, just ignored it. They did try to come in but i had the chain lock on and they stopped trying at that point. They came back about an hour ago (3pm~) to empty my empty trash can and they did take the empty trash bag....

So with daily trash removal, I assume the trash and recycling room is, until further notice, unneeded.
I certainly won't miss having to hold my breath while I open the door and pop the trash in the bin.

Always stuck me as odd how bad those room smell considering there is only 1 bin for trash and the number of units would mean the trash was emptied out several times a day. Reading comments I'm getting the feeling most folk never took out their own trash.

Well, she came in and i said, "Why are you coming in?" then i got dressed and went out into the hallway to ask why she came in and her response was the sign was changed and then she ducked into a room. That is the point where i grabbed the now minutes old sign and went looking for a manager at the Contemporary....who had never seen it before. I am a teacher, i can tell when somebody is lying to me and she was genuinely confused with the new sign.

You can legally carry a firearm at disney but they will then ask you to surrender it or leave property...which is their right. It is private property. You then either surrender it or leave. You can not lock it up in your car as that is a federal offense. Because Disney (and universal) has a license to manufacture high explosives (i.e. fireworks) it is against federal law to leave a firearm in your vehicle anyplace on property. Any other park (ie non-disney) should be ok as long as they don't make their own fireworks. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...03_1_walt-disney-disney-world-florida-gun-law

As far as the comment about them knocking on the door and waking you up...well they knocked on my door at 9:17am this morning and woke us up. Last night was new years nite... Was not happy, just ignored it. They did try to come in but i had the chain lock on and they stopped trying at that point. They came back about an hour ago (3pm~) to empty my empty trash can and they did take the empty trash bag....

I called DVC on Friday, I was told if you have the "Occupied" sign on your door they are not to knock. I would had complained to the manager.

We take out our own trash too, every morning on our way out for the day.

Yes, I have. In fact, I have owned one all of my adult life, in addition to having one while I was growing up.

I've also been attacked by a "very friendly" dog. I went to the emergency room for stitches, he went to the pound.

Dogs need to be leashed.

Yes, I have. In fact, I have owned one all of my adult life, in addition to having one while I was growing up.

I've also been attacked by a "very friendly" dog. I went to the emergency room for stitches, he went to the pound.

Dogs need to be leashed.

As I stated before if you see a dog off leash at the resort, let a CM know.

Her response was that the sign was changed. That's what she said to you?

Long - but here is the letter I just sent to DVC if anyone wants to read it. They don't even know their own policy yet. If people do not express they need to refine their tines & execution of this policy, then management will think it is fine.

Good afternoon,

I just returned from a 2 night stay at Bay Lake Tower, and I want to make note of an issue with the new “trash” policy. I have heard about and understand the policy, but we also come to Disney to relax. If housekeeping insists on entering the room - it is best to please do so when we are out.

We are 2 fairly young people (40’s) vacationing with no children and we take a nap every afternoon and relax before going back out in the evening. I went out to get my hair done at GF salon on the 30th of December, and my husband went to take a nap. We planned on being out very late in the park that night. He specifically asked for the “Occupied” card, and told the concierge he would be taking a nap and we did not want housekeeping coming for an hour or two. He locked the bolt, and this was around 3. I returned around 4. I texted him I was back and he got up to let me in. The housekeeper was down the hall saying he needed to come in, and I said well, he was asleep, give us a minute. I went in and my husband was just getting out of bed and dressing and the phone starts ringing, and it is housekeeping management saying they NEED to get in the room. So, they had all day, and since someone’s shift is ending they suddenly NEED to get in the room to “check off a box” on their paper. The housekeeping manager begins explaining on the phone to me that they need to inspect the room every day. I told them we had the room occupied sign on and hung up. I went down the hall and told the housekeeper to empty the trash (while my husband is still half-dressed) and he did. I am not sure what “inspection” means, but all he did was take out a few trash cans and left quickly. He never even looked up. Especially since it was obvious one person was half-dressed and half-asleep. If this has anything to do with “safety” it was a pretty pointless exercise. Is it “safety” inspection? Is it trash removal? No one can answer this as the front desk person began telling me about safety, but nothing about trash.

I told the front desk later and they said housekeeping should NOT be knocking and calling when the sign is up, and he would speak to them. I believe the management needs to figure out exactly what they are doing here. Is it an inspection or just a trash take out? Can we take a nap in the afternoon on OUR vacation or can we expect people pounding on the door and calling while the “Room Occupied” sign is out for a FEW HOURS ONLY. The reason we own 640 DVC points is so that we do not have to be “park commandos” from rope drop to the fireworks. We have no kids. We like to relax. We want to take a nap on many days and we do not want people pounding on our door or calling because they were not able to get to our room until the end of their shift and then were rushing about. Disney knows when we are in the park – we wear Magic Bands. They even know when we are on the 7 Dwarves Mine Train. I have seen the videos, and yet they insist on knocking on the door AND calling when he specifically said “I need a Room Occupied sign to hang because I am going to lay down for a few hours”. This is the most un-magical service I have ever had at Disney. We were there 12/7-12-15; 12/29-12/31 and we are coming back in 3 weeks. Three trips in less than two months, so we must think Disney is doing something right, but this was a major error in my eyes. Please figure out a way for people to be able to take a nap without being hounded. How do I go about setting this up when we return to BLT on the 21ST? I guess the next step is unplugging the phone if Disney staff cannot figure out a way to please do this unobtrusively. We really just want to sleep for an hour. I do not think that is too much to ask when I work hard to pay the Maintenance Fees and enjoy my trip. I have no other complaints about DVC, the rooms, the staff, etc. We have loved every trip more than the last, and we really are impressed by something new and wonderful each time. But the lack of communication, courtesy and understanding on this new policy, is, to put it bluntly – a major screw up on the part of Disney. We just want to take a nap in the afternoon – I don’t care when else they come in.

Thanks for your time,

I still have to assume this security protocol was prompted by insurance companies trying to minimize lawsuits, as there are suddenly other hotel chains with similar policies. But the insurance companies have no idea how the hotel chains should implement the policy, leaving the hotel chains in the middle, to try to figure it out. The insurance companies do not care if the hotels lose business, or if it affects the hotels bottom line, as long as the insurance companies cover themselves.

This all seems to be a very backwards response to an incident that never should have happened. How did we get here?

I understand why Disney popped signage and fencing up all over their property to prevent any more issues with alligators. They're a natural hazard. Yes, Disney was in part at fault for a most tragic, yet natural event. Did Disney pop up the fences to lower insurance prices? Probably. Would they have done it otherwise? I'd like to think the answer is yes, fences were long past due.

The shooting from the hotel in Las Vegas was not the fault of the hotel. Unless one is to twist the circumstances and say that they intentionally allowed that man to have weapons in the room, only the most insane of juries or judges would find the hotel at fault. Glass falling from a shattered window should be covered under a hotel's insurance. But weapons and use of those? No... it seems to me that if the room inspections are being pushed by the insurance companies, that it is only because they have found a new reason to increase policy prices.

This bit where they must check every room every day is not warranted in the least. That said, I will find a way to work with my housekeeper to give her/him access once per day. Like I said before, this may have the positive effect of lowering repair costs on the rooms, and hopefully we will be able to keep nice things in good condition longer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter