Do not disturb gone (BLT)

If we don't watch it, In a few years people on here will say how reasonable and friendly the cavity searches are.

Yes, I get that. I personally think shoe removal piece at the airport is just dumb. The nice part about Disney being a corporate, and not public, entity is that they will always have to balance safety with convenience for their guests. I'm sure things will get more intrusive over time. It will probably end up with us walking through x-ray machines anytime we go to the mall, any hotel, or sporting event. Dumb what we have been driven to, but I understand the reasoning behind the response from Disney and others.
If it ends up too intrusive for my liking, I just won't go anymore.

We are nappers while on vacation. It's not unusual for us to go to the parks in the morning and come back early afternoon for a swim/nap/to relax. I would hear a knock on the door and go to the door, DH would not because he sleeps very soundly and has hearing loss. That would be startling to him to wake up with security/housekeeping in the room; however, if this somehow prevents a tragic event from happening, we are fine with it.

I don't particularly like taking off my shoes and jacket/sweater at an airport, having my bags gone through at park entrance and occasionally going through a metal detector, wearing a badge at work, etc... however, I know it's done for my and my family's protection, so I accept it and go on.

We are nappers while on vacation. It's not unusual for us to go to the parks in the morning and come back early afternoon for a swim/nap/to relax. I would hear a knock on the door and go to the door, DH would not because he sleeps very soundly and has hearing loss. That would be startling to him to wake up with security/housekeeping in the room; however, if this somehow prevents a tragic event from happening, we are fine with it.

I don't particularly like taking off my shoes and jacket/sweater at an airport, having my bags gone through at park entrance and occasionally going through a metal detector, wearing a badge at work, etc... however, I know it's done for my and my family's protection, so I accept it and go on.

I follow a very similar schedule to yours. I wonder if it will be possible to alert the front desk to your typical napping routine and request that the room be checked during hours when you are normally out of it. This would be especially helpful to those who have small children who do not want to, but need to, take a nap.

I follow a very similar schedule to yours. I wonder if it will be possible to alert the front desk to your typical napping routine and request that the room be checked during hours when you are normally out of it. This would be especially helpful to those who have small children who do not want to, but need to, take a nap.
Since it seems to be housekeeping that is being trained and expected to do the room checks then we'd need to call housekeeping and discuss it with them. I doubt they have any room check scheduling software setup yet, but, if enough folk request it they could have something developed for the staff. It still doesn't mean they'd be able to keep to a schedule since housekeepers have their normal duties to perform and are overburdened many days with the large DVC rooms to take care of.

Since it seems to be housekeeping that is being trained and expected to do the room checks then we'd need to call housekeeping and discuss it with them. I doubt they have any room check scheduling software setup yet, but, if enough folk request it they could have something developed for the staff. It still doesn't mean they'd be able to keep to a schedule since housekeepers have their normal duties to perform and are overburdened many days with the large DVC rooms to take care of.

housekeeping has a very, very hard time just keeping up with the cleaning. If they want a room check then security should be doing it not housekeeping. Knowing Disney they will still blame the housekeeping if something goes wrong.

something security should do - cleaning room is not one - however checking rooms for things that could hurt others is definitely what they should do. housekeeping does not have the time or training to do this. Think about it - if it is a security problem (like one of those bombs that do NOT look like a bomb) can a housekeeper really identity it - housekeeper is their to clean - not to do security. My opinion.

The shooter in Vegas was well known in the hotels, had been a great customer for years, where he gambled big bucks. Suspect he would have walked any ‘trusted customer’ test.
Didn’t mean he wasn’t a psychopath unfortunately. When you have a situation where psychos can get high powered weaponary, Disney has a massive risk. Particularly if it leaves people undisturbed for 4+ days at a time.

Or maybe what people think happened and what really happened are not the same ;)

housekeeping has a very, very hard time just keeping up with the cleaning. If they want a room check then security should be doing it not housekeeping. Knowing Disney they will still blame the housekeeping if something goes wrong.

something security should do - cleaning room is not one - however checking rooms for things that could hurt others is definitely what they should do. housekeeping does not have the time or training to do this. Think about it - if it is a security problem (like one of those bombs that do NOT look like a bomb) can a housekeeper really identity it - housekeeper is their to clean - not to do security. My opinion.

I highly doubt that these people will be lifelong housekeepers. I would assume they are people with a background in security. It is much easier to train someone who works in security how to remove and replace garbage bags than it is to train housekeepers to look for potential threats during a very basic visual sweep of a room.

Hi All,
I posted this earlier but the thread doesn't seem to have stuck. I post it here just as an FYI.

Today the maid walked in on me while i was walking around the room in my skivvies...not that you need to know that but that is the conditions under which i found out that they have started a new policy. The "do not disturb" sign is now gone replaced with the one i have shown below.

Two managers told me they will enter each room, each day to check for maintenance and security issues. Plus, according to the text on the new sign they can also come into your room for any reason they choose (please see images below).

.View attachment 289972 View attachment 289973
fDHXMjPQUiXRwUkq2
AF1QipMdOMe9jmyurjo-qpU_zoMe47J-nHXWOrrvvOk1

I have to ask, what the response to the person walking in the room while you were in your skivvies?

I have yet to stay DVC, but the regular rooms have the additional latch. We keep it on the door whenever we are in the room. Is that gone?

I have yet to stay DVC, but the regular rooms have the additional latch. We keep it on the door whenever we are in the room. Is that gone?
The latch you speak of is still there, and can be employed to slow down the entry to the room. The issue really pertains to folk who cannot use that latch because they have family members out of the room who still need to get back in.

I've decided it's a good thing they'll be checking every unit every day. I'd love to know what the housekeepers found in the villa directly above ours this last trip. To our ears it sounded as though they were smashing floor tiles and furniture. So while the checks could increase costs, it can also have the effect of catching those who abuse the property before they have a chance to do more damage.

I thought I read somewhere they have dogs in the parking lots sniffing cars for weapons etc.
Well, that will be interesting.

You can't take a weapon into the park. And now, with these checks, you shouldn't leave a weapon where housekeeping might find it in your room.

Where the heck are you suppose to store it?

You can't take a weapon into the park. And now, with these checks, you shouldn't leave a weapon where housekeeping might find it in your room.

Better question is: Why would anyone need to travel to Disney with a weapon?

I wonder if Disney will be checking the campers (owned vehicles, verses the cabins) out in Fort Wilderness or if they are exempt.

Better question is: Why would anyone need to travel to Disney with a weapon?

I wonder if Disney will be checking the campers (owned vehicles, verses the cabins) out in Fort Wilderness or if they are exempt.
Some people travel pretty far to get to Disney.

And amazingly enough, the right to keep and bear arms doesn't end simply because you are traveling to Disney.

They've never wanted them in the room despite what people actually do, I don't think they'll find a stored weapon but if they did I suspect they'll ask for it to go in the car or I have read the resorts offer firearm storage.

I have also been at DLH when security asked the people in the room across from us to pack up some guns and store them at the front desk (they left them out like idiots) of course in CA they can't legally stop you from exercising your rights in your temporary residence but Disney doesn't care.

I'll also add that the general public seems to think dogs can detect anything and while that's mostly true people don't realize that dogs are trained to locate certain things..in all likelihood the dogs you see are bomb wake dogs and not specifically firearms detection dogs.

Last edited:

Most handguns should fit in the rooms safe.

Put your latch on the door and this will not happen. Be prepared going forward that they can and will be checking rooms.
I think the whole thing is ultimately completely bizarre. If I have a an occupied sign out and someone is insisting on entry, I am not going to be a happy camper. This seems like a drastic measure that will do more to make you feel like you're in an insane asylum than Disney World. I for one will be selling my DVC if this turns out to be a constant inconvenience. I'll stay somewhere where they have total respect for paying customer. Whoever thougth up this loon of a plan must be part of the new Disney experience because I have noticed things changing a lot lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter