Do not disturb gone (BLT)

Since security liability is the reason for the room inspections, placing signs, locking the door, flipping the latch, blocking the door will not keep them from inspecting the room. Keep in mind that the CM's are just doing their job, they do not want to be there, the lawyers and bean counters ordered the change, not the CM's.

:earsboy: Bill

I searched for a answer to a recent question about this issue and this post came up . I asked about making sure someone is not in the room when we are not there BECAUSE of a firearm in the safe . We have traveled to Disney many many times over the years and my Dh does take his firearm ( LE OFFICER , his dept policy is that he has to have his firearm anywhere he goes in Florida ) and we have always informed the resort at check in and had no issues because he does not carry in the parks ( he is exempt when doing things like rides , beach etc etc ) and they have always said just lock it in the safe , they do not want the responsibility of having it in the office safe . I don’t know how this applies to non LE people with carry permits but I know they have less options on where to carry like courthouses and schools where LE can still carry their weapon .
I wouldn’t want anyone in the room alone given they probably have access to the safe also and we also have medications that in the past have been stolen from the rooms .I am ok with any safety procedures they have I would just prefer to be IN the room to make sure nothing goes missing ... especially a gun and badge . We have always made sure to put the DND sign out to prevent this in the past so hopefully it won’t be a big issue in the future .

I searched for a answer to a recent question about this issue and this post came up . I asked about making sure someone is not in the room when we are not there BECAUSE of a firearm in the safe . We have traveled to Disney many many times over the years and my Dh does take his firearm ( LE OFFICER , his dept policy is that he has to have his firearm anywhere he goes in Florida ) and we have always informed the resort at check in and had no issues because he does not carry in the parks ( he is exempt when doing things like rides , beach etc etc ) and they have always said just lock it in the safe , they do not want the responsibility of having it in the office safe . I don’t know how this applies to non LE people with carry permits but I know they have less options on where to carry like courthouses and schools where LE can still carry their weapon .
I wouldn’t want anyone in the room alone given they probably have access to the safe also and we also have medications that in the past have been stolen from the rooms .I am ok with any safety procedures they have I would just prefer to be IN the room to make sure nothing goes missing ... especially a gun and badge . We have always made sure to put the DND sign out to prevent this in the past so hopefully it won’t be a big issue in the future .

I realize many newer resort have the digital safes, but OKW has key safes, I checked into a unti where the safe was locked and there was no key. The resort manager has to come to the room to open it and inventory the contents. So it maybe that no one other than a manager can get entry to the safes at the resorts, even the digital safes.

For safe storage requirements I normally use a nano gun vault placed inside the room safe, this meets the requirement that only YOU or DH in your case has access ..of course it's not perfect.

That’s good to know ! I just have to figure out a solution to the medication issue , unfortunately I had a housekeeper steal medications on a previous trip and a sentimental piece of jewelry ( a chain with a gold badge my dh had made for me ) :( that was at AKL our favorite resort .

That’s good to know ! I just have to figure out a solution to the medication issue , unfortunately I had a housekeeper steal medications on a previous trip and a sentimental piece of jewelry ( a chain with a gold badge my dh had made for me ) :( that was at AKL our favorite resort .
Well gun vaults fit more than just guns, consider getting a 2nd larger one and tethering it to room furniture.

Since security liability is the reason for the room inspections, placing signs, locking the door, flipping the latch, blocking the door will not keep them from inspecting the room. Keep in mind that the CM's are just doing their job, they do not want to be there, the lawyers and bean counters ordered the change, not the CM's.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

Doing any of the above is likely to garner you more attention, not chase anyone away.

::yes::::yes::::yes::

Doing any of the above is likely to garner you more attention, not chase anyone away.

I think you've misread intentions on this thread. I don't see anyone who is looking to chase away the cast members simply performing their duty. The theme seems to be how to live in harmony with them. Walking in on someone taking a shower or sleeping is the problem. A simple note asking them to return a bit later would not garner a ton of attention.

After much thought and discussion with my company we've decided a security cable on the laptop, secured to something solid such as the bed or desk is the way to go on the laptop issue. Drive encryption should keep the data safe, and of course, put it to sleep when leaving for more than a moment.

Also of issue are medications, jewelry, sidearms etc. I love the idea above of bringing a small bio-metric scan safe with us. Again, looping a cable around the desk should deter anyone from walking off with it. Handy for the small items, and not as inconvenient as having to go into the closet safe every time someone needs a dose of meds. (I'm one of those people for whom if it is out of sight, it's out of mind... we'd be at the park before I remembered someone didn't have the meds they needed.)

Last edited:
Since the purpose is to catch someone stock piling weapons for an attack, do we really think that they wouldn't put a note on their door telling the room inspector to come back later???

I had the flu. DH called on Sunday asking that the check would take place soon since he wanted to go out and I wanted to sleep. They came within 30 minutes. This was SSR.

I had the flu. DH called on Sunday asking that the check would take place soon since he wanted to go out and I wanted to sleep. They came within 30 minutes. This was SSR.
I hope you're feeling better. I had the flu during my December trip. It's awful to be sick while on vacation.

We keep meds locked in luggage (that has tamper evident locking zippers) or the room safe.

Also: https://www.pacsafe.com/accessories/portable-safes/

I realize many newer resort have the digital safes, but OKW has key safes, I checked into a unti where the safe was locked and there was no key. The resort manager has to come to the room to open it and inventory the contents. So it maybe that no one other than a manager can get entry to the safes at the resorts, even the digital safes.

Security had to come open a locked digital safe at PVB for me last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter