Do not disturb gone (BLT)

Interesting, so I assume random or targeted since it's just not practical for every room.

thanks

Suspect random, as the guy who posted it seems a fine upstanding member of the community!
BUT they've had them in France for some time in the hotels so I'm sure they have any protocols worked out, if this was indeed what this dog was doing.
It wouldn't surprise me with this very quick and sudden implementation (announced one day, happens the next and I even have a suspicion the DVC email was only sent to break this news to members, mixing it in with all the other stuff already announced), that they've had some serious intel. Pure speculation of course, but it strikes me as a bit odd, the whole thing.
Anyway I'm glad Disney are trying to keep my family safe when we travel.
It was only a few months before the Manchester Arena bomb attack that I walked in that arena and commented to a colleague how, with no frisking etc, a nutter could bring in a gun or bomb. I never thought it would happen there, and so quickly. WDW must be a big target for the jihadis etc. I'm just surprised it's taken so long to implement what we have now seen, but as stated, very glad they have.

Makes me think about our upcoming trip to L.A and Vegas. Normally for a few days stay I would not use housekeeping. The hotel we are staying at in L.A. already said no deliveries accepted "due to the incident in Las Vegas".

And at our Vegas hotel they did already say they will be implementing new security measures...

They are bringing sniffer dogs in, they can sniff firearms and explosives. Hiding your gun will do no good.....

I’d rather they search and check all who enter WDW property. Once you are in though you are good and we won’t burst your magical bubble. May be impractical but to me it would seem like an actual measure to add safety for us. I am not some safety guy so not saying I know what I am talking about but dogs and regular checks feels like needle in the haystack type of work.

Dont matter though not like we have a say in this matter.

Someone on another forum reported knock on door, door opened, guy with a Beagle like sniffer dog was in his doorway.

What about those guests that are allergic to dogs, wonder if the presence of a dog in their room will cause them to get a allergic reaction?

Imho I don’t care if I get a daily visit, I’m always latching the door when at “home”

What about those guests that are allergic to dogs, wonder if the presence of a dog in their room will cause them to get a allergic reaction?

Imho I don’t care if I get a daily visit, I’m always latching the door when at “home”
Suppose the dog is only in for a very short period to sniff about. It won't be leaving much in the way of allergens.

The latch and deadbolt can be opened by security, they have tools for that. But I suspect that if people remove the Room Occupied sign when they are out of the room, then housekeeping will come in. Security would be highly interested in a room that always refuses entrance. The Las Vegas Terrorist changed how hotel security is thinking. I am not thrilled about a sniffer dog coming into my room either due to allergies. Will Disney pay for and emergency room visit if someone's throat closes up?

Suppose the dog is only in for a very short period to sniff about. It won't be leaving much in the way of allergens.
Correct. I am highly allergic to dogs, but the canine walking up and down the TSA line caused me no issues :) I suspect that service dogs are bathed a bit more often than ordinary pets so as to reduce the allergens on their skin.

A dog snooting about my room for 15-30 seconds would do nothing to my asthma providing I don't touch it and it doesn't touch where I put my head. I can see how some parents may fear having the dog in their room for many reasons including allergies, but I'm sure Disney will be happy to give their room a very thorough manual inspection instead. If given the option, I'll take the dog and a faster walk through, thank you.

Last edited:
You can't refuse entry. You can ask them to come back later but that is about it. He came in to inspect my room today and he looked around the room, under the table, between the bed and wall and in the "hide away" areas. Was kinda of interesting. I have a feeling they are looking for cooking stuff. I wonder if they had a fire at one of the resorts from somebody cooking... I just wonder. The DVC studios have a microwave so cooking doesn't really require something that gets hot now a days. You can nuke everything now a days. I wonder if they are inspecting the rooms with kitchens?

Doesn't explain the dog but who knows. Personally, i can't do the dog. If they brought a dog in my room then they would have to deep clean the room before i could use it again. So i suspect you can refuse the dog and request a human search. As far as notice give to guests...no, no notice was given to the guests. no letter, no email and no word when checking in. They kept it pretty quiet as they do about everything. Even the manager i went to didn't know anything about it. She had to go ask another manager and the sign is dated DND1217 on the bottom. I assume that means "do not disturb 12 '17".

You can't refuse entry. You can ask them to come back later but that is about it. He came in to inspect my room today and he looked around the room, under the table, between the bed and wall and in the "hide away" areas. Was kinda of interesting. I have a feeling they are looking for cooking stuff. I wonder if they had a fire at one of the resorts from somebody cooking... I just wonder. The DVC studios have a microwave so cooking doesn't really require something that gets hot now a days. You can nuke everything now a days. I wonder if they are inspecting the rooms with kitchens?

Doesn't explain the dog but who knows. Personally, i can't do the dog. If they brought a dog in my room then they would have to deep clean the room before i could use it again. So i suspect you can refuse the dog and request a human search. As far as notice give to guests...no, no notice was given to the guests. no letter, no email and no word when checking in. They kept it pretty quiet as they do about everything. Even the manager i went to didn't know anything about it. She had to go ask another manager and the sign is dated DND1217 on the bottom. I assume that means "do not disturb 12 '17".

I doubt he’s looking for cooking stuff, they will be looking for guns and/ or bomb making stuff. Who came in was it housekeeping or security?
I still suspect they’ve had intelligence given to them that someone is/ has planned something.

I doubt he’s looking for cooking stuff, they will be looking for guns and/ or bomb making stuff. Who came in was it housekeeping or security?
I still suspect they’ve had intelligence given to them that someone is/ has planned something.

In terms of insurance, which can be quite pricy, cooking materials can add up a lot more than a bomb. Yes bombs and guns cause a ton more problems, but are much less likely to be used. It takes an evil person to want to hurt others. Any dummy, drunk, or absent minded person (I'm sure we have all been at least one of those three at one time or another) can burn a studio down by incorrectly cooking something. It happened with my neighbors when I was living in a studio apartment once.

In terms of insurance, which can be quite pricy, cooking materials can add up a lot more than a bomb. Yes bombs and guns cause a ton more problems, but are much less likely to be used. It takes an evil person to want to hurt others. Any dummy, drunk, or absent minded person (I'm sure we have all been at least one of those three at one time or another) can burn a studio down by incorrectly cooking something. It happened with my neighbors when I was living in a studio apartment once.
It happened at BLT last year. But o doubt that’s what this is about.

It happened at BLT last year. But o doubt that’s what this is about.

Me too. I think it is to avoid having something called "The Disney Event" along the lines of "Sandy Hook", etc. The cooking piece is just an added insurance benefit.

It was just housekeeping that has done the daily search for me. But seemed to be a lead person as the maid was looking to him as to what she should do. Don't know.

I actually already own one.

I've used it at hotels, for at night, when I stay alone. I figure I buys me a couple of extra minutes to prepare if someone is breaking in.

It basically holds the door closer to the closed position than the chain/bar.

It will be interesting when housekeeping/security walks in on someone naked and decides it is a good time to look everywhere. It sounds like the beginning of a nice little lawsuit.

Imagine.....people on vacation not wanting to be disturbed. If Disney is going to make us not want to be in our high priced rooms then why not just stay at All Stars, stay out of the room all day and save a bunch of money. Security aside this may not go over well with guests IMO.

Me too. I think it is to avoid having something called "The Disney Event" along the lines of "Sandy Hook", etc. The cooking piece is just an added insurance benefit.
Next big Disney Event is Marathon Weekend that starts on Jan 3 and runs through Jan 7.

Next big Disney Event is Marathon Weekend that starts on Jan 3 and runs through Jan 7.

Followed by another festival and Epcot. I love that these are the things that Disney is associated with. I am willing to put up with some reasonable, friendly interruptions to my trip in order to ensure that it stays that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter