• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

The Hogwarts Running Club has a sweet medal for their Half-Blood Prince Half Marathon right now, and the proceeds go to something called Project Purple (pancreatic cancer charity), in Alan Rickman's honor, and it's $25.

runDisney is doing their darndest to make me my dislike them a lot.

Wow you should see the discussion going on on the rundisney facebook page. you would think children are arguing rather than adults. Little too much of people being closed minded and too sensitive concerning people who get swept getting medals and whether they should be in rundisney events.

so i just want to make sure i get this right....you are basically going on a 5k run on your own at home, whether it be on a treadmill or outside. then you just tell them you did it? and thats it? :smooth:
No proof is sent in that you did it, it's just on you....so if you want to just buy them and not run, no one will know, or care.

I'm looking at it as kind of a collectable thing too...not in comparison as real Run Disney race medals, but it's own thing...like pins or vinylmation. And people keep dissing the plastic 5k medallions, I think they are cute because they have more color.... I don't think that one takes away from the other.

Wow you should see the discussion going on on the rundisney facebook page. you would think children are arguing rather than adults. Little too much of people being closed minded and too sensitive concerning people who get swept getting medals and whether they should be in rundisney events.
SMH

If people like that spent half as much time focused on themselves as they do on others, they could accomplish amazing things. Instead they waste their time and breath on things that have no impact on their lives.

The Hogwarts Running Club has a sweet medal for their Half-Blood Prince Half Marathon right now, and the proceeds go to something called Project Purple (pancreatic cancer charity), in Alan Rickman's honor, and it's $25.
When I saw the theme, I checked it out. Really don't care for the medal, or the shirt. I think that I will skip this one. Still undecided about the rD ones. If I sign up, I'll do them all. Heck, I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Sunday. That will cover all 3 rD virtual races. :upsidedow

I registered for the challenge. I think it will be a fun and motivating way to get in some runs over the hot summer months here in Florida! Plus I love Mickey! I only wish for that price that they would throw in a shirt.

Here's the deal. I'm on this dis site because my husband is a runner. He did star wars challenge, he will do the avengers challenge and he's doing goofy in jan. I'm fat. I'm sure I'd get swept in the 5k in disney. I signed up instantly! This is a great motivator for me to take my kids out on a walk this summer and become less fat. Maybe when he does Dopey in 2018, I can join him for the 5k and not get swept. LIFE GOALS!

I'll probably end up signing up because I'm a dumb sheep, if I can legit write it off on my taxes.

Wait, what? Can registration fees for charity runs be deducted on taxes? What % of the fee would be applicable for a Disney race? Is there a set %, or would you have to guess the cost of medal, T-shirt, etc?

And people keep dissing the plastic 5k medallions, I think they are cute because they have more color.... I don't think that one takes away from the other.

Amen! I ran the DL 5K last year specifically for the plastic medallion. I loved that design.

Here's the deal. I'm on this dis site because my husband is a runner. He did star wars challenge, he will do the avengers challenge and he's doing goofy in jan. I'm fat. I'm sure I'd get swept in the 5k in disney. I signed up instantly! This is a great motivator for me to take my kids out on a walk this summer and become less fat. Maybe when he does Dopey in 2018, I can join him for the 5k and not get swept. LIFE GOALS!

That's awesome! Have fun with it!

Wait, what? Can registration fees for charity runs be deducted on taxes? What % of the fee would be applicable for a Disney race? Is there a set %, or would you have to guess the cost of medal, T-shirt, etc?

No, you cannot deduct the fair market value (the registration amount charged) on your taxes. You might be able to deduct any additional donation made to the charity. Please consult your tax advisor for your specific situation.

And you do not need to prove that you actually ran each race. I thought most virtual races required you to submit proof that you actually did it.

I've seen very few that require it.. I've see where they would love you to post pics of you and your bib and your distance measuring device to celebrate. MOST virtual runs done by individuals are, as has been stated, a way to fundraise for a certain charity. I've put on a 5k and tagged on a virtual 5k to just get a few more people involved.. It cost me nothing else other than the postage to send the medals and shirts. I would still like to know how much of the fee goes to the LLS..

Just an FYI. Due to the wording of the RunDisney Blog that said "For the first time ever, you can experience a small taste of a runDisney race from home through a series of virtual races that will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.", some people are under the impression that some part of their registration fees are going towards this charity. A phone call to RunDisney this morning confirms that NO PART of the registration fee is going toward the charity. The only money going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the money that you can choose to donate during the registration process.

Virtual races are getting super popular right now. I hope if you're not actually in the parks it's at least a different medal. Or that they use some sort of tracking mechanism to show that you actually achieved the distance if it's the same medal.

Absolutely popular! I cannot travel to the runDisney events, so a virtual race allows me run a race in my own time and enjoy the parks when I get there. Sure, I would love to run through Epcot or the MK, but the cost of a weekend is not worth it for me when I'll have limited time.

So, happy virtual running!!

Just an FYI. Due to the wording of the RunDisney Blog that said "For the first time ever, you can experience a small taste of a runDisney race from home through a series of virtual races that will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.", some people are under the impression that some part of their registration fees are going towards this charity. A phone call to RunDisney this morning confirms that NO PART of the registration fee is going toward the charity. The only money going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the money that you can choose to donate during the registration process.

Still so many conflicting emotions about this. I see the stories of how people are going to use these races and medals as motivation, a special reward for kids, a chance to run Disney when going to a race weekend isn't an option, and/or in any number of other of ways that are certainly worthwhile and commendable. On the other hand, invoking charity to help sell the race when none of the actual entrance fee is going to be donated to said charity is completely on the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess I am just going chalk it up to business being business and choose to focus on the good aspects and hope everyone who signs up has a good experience.

Last edited:
Still so many conflicting emotions about this. I see the stories of how people are going to use these races and medals as motivation, a special reward for kids, a chance to run Disney when going to a race weekend isn't an option, and/or in any number of other of ways that are certainly worthwhile and commendable. On the other hand, invoking charity to help sell the race when none of the actual entrance fee is going to be donated to said charity is completely on the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess I am just going chalk it up to business being business and choose to focus on the good aspects and hope everyone who signs up has a good experience.

I'm all for running the races for the reasons you stated. I just saw a lot of people talking about how good it makes them feel to run for a charity. Even people who have friends and family who are affected by Leukemia so I feel it's important for those people to understand the actual facts about that part of the race.

I'll probably end up signing up because I'm a dumb sheep, if I can legit write it off on my taxes.

That said, one of my BFFs works at a low-income local elementary school. She's registering the "graduating" members of her school run club for a race and they're going to have a special event at the school where they run the 5K, they get their medals and then all have pizza and cake afterwards to celebrate the kids moving on to junior high. Because of situations, her students don't have the same opportunities to participate in local events like others do (parents working, cost of registration, etc.) and with the exception of our big marathon weekend, they don't get a chance to do things like this - let alone get bibs and medals for their runs.

And for that reason, I'm 100-percent on board with this.

What a great idea! Love that!!!

No proof is sent in that you did it, it's just on you....so if you want to just buy them and not run, no one will know, or care.

I'm looking at it as kind of a collectable thing too...not in comparison as real Run Disney race medals, but it's own thing...like pins or vinylmation. And people keep dissing the plastic 5k medallions, I think they are cute because they have more color.... I don't think that one takes away from the other.

I like the medallions too! It's one of the main reasons I've thought about adding a 5K to our race weekend and part of the appeal of Dopey. I really want one of those!!

Hmm... First, I want to know how much of the registration actually goes to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They aren't emphasizing that part of it nearly enough.

Second, my wife is FURIOUS that these could be metal while the actual 5ks are not. (She's never even run one of them!) They might not be metal, just shiny paint. Someone at Tinkerbell needs to report back.

Third, I wonder... Are they going to be losing some people/families who just do the 5ks, now that they can get this even more awesome medal for their kids? This gets back to the disconnect between Disney and runDisney. If I were Parks and Resorts, I would be against this.

According to someone who contacted RunDisney this morning, zero dollars of the registration goes to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Guess that's why it's not being emphasized. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter