Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

I think its cool.. Will i sign up? Since i just gave dis $370 for the chance to stand in line for 2 days with hopes of getting shiny metal objects with pointy backs... (Aka registered for the epcot pin event) Im good for now but seems to be crazy popular

5k gets plastic I think mainly because of the kids that run it I've heard, you only have to be 5 so maybe they want to make sure the medals are safe and they can't hurt themselves, although they could eat the plastic easier I suppose, but can't hit themselves or siblings as hard with it, who knows!!?

When I started running in High school unless you won an age group award or it was a marathon you didn't get a medal, but less people ran races then...so if it takes medals to get people active than that's great, at least it's Disney really selling it, unlike a knock off. I'm eating my words about being no to virtuals (although still not my money) so yeah RunDisney good one!

Oh that totally makes a lot of sense! I never thought about that with the plastic vs medal. Doh. And I'm a mom.

I used to row in college so I remember the lack of anything unless you won or placed as well. But I fully admit I'm a bling hoarder now, but I temper it with I'm also an "experience" hoarder which is why I sign up for races with really cool course or atmosphere as well.

Coincidentally, this morning I decided tomorrow was the day I was going to recommit to, let's call it trotting, not walking, not running! Lol and I saw these virtual races on FB, total motivation for me, no pre race jitters, just going out trotting a 5k and getting what looks like a neat medal. My bucket list includes a Disney race In WDW, but for now, I like this option!
Excellent!! Go for it!! And I highly recommend continuing to aim for a WDW race! A ton of fun, and a very supportive environment! :) :thumbsup2

Hmm... First, I want to know how much of the registration actually goes to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They aren't emphasizing that part of it nearly enough.

Second, my wife is FURIOUS that these could be metal while the actual 5ks are not. (She's never even run one of them!) They might not be metal, just shiny paint. Someone at Tinkerbell needs to report back.

Third, I wonder... Are they going to be losing some people/families who just do the 5ks, now that they can get this even more awesome medal for their kids? This gets back to the disconnect between Disney and runDisney. If I were Parks and Resorts, I would be against this.

Third, I wonder... Are they going to be losing some people/families who just do the 5ks, now that they can get this even more awesome medal for their kids? This gets back to the disconnect between Disney and runDisney. If I were Parks and Resorts, I would be against this.

Or they hope people will catch the runDisney bug doing these at home and come to the parks to do more.

Medals are metal. If they weren't they'd call them medallions.

Another thought: I think this is a way for them to make money during the summer, when they don't do races in the parks due to crowds and the heat.

I totally get why it appeals to some, but I can't see myself signing up for these over local races.

I'll probably end up signing up because I'm a dumb sheep, if I can legit write it off on my taxes.

That said, one of my BFFs works at a low-income local elementary school. She's registering the "graduating" members of her school run club for a race and they're going to have a special event at the school where they run the 5K, they get their medals and then all have pizza and cake afterwards to celebrate the kids moving on to junior high. Because of situations, her students don't have the same opportunities to participate in local events like others do (parents working, cost of registration, etc.) and with the exception of our big marathon weekend, they don't get a chance to do things like this - let alone get bibs and medals for their runs.

And for that reason, I'm 100-percent on board with this.

Hmm... First, I want to know how much of the registration actually goes to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They aren't emphasizing that part of it nearly enough.

Second, my wife is FURIOUS that these could be metal while the actual 5ks are not. (She's never even run one of them!) They might not be metal, just shiny paint. Someone at Tinkerbell needs to report back.

If you go through the registration it reads to me (& I could be wrong) that none of the fee does. You have to click on 'make a donation' during the registration process on Active.

Since nowhere else is the % given to charity mentioned I'm under the impression that you have to donate beyond your registration fee... Could be wrong, but other virtual races give the % upfront.

I think its cool.. Will i sign up? Since i just gave dis $370 for the chance to stand in line for 2 days with hopes of getting shiny metal objects with pointy backs... (Aka registered for the epcot pin event) Im good for now but seems to be crazy popular
Yeah all the RunDisney groups on Facebook I'm part of seem to have lots of people signing up.

Medals are metal. If they weren't they'd call them medallions.

Another thought: I think this is a way for them to make money during the summer, when they don't do races in the parks due to crowds and the heat.

I totally get why it appeals to some, but I can't see myself signing up for these over local races.

I agree,I've done so many races over the past 7 months I feel like a guy who's worked all his life and retires and can't figure out what to do with his time.I'm literally on the runningintheusa website daily trying to figure out what races draw my interest over the hotter months.The closest one to me that I'll probably sign up for is a trail ten miler at night that curiously gets a wooden medal,if I don't do that one I might go to Atlanta for the Hotlanta half marathon.

I have to admit, my interest is peaked...but not being an overly huge Mickey fan, I think I'll wait to see if it gets offered again with a different character (Donald pls!!!)
I would also completely modify the distances and tell DH Icouldnt have the bling until I completed x, y, z, so that they were challenging for me. No disrespect to those running 5 Ks, I am a "learn to run" instructor, so I have huge admiration for all my clients who tackle that distance, but as I teach it, I wouldn't feel it rewarding to take a medal for it, personally.

I just want to know if they're gonna limit the amount of people. I doubt it, but I'd like a few more days to decide if I actually want to do it or not.

so i just want to make sure i get this right....you are basically going on a 5k run on your own at home, whether it be on a treadmill or outside. then you just tell them you did it? and thats it?

i think it would be way cooler if there was some way to watch a video on your iPad or phone showing you "running" through the park. might be more motivating for me than just doing a typical run at home. but getting a medal afterwards is pretty cool :smooth:

so i just want to make sure i get this right....you are basically going on a 5k run on your own at home, whether it be on a treadmill or outside. then you just tell them you did it? and thats it?

i think it would be way cooler if there was some way to watch a video on your iPad or phone showing you "running" through the park. might be more motivating for me than just doing a typical run at home. but getting a medal afterwards is pretty cool :smooth:
You don't even have to tell them you did it. Just give them your money.

I'm cheesy, but I like virtual runs. My sisters and I do them together often. One of us lives in Minnesota, one is in Texas and one is in Japan and we coordinate our outfits and what time we are running (15 hours time difference is a problem!) and video chat each other while running so it's like we are together at an event and then instacollege a pic of all of us with our medals. Like I said, so very very cheesy but it has been a fun way to "spend time" together. And since it will be years before we can do another runDisney race together, I think runDisney having a virtual one is kind of cool. But I also see why people would think it's a waste of money. The nice thing about virtual races is you can take them or leave them. No one is taking a spot from someone else who wants it, and if you aren't interested, you lose nothing by not participating.

I'm cheesy, but I like virtual runs. My sisters and I do them together often. One of us lives in Minnesota, one is in Texas and one is in Japan and we coordinate our outfits and what time we are running (15 hours time difference is a problem!) and video chat each other while running so it's like we are together at an event and then instacollege a pic of all of us with our medals. Like I said, so very very cheesy but it has been a fun way to "spend time" together. And since it will be years before we can do another runDisney race together, I think runDisney having a virtual one is kind of cool. But I also see why people would think it's a waste of money. The nice thing about virtual races is you can take them or leave them. No one is taking a spot from someone else who wants it, and if you aren't interested, you lose nothing by not participating.
I like this! :)

I agree,I've done so many races over the past 7 months I feel like a guy who's worked all his life and retires and can't figure out what to do with his time.I'm literally on the runningintheusa website daily trying to figure out what races draw my interest over the hotter months.The closest one to me that I'll probably sign up for is a trail ten miler at night that curiously gets a wooden medal,if I don't do that one I might go to Atlanta for the Hotlanta half marathon.

My daughter lives in Atlanta and when I go up to visit with here I have to see if there are any events we can do together again. The Princess half was a great weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter