Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

I have read this entire thread and while I can understand how some feel about virtual races aren't real or you are just buying a medal or the whole debate about getting medal if you didn't finish a race I don't get the negativity. I trained for over a year to do the 2013 Princess 1/2 marathon - my first ever race of any kind and 3 days before I was to leave for WDW I got injured. Everyone from my family to doctors and friends told me I should not do the Princess but as I told them I had to as I worked too hard to get where I was. I did the race in a full leg brace, and bruises and I only got as far as just getting ready to enter MK before I was pulled. Was I upset and hurt and angry? Yes but when I got off the bus and the race volunteers put the medal on me I was happy. Not that I got the medal but I did something that I never thought I could. I was proud of what I accomplished and I may not have finished the race but to me I did. My family and friends who were never once told me I didn't deserve it, I did. I worked hard for that medal. Last year was the first time I was able to really participate in another race and it was a virtual race for the collage I am enrolled in. With that race, you registered, given a virtual bid and on the day of the race those participating virtually had to tweet their start (showing the bid) and tweet 2 more time during the race and at the end. No I didn't win and I wasn't expecting too but I finished. That was my medal.

So, I am happy to say I just registered for the Virtual Running Shorts Series and I am happy about it. I am glad RunDisney is doing a virtual race as this motivates me to continue training and improving and planning on one day finishing the Princess. While writing this post decided that this will be the last time I come into this forum as I see more negativity and less support for those who choose a race that fits them and what they are comfortable doing. The medals, yea a nice bonus, but for me it is knowing that I will have accomplished something else towards my goal. To those that are registered for the Virtual Shorts races, I say, Good Luck, have fun and congratulations on doing something for you!

I know you said you wouldn't come back into this forum, but maybe since I quoted you you'll get an alert and check back.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I don't think any negativity about the virtual race is directed toward those who want to participate. Some, like me, have said that virtual races aren't really my thing while several others have said they are. I've not seen anyone disparage an individual for participating and, in fact, most have said if it works for you, then it's great that you do it. The negativity is more focused on whether or not the race is as much of a charity driver as initially indicated. But, just because individuals say they aren't interested for themselves, or that they wish runDisney were more transparent about proceeds, doesn't mean it's a negative to those who do participate. This forum is large and an incredibly positive and supportive place. Arguably much more so than so other areas of the Dis, so I hope you reconsider excluding yourself from this great group of runners and Disney enthusiasts.

While writing this post I decided that this will be the last time I come into this forum as I see more negativity and less support for those who choose a race that fits them and what they are comfortable doing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think the exact opposite is true!

This forum is very supportive, encouraging, & open minded.

This forum is also a great place to vent frustrations, concerns, and/or bounce ideas off of each other.

A lot of Run Disney enthusiasts have experienced so much change. Sometimes, we all won't agree on those changes, and sometimes runners might get a little sore about it.

Honestly, I think to proclaim one will never return to a forum due to "negativity" is, in itself, a form of negativity.

There are far too many wonderful fellow Disney fans on this site to let a few posts bring you down!

That's my sparkly, glittery, Princess take on the whole thing. :lovestruc

No reason for them to limit it. There are date restrictions for each event - windows where you need to complete registration between this date and that date.

All it costs them is whatever the cost is to make medals, print bibs, and produced the series tumblers - and to ship them out (which can't be that much).

Whoever thought of this is a genius. They're getting people to pay to do runs at home, and runDisney doesn't have to use their own time or resources to actually put the runs on. Someone is gonna get a promotion out of this.
I'm totally going to be doing at least one of these virtual races, if for nothing else than for the name of "research" (as in I am researching how much money I can waste at any given moment:lmao:). You have to admit it's brilliant in its simplicity for taking money out of other peoples' bank and putting it in their own. I feel like the meeting that made this happen must have been like how I imagined the Flower and Garden festival booth meeting went.
"Those booths at Food and Wine make us crazy money every year, amiright?!"
"Hey, the Flower and Garden festival ... well, you can grow food in a garden, right? We should have food booths there, too."
*board members heads explode imagining the money*

I must retract my previous statement about no interest. I'm not saying I will do them but I am thinking of doing them just to see how it goes. But this would be a one and done for me, unless I happen to go down to WDW or DL during a non-race weekend (ha! Yeah right!) these would be something I would consider.

However still no real interest in this or other virtual events. But best wishes to those who do end up signing up!

I signed up with my mom for the series. I was on the fence but she was completely gung ho. I think she's using them a motivation for her first "real" 5K in Paris.

Now I just hope she doesn't make me travel out to her house in suburbia for each race!

I always wondered how much $$$ from the big races (PHM, DL, SW) RD donates to the named charity partners- is that posted anywhere?
Sometimes those partners are just sponsors themselves looking to get their name out.

I signed up with my DD (age 14) to help with her training runs for DL Half this fall. BUT had I read that medals are sent out in July (30 days out???) I might not have done that. As all our planned races- including a local POT 10K without a medal- is long before then. But we will be at 10+ training miles then anyway- maybe we will do them all at once!

Then again- this could be the only legacy RD series I could be part of!!
Think of all the other cool combos- Haunted Mansion anyone??? Hitchhiking Ghosts???
I hope the have all the medals at Tink Expo next weekend.

I certainly can see how this appeals to many, but I don't think it's for me. I hope all of you that have signed up for it or gifted it to others enjoy it!! :)

So this is the only way LLS gets money from it?

View attachment 165410

That is correct. None of the registration fees are going towards the charity. You are given the OPTION to donate.

I think runDisney should revise their language on the subject, because I have seen MANY people think that this is in addition to any funds runDisney is passing on, and it's misleading.

I'm still in for the Challenge, but they need to either reword their 'charity' aspect or remove it entirely from their promotional stuff.

I signed up with my DD (age 14) to help with her training runs for DL Half this fall. BUT had I read that medals are sent out in July (30 days out???) I might not have done that. As all our planned races- including a local POT 10K without a medal- is long before then. But we will be at 10+ training miles then anyway- maybe we will do them all at once!

The FAQ says "Runners will receive a finisher's medal within 30 days of the race completion."

Just an FYI. Due to the wording of the RunDisney Blog that said "For the first time ever, you can experience a small taste of a runDisney race from home through a series of virtual races that will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.", some people are under the impression that some part of their registration fees are going towards this charity. A phone call to RunDisney this morning confirms that NO PART of the registration fee is going toward the charity. The only money going to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the money that you can choose to donate during the registration process.

I assume YOU called?

Why did you call?

The wording on rundisney is the same (calling it a Celebratory Charity) as other races.

And you are believing the rep at rundisney? You know they say untrue things often (like all CMs, it seems). They make things up or they just fill in blanks the best they can.

Seems to me, since the wording I see is the same (and I just did a mock registration for Disneyland Half and one of the Shorts), if you doubt them for the Shorts, you must doubt them for ALL.

And maybe that's just what a Celebratory Charity is; maybe it's just the charity whose name goes on everything, and the exposure is how they get something out of being part of the event. Maybe rundisney gives nothing.

But I'm going to need more than a phone CM's answer to get freaked out about it. :)

That said, Hogwarts Running Club is very forthright in how much they donate... :)

So I thought I was home clear on these races.. Until my husband decided that he wants to register him and the 7 year old niece up so they can 'run a race together' when he's visiting them in August as she loves running and mentioned after she saw pics of our 5ks how she'd love to run with him..

Yeah- I'll pay for that :)

So I signed up straight away, love disney and love virtual races so its great for me. But I'm in Australia, so I've just updated my shipping address to a US based parcel forwarder...if It turns out they will ship internationally I'll change it back to my Australian address. How will we find out or will someone have to call them?
?

I just signed up for the virtual races--I am so excited! I always had a goal of running at a runDisney event but I could never afford to take the time off and travel during those times. I am also not a marathon runner. These 5K's are perfect. I am truly excited!!

So I signed up straight away, love disney and love virtual races so its great for me. But I'm in Australia, so I've just updated my shipping address to a US based parcel forwarder...if It turns out they will ship internationally I'll change it back to my Australian address. How will we find out or will someone have to call them?
?
On the RD FB feed announcing this someone in the UK called and was told they are shipping internationally. I don't know how much faith I place in a single phone CM, but that was the answer.

I'm from the UK and I signed up for all the races and chose my country as UK and had no problems and got an email saying my registration was confirmed.

I know its kind of throwing money away but being this far away I don't get to do many RunDisney races and I love the idea of having goals that get me a "reward" medal. Its just a bit of fun and I'm determined to push myself to get good 5k times to get my "reward". I've also entered a UK virtual race thats a half marathon with a lovely medal as practise for my Disneyland Paris half. Good luck to all those taking part :)

And maybe that's just what a Celebratory Charity is; maybe it's just the charity whose name goes on everything, and the exposure is how they get something out of being part of the event. Maybe rundisney gives nothing.

This is true, they don't, at least not from a set portion of registration, even though there are other races that have a the affiliated charity. The problem people are having, and I agree, is that the runDisney blog is using language that is quite different than the regular race info pages. If the charity support is not coming from regular registration, that language needs to change. Charities and events can get into real trouble over stuff like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter