Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

I signed up! I've done a couple runDisney 5ks and had a great time, but living in Houston, it's just not possible time-wise and financially to participate in all the rD races I'd like to do. The virtual races let me participate in a Disney race without the extra expense and time traveling, which I think is a great thing for others in situations like mine.

This is also a great motivator for me to continue walking/running through the hot, humid Houston summer. I'm really good September-May, but once my kids are out of school and the heat sets in, I just can't get myself to continue my exercise routine. So then I feel like I have to start from scratch again in September. We have our first Disneyland trip coming up in July and doing these races will make sure I'm still walking through June and can handle the time on my feet at Disneyland.

And, a big thank you to those who mentioned the Hogwarts Running Club. I had never heard of it before and now my lazy 12 year old is willing to get out and walk with me to get some HP medals! :thumbsup2

This is also a great motivator for me to continue walking/running through the hot, humid Houston summer. I'm really good September-May, but once my kids are out of school and the heat sets in, I just can't get myself to continue my exercise routine. So then I feel like I have to start from scratch again in September. We have our first Disneyland trip coming up in July and doing these races will make sure I'm still walking through June and can handle the time on my feet at Disneyland.

I have the same feelings about running through the summer. Florida reminded me today how much of a pain running is in the summer, but this will keep me looking for times to get out and keep on my training plan!

So, gearing up for this, we are making our own tech shirts, cause we always need more shirts, right!?!
We plan to take photos after each & "share" the medal then add graphics to it for fun.
Maybe a start & finish banner for fun, I don't know. We still need to pick our dates for each too.
Anyone else doing anything special?

Yea, I still have no desire to do the virtual run even after seeing the details. There are just so many good runs throughout the country that I'd rather do than pay for a metal for running around my neighborhood.

If this is up your ally though good. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who enjoy it and if it motivates you that's a positive.

DW came up with an interesting idea. She's thought about ordering the medals and say she completed the races (whatever), but then store them away until she reaches certain milestones (not necessarily 5k related). A PR, a certain distance, a certain pace, something like that. So that would give her four training goals to reach, and something shiny. Not bad.

(We're still concerned about the language on the charity thing. They really need to fix that.)

cavepig I plan on dressing up like a Disney character (within reason) when I do my virtual race run. For me, its more motivation to get a good time and I think it is fun! After all, isn't that what Disney's all about? Having fun?

I'm kind of hoping Disney will make some shirts available for this series... and knowing Disney I would be shocked if they didn't take advantage to make a few extra dollars. ;)

I won't have the option of running one of the real runDisney events anytime soon, so this is as good as it will get for me (this and the Castaway Cay 5K). I can understand why some have negative feelings for this, but for others it's the closest thing we'll get to doing the real thing.

So, gearing up for this, we are making our own tech shirts, cause we always need more shirts, right!?!
We plan to take photos after each & "share" the medal then add graphics to it for fun.
Maybe a start & finish banner for fun, I don't know. We still need to pick our dates for each too.
Anyone else doing anything special?
Some very cool ideas here!! You're certainly more crafty than I'd ever be. Lol.

I love this idea. I have only ran 1 5k in my life, and it was 36 minutes. Because I am somewhat insane, and love Disney, I decided to sign up to the Wine and Dine challenge in November. Ive been training with my sister and 10 year old son for the past 5 months, but really didnt have a measure on how far Ive come. So we got together Sunday and made this an event (early I know, but we live far away). This made me push myself a little harder than Im used to. The prior weekend my pace was around 10:45 and I think I was just kind of falling into a comfort zone and not really getting the best out of myself. This made me test myself for the first time, and I shocked myself by finishing under 28 minutes. So even though I do see these as a kind of money grab... we had a blast and I was able to use it to get a lot more out of myself than I thought I was capable of. I am already hoping they do another series next summer!

My daughter lives in Atlanta and when I go up to visit with here I have to see if there are any events we can do together again. The Princess half was a great weekend.
There is a really low key yet great charitable race called Alien 13.1. It is based in Roswell, Ga and it is a night race. I am going for that one since we lost our night race via the new Run Disney Wine and Dine weekend.

As for this virtual race thing. I am so stinking cheap and Disney is already pushing me up against a wall with ever price increases. I am like everyone else, if you like virtual the bling is way cool but I like the race atmosphere and plus I will admit I want a shirt and a real bib :)

There is a really low key yet great charitable race called Alien 13.1. It is based in Roswell, Ga and it is a night race. I am going for that one since we lost our night race via the new Run Disney Wine and Dine weekend.

As for this virtual race thing. I am so stinking cheap and Disney is already pushing me up against a wall with ever price increases. I am like everyone else, if you like virtual the bling is way cool but I like the race atmosphere and plus I will admit I want a shirt and a real bib :)

Thank you for mentioning this race. Talked to my daughter earlier. Tomorrow when I can get to my laptop I will register us both for the half. Daughter looked where the course is and one of my sister's lives about 5 miles away from the course. Atlanta bound for August. This is also the week after my Sprint Triathlon in South Florida.

I went ahead and signed up for one of the three just to help keep me motivated. Ever since coming back from the Dark Side weekend, "real life" has gotten in the way and running was put on hold. Hoping to make this as fun as possible, and I'm floating all sorts of ideas in my head. Might go back to an old-fashioned funraiser I used. Since the charity they partnered with for the races is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I'm thinking about selling "mouse ears" for a donation of any amount to the LLS. I'll pin all of the mouse ears to my body and then run the 5k looking like a crazy person.

Since the charity they partnered with for the races is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I'm thinking about selling "mouse ears" for a donation of any amount to the LLS. I'll pin all of the mouse ears to my body and then run the 5k looking like a crazy person.
The best way to run a virtual race is to look like a crazy person in my opinion.

In all seriousness though I love that idea.

I had expected to get some sort of communication about this since the first session started yesterday. I dont see much info on the website. Obviously you can assume how to run by yourself, but I just expected some type of email.

I had expected to get some sort of communication about this since the first session started yesterday. I dont see much info on the website. Obviously you can assume how to run by yourself, but I just expected some type of email.

The only thing I really saw was on Facebook and it was on the event page for the run. I just got a notification that my event had started. I didn't really look at the page itself to see if they said anything there...

I thought you guys would find this interesting. The language about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has been updated. It now says this

"runDisney will make a gift to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Runners will also have the opportunity to make an additional donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society when they sign up and register for the races."

So looks like with our calling and emailing we got them to admit that a gift will be made by runDisney on top of the donations that runners give.

I thought you guys would find this interesting. The language about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has been updated. It now says this

"runDisney will make a gift to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Runners will also have the opportunity to make an additional donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society when they sign up and register for the races."

So looks like with our calling and emailing we got them to admit that a gift will be made by runDisney on top of the donations that runners give.
That's awesome!

MUCH, much better. If that was the language to begin with no one would have complained. :p
I caved, I wasn't going to register since $$$ is a bit tight but my DS isn't going to daycare during the summer so there's my runDisney money for the month! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter