Confirmed runDisney Virtual race series

Virtual races are getting super popular right now. I hope if you're not actually in the parks it's at least a different medal. Or that they use some sort of tracking mechanism to show that you actually achieved the distance if it's the same medal.

My snap judgement (which I reserve the right to change at any date in the future :teeth:) - zero interest. Isn't most of the appeal of doing Disney races the fact that you're running...you know...THROUGH DISNEY? Seems like a blatant money grab.

This seems like a really odd choice. I think they run the risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. I am certain that the medals will be different than the ones offered for the physical race weekends (to do otherwise would boggle the imagination), but given the price point and the hassle for the regular weekends I can see a lot of people abandoning them for the virtual races. Not only do they then lose the race fees, they lose the additional resort, park, souvenir and dining income generated from the racers and their families. Race weekends are already, with some exceptions, scheduled for lower traffic periods for the resorts. The only thing I can see as a driver would be if they were planning to phase out the physical races due to the cost and logistical hassles associated with them. Still, I don't think that is likely as the trend has been to more races (Light Side added 2 years ago, Dark Side and Paris added this year). Still scratching my head over this one...

I would do it for the races at DLR. My wife has no interest in running over there, but would like to earn a few of the medals. If the medals are different, we would have no interest. Also, I wonder if you could get virtual coast to coast challenge medals, or other challenge medals (like Dopey).

Interesting idea for the races that clearly have more interest than capacity.

I'm intrigued..

Personally not a fan of virtual runs but I see how they fill a gap with newer runners working towards a 'live' race.

So I'd be curious if they'll add a virtual option off the 'live' weekends or if it'll be its own themes/races..

I'd love to see this help take the 'participation' medal back to a 'finishers' medal and give a medal option to those who want the bling but not the work of respecting the miles of a live race..

I personally see a great point for virtual runs.. But not an RD run.. I've used them when fundraising for the american cancer society.. Did people run them? I dunno, that's on them. But they got the shirt, the medal, and we made some bucks for the charity.. I guess I would consider it though for some bling lol.. But not at full RD prices of course :D And yes, I would actually DO the distance.. :D

Virtual runs :confused3:confused3:confused3,I just don't get it???If you're not there to experience it you didn't do it.Don't get me wrong,if there are races out there holding virtual runs that are raising money for charities and if a virtual run is still getting people off their couch to run even if not at the actual race those are still very good things but for me I run these races for the experiences,those can't really happen virtually.

Last edited:
Just wait until you hear what the virtual price will be!!! If it does happen, I would not be surprised to see the cost close to 100 for the half and full, just because of the Disney name.

Virtual runs :confused3:confused3:confused3,I just don't get it???If you're not there you to experience it you didn't do it.Don't get me wrong,if there are races out there holding virtual runs that are raising money for charities and if a virtual run is still getting people off their couch to run even if not at the actual race those are still very good things but for me I run these races for the experiences,those can't really happen virtually.
People generally run the virtuals for two reasons - because the money goes to charity, and for the bling. Look at the number of virtual runners for the Cocoa Beach Half last year. The course had a limited race capacity, so they opened it up to virtual runners and raised a lot more money for charity.

The cost to enter a virtual is generally the same as the cost to enter the race itself (if it is affiliated with an existing race). The finishers medal is also generally the same. Shirts and other items can be different.

It might also help alleviate course crowding. There are people that have no real intentions of finishing the actual distance at the Disney races. If all they want is to pay for a medal, this might be a better way to do it.

Another thought. If they decide to have the same medals as the actual race, will they also have a "virtual expo" stocked with the same merchandise as the actual race??? This way those that go to the actual race will already have the merchandise they want. A better guest experience for those actual runners.

What do you think?

Another thought. If they decide to have the same medals as the actual race, will they also have a "virtual expo" stocked with the same merchandise as the actual race??? This way those that go to the actual race will already have the merchandise they want. A better guest experience for those actual runners.

What do you think?
Most other virtual races tied to "real" races don't even offer the same freebees - just the same medal. And rD could make a lot more money today by offering more merchandise in the Disney online store, and they don't. I don't see this happening.

I did a virtual race last month because there were no St. Patricks Day runs when I could actually do them (I also liked the medal tbh) and I will say I didn't find it as satisfying because I ran it on my own. It was good to try it out but I generally don't think I would do it again. I can't quite see the advantage for Disney because I don't see how they could give the "Disney Experience" with a virtual race.

I don't get virtual races & don't plan on doing them either. I guess if it gets rid of people taking up real race spots who just want medals then I guess that's good.
Same - NO JUDGEMENT to anyone that likes them, but I've never understood the appeal. I know most of the money goes to charity, but I have causes that I donate to that are near and dear to me and are unrelated to virtual races...and the thought that I "earn" a medal by doing a long run I would have had on my schedule anyway is a little silly to me. :confused3

I guess you can add me to the list of people to doesn't understand the appeal; but it's not going to detract from my race experience if someone else is getting a medal at their home for virtually running the same race. I am sure there are plenty of people with medals from the races I have participated in who either didn't finish them or never even competed in them at all. The achievement or lack of achievement of others with the same finisher medals doesn't cheapen my own feelings about the races I've run.

Same - NO JUDGEMENT to anyone that likes them, but I've never understood the appeal. I know most of the money goes to charity, but I have causes that I donate to that are near and dear to me and are unrelated to virtual races...and the thought that I "earn" a medal by doing a long run I would have had on my schedule anyway is a little silly to me. :confused3

I'm with you here. It just feels too much like just going out and buying a medal, to me. They seem to work for a lot of folks, though, so whatever gets people out there and exercising is all fine by me. I will admit to being tempted by some of the Hogwarts Running Club events, though, geek that I am...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter