What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

My grandmother used to pack her "train case" when they went away for a few days. They had a suitcase for their clothes, but she also had a very small one she called her "train case" for toiletries, hair curlers, etc. I've never heard anyone but her call it that.

My parents have a train case that they use when they go away. It's just for toiletries/cosmetics. We used to use it for vacation when I was a kid too.

Dadgummit
brassiere
arithmetic
record player
tin foil
Ethel (gasoline)

Some sayings I can remember my grandpa saying. :laughing:
“I reckon so”
"Well, I’ll swan" (like I’ll be darned)
"Too big for your britches"

My grandpa has always said a version of "Well I'll swan" but he says "I'll swanny"..or at least thats what I thought he was sayin when I was a kid.

Once I asked what it meant (I had no clue) and it actually means "Well I'll Swoon", which was another old fashioned term for fainting.

Also my grandmother has always called a washcloth a "washrag".
Of course "icebox" as has been mentioned.
And they had a free standing cabinet with glass doors & a drawer..called it a SAFE??? IDK what that's about..

And they had a free standing cabinet with glass doors & a drawer..called it a SAFE??? IDK what that's about..

It was probably a "pie safe". They were cabinets used to store cakes, pies, bread, etc. away from flies and other pests. They usually had screens or punched tin designs in the doors or sides to allow ventilation to prevent the pastries from molding rapidly in the heat.

I still use so many of these, but my grandparents were born at the turn of the last century, so my Mom and Aunts used many old fashioned terms and words all their lives.

My moms parents were both born in the early 1890's so growing up I heard most of these words and phrases used.

My DH still uses the words chew gum for gum and short pants for shorts. It drives the kids and I crazy and we have been trying to get him to change for years, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I did stop using peddle pushers for capri pants and thongs for flip flops so you can teach some old dogs new tricks!

My grandmother used to call underwear *skivvies*.

I use the words knuckleheads, persnikity (?sp), and I always thought the it was "I swanit" when they were surprised. So I guess maybe they were saying "swanny". :lmao:

Daisy

ragamuffin
war orphan
garter belt
cellar (instead of basement)
street car

I love the work persnickity and do use it whenever I can!

My 10 year old son regularly uses many of these words. He makes me believe in reincarnation. People regularly aske me where I got him from. :rotfl2: He likes to say "Good afternoon, ma'am" to passersby. The other day he referred to an antique desk as a "fine piece of craftmanship." He says "run" a bath, whereas I say "fill." He will say "sop" when talking about picking up a liquid (spilled water with a paper towel).

My 10 year old son regularly uses many of these words. He makes me believe in reincarnation. People regularly aske me where I got him from. :rotfl2: He likes to say "Good afternoon, ma'am" to passersby. The other day he referred to an antique desk as a "fine piece of craftmanship." He says "run" a bath, whereas I say "fill." He will say "sop" when talking about picking up a liquid (spilled water with a paper towel).

This is precious! He sounds like a great soul!

Slips? They're in all the department stores here. They have half slips and full slips. :confused3 Are you talking about somethign else?

I see a whole lot of shape-wear but no old-fashioned slips. I must not be looking in the right place. I didn't think anyone wore them anymore.

I see a whole lot of shape-wear but no old-fashioned slips. I must not be looking in the right place. I didn't think anyone wore them anymore.

I'll have to look again. I haven't bought one in ages (and that was a gift for my mother-in-law), so maybe it's been longer than I thought since I saw them. I think I bought the one for my mother in law maybe 3 years ago? So, not long. Maybe they've cleared out since then.

I just saw half slips at Kohl's, so I know there are still around. :)

I didn't read all the pages. We use a breakfront, seems most people don't know it by that name.

Slips? They're in all the department stores here. They have half slips and full slips. :confused3 Are you talking about somethign else?

Nope. Slips. Most stores here only have half slips but not full. I was told by JCPenny's that I would have to order a full slip from the catalog b/c they don't have them in the stores anymore :confused3

I haven't heard this word used too much - Powder Room for bathroom.

Hassock - a free standing foot stool/rest - hubby calls these this - I had NEVER heard them called that before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter