What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

I love the word Kerfluffle. It means some sort of argument I think. It just sounds so funny.

I did stop using peddle pushers for capri pants and thongs for flip flops so you can teach some old dogs new tricks!

Omg thongs for flip flops! This reminds me of when I was in the 9th grade. At school a friend of mine was wearing flip flops to school and a teacher came up behind her and said "Girls you aren't allowed to wear thongs to school!!" and we thought she meant the underwear. She was mortified. :lmao:

My Grandmother is 89 and uses some strange sayings

My hair is must

It is very close out

she also calls Kmart - Kmarts & Walmalt - Walmarts:lmao:

oh, and (may be cultural) - a "case quarter" ... umm, just a quarter! also, "Tastes like she stuck her foot in it" (when it's good!) :rotfl:

I see a whole lot of shape-wear but no old-fashioned slips. I must not be looking in the right place. I didn't think anyone wore them anymore.

I bought a 1/2 slip just this summer at JC Penney! They had lots of them (full, 1/2 in different lenghts) in white, black, beige...so they are still out there. Although my DD still thinks they are old fashioned! :rotfl:

Hassock - a free standing foot stool/rest - hubby calls these this - I had NEVER heard them called that before!

Where did your husband grow up? We always called them hassocks in Michigan, but my husband, who grew up here in Kentucky, never heard of it.

Sideboard

My grandmother had a breezeway and my other grandmother had the same but called it a mudroom.

I just had to recently explain what I meant when I said we used to "listen to 45's" to a friends 10 year old daughter. Boy that made me feel old.

Sideboard

My grandmother had a breezeway and my other grandmother had the same but called it a mudroom.

I just had to recently explain what I meant when I said we used to "listen to 45's" to a friends 10 year old daughter. Boy that made me feel old.

lol that reminds me of the first time my son saw a 45. He was amazed at the size and said, "Woah, how many songs can you fit on there?!"

I reckon so.
gonna mosey along now. (too many clint eastwood movies this weekend) :rotfl:
downtown
neat
gee willikers
holy cow
dont be a nilly
thats bad man

DH dropped "irks" on me the other day... haven't heard that one in a good amount of time!

I bought a 1/2 slip just this summer at JC Penney! They had lots of them (full, 1/2 in different lenghts) in white, black, beige...so they are still out there. Although my DD still thinks they are old fashioned! :rotfl:

She may think they are "old fashion" and not "in" style anymore, but they sure keep skirts and dresses from clinging to your body. They also help hide your underwear if the skirt or dress you're wearing is a bit thin and see-through.

I know this word is still used, but it feels and sounds very old fashion to me when I hear it - Folks. I imagine a man from the 1950's with a pipe in his hand and a tan sweater saying that word, lol.

I may be making a Coke verus Pepsi argument, but Sasparilla is actually a different drink that Root Beer. Root Beer is flavored with with Sassafras too, Sasparilla is not.

I so miss sassafras tea! I know it’s not good for you, but it tastes so good. The only way it’s safe is if they remove the safrole, and that really alters the taste. I don’t think they use actual sassafras in root beer anymore either, for the same reason.

We have a Frigidaire stove, but not a Frigidaire refrigerator.

Enjoying the trip down memory lane!

I never hear anyone call a couch a davenport anymore, do you?

And what about luncheon, instead of just plain lunch?

What other words are old-fashioned sounding that you just don't hear much anymore, or at all?

Slacks
Grammar School (which I still say whenever I talk about school when I was a kid)

I know this word is still used, but it feels and sounds very old fashion to me when I hear it - Folks. I imagine a man from the 1950's with a pipe in his hand and a tan sweater saying that word, lol.

I know this is an old thread, but folks seems to be making a comeback. I hadn't hear that word in decades, but I've seen it several times on the DIS lately. Maybe, it's another one of the "regional" things. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter