What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

It's a good way to specify more than one person without getting gender specific, like "y'all".

Yep, I'm in Massachusetts, and I've been bringing "folks" back because we're trying to avoid referring to our classes as "boys and girls".

"Highball" is name of a variety of cocktails that include a shot of a spirit spirit (usually, but not always, whiskey) and large amount of a non-alcoholic mix and served over ice a tall glass. Scotch and soda, rum and coke, seven-and-seven.

Highball may also refer to a type of glass, or a specific mixed drink called the "whiskey highball" (which is a shot of whiskey topped with ginger ale, over ice)

Wow, I had to do a double take.....I wrote that 9 years ago!

My daughters refer to hobos all the time when they're harassing me. When they were growing up I'd tell them to change their clothes because they looked like a hobo.

As far as something not really heard anymore, whoopsie daisy/oopsie daisy.

In my area, the new word for that is “no problem”......I HATE it!

And the new term for no problem is "no worries."

When I was a kid I wore "culottes." I don't ever see that word anymore. Culottes are like capri pants but with a huge flare/flowy material so they looked like a skirt, but actually had separate legs. They hit below the knee but higher than the ankle kind of like what capris are now.

Part of it might be regional and/or cultural, as well.

I was going by what I hear in mass-media-generated pop culture.

I could be wrong but I think frock is still pretty commonly said in British English. Or it seems as if I hear mostly British people say it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter