What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I never hear anyone call a couch a davenport anymore, do you?

And what about luncheon, instead of just plain lunch?

What other words are old-fashioned sounding that you just don't hear much anymore, or at all?

I've never heard of a davenport? When I hear davenport, I think of the tennis player.

What other words are old-fashioned sounding that you just don't hear much anymore, or at all?

Please and thank you :lmao:

Actually had one grandma call a couch a chesterfield and the other call it a davenport, for a long time I thought the grandmas didn't know what a couch was.

I hear luncheon a lot, mostly in military circles. In fact, I am supposed to go to a luncheon at the end of the month and speak about redeployment issues.

portmaneau
jitney
braces (the pants kind)
sawbuck
twit
jalopy
swank
knucklehead

Give me some time and I can think of more. :)

Us ladies around here still use luncheon for social gatherings. :)
I grew up with babushka meaning "little old lady" because they wear babushkas. My grandmother was "Baba". But then again, it's part of my family's heritage.

I like AlaskaMOM's answer of "please" and "thank you" :goodvibes

I know there are times I use some words and my kids are like, "huh?" but I can't think of them off the top of my head~

Parlor (living room)
Victrola (record player)
Open Air Theater (drive-in movie)
Stoop (front steps/porch)
Picture Show (movie)
:goodvibes

My Nana had a settee.

set·tee noun \se-ˈtē\
Definition of SETTEE
1: a long seat with a back
2: a medium-sized sofa with arms and a back

I knew someone with a divan.

Refuse (garbage)

Galoshes

Dungarees

Nylons

Bloomers

Going to a bar after work for a couple of pops. (as in shots of liquor, not soda)

Spam, as in the canned meat, not junk e-mail.

Gay, when it referred to being happy, not to sexual orientation or being "bad".

Stewardess....not Flight attendant.

LP (as in long playing vinyl records)

My Grandmother referred to my nephew's baggy jeans as "hobo pants". When was the last time you heard the word "hobo"?

kelvinator a brand of refrigerator that my granny had. they just called the fridge the kevinator.

First thing I thought of was "icebox" - I'm only 36 and that's what I've always called the refrigerator!

Stoop (front steps/porch)

These might be regional terms, because they're both still used in NYC. Jitneys are an essential form of transportation for commuters and summer weekenders and just about everyone's building has a stoop.

knucklehead

My father still uses that to refer to his children. :rotfl:

Icebox for refrigerator

We still use that, but we also happen to have an icebox. I'm hoping I can convince my mother to give it to me!

My dad still calls Microwave -the radar range
I did get the RadarRange - and I use it almost every day, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter