• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

LOL, I guess "To a swell guy" was the 1952 equivalent of "Have a great summer". :laughing:

"you have as much stuff as Carter's has liver pills"

My mom has been saying this ever since I can remember! It's always "We've got more ____ than Carter's got liver pills!" I never questioned it growing up but I finally asked her one day what that even meant. She had no idea, LOL. I had to look it up.

I definitely still say sneakers and I think I always will. I think the only diversion from that is if I say "chucks" for my Converse Chuck Taylors ;)

My mom still says "more ____ than Carter's got pills." When I was a kid, I thought she was talking about Jimmy Carter and wondered if he had some kind of pill problem :lmao:

My mom still says "more ____ than Carter's got pills." When I was a kid, I thought she was talking about Jimmy Carter and wondered if he had some kind of pill problem :lmao:

That was my initial thought once I got old enough to really think about it. I was like, "Did President Carter have some kind of problem with his liver or what?" LOL, so it was very interesting when I looked it up and saw that it had nothing to do with Jimmy Carter at all.

I have to disagree with this one, given that most TV stations last year moved to the UHF band last year with the digital conversion.

:lmao: Except even with the gazillion ads I would never think "UHF" -- all I got from it was "we are converting to digital and your analog TV won't work without this converter" -- absolutely NOTHING with UHF and besides when someone says that I think of the 2 dial tv where you had to up the top one (I think it was) on the U and then adjust the bottom one to whatever channel. Now there is the "THE U" tv station around here, which then somehow morphed to FOX at one point in time.

AND with the tv talk it reminded me of another word -- Clicker

I thought all the Carter liver pills things were referring to something with Jimmy Carter too since I had never heard it except for this thread, so I thought I must have missed something completely during that time.

Here are a few more- I read the whole thread, so I hope I don't have any repeats, my memory isn't that great lol.

girdle
oriental
prune (the commercials are all for "dried plums" now
spelling: "cooky" "whisky"

Lol! Oh my gosh, my DH just called my DS15 a knucklehead tonight! :laughing:
I know it's not nice, but anyone who has a teenage boy might sometimes agree that the word could potentially be fitting for them at times!

Or numbskull...That was my Dad's term. Pretty much the same meaning.

Umm...what else would you call sneakers??? That's what they are (unless you live in England, and then they are trainers, or in the south where they are tennis shoes, even if you wouldn't know a tennis racket if it bit you on the tush).

I'm originally from the north and using the word sneakers changed to gym shoes. The word sneakers faded into the background of old-fashioned words.

My friends mock me when I use the word 'hence' (instead of 'therefore').

:I thought all the Carter liver pills things were referring to something with Jimmy Carter too since I had never heard it except for this thread, so I thought I must have missed something completely during that time.

Not to put too fine a point on it but it is Carter's LITTLE Liver Pills. Damn, I'm old. I also remember when Absorbine Jr. was used to cure everything from arthritis to pneumonia. There was also a salve of some name that I can't remember that was used to get ride of headaches.:confused3

Some of these words must be regional because I hear A LOT of them on a daily basis. lol

The fiance and I are determined to get the word "bully" back in to circulation.

Instead of saying "awesome" or "cool", we try to say "bully!" LOL

theodore-roosevelt-bully-sm2.jpg

:teeth:

...Every human in the NY metro area calls pizza a "pie". However, when I moved to NC and called our local place to order "one large pie" the lady on the other end of the line was confused and indignant and started ranting about how they don't serve pie.

:rotfl2: ....I know that WE call it 'pie'....

Just skimmed the whole thread, and don't think I saw this one...drip.

As in, "He's such a drip" or "Don't be such a drip"

The only people I ever hear say it are my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

What decade is that one from?

Just skimmed the whole thread, and don't think I saw this one...drip.

As in, "He's such a drip" or "Don't be such a drip"

The only people I ever hear say it are my mother-in-law and sister-in-law.

What decade is that one from?

Well I know they said it in the 50's because I remember my sister and her "tween" friends saying it.

My Nana called a bra a "brassiere".

When it came to be that special time in life :laughing:, and my mom took me to that special area of the Juniors' Department :laughing:, I asked her, "You're not going to make me get a brassiere, are you? Because everyone I know who already wears something like that wears a bra..." :rotfl:

(In my mind, a "brassiere" was a huge, medical/parachute looking contraption, with all sorts of elastic hooks & pulleys, and a "bra" was, well...2 little trangles of white fabric, with lacy straps & a bow or flower between the 2 triangles :laughing:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter