What Old-Fashioned Words do you Rarely Hear Anymore?

We use it still very often.

We use it too but we don’t put in that extra “r”.... we say foy (rhymes with boy)-yer.......foy-yer. Sometimes to be pretentious I’ll pronounce it like the French...fwah-YAY.
:thumbsup2 Well, since it is a French word, that would be the proper pronunciation. Sort of like not calling cologne co-log-knee or depot dee-pot.

I know this is an old thread, but folks seems to be making a comeback. I hadn't hear that word in decades, but I've seen it several times on the DIS lately. Maybe, it's another one of the "regional" things. :confused3

We have always said that (deep south).

Gallery (porch)

Fair to midlin' - always the reply from an elderly lady friend that has now passed on, when asked how she was feeling!! Loved it!

We have always said that (deep south).

Gallery (porch)

Fair to midlin' - always the reply from an elderly lady friend that has now passed on, when asked how she was feeling!! Loved it!

I'm also from the south. I was born & raised in North Carolina & have lived in Florida 22 years, although I'm not sure Florida counts in this particular situation. There aren't many native Floridians in the places I've lived. I seem to remember some of the older people saying folks, when I was young, but I haven't heard anyone use that word in decades. That's why I thought it was making a comeback. Obviously, I was wrong & some areas have always said it. For all I know, some people in NC & here may say folks & I just don't happen to know any of them.

We were visiting with friends in North Carolina last year and I was talking to Lori who is just the sweetest little Southern Belle you could ever meet. She's only about 30 or so. Anyway she was talking about visiting a nearby town and she said "I have kinfolk there." I said "Lori? Did you just say kinfolk?" She blushed and said "I'm FROM here!"

South LA - and yes, people have always used the words kinfolk and folks - not sure about other southern states, but definitely in deep south.

An icebox was actually a box with ice. No reason to call a refrigerator an ice box.

Victrola is a brand name.

High Ball
"Highball" is name of a variety of cocktails that include a shot of a spirit spirit (usually, but not always, whiskey) and large amount of a non-alcoholic mix and served over ice a tall glass. Scotch and soda, rum and coke, seven-and-seven.

Highball may also refer to a type of glass, or a specific mixed drink called the "whiskey highball" (which is a shot of whiskey topped with ginger ale, over ice)

That is another word that you don't hear often. I never understood how it got that name and as a kid it always sounded vaguely "dirty".

Cocktail as used for a drink goes back to The Farmer's Cabinet in 1803 and at that time consisted of spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. Basically, an "old fashioned" only with water instead of ice. It's origin is disputed and may be a corruption of "**** ale", or a corruption of the slang term "cocktail" used to describe a person pretending to be above his station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail

And this is a word I see used a lot, mostly in bars.

sublunary
shenanigans
hankering
druthers
flummoxed
lolly-gag
floozy
harlot
my grandma used to say, "stop being a pill" :rotfl:

I'll think of more love those that are already posted! :thumbsup2

We use hankering all the time....as in I am hankering for a good burger!

I never hear the word Tonic anymore referring to soda but I think it is more a regional thing than an old fashioned thing. My mom grew up in New England and whenever we went to her home town everyone referred to soda as tonic. They had no clue what soda was.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!