Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take it personally, as it wasn't offered up to be personal. I think we all acknowledge that how a dog is treated/trained can affect their personality but we all must remember that many dogs are adopted or rescued, so may have an unknown background in this regard or been bred in unhealthy ways. Yes, these breeds are purposely singled out because they are as a general rule in society.

These dog breeds are a concern because statistics, facts on attacks, puts these breeds at the top of the list of attacks & deaths. Pit Bulls run at about 60% of those. Dog attacks are on the rise, having doubled in last 30 years. Pit Bulls are at the top, do the most damage, cost the most medically and have the highest morbidity rate. We can also say that most bites happen at the dog's property, so hopefully that means they are more restrained in public. But these breeds are restricted from housing, businesses and some towns due to the sobering statistics. I get it just numbers BUT as a parent, as a dog owner .......... you can help but have a healthy fear of breeds that have proven to be involved in the majority of attacks.

Given that the boardwalk is part of the BWI, I would say it was off limits to dogs. Disney Springs is off limits to dogs and it's a similar situation. Before the only dogs allowed on property were service dogs.

Today I received a call from Disney World customer relations. I asked if the dogs staying at the Yacht Club would be on walkways and public areas at Beach Club or Boardwalk. She said dogs would not be allowed in public areas anywhere other than the Yacht Club. I asked how this would be enforced and she said cast members would be enforcing it.

When the Disney cast member called me she said that the rooms where they will place the dogs are the standard view rooms and garden

This information directly conflicts with the printed maps that they have already issued, which also show "dog relief" areas next to Preferred Location building 15 and Royal building 95. I've emailed someone senior at POR who ought to know the truth anyway, but I suspect the plans may get adjusted pretty quickly during the trial period anyway so don't expect anything to stay set in stone.

Andre

My experience with Best Friends was just OK.

We paid extra money for him to have an indoor outdoor cage. So $42 a night. (I believe we had a slight AP discount) That included 1 potty walk. ONE! No interaction with other dogs. We paid $15 extra dollars a day for a 30 minute play date with other dogs. We paid an extra $4 a day for him to have an ice cream treat. All this and it still in my mind was way too much isolation but financially it was my stopping point. When we got there they whisked him away and werent shown his accommodations. We also took an hour each afternoon to go visit. We stayed a total of 4 nights. That equaled $244 and then on our leaving day we had to pay an extra $15 for doggie day camp as we weren't leaving until later than checkout making our grand total about $259. Maybe more with tax.

The reason we took our dog in the first place was because that was only part of our vacation. We were going further south to enjoy a dog friendly Airbnb for 6 more nights.

The kennel was approx $68 a night. For $50 a night I can take care of my own dog and make sure he's happy.

Just thought I'd post my experience since there was lots of arguments about price.
And I find this is very typical. I board with my vet & it’s known for being the best in the area & I’m often dissatisfied. Most ppl working there are kids b/c it’s a minimum wage job. They often don’t listen to my requests & my dogs come home with upset stomach. I do it now b/c I have young dogs that bounce back ok. But I used to struggle with this when I had an older dog with problems. My old dog died of pancreatitis & the episode that killed him basically started by the kids that work at the vet not feeding him the special food they were supposed to feed him. Now, I understand he’s not a human like ppl have pointed out, but it was still devastating to loose a pet you have loved for 16 years! That’s a long time! The death of some of my pets over the years has been more upsetting to me than losing some distant relatives.

This very much depends on the region you live. Parvo is still huge & strongly recommended where I live well in adulthood.
Why would you vaccinate even if the titer shows strong immunity?

Parvo is big everywhere, the problem is when people think you have to keep giving your dog boosters when antibody's are already high.

Today I received a call from Disney World customer relations in response to my email. I told her I would be staying at Beach Club and asked if the dogs staying at the Yacht Club would be on walkways and public areas at Beach Club or Boardwalk. She said dogs would not be allowed in public areas anywhere other than the Yacht Club. I asked how this would be enforced and she said cast members would be enforcing it. I also asked her why the pet relief area was right next to the quiet pool hot tub at Yacht Club and she said some of the initial maps were being altered, and the location may not be there anymore. Of course I took this with a grain of salt. So we shall see.

Thanks, I have serious doubts that dogs can be confined to small areas and I really can't understand what enforcement measures can be used. What exactly will Cast Members do if somebody brings a dog poolside ? Will a CM physically remove a dog if an owner won't budge or evict a family for walking a dog outside of authorized area ? My suspicion is they tolerate the behavior. Let us know what you see.

Thanks

But they did apparently see a need for it. They added rooms of 5 to CBR just 2 years ago and built AoA suites for up to 6 people. Now they've essentially taken those options away from people who can't or won't stay in a hotel with dogs.
But that population may be a small sub-set of the families of 5 or 6.

A puggle! I had a beagle that had epilepsy & boarding him caused seizures. Luckily at that time I had a relative that could watch him. I don’t WANT to take my pet with me. It’s a big pain & hassle. But, as they get older & have health issues, I feel it’s my best option. Right now I have 2 young dogs that don’t need to come so they can board. But, I have been there where boarding seemed irresponsible. So it was go to a pet-friendly location or not go on vacation. I chose to not go usually.

What color is your doxie?
That's rough when they have seizures. My 2 are pretty healthy right now. My Doxie is a chocolate brown dapple long hair.

How about people with allergies. Sorry, but there is no cleaning all the pet dander from these rooms and with the current state of mousekeeping this has bad new written all over it.

The article states only certain rooms and certain sections of those resorts chosen for this trial will be used as pet friendly. There should be no issues for those with allergies. Also, you can stay at a Disney resort that is pet free.

Many other resorts are pet friendly including Universal resorts.

I have travelled with my dog for many years and stayed at various brand resorts; she has been in 38 states so far.

It's about time Disney did this for their dog lovers.

I will definitely go to Disney more often, now.

I don't think that Disney did it to fill rooms. I think they liked the good PR that they got from Irma and they hope to get it from the dog friendly announcement. You can tell by the way they worded it in their announcement for each resort that they think the public will be pleased that Disney loves dogs.

For Disney's sake, they better hope that the dog bringers have a lot of money to spend and bring, because they will likely lose some of their regular customers.

Thanks, I have serious doubts that dogs can be confined to small areas and I really can't understand what enforcement measures can be used. What exactly will Cast Members do if somebody brings a dog poolside ? Will a CM physically remove a dog if an owner won't budge or evict a family for walking a dog outside of authorized area ? My suspicion is they tolerate the behavior. Let us know what you see.

Thanks

No offense to Cast members, but how many of them do you actually see enforcing anything?

As a side note: I will do everyone a favor and not bring my dog. he's a horrible shedder and there's no way they'd get every hair, esp. with the amount of hours hed be jumping around hanging out in there.

This information directly conflicts with the printed maps that they have already issued, which also show "dog relief" areas next to Preferred Location building 15 and Royal building 95. I've emailed someone senior at POR who ought to know the truth anyway, but I suspect the plans may get adjusted pretty quickly during the trial period anyway so don't expect anything to stay set in stone.

Andre
Today I received a phone call in response to my email to Disney Customer Relations. One of my questions was about the pet relief area at The Yacht Club, as the map shows it next to the quiet pool hot tub. She said some of those maps are being redone with changes.

For Disney's sake, they better hope that the dog bringers have a lot of money to spend and bring, because they will likely lose some of their regular customers.

As a side note: I will do everyone a favor and not bring my dog. he's a horrible shedder and there's no way they'd get every hair, esp. with the amount of hours hed be jumping around hanging out in there.

DH would say my wife can spend some serious money at Disney so for us not a problem ! I agree they are likely to lose customers over this as they probably have over their support of other policies/events (we know people who won't go to Disney because of their support for the LGBT community)

Today I received a phone call in response to my email to Disney Customer Relations. One of my questions was about the pet relief area at The Yacht Club, as the map shows it next to the quiet pool hot tub. She said some of those maps are being redone with changes.

I hope that will be the case. I am awaiting clarification about the dog relief areas at POR because they conflict with what I was told on the phone today about dogs not being in or around the Royal or Preferred Buildings.

Something that occurred to me : Are dog-friendly park days/special times the next logical and inevitable step ? Part of me thinks this would never be approved, but if this is a designated time/place type of event, then I can see Disney World green-lighting this. I would be very upset to see this. I am currently in correspondence with Guest Services on the Dog-Resort fracas. I think it might be a good idea to preempt this by voicing my opposition to this now as opposed to waiting and then being given 2 days notice that dogs will now be allowed in certain parks at certain times with certain unenforceable conditions. This feels like fighting a losing rearguard action to preserve something I really cherish.

Yeah, though I don't like it there's nothing really stopping Disney from allowing pets in the theme parks (on the walkways, etc., not on the rides/attractions). If Fido can walk around Disney hotels around other guests, I don't see why not around other guests in Disney theme parks. Though I find it ridiculous, I'm sure many dog owners would "like to enjoy the magic with their furbabys" in the theme parks. It's Walt's Dog World now. :(

I saw that POR dog map, too, and to me it seems possible the dog relief area near the Preferred section at Port Orleans Riverside may be meant for dogs that are in or near the lobby/main check in building. So if a dog in the lobby and needs to "relieve" itself, the owner can be directed to a place out behind that main building, a place that also coincidentally is near the Preferred section. Similarly, the dog relief area near Royal building 95 may be located there because that area is also near many Garden view rooms in Alligator Bayou. In other words, the dog relief areas near Preferred, and Royal building 95, do not necessarily indicate that Preferred and Royal are open to dogs. But I am really not sure. It is also possible as you have written elsewhere that any room at POR could be a dog room because it does not appear that dog or no dog is not a category when booking and Disney would have to accommodate any dog accompanied guest in whatever category they had booked. All I can really say is ?????? (I don't know).

The area by Preferred is not convenient to the front lobby and would mean walking the dogs through the bus stops, on a path and over to the Preferred area so that isn't logical.

The area by 95 (Royal rooms) is NO where near Alligator Bayou and means folks walking the path up to the Royal rooms to get to the area. These rooms are Garden View rooms.

I hope that will be the case. I am awaiting clarification about the dog relief areas at POR because they conflict with what I was told on the phone today about dogs not being in or around the Royal or Preferred Buildings.

The dog area at bottom is within feet of the Royal Rooms Garden View.

5c48bac7-e4ba-49ce-9510-70a04aecffc8.png

Perhaps it was to add an option for families of 5 who do want to bring a dog. We can’t assume all families of 5 are against this.

No, but there are obviously enough families of 5 they saw need to expand their offerings and it would be nice to have spread out the trial phase so it didn't literally only hit resorts that can accommodate families of 5 or 6 when all resorts accommodate families up to 4 and only some accommodate more than that. I wouldn't be so upset if it was the Cabins and one of the All Stars and the Contemporary as it's a broader reach across very different resorts that would likely attract largely different budgets and different family sizes. I wouldn't think it was a good idea but I wouldn't be upset about it.

Look back on this thread or others & see the condition rooms that were supposedly ‘deep-cleaned’ were left in.

We’ve been to WDW 6x since 2014 and 2x I’ve found human hair in the room. Once I found what looked like 1/2 bag of Cheerios under the couch cushions. WDW’s standards are not high enough to deep clean for allergies on a consistent basis.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter