Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting article

Hotels are not only tolerating pets, but are actively courting pet owners by rolling out an impressive menu of pet-oriented amenities. Sixty percent of U.S. hotels now accept pets, according to a 2014 survey by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. That is up from 50 percent in 2006.

And it is not just budget motels on the Interstate that are okay with putting Fluffy on the guest list. The industry segment with the highest percentage of hotels allowing pets: Luxury hotels, with 80 percent.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/14/hotels-pet-dog/

I have a mini dachshund. They are a cute breed aren't they. I understand what you're saying totally.
Yes! My current one is only 10 mos so I’m hoping to get him used to boarding b/c I don’t want to fly with him. But, my last dachshund lived to be 16 & in the last few years had a bad back, was blind, and didn’t eat while boarding. I trusted no one else to take care of him. I boarded him with my vet but only went on short trips & worried the whole time. It always put a damper on our vacations. I like this WDW has given this option now. I wouldn’t board an elderly dog like that again.

Of course I've been to parks and walked in the grass. I was simply responding to the fact that with the addition of dogs, there will be more poo in the grass. Even if it's just traces of it because dog owners have scooped it.

Let's put it this way.... if I went to a dog free park for years and then the park decided to allow dogs in, I would need to be more careful, because there would be much greater chances of poo and pee. It's just the way it is.
To the bolded now that I can def. understand that.

Initially you had said many pages back: "My daughter used to do cartwheels on that patch of grass. I would imagine all grass needs to be avoided now. Gross." So my responses to you were based on that. Presumably (I know assuming can be bad) that your daughter does cartwheels on patches of grass at home or has done it at the very least outside of WDW before this policy so she and you would then need to be at the very least just as careful because of the potential of dogs doing their business and other wildlife doing their business other places as well and so when I was discussing talking about grass that's where my thoughts were being based on.

This is an interesting article

Hotels are not only tolerating pets, but are actively courting pet owners by rolling out an impressive menu of pet-oriented amenities. Sixty percent of U.S. hotels now accept pets, according to a 2014 survey by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. That is up from 50 percent in 2006.

And it is not just budget motels on the Interstate that are okay with putting Fluffy on the guest list. The industry segment with the highest percentage of hotels allowing pets: Luxury hotels, with 80 percent.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/14/hotels-pet-dog/
That is interesting. Earlier I mentioned that we are becoming a much pet-friendlier society. But you also know who spends $$$$--pet owners on their pets. Albeit a limited experience but I assure you those Halloween costumes for dogs (I worked in a Halloween store for 3 years seasonly) can cost quite a pretty penny. As a cat owner I see how expensive things can be . I'm just lucky that my cat's favorite toy is a $0.97 toy from walmart lol.

Pitbulls, German Shepherds, Dobermans, and other "vicious" breeds can be service dogs and I'm insulted that some people in here purposely singled out those breeds as the ones who will fight/bite another dog or person".
I know THREE separate people who have received LIFE AND APPEARANCE-ALTERING INJURIES from three separate pit bulls. All three victims were assured by the owners that the dog was a really good dog and had never attacked before. I will never understand why pit bulls are legal to own and would NEVER, EVER allow one near my children.

Yes! My current one is only 10 mos so I’m hoping to get him used to boarding b/c I don’t want to fly with him. But, my last dachshund lived to be 16 & in the last few years had a bad back, was blind, and didn’t eat while boarding. I trusted no one else to take care of him. I boarded him with my vet but only went on short trips & worried the whole time. It always put a damper on our vacations. I like this WDW has given this option now. I wouldn’t board an elderly dog like that again.
Mine is now 8 and I have a 9 yr old puggle. They are getting older and I really don't want to kennel anymore. It's nice to have other options.

That's your opinion. My opinion is to let the owner decide if they want to bring their dog or not. When my dogs are kenneled they sit in their run and that's it. They are brought out 4 times a day and have one short play session a day all of which cost extra money to do. I have to trust strangers to actually do these extras. I can only go on their word since I can't actually ask my dogs. If they are with me then they will get all the attention they normally do from me and my family. It won't cause them any anxiety and it won't make my anxiety shoot through the roof.
A lot of places also aren’t 24 hours so pets are left alone overnight for several hours (more than 7!).

Wow, I must be super high-maintenance--I am concerned about all four!:P

Well, I don’t have life threatening allergies and I am kind of used to barking because my neighbors leave their dogs in the backyard all day (and night for the most part) and they bark . . .a lot. So I am used to sleeping with white noise and always use it while traveling. So I am more focused on wanting a scent free, fur free, and flea/tick free room. Once Disney can guarantee that I won’t even know a pet has ever been in the room, then I’ll give those four resorts a chance again.

With the Dog-Resort policy in effect, what does this mean for the Beach Club and the general Epcot Resort area ? Even if they are not allowed formally, I think its a matter of time until they are a usual sight on the beach and around all three resorts.

Maybe some Epcot Resort veterans with a good knowledge of the area can chime in ?
Today I received a call from Disney World customer relations in response to my email. I told her I would be staying at Beach Club and asked if the dogs staying at the Yacht Club would be on walkways and public areas at Beach Club or Boardwalk. She said dogs would not be allowed in public areas anywhere other than the Yacht Club. I asked how this would be enforced and she said cast members would be enforcing it. I also asked her why the pet relief area was right next to the quiet pool hot tub at Yacht Club and she said some of the initial maps were being altered, and the location may not be there anymore. Of course I took this with a grain of salt. So we shall see.

Mine is now 8 and I have a 9 yr old puggle. They are getting older and I really don't want to kennel anymore. It's nice to have other options.
A puggle! I had a beagle that had epilepsy & boarding him caused seizures. Luckily at that time I had a relative that could watch him. I don’t WANT to take my pet with me. It’s a big pain & hassle. But, as they get older & have health issues, I feel it’s my best option. Right now I have 2 young dogs that don’t need to come so they can board. But, I have been there where boarding seemed irresponsible. So it was go to a pet-friendly location or not go on vacation. I chose to not go usually.

What color is your doxie?

As a cat owner I see how expensive things can be . I'm just lucky that my cat's favorite toy is a $0.97 toy from walmart lol.

Before our cats passed on, my wife went crazy buying all sorts of toys for them (she didn't have cats before). I told her that cats are more than happy to play with just about anything we already have sitting around the house. They did play with the store toys...but always seemed to like the empty paper bag or loose piece of yarn/string so much more. ;)

This is the consistent answer.

Not in pools, food and beverage, fitness centers and concierge lounges - rest is fair game.

Is this much different than before? Say a person traveled to an offsite location (house, condo, etc) with their dog (or maybe a person that lived in the area) and on a nice night wanted to stroll the boardwalk with Fido-was it/is it off limits to dogs (ie did WDW have a complete no dog policy on WDW property before this announcement?)

I really sincerely doubt that not being able to bring dogs is a reason someone wouldn't book a WDW vacation. When discounts are disappearing, there is not an occupancy problem.
No. I’m saying that it’s yet another demographic to book a room that maybe wouldn’t have before. Ppl may go but stay at Universal or other pet-friendly resort now.

That is interesting. Earlier I mentioned that we are becoming a much pet-friendlier society. But you also know who spends $$$$--pet owners on their pets. Albeit a limited experience but I assure you those Halloween costumes for dogs (I worked in a Halloween store for 3 years seasonly) can cost quite a pretty penny. As a cat owner I see how expensive things can be . I'm just lucky that my cat's favorite toy is a $0.97 toy from walmart lol.

You're right. Lots of money!

Basically all we can do is let the fairy dust settle and see how this pilot testing goes. Easier said than done as we changed our stay at Fort Wilderness to Saratoga Springs next April. If this is a done deal, we'll miss like crazy decorating for Halloween if it isn't possible to stay at the Fort again.

:sad:

Also, there's no breed restrictions on service dogs. Pitbulls, German Shepherds, Dobermans, and other "vicious" breeds can be service dogs and I'm insulted that some people in here purposely singled out those breeds as the ones who will fight/bite another dog or person. Especially since people who choose to have those breeds (or even a mix dog with one of those breeds) already deal with people/businesses going against ADA and swearing they aren't real service dogs just because they are "vicious".

Don't take it personally, as it wasn't offered up to be personal. I think we all acknowledge that how a dog is treated/trained can affect their personality but we all must remember that many dogs are adopted or rescued, so may have an unknown background in this regard or been bred in unhealthy ways. Yes, these breeds are purposely singled out because they are as a general rule in society.

These dog breeds are a concern because statistics, facts on attacks, puts these breeds at the top of the list of attacks & deaths. Pit Bulls run at about 60% of those. Dog attacks are on the rise, having doubled in last 30 years. Pit Bulls are at the top, do the most damage, cost the most medically and have the highest morbidity rate. We can also say that most bites happen at the dog's property, so hopefully that means they are more restrained in public. But these breeds are restricted from housing, businesses and some towns due to the sobering statistics. I get it just numbers BUT as a parent, as a dog owner .......... you can't help but have a healthy fear of breeds that have proven to be involved in the majority of attacks.

Is this much different than before? Say a person traveled to an offsite location (house, condo, etc) with their dog (or maybe a person that lived in the area) and on a nice night wanted to stroll the boardwalk with Fido-was it/is it off limits to dogs (ie did WDW have a complete no dog policy on WDW property before this announcement?)

Given that the boardwalk is part of the BWI, I would say it was off limits to dogs. Disney Springs is off limits to dogs and it's a similar situation. Before the only dogs allowed on property were service dogs.

Last edited:
Attractions Magazine has a poll going with 1700+ people about the new policy and it's at 38% love it, 32% hate it, 30% don't care.
Others that I have seen pop up have been even heavier for in favor.
The DIS definitely does not represent the general population. This has always held true.
The ambivalent 30% don't care simply because they probably don't have any skin in the game. I would be willing to bet that a majority of them would care VERY MUCH if a resort that was not pet-friendly when they booked suddenly became pet-friendly within hours of their stay.

Before our cats passed on, my wife went crazy buying all sorts of toys for them (she didn't have cats before). I told her that cats are more than happy to play with just about anything we already have sitting around the house. They did play with the store toys...but always seemed to like the empty paper bag or loose piece of yarn/string so much more. ;)
Oh how right you are :)

We temper our spending for sure (black friday is great for getting some toys at a great price at petsmart for example) and when walmart has his favorite toy in stock I'll buy 3 or 4 at a time (as he has lost a fair few somewhere around the house).

That is true about very simple household items..put a box down and you might get this:
upload_2017-10-17_17-45-12.png

On the flipside my cat also likes toys he can throw up in the air and as he still has all his claws he loves to use those with his favorite toys. This was found in the christmas tree last year (what is circled is one of his toys {his favorite kind though}):
upload_2017-10-17_17-49-0.png

It can be quite a shock sometimes to feel my hand around the bed and feel something furry only to realize it's one of his cat toys that looks like a mouse lol.

My mother-in-law though loves to buy things for her cats but not quite on the same level as I've seen from other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter