Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I've been wondering, any real dog person knows there isn't a need to get every vaccine under the sun you do them as needed and kennel cough vaccines don't even work. Additionally boosters and such are mostly not needed in adult dogs and you should be doing titer test to determine if additional shots are needed or not since they almost never are after the first round (Distemper, parvo, rabies...)
This very much depends on the region you live. Parvo is still huge & strongly recommended where I live well in adulthood.

My experience with Best Friends was just OK.

We paid extra money for him to have an indoor outdoor cage. So $42 a night. (I believe we had a slight AP discount) That included 1 potty walk. ONE! No interaction with other dogs. We paid $15 extra dollars a day for a 30 minute play date with other dogs. We paid an extra $4 a day for him to have an ice cream treat. All this and it still in my mind was way too much isolation but financially it was my stopping point. When we got there they whisked him away and werent shown his accommodations. We also took an hour each afternoon to go visit. We stayed a total of 4 nights. That equaled $244 and then on our leaving day we had to pay an extra $15 for doggie day camp as we weren't leaving until later than checkout making our grand total about $259. Maybe more with tax.

The reason we took our dog in the first place was because that was only part of our vacation. We were going further south to enjoy a dog friendly Airbnb for 6 more nights.

The kennel was approx $68 a night. For $50 a night I can take care of my own dog and make sure he's happy.

Just thought I'd post my experience since there was lots of arguments about price.

I was told by the CM that called me that dogs are permitted in all public areas except pool areas :( Only rule is that they must be leashed.

This is the consistent answer.

Not in pools, food and beverage, fitness centers and concierge lounges - rest is fair game.

So, I wonder if the insurance you purchase from Disney (that they offer with their packages) would cover you if you're bitten by a dog on Disney's property....

I don't really know? I think of travel insurance as something in case something comes up and you can't make the trip or weather issues, or etc. As I was talking with another poster, maybe it is something that evolves as policies evolve (regarding this policy or in a general sense)?

I think the point was if whoever was playing in the grass expected it to be free of all things gross..that didn't happen before. I have deer a lot in my backyard..I know what they do. Adding a dog into the mix doesn't change that I wasn't able to walk barefoot in the grass before unless I was willing to accept that a deer may have just peed (and yeah I've watched a few times this occur right in front of me) on the grass.

Other wildlife (as I have no fence and live where woods are on my property line) have and will continue to do their business fence or no fence really. Saying "it will add to it" doesn't change the fact of what it was before. So in other words kids may have been playing in the grass right where wildlife was doing their business-policy or no policy-that will not change and is always a risk. Perhaps it was something no one wants to think about until something much more common to our lives-the presence of dogs-occurred.

I got the point.

The fact is walking in a patch of grass outside of hotel rooms in a well lit area with a regular flow of people walking by is not the same thing as walking in the grass by the woods inhabited by deer and presumably many other wild animals. Adding dogs will significantly increase the grossness of the POR grass.

With the Dog-Resort policy in effect, what does this mean for the Beach Club and the general Epcot Resort area ? Even if they are not allowed formally, I think its a matter of time until they are a usual sight on the beach and around all three resorts.

Maybe some Epcot Resort veterans with a good knowledge of the area can chime in ?

I completely respect that and you should be able to voice your thoughts. I also completely respect those who are e-mailing Disney to let them know they like the new policy.

It is my hope however that those opposed to the new policy don't just go and blame those who e-mailed Disney of their positive thoughts towards the new policy if it does get expanded. It's like another poster mentioned previously we don't need to be angry at each other.
Yes. Disney is going to do whatever is in the best interests of its shareholders. This move might be presented as “look we thought about you & your dog family member” but this is a money move. No more to do with those for than against.

Pity the poor people calling because of our e mails.......i got the same lady calling today that called me yesterday....even tho we are DVC I don't want Disney to allow it in the villas....I am not talking true service animals....
Also we often stay in the hotels....we are with you on opposing dogs in the rooms...especially 2!!!

I'm curious how many dog owners know this: "In addition, if you are traveling in from another state, you MUST have an Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued no more than 30 days before your date of travel. You can get those from your current vet in your home state. Also, if you are traveling through other states on the way here, you’ll need to check each state’s requirements for documentation to bring your dog across state lines. For instance, some states require the certificate of inspection be issued no more than 10 days before your trip. Many people do not get this paperwork, and generally, nothing happens. However, if there is an incident for your dog and you do not have your paperwork in order, you may be fined or your dog may be seized for quarantine."

This surprised me & I have to wonder how many owners will do this 10-30 days before their trip & carry that proof with them. Since we have a petsitter stay at our home when we travel, I've never looked into this & didn't know it.

I don't think that Disney did it to fill rooms. I think they liked the good PR that they got from Irma and they hope to get it from the dog friendly announcement. You can tell by the way they worded it in their announcement for each resort that they think the public will be pleased that Disney loves dogs.

Disney does EVERYTHING to make money, as they should per their stockholders (of which I am one). Disney may write a check for Hurricane Relief for good PR but in terms of the operations of those resorts, it's about MONEY. I can bet this has been discussed for some time, how to get an up on all the resorts being built in the area - many of them geared to young families they might now compete with - or adults looking for that "Margaritaville" vibe. Great Wolf Lodge, HUGE family resort, is to be built right across from DS, and there are others. Offsite gives you way more for your money in terms of your actual lodging, Disney is in process of re-branding their hotels across the board. All Irma did was open the door for them to announce ... and they still weren't done planning it so we have this communication mess we have.

I say again, Disney can't hire housekeepers to save their life, even with bonuses. They offer gift cards in lieu of housekeeping therefore undercutting themselves. How can they eliminate housekeeping and make money ........... dogs.

Which deluxe could they do this with minimal issues? YC
Which resort would be make perfect sense and easy? FW Cabins
Which moderate needs renovation and work? POR
Which value might be having occupancy issues ($$)? AoA

THIS is not for PR other than marketing "look what we offer that no one else does .......... dogs with basically no rules" - bring them on! I have no doubt these resorts will follow with dog playgrounds, dog pools, dog room service ........ especially if this is kept from spreading to other resorts. I think it may be too late for these resorts but we can all stop it from spreading.

Maybe they don't want to spread. Maybe this is part of the elimination of value, moderate etc, and part of the re-branding.

AoA is Family Suites and fun for whole family, even dog.
POP will be the modern boutique room with GONDOLAS.
CSR will be the upscale multi offering multi dining resort.
POR will be the Southern Charm Dog Resort.
FW will now be a true campground that loves dogs.

I think the goal here should be to stop them from adding this to any other resorts.

I got the point.

The fact is walking in a patch of grass outside of hotel rooms in a well lit area with a regular flow of people walking by is not the same thing as walking in the grass by the woods inhabited by deer and presumably many other wild animals. Adding dogs will significantly increase the grossness of the POR grass.
True true. But what do you do out and about in public? Have you gone to any of the public parks by any chance? Have you only stayed on paved paths and not strayed into the grass? I only mentioned my backyard to give an example. But you literally can use any grass out in the open as an example.

I look outside my front door and see my neighbor's dog doing his/her business on my grass and that sure isn't pretty and I've got to hope that everyday they pick it up (which so far they have). But you know the gross thing is knowing that the neighbors on both sides of me have kids that have no problem walking through our grass (I mean they walk through their grass too) right where the dogs do both their businesses. And we're in a well-lit regular flow of people walking area too. Actually my whole neighborhood is full of grassy areas and people out walking about with and without their dogs and it's also well-lit as well (they installed new LED lights for the really tall light poles (edited: a word) on the bigger main street and those are really bright).

But there is for sure a difference in that our neighborhood we don't have the doggie bag stations (those are in plenty other areas around the metro just not in our neighborhood) so I can understand how just seeing that alone brings up the yuck factor.

Last chance to argue and attack other posters. Get your shots in now before this thread is closed!

This thread will not be allowed to continue as it has the past couple of days. Warnings about this have been posted at least twice and the behavior has not changed at all. Warnings have been issued to a number of posters and some have continued doing the same things with the same outcome.

Perhaps it will be best to revisit the topic in a couple of years once everyone has had opportunity to experience how it affects them.

Either discuss the topic civilly or it will be closed.

Pity the poor people calling because of our e mails.......i got the same lady calling today that called me yesterday....even tho we are DVC I don't want Disney to allow it in the villas....I am not talking true service animals....
Also we often stay in the hotels....we are with you on opposing dogs in the rooms...especially 2!!!
Did you email more than once? The woman that called me today also stated that they don’t have any information on which buildings will allow dogs at our resort. At this point wouldn’t hey have that information? Ugh this really leads me to believe that have haven’t set up certain rooms like they are stating.

I'm curious how many dog owners know this: "In addition, if you are traveling in from another state, you MUST have an Official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued no more than 30 days before your date of travel. You can get those from your current vet in your home state. Also, if you are traveling through other states on the way here, you’ll need to check each state’s requirements for documentation to bring your dog across state lines. For instance, some states require the certificate of inspection be issued no more than 10 days before your trip. Many people do not get this paperwork, and generally, nothing happens. However, if there is an incident for your dog and you do not have your paperwork in order, you may be fined or your dog may be seized for quarantine."

This surprised me & I have to wonder how many owners will do this 10-30 days before their trip & carry that proof with them. Since we have a petsitter stay at our home when we travel, I've never looked into this & didn't know it.

That's usually not a big deal. You just stop by your vet and if you have kept up with your shots and checkups, they will print one for you.

But they did apparently see a need for it. They added rooms of 5 to CBR just 2 years ago and built AoA suites for up to 6 people. Now they've essentially taken those options away from people who can't or won't stay in a hotel with dogs.
Perhaps it was to add an option for families of 5 who do want to bring a dog. We can’t assume all families of 5 are against this.

Is this for real? I had to check if it was 1 April?

I am horrified. How is the Yacht Club of all places a dog-friendly environment?

First off, I am a dog lover and dog owner. The vast majority of people come to WDW to enjoy the theme parks; not to spend significant time in their rooms. Which means dogs will be left enclosed in small guest rooms for hours upon end. I can't even begin to imagine the stress dogs will face when they hear all the noises associated with a busy resort (housekeeping, vacuums, kids running down the hallways, heck even the Illuminations fireworks which will cause distress for a significant number of pets).

I love how Disney say if your dog makes noise you'll be summoned back in 30 mins. Is that for real? If you're in the middle of Magic Kingdom and in line for attraction you won't be back at the resort within 1 hour, let alone 30 minutes. Are other guests supposed to just put up with the barking for all that time? Also, what if guests don't pick up their cell phones? We all know this will be poorly enforced.

Also, why on earth are Disney not INSISTING on seeing the vaccination records? How dare they say they "might" need to see it? This should be verified on check-in; no exceptions. I don't want my kids to be anywhere near un-vaccinated dogs. Can you even imagine them roaming around the lobby? So many people don't even flea-protect their dogs; I expect carpets and soft furnishings will be soiled and we all know how bad housekeeping can be.

I think this is the worst decision Disney has ever made. Yacht Club is my favorite resort and we will NEVER stay there again. I am waiting for a call back to discuss options for our upcoming trip. I'm so disappointed in Disney; I literally can't believe they've done this.
This sums it up for me. I've just about had it after this announcement. And someone just reported YC has bed bugs too in their room. So we have dogs and bed bugs to worry about now. So sick of the bad news.

True true. But what do you do out and about in public? Have you gone to any of the public parks by any chance? Have you only stayed on paved paths and not strayed into the grass? I only mentioned my backyard to give an example. But you literally can use any grass out in the open as an example.

I look outside my front door and see my neighbor's dog doing his/her business on my grass and that sure isn't pretty and I've got to hope that everyday they pick it up (which so far they have). But you know the gross thing is knowing that the neighbors on both sides of me have kids that have no problem walking through our grass (I mean they walk through their grass too) right where the dogs do both their businesses. And we're in a well-lit regular flow of people walking area too. Actually my whole neighborhood is full of grassy areas and people out walking about with and without their dogs and it's also well-lit as well (they installed new LED lights for the really tall light polls on the bigger main street and those are really bright).

But there is for sure a difference in that our neighborhood we don't have the doggie bag stations (those are in plenty other areas around the metro just not in our neighborhood) so I can understand how just seeing that alone brings up the yuck factor.

Of course I've been to parks and walked in the grass. I was simply responding to the fact that with the addition of dogs, there will be more poo in the grass. Even if it's just traces of it because dog owners have scooped it.

Let's put it this way.... if I went to a dog free park for years and then the park decided to allow dogs in, I would need to be more careful, because there would be much greater chances of poo and pee. It's just the way it is.

With the Dog-Resort policy in effect, what does this mean for the Beach Club and the general Epcot Resort area ? Even if they are not allowed formally, I think its a matter of time until they are a usual sight on the beach and around all three resorts.

Maybe some Epcot Resort veterans with a good knowledge of the area can chime in ?
We have stayed multiple times at both YC and BC. YC was our favorite but since they removed a sound barrier, carpet, and now dogs we won’t stay there in the future. The beach area is great for families and movies at night. Also a fire pit for roasting marshmallows. There is a great loop for runners.Dh enjoyed doing that in the morning. Wondering now if dogs will enjoy it as well. There are also buggy’s to rent and bicycles. Beware dog owners that there are horns on the buggy’s and the friendship boat horns that are a constant noise .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter