Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not the same subject necessarily but I remember in college when I lived in the dorms the fire station responsible for that area of the city was right there next to the main cluster of dorms.

Unfortunately people thought it was funny to pull the fire alarms just for fun sometimes even multiple times at night. The second dorm I lived in had 10 stories and I was on the 10th floor. During a fire alarm you cannot use the elevators..so yeah at 3am it wasn't fun at all walking up and down those 10 stories. Anywho the fire department had to plead with people to stop pulling the fire alarms for fun as it was pulling resources away from the rest of the city. It's hard to go fight a real fire when you're busy inspecting a dorm because of a prank.

Now I know people are talking about calling the animal control not out of a prank or to be funny but your comment did made me think about what happened when I was in college with firetrucks and whatnot.
I imagine these days anyone who misused their services would be fined & well they should!

As a complete aside, can some kind soul please tell me why I'm getting dozens of emails when there are replies to this thread, even though I unticked 'receive email notifications of replies'? What am I missing? :confused3

Thanks in advance.
I think you might want to try it again. Turn off the "follow thread". Close the thread. Then go back to the thread, click follow, make sure it says no email, hit save, and see if it works this time. :)

Oh, yes, how sad it makes me too! Our beloved, tranquil, and beautiful Port Orleans Riverside!....Sigh! I just now got a phone call from Disney Customer Relations to respond to my email. I expressed many of the thoughts you have expressed here. She said they are getting many calls and are letting management teams know how we feel. When you send your email, you may want to cc Disney upper management. It seems that a better response comes your way when you add them to your email.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com
It didn’t work for me emailing all of them really. I did finally get the regular call reading from the script “we’ll add a note for a nonpet room and a VIP cleaning but service dogs have always been in the rooms.” When I tried to address the fact that the cast member I spoke with over the weekend said a note couldnt be added, she simply said she could do more than a regular cast member noting the reservation.

Beats me, I don't have a dog. Most places around here seem to be set up like a doggie day camp, with people to play with them, etc. Otherwise most people I know use dogsitters and leave their dog in the home environment they are familiar with and have someone come over to care for the dog. I get this is not an option for everyone. But it seems to me the care that imposes the least stress on the pet is probably the best option. I wouldn't guess that traveling with one to WDW falls in that category.

Well since you don't have a dog or any experience with boarding a dog this is how most kennels work. The dogs are either in a kennel all day with periodic visits to play outside or they may have group play during the day. Then they are put in an individual pen where they typically stay from let's just say 8 pm to 6 pm to be nice. So the math on that is 10 hours with no human interaction. Some people do have pet sitters but i would dare say most people kennel. And just full disclosure - I would not travel to WDW with my dog and I do kennel my dog for some travel. Just depends on the situation. I also don't think a lot of people will travel to Disney with pets either but I guess we'll see won't we.

Again for those that keep saying that complaining isn't going to reverse this- I think most of us realize this. What we are trying to do now is damage control so it doesn't spread to other resorts. I myself have already come to the conclusion that 4 resorts are off limits ever again( although I probably wouldn't stay in those anyways). At this point, there are plenty of other resorts to choose from to avoid dogs. But I myself, am emailing and letting my voice be heard so it doesn't go any further to other resorts, so that we no longer have that choice.
I completely respect that and you should be able to voice your thoughts. I also completely respect those who are e-mailing Disney to let them know they like the new policy.

It is my hope however that those opposed to the new policy don't just go and blame those who e-mailed Disney of their positive thoughts towards the new policy if it does get expanded. It's like another poster mentioned previously we don't need to be angry at each other.

Well since you don't have a dog or any experience with boarding a dog this is how most kennels work. The dogs are either in a kennel all day with periodic visits to play outside or they may have group play during the day. Then they are put in an individual pen where they typically stay from let's just say 8 pm to 6 pm to be nice. So the math on that is 10 hours with no human interaction. Some people do have pet sitters but i would dare say most people kennel. And just full disclosure - I would not travel to WDW with my dog and I do kennel my dog for some travel. Just depends on the situation. I also don't think a lot of people will travel to Disney with pets either but I guess we'll see won't we.

I don't see how traveling with a pet to WDW would be much different than a regular kennel then, in terms of stress on the animal, which would likely be my main consideration in determining what to do with a pet (if I had one).

I posted earlier in the thread but the time we stayed at BWV we arrived at 3:30 and were told our room wasn't ready because the carpet had been shampooed that day and was still wet. I assumed it was due to a deep clean due to a service animal but did not inquire. They let us in the room sometime around 4 and the carpet was soaking wet. They refused to give us a dry room and the carpet was still damp the next morning.

I do understand. My dogs adore the kennel. I understand some don't. My sister has a terrier who was a rescue and has separation anxiety so a boarding kennel would not work for him. She leaves him with family...though I very much see her as the person who would bring him to one of these resorts. My two girls LOVE the boarding kennel we go to (and coincidentally Pete who owns the DIS gave high marks to BFPC when he left his puppy Abigail there). Me personally...I would be non stop worrying about my girls in a hotel room. Worried they were confused. Worried they were reacting to the noise outside the room. Worried they were disrupting. Worriedsomeone enters the room and accidentally lets them out. Worried they were barking, chewing or peeing pooping....even though they do none of those things at home.

Different strokes. I get how dogs in a hotel works for some and doesn't for others. But I don't think making Disney resorts pet friendly is the right move. Build a new resort and make it pet friendly...sure. But no change to the current ones.
I agree building a separate pet-friendly hotel would have been best, but I also think WDW would have to try it out some way like they’re doing now to see if the huge investment of building that kind of hotel would be good business for them. I also wonder if it’s abot occupancy. We have seen discounts disappear more & more. Wonder if WDW is trying to fill more rooms by tapping into a new demographic. Then they won’t have to offer discounts to fill rooms. Could be why we haven’t seen this offered at DLR.

I also wonder if it’s abot occupancy. We have seen discounts disappear more & more. Wonder if WDW is trying to fill more rooms by tapping into a new demographic. Then they won’t have to offer discounts to fill rooms. Could be why we haven’t seen this offered at DLR.

I really sincerely doubt that not being able to bring dogs is a reason someone wouldn't book a WDW vacation. When discounts are disappearing, there is not an occupancy problem.

I agree building a separate pet-friendly hotel would have been best, but I also think WDW would have to try it out some way like they’re doing now to see if the huge investment of building that kind of hotel would be good business for them. I also wonder if it’s abot occupancy. We have seen discounts disappear more & more. Wonder if WDW is trying to fill more rooms by tapping into a new demographic. Then they won’t have to offer discounts to fill rooms. Could be why we haven’t seen this offered at DLR.

If this ends up being a temporary toe dipped in the water to test the temperature and is, relatively quickly, replaced by a completely separate resort and transport for guests with their dogs, cats and giraffes - that would be awesome.

I also wonder if it’s abot occupancy. We have seen discounts disappear more & more. Wonder if WDW is trying to fill more rooms by tapping into a new demographic. Then they won’t have to offer discounts to fill rooms. Could be why we haven’t seen this offered at DLR.

I absolutely believe this to be true. Could also explain why they haven't come out and specifically stated there will be distinct dog-friendly and dog-free rooms. After all, an empty room is an empty room, and someone in line with cash in their hand wanting to make a reservation? Step right on up....

My husband is like you in that insurance talk bored him (but hey I've had to listen to powerplant talk for years lol).

Yeah it is quite complicated when you consider different states and how insurance companies are filed with the DOI (department of insurance). Really though it should be people looking into their policy contract for possible exclusions, etc.

The company I worked for was in over 35 states by the time I left and only 2 had breed restrictions (not surprisingly CA was one of them) I can't remember off the bat the other one but it was in the east coast. All other states it was a "it's not the breed but the way they are treated" type situation. I also saw a lot more dog bites from small dogs but usually the pay out was $1,000 or so. And a dog bite regardless of the breed forced you to have a dog bite exclusion for the life of the policy regardless if you had the dog involved in the incident or not meaning you were not covered for any animal for any incident for the life of the policy. They did actually end up adjusting that policy to where if you signed a paper stating the dog involved in incident either passed away or was no longer in the household you could have the exclusion removed.

Uber has had uphill battles with my area too (so has lyft) and a concern was def.insurance coverage mainly do they carry enough insurance and are they actually covered. And yes personal versus business auto policy was a big thing my company had issues with. I non-renewed enough policies because someone wanted to cover their car they used for pizza delivery as their job under personal auto rather than business and nearly all the time it was found out because they got into an accident while they were technically working.

And I would agree sometimes the industry takes a while to keep up. It does bring up some things to ponder over. I haven't travelled with a pet yet so I'm like you in that it really hasn't made me go indepth and look into what my policy covers. My cat is so not a travel type companion. It's a chore (edited: corrected a word) to get him to the vet as is lol

I will be better informed in my next discussion with him after your post! The other state might have been MA - I know there are breed and size restrictions here. In fact, I just figured all states had them because we had them here, until I looked it up last night and saw some information on what you were saying, "It's not the breed, but they way they are treated" approach and he told me other states are different and don't have the same restrictions. He also said what you said that after an incident, a person often gets dropped or they don't have coverage for it going forward. The Uber/Lyft thing does show how things can evolve. We live in an oceanfront community and even that has changed in recent years - much harder to get coverage depending upon your proximity.

ETA: No sooner than I finished typing there was a story on the local news that lawmakers are considering a bill to stop MA insurance companies from imposing breed restrictions...

Iam very disappointed with the admission of dogs at Disney’s resorts.
I were staying at wilderness resort after huracan Irma. And there were dogs near the lobby, at the boulder villas. I was surprised. Those big dogs were laushed, but runned inside the hotel, made a lot of noise. Smelled horrible, and hot and wet the floor in front of me. And the rest of those, were there a long time. Just in front the access to roar fork. I used to go to riverside, fort wilderness and art of animation. I will never go again. I saw horribles scenes with dogs during my stay at wilderness . At magical express is a joke I think . There will be separate units of buses or vans to carry dogs .

Because that's the decision somebody made to take their dog on their trip. And you can't speculate that the majority will be unhappy. My guess is most people will look and say hey cute dog and then move on with their day.
So many ppl seem oblivious at WDW. I think many notice and/or won’t care.

I don't think that Disney did it to fill rooms. I think they liked the good PR that they got from Irma and they hope to get it from the dog friendly announcement. You can tell by the way they worded it in their announcement for each resort that they think the public will be pleased that Disney loves dogs.

I really sincerely doubt that not being able to bring dogs is a reason someone wouldn't book a WDW vacation. When discounts are disappearing, there is not an occupancy problem.
I didn't read her comment as what you are stating. I simply think she is trying to say that with discounts disappearing Disney now may have more empty rooms to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter