So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?

I am thankful that my immediate and extended family all give me lovely gifts, but I am always bummed that they are usually just wrapped and have a stick on bow or even no bow at all. I think half the fun of gifting is the beautiful wrapping and the care someone took. I suppose because I love making beautifully wrapped presents. I mostly give gift cards or tickets to experiences but I always make a point of putting it in a box and wrapping the box so everyone gets to open packages.

38438430761_8e070cd5e3_z.jpg

I am thankful that my immediate and extended family all give me lovely gifts, but I am always bummed that they are usually just wrapped and have a stick on bow or even no bow at all. I think half the fun of gifting is the beautiful wrapping and the care someone took. I suppose because I love making beautifully wrapped presents. I mostly give gift cards or tickets to experiences but I always make a point of putting it in a box and wrapping the box so everyone gets to open packages.

Guilty of the stick on bows here.

YESSSS!!!!! I love pretty packages but always leave the bows off until the last minute otherwise the cats eat them. My husband either doesn't wrap at all or tapes the present up in the bag it came from the store it.:headache:

Anything Disney...

People assume because we go to Disney that we love everything Disney and I want nothing to do with that kitschy crap. I appreciate the thought, but my mother does it consistently and there is nothing in my house that is Disney related except for kids toys and now my youngest is 10 that is barely around.

OMG, same! I now have a Disney Christmas Countdown that is supposed to stay out all year given to me last Christmas by someone who has been to my house many many times at the holidays. They would know that, while I have Disney ornaments on our tree because we buy an ornament for every trip anywhere and add it to the tree, we do not have a Mickey Mouse decorating scheme. It really sticks out among my decorations and ended up in a room that is rarely accessed.

Anything Disney...

People assume because we go to Disney that we love everything Disney and I want nothing to do with that kitschy crap. I appreciate the thought, but my mother does it consistently and there is nothing in my house that is Disney related except for kids toys and now my youngest is 10 that is barely around.

Haha yes! Last year my Boyfriend's son (age 15) got me a Minnie Mouse watch from 5 Below. I honestly appreciated so much that he had thought of me and knows I love Disney, but this was a white banded watch with dangly charms hanging from it, very gaudy. I've worn it a few times around him just to let him know I appreciate it, but it's definitely not something I would choose! On the same note, my mother thinks because the sunflower is my favorite flower I'll love anything that has sunflowers on it, sigh.

The older I get, the only things I really want are consumables, wine, gourmet goodies, nice coffee, stuff that will get used and I don't have to find a place to put it.

More luggage. My parents keep finding good sales on luggage and have given us giant pieces every year. I now have at least 5 huge pieces of luggage and nowhere to store them. Nice luggage, but I don't need that many pieces. Time to rotate to a different household good, like new sheets.

My in-laws still do stocking stuffers so while it's not exactly under the tree----we don't expect it (we're 29 and 28) but we know they like to do it.

The horrible candy they put into the stocking stuffers. I know they want the stockings to be fuller but some of the candy they buy is just gross.

Like this that has appeared in stockings for several years from father-in-law (he does give the same stuff to each of his chidren so it's not a personal thing):
View attachment 282088

I was raised big on 'it's the thought that counts' so it's not that we're not appreciative but really no one wants the above candy :crazy2: so it's just buying something that ends up in the trash unfortunately.
My kids actually love those! :laughing:

OMG I thought surely no one actually likes those :rotfl2:
I know, isn't it awful? Just looking at them makes me gag. But then my kids don't like chocolate. I'm like, whose kids ARE you? Thankfully my daughter goes with me to help choose candy for the stockings. Thankfully she has a mind for details, and knows who likes sour this or gummy that.

Bath and Body Works.

Love it, but I have 8 wallflowers, 2 3-wick candles, 6 body sprays, 8 shower gels, and several different lotions. I get it for myself through the year, and really, really don't need any more. Especially since I didn't look in my cabinet for shower gel before buying a bunch at $3.25 the other day. Sigh.

I know, isn't it awful? Just looking at them makes me gag. But then my kids don't like chocolate. I'm like, whose kids ARE you? Thankfully my daughter goes with me to help choose candy for the stockings. Thankfully she has a mind for details, and knows who likes sour this or gummy that.
Ugh yeah the thought gets a sour taste in my mouth yuck lol

Doesn't like chocolate!? :scared1: :faint:

Bath and Body Works.

Love it, but I have 8 wallflowers, 2 3-wick candles, 6 body sprays, 8 shower gels, and several different lotions. I get it for myself through the year, and really, really don't need any more. Especially since I didn't look in my cabinet for shower gel before buying a bunch at $3.25 the other day. Sigh.
My mom and I went into Bath and Body Works like 2 weeks ago. Over half the store was candles. I haven't walked into the store in a long while since I'm like you and have stocked up when it was like 75% off so I've got enough lotions and enough shower gels for several years. Anywho we walked in and both my mom and I were like "what is this the Yankee Candle store" lol.

On a side note when I was growing up Bath and Body Works was the place to get nail polish and I bought tons and tons long before I started in on my 75% off addiction period. That store just does that to me I guess :laughing:

The $10 GC to Starbucks that my ILs get my every year as my gift. I don't drink Starbucks, and they also do it to be hurtful (they spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on everyone else in the family and make a point to give me that $10 GC each year). I'd rather they get me nothing at all than something designed to make me upset.

What the heck?? I would confront them on it in front of everyone and hand it back to them. Something like: "Oh, another year, another $10 Starbucks gift card. Funny, you know I don't go to Starbucks and, yet, you continue to get me this $10 gift card every year. Thanks but no thank you" and hand it back.
They are intentionally being CRUEL to you. There should be no problem in you giving it right back to them.
If your spouse takes issue, tell him that HE should be just as insulted!

Food. I've gotten food the last 4 years from extended family. It used to be funny. Now it's not.

The worst part is it's food I don't even eat: pork chops, flight of jelly beans, spaghetti, pumpkin roll with nuts. I did get a chocolate cake once which was okay... But giving a teenager food for Christmas is just... Weird.

Food. I've gotten food the last 4 years from extended family. It used to be funny. Now it's not.

The worst part is it's food I don't even eat: pork chops, flight of jelly beans, spaghetti, pumpkin roll with nuts. I did get a chocolate cake once which was okay... But giving a teenager food for Christmas is just... Weird.
Pork chops??? I could see a basket of snacks but not meat!

Pork chops??? I could see a basket of snacks but not meat!

Yeah... A basket of snacks would've been a good idea for a college student. I ended up fixing the pork chops and giving them away to a friend since I don't eat pork. I've given away all of the food gifts except the flight of jelly beans because I did enjoy one of the 24 flavors.

The worst part is that the person that gave me the pork chops got a gift card to my favorite restaurant that year LOL

I really do appreciate the kind thought behind most gifts - but wish i could stop people from buying kitschy knick knacks. I have way too much clutter and keep stuffing all these things in more boxes in closets.

I always thank them, smile, etc, and wouldn't dream of hurting their feelings. But at other times of the year, I'll will pointedly mention how I'm trying to declutter and don't want to buy or get any more "stuff". But sure enough, it still comes my way every birthday & holiday.

I have so many budget-friendly likes - my favorite table wine is $8/bottle! I love good coffee of any brand. Nice soaps or candles. Just give me something I can use. Yet I keep unwrapping figurines, heavy framed prints I absolutely hate, and other dust catchers they're probably regifting or taking from their own closets to cut THEIR clutter.:rotfl2:

NO ONE in the extended family will agree to a no-gift-for-adults plan or a name exchange. EVERYONE buys for EVERYONE...and the list of people grows as parents, step parents and other relatives of our in-laws now attend.:crazy2:

I think my new year's resolution will be to finally ditch the guilt and donate it all to the Salvation Army!

Last edited:
I tell everyone all the time: Anything that has to do with cooking or cleaning does not belong under a tree. I’m a stay at home mom. Cooking and cleaning is my job. How would you like a pack of pencils or a ream of paper under the tree to bring to your office job?

My MIL finally stopped buying me household and decorating items years ago when she found out I was selling the stuff on eBay.

Other things I don’t want to see are those “free with purchase” items. I have a relative that likes to buy herself something, get a free gift then wrap it up and give it to me. Last year I got a sample size bottle of eye makeup remover.

Reese’s peanut butter cups, pull and peel twizzlers and Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries are things I always get and never eat. I think they are gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter