So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?

I hope my husband doesn't buy me any more 2X clothing. I'm not the 130 lbs I was when we got married, but I'm more of a "large" girl. Last year I got a giant raincoat and some Rogaine. (In all fairness, I lost all my hair to chemo, so Rogaine was a thoughtful gift.)
Other than that, I'd take any present at all. The "filler" presents, gift cards, whatever! I love to give more than receive, but even though I am 47 years old, I want to open a present. I want someone to take the time (I don't care about the money) to pick out something they think I will like and wrap it up. My parents and brother are gone. I can completely afford anything I want, but sometimes I want someone to shop for me, wracking their brain to find an awesome gift I will love. I feel kind of pathetic typing this out, but I am kind of safe and anonymous here, so I'll just go ahead and tell the truth.

I hope my husband doesn't buy me any more 2X clothing. I'm not the 130 lbs I was when we got married, but I'm more of a "large" girl. Last year I got a giant raincoat and some Rogaine. (In all fairness, I lost all my hair to chemo, so Rogaine was a thoughtful gift.)
Other than that, I'd take any present at all. The "filler" presents, gift cards, whatever! I love to give more than receive, but even though I am 47 years old, I want to open a present. I want someone to take the time (I don't care about the money) to pick out something they think I will like and wrap it up. My parents and brother are gone. I can completely afford anything I want, but sometimes I want someone to shop for me, wracking their brain to find an awesome gift I will love. I feel kind of pathetic typing this out, but I am kind of safe and anonymous here, so I'll just go ahead and tell the truth.
I feel the same way. I spend hours picking out thoughtful gifts for everyone on our Christmas list and every year, I hope one person takes the time to find me something I'll love.

My husband wrapped up a bathroom sink that he wanted to put in the bathroom he uses. I was not amused. :/

I always find it interesting when gift cards make the list on these threads especially when it's coupled with "it's not thoughtful". Now obviously there are times (like the poster here with the $10 starbucks) where it's not done with good intentions but I would much prefer you get me a gift card (even a visa one) rather than something I won't use, won't fit me, or isn't my taste because you felt like I had to have something to open (I'll still appreciate whatever you give me but still). What I consider thoughtful is that you know I appreciate and love gift cards. So to me I think it comes down to knowing your recipient.

We still request Home Depot gift cards (when someone asks us what we actually want) because we use them for our home projects plus other random things like buying a lawn mower or a leaf blower or trimmer, etc We built our master bedroom closet from gift cards given to us that were Home Depot for example.

Anything....! We decided to travel again this year and while we always promise no gifts due to that he always buys some things anyway and then I feel guilty. I do as well mind you, small ones so there is something fun to unwrap, but he tends to do "more".

Ummm I dont want chocolate or sweets/candy its tradtion in my house so I get it every year and always end up giving it to my brother

I love getting gifts but mostly buy my own because I'm a better bargain shopper than DH. :P Since I also pay the bills, I'd like to make our dollars stretch for other things and my wants are pretty cheap.

I can't think of anything I really don't enjoy. Maybe a calendar just because I don't use wall calendars anymore. I love gift cards as long as they are to places I shop.

Anything, really. I don't typically enjoy getting gifts. It makes me uncomfortable. I get very anxious if I DO see something with my name on it. Luckily, my DH understands this :) We typically do something nice "for the family" as a gift. Just one of my many quirks :)

I thought that I was alone in this. I get so anxious when someone gives me a gift. The more expensive the gift the more anxiety. And don't even get me started on unexpected gifts. This year is perfect as my sisters and I took a girl's trip to WDW in October and I told DH that I wanted the trip to come from our gift budget (i.e. my birthday and Christmas gifts) and not our annual vacation budget. My birthday was anxiety free and Christmas will be mostly so.

Anything that is purchased just to have something under the tree--those things I don't need or want and feel guilty about because I'm just going to get rid of them. I don't want fuzzy socks, I don't want a mug with a cocoa packet. If it's from the (young) kids, ok. But from adult family/in-laws, I would just prefer not to get anything. Ok, maybe a Disney gift card :D But seriously, I wish we could keep Christmas for the kids, and the adults could just enjoy each other's company. I'd love to go out to dinner together or have a dinner night together at home. I love that my sister and I have an annual trip to Disneyland in early Dec. and that's our gift. I love getting together with my adult daughter and baking treats. That kind of thing is what's special to me about holidays, not gifts, and it's frankly an expense that often seems like a waste.

Bolding is mine because I so agree. I started a thread in a past holiday season about this sentiment and teacher's gifts. I got pretty flamed for my "ungrateful attitude" but you expressed, probably better than me, what I meant. I feel guilty and anxious when I receive gifts that I know I can't/won't use. I write heartfelt sincere thank you notes but still feel badly.

Screeeetch! STOP. Wait a minute.

Are you serious? That is HORRIBLE!!
What does your spouse say????

I too would love to know your DH's reaction.

The $10 GC to Starbucks that my ILs get my every year as my gift. I don't drink Starbucks, and they also do it to be hurtful (they spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on everyone else in the family and make a point to give me that $10 GC each year). I'd rather they get me nothing at all than something designed to make me upset.

You should regift the same card back to them every single year. They will get the memo or you will never have to buy them another gift. Either way it’s a win.

The $10 GC to Starbucks that my ILs get my every year as my gift. I don't drink Starbucks, and they also do it to be hurtful (they spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on everyone else in the family and make a point to give me that $10 GC each year). I'd rather they get me nothing at all than something designed to make me upset.
I would no longer spend the holidays with them and my DH would back me up. Could you announce that you were no longer exchanging gifts with family at all and no longer receiving gifts as well and make a donation to charity instead amd call it a day.

My husband and I buy each other WDW annual passes. Those count for birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine's Day too. Earlier in our marriage he would get me bud vases and travel sewing kits and things that he got for "free" with his credit card rewards. I told my 21 year old daughter to please not buy me anything - I would rather just spend "girl time" with her at a movie, a show, dinner, whatever (my treat). To answer the original question I do not want to see mugs, knick knacks, socks other than SmartWool, any kind of clothes, most food items, appliances, etc. Gift cards are okay (my students like to give me Starbucks giftcards even though I can't drink their coffee - I use them to buy food and vanilla frappes at WDW locations).

Wow sorry but so many folks complaining about getting a gift. For shame folks. Coming off petty here

I understand, except it is the SIL that makes a huge income. Me and DH cant afford much but we put some thought into the gift. The SIL traveled to Hawaii a lot and the one year I got 3 packs of coffee from the hotel room.:rotfl:. I am pretty cheap for myself, I would always even accept a pair of cheap earrings. But oh well, I never said anything, I let it go. But I would just donate the gc to someone who could use it. Not much you can do about what someone gives you.

Wow sorry but so many folks complaining about getting a gift. For shame folks. Coming off petty here
Well, given that the title of the thread is
So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?
I would expect the posts to be about gifts that one would rather NOT receive. For shame for trying to flame people for just responding to the question. If you don't like the topic, don't read the thread!

As long as it is accepted gracefully who cares if people want to discuss the gifts the get.
I've gotten some bad gifts from my dh, we laugh about it. I've even given bad gifts and I'd rather know it was bad then continue to think it was good. It's nice not being so uptight.

I had a awful MIL who would buy me clothes many sizes too big then say something like I hope it's large enough.
My friend had one even worse. Her MIL gave her a padded toilet seat for her bony bum! She sent her a lovely thank you card and wrote that she would think of her every time she used it.

I agree with the "filler" gifts. Please don't feel the need to give me a random gift just because you think I need to have something to open. I love to give gifts but I ensure it's something that the person really wants. I honestly prefer giving experiences over material things.

My in-laws tend to hit the trifecta with going overboard/buying gifts just to buy them/and not listening to what we really need. For example, DH & I got married on a cruise this year. DH is 1 of 3 kids and his brother & sister and their significant others were coming to the wedding. So we asked that instead of buying us random gifts we don't need, get everyone a Southwest gift card or Carnival gift card, etc. Guess what they bought instead? A drone. They thought it would be fun for everyone to use. It's been used twice and now sits in their garage. Hundreds of dollars just wasted. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter