So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?

STUFF if that makes sense.
I am tired of getting little things that people see and think of me.
Its not that I don't appreciate the thought and honestly I'll probably like it but I just really don't need more things that have no actual use ya know?

Anything from my mother.

She wants to buy stuff for Christmas but she’ll be asking me for financial help 2 months later.

Ok, I'll gladly take those off your hands. I'd love to go or they are worth a ton.
Family knows that if anyone lost their mind and purchased these for me, I would sell them to the highest bidder and then yelled at them. I have made my dislike of the show known. Thankfully my family seems to be in their right mind and won't pay the insane prices.

I swear the best Xmas we had was the year we went to VT to visit extended family and the whole family was told only something you make can be gifted. We went to candlelight carols church service on there then sang carols in the neighborhood. We decorated a freshly cut tree with popcorn and cranberries and paper ornaments. We awoke and exchanged simple gifts like brownies, honey, maple syrup, granola, wooden toys, knitted mittens and scarves and small hand crafted gifts,had a huge breakfast then went sledding. It was so much less stressful.

Any appliance or object that is used for housework and/or cleaning.

My husband gave me a George Foreman grill one year. As I opened it, he said something like, "I've been wanted to try one of these" - as in he wanted me to cook for him on it. After he had the thing surgically removed from his backside, I made him return it.

I swear the best Xmas we had was the year we went to VT to visit extended family and the whole family was told only something you make can be gifted. We went to candlelight carols church service on there then sang carols in the neighborhood. We decorated a freshly cut tree with popcorn and cranberries and paper ornaments. We awoke and exchanged simple gifts like brownies, honey, maple syrup, granola, wooden toys, knitted mittens and scarves and small hand crafted gifts,had a huge breakfast then went sledding. It was so much less stressful.

I can see where a lot of people would think this was charming and lovely, but I would run so far and so fast from this. I am glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not too picky about gifts. The only thing I hate seeing under the tree is stuff my DH paid full price for that could have been purchased at a discount if he had actualy shopped around. The gifts are always nice things, but I cringe at the amount of money spent.

Wow sorry but so many folks complaining about getting a gift. For shame folks. Coming off petty here
There's nothing petty about it if you read the replies. The complaint is not about getting a gift, it is that the gifts in question are unnecessary and the wishes of the recipient are being ignored, or worse, purposely disrespected.

Last year DH bought me several things. One was a lovely turtleneck sweater. I am going through menopause and it actually made me sick to think of wearing it. I don’t normally don’t return any of his gifts even if I don’t particularly like them but I did return that sweater. So, again this year, turtlenecks.

Last year DH bought me several things. One was a lovely turtleneck sweater. I am going through menopause and it actually made me sick to think of wearing it. I don’t normally don’t return any of his gifts even if I don’t particularly like them but I did return that sweater. So, again this year, turtlenecks.
I feel your pain

My DH's family does a big exchange. I would love if they would move to just gifts for the kids. I know that the older, financially established members really enjoy it. Kids are part of the exchange so I have to buy for 4. The amount limit has gone from $25 to thirty and seemed to work its way to around $50 lately. For 4 people that is a lot. We can financially swing it but I know it is harder for some of the younger couples with a couple kids.

A car. DH insists I need a new car and likes to tease me about surprising me for Christmas. But, I am very attached to my car and not ready to part with it and it doesn't make financial sense since it runs just fine. Just physically, it's starting to look rough, on the inside mostly as kids and dogs have done s number on it. The outside isn't bad. Front grill and roof starting to peel but with the color, it's hard to tell. I think he knows better though that a car surprise I would not like, as I've told him I'll take it back to the dealer, lol!

Also I don't want a gadget, no iWatch. I have a feeling one will end up my way as a gift soon as DH loves gadget gifts to me. I resisted the kindle and iPad a lot and got those in the past, yes I ended up liking them

DH and I have talked about it many times, and we decided together that the right choice to make in this situation is to accept the gift graciously and with kindness. In other words, we don't give them the reaction that they want, we model the mature behavior they aren't exhibiting, and we take the high road. In no way do I think that making a stand or throwing a fit would change their behavior in this particular situation - they will never admit they're in the wrong, so to start a fight about it wouldn't lead to things changing.

That's not to say, however, that we let them do this when it's something that's really important - when our children were small they started out showing that sort of favoritism with our eldest, and I immediately and permanently put a stop to that behavior in no uncertain terms. DH backed me up. If I saw that their behavior towards me was affecting our children I'd put a stop to it, but until then we've chosen the approach above.

I highlighted this..... As kids don't miss anything, and when they are young they might not understand but they know something's just not right. As they get older they will see it, and understand it. They could think that its okay for someone to treat them like this in the future ...well grandma and granddad treat my mom like this so I guess its suppose to be like this... would you want your son or daughter to be treated like this in the future, by their his or her In-laws...or they could act out towards your DH's parents, or start treating you like the in-laws treat you well mom lets grandma and granddad treat her like this and its okay... When my DD was about 8 years old, she called me and told me she was coming home early from her dads, and I knew something was wrong just by her voice. She was so upset when she got home, I gave her some space when she was ready she told me, that my EX-MIL was talking about me, and not in a nice way... and apparently my little 8 year old DD came to my defense and told her to stop talking about me, and told her dad she wanted to come home, and his mom went even further to say well I guess your going to be like your mother... and at 8 years old she said...I hope so... To this day and she is 28 she will not have anything to do with her. I taught her to be respectful towards her, when she was around her. I will say that after she went to bed I was on the phone with her Dad and made it very clear what the new rules were, and he was like well you know how she is... I said so its okay to upset our DD... that's the problem in a nut shell...Its not okay... and it better not happen again...

This hits so close to home that I'm very passionate about it and am getting off the podium now...... As always you know what's best for your family, wishing love and pixie dust to you and yours this holiday season.

Anything Disney...

People assume because we go to Disney that we love everything Disney and I want nothing to do with that kitschy crap. I appreciate the thought, but my mother does it consistently and there is nothing in my house that is Disney related except for kids toys and now my youngest is 10 that is barely around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter