• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?

Well, I wouldn't want to get a broom, but a Roomba? Happy camper. Any household-type gift that actually saves me work is a winner. Knick-knacks are NOT winners; I have issues with being unable to conquer clutter as it is, without adding items that don't at least have a practical use. (FWIW, I'll never forget the time my Dad got my mom an electric floor buffer. She LOVED that gift, because it meant she no longer had to get down on her knees to polish the hardwood floors. All of the jewelry he ever bought her paled in her eyes compared to that floor buffer, because it was luxury that made life easier for her every single week.)

As to things I really actively DON'T want (other than the knick-knacks), that would be scented products or anything having to do with coffee. I don't like getting headaches on Christmas morning.

A note about people who give something and say, "I saw it and it just reminded me of you." Really, say anything else, but don't say that unless the person is already gushing over the gift, because it's one of the biggest minefields on the planet, especially when the person you are giving it to is family. If it turns out that the item is something that the recipient would never in a million years choose to use, display or be fond of, that statement can make what is merely an unfortunate choice of gift actually hurt, because it sends a clear message that the person who bought it for you doesn't actually KNOW you at all.
Funny, about 4 years ago, I told the kids to tell dad to get me a roomba (I vacuumed every day). He got it, I felt guilty, finally opened it up around easter, and fell in love with it. It’s now getting a little tired, just saw that they’re on sale at Costco this week - I’m asking for another one!

Of course, this is the person who txt me a picture of a Vera Bradley purse one year asking if I liked it, to which I replied "Well, I'd hope so because I have that exact purse"
Guess what I got for Christmas that year.......

Do t you hate when people ask then do what they want anyway? Last year my cousin texted me a picture of a bracelet and asked if I thought my sister would like it. I texted back immediately saying I didn’t think she would because I can’t remember ever seeing her wear a bracelet. My cousin bought the bracelet anyway and surprise, surprise, my sister hated it.

Surprised at how many people are against the cooking/cleaning/etc kind of gifts (not just in this thread, but in general). In my family that kind of stuff is common, and we are all more than ok with it. I'd rather someone buy me a vacuum if I needed one. If they know I need it, I'd love to get it and not have to spend my own money on it.

My dad has been saying all summer how he needs a new trimmer, but doesn't want to spend the money on one. Guess what he's getting this year? Once again, he needs it, but doesn't really want to spend the money on it. These are the kinds of gifts we get each other every year. Last year I got my parents an air fryer. They use it often, and like it much more than the old deep fryer they had before. A few years ago they needed tires for their car, so I bought them. Yeah, they may not be the most personal kind of gifts, but they are needed and we know they'll be used.

I don't mind cooking/cleaning gifts either. In fact, I'd much rather have that than someone go buy me perfume (fragrance allergies) or clothing (I'm picky) or shoes (picky feet) or jewelry (hardly wear it)...so yeah, gifts that help me cook easier or clean faster are totally fine with me. And I am a SAHM :)

The gift I'd most NOT like to see under the tree would probably be perfume or some highly fragranced lotion from B&BW...however, there is little doubt I will have just that. My MIL, despite being my MIL for many years and knowing my sensitivities to scents, will absolutely buy me something like that cause she loves it herself and buys based on what she loves. I'll give it to my dd who also loves that kind of thing.

Let me guess....she drives a Kia? That's all my Optima came with too.

Yup, a 2012 Kia Soul. But my understanding is that more and more cars are coming this way now (one article I saw said nearly a third of 2017 cars sold had no spare)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter