• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what's the one gift you DON'T want to see under the tree for you?

I tell everyone all the time: Anything that has to do with cooking or cleaning does not belong under a tree. I’m a stay at home mom. Cooking and cleaning is my job. How would you like a pack of pencils or a ream of paper under the tree to bring to your office job?

My MIL finally stopped buying me household and decorating items years ago when she found out I was selling the stuff on eBay.

Other things I don’t want to see are those “free with purchase” items. I have a relative that likes to buy herself something, get a free gift then wrap it up and give it to me. Last year I got a sample size bottle of eye makeup remover.

Reese’s peanut butter cups, pull and peel twizzlers and Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries are things I always get and never eat. I think they are gross.
Hey, if those Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries are dark chocolate, send them over here, will you?

Totally agree on the rest of it!

Agreed with the knick knacks and Bath and Body Works and B&BW esque items. I finally purged a good deal of gifts I received over the years, but felt too guilty to get rid of. I ended up donating it all. Honestly I'd like gift cards for food or the movies.

Surprised at how many people are against the cooking/cleaning/etc kind of gifts (not just in this thread, but in general). In my family that kind of stuff is common, and we are all more than ok with it. I'd rather someone buy me a vacuum if I needed one. If they know I need it, I'd love to get it and not have to spend my own money on it.

My dad has been saying all summer how he needs a new trimmer, but doesn't want to spend the money on one. Guess what he's getting this year? Once again, he needs it, but doesn't really want to spend the money on it. These are the kinds of gifts we get each other every year. Last year I got my parents an air fryer. They use it often, and like it much more than the old deep fryer they had before. A few years ago they needed tires for their car, so I bought them. Yeah, they may not be the most personal kind of gifts, but they are needed and we know they'll be used.

Surprised at how many people are against the cooking/cleaning/etc kind of gifts (not just in this thread, but in general). In my family that kind of stuff is common, and we are all more than ok with it. I'd rather someone buy me a vacuum if I needed one. If they know I need it, I'd love to get it and not have to spend my own money on it.

My dad has been saying all summer how he needs a new trimmer, but doesn't want to spend the money on one. Guess what he's getting this year? Once again, he needs it, but doesn't really want to spend the money on it. These are the kinds of gifts we get each other every year. Last year I got my parents an air fryer. They use it often, and like it much more than the old deep fryer they had before. A few years ago they needed tires for their car, so I bought them. Yeah, they may not be the most personal kind of gifts, but they are needed and we know they'll be used.

I'm with you - buy me something I need for a gift, and free me up to spend my own money on something I want - I know I'll get the exact right thing! :)

I made DD17 put a spare tire on her list this year. Her car is one of those that came with just a can of fix-a-flat and a mini air compressor. I think safety would be a great gift! If none of the extended family gets it, guess what's going to be her birthday present this year?

Hey, if those Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries are dark chocolate, send them over here, will you?

Totally agree on the rest of it!

Milk chocolate, but it’s the super sized package!

I’m the opposite. If it keeps my household running efficiently I just get what I need when I need it. Even if i asked extended family for household items they would buy what they deem appropriate and not what I need. I feel guilty spending everyday money on frivolous things like a $400-$500 handbag and another $200 on a wallet!

One year we gave my mother-in-law, who is elderly and on a fixed income, a gift card to Meijer. She made a comment something like, oh how unusual. Now several years later all she wants is practical gifts because her money isn't holding out very well since my father-in-law is gone. Funny how her attitude changed. And yes, one year her kids chipped in on new tires for her van.

I am thankful that my immediate and extended family all give me lovely gifts, but I am always bummed that they are usually just wrapped and have a stick on bow or even no bow at all. I think half the fun of gifting is the beautiful wrapping and the care someone took. I suppose because I love making beautifully wrapped presents. I mostly give gift cards or tickets to experiences but I always make a point of putting it in a box and wrapping the box so everyone gets to open packages.

...but you used a stick on label!

We're working on thinning out our possessions since I'll be retiring next year and we want to move to a smaller place within 3 years or so. Honestly, we have everything we need and most things we want. I finally asked my brothers if we could stop exchanging gifts with them and their families because all they were asking for were gift cards and I didn't see the point of trading gift cards. I'm happy they agreed and so we'll just exchange with my sister and mom, our DD and SIL and our goddaughter. I'm trying to convince DH that we should spend on travel and experiences for each other since we don't need anything but he still likes opening gifts and so there will be some things under the tree for us as well.

I'll take those! I've already informed my husband that these need to be somewhere in Christmas for me.
Darn it! I was going to call dibs on them ;) DH gets them for me the moment he sees them in stores.

Last edited:
My father bought my mother a pair of isotoner gloves with thinsulate and a isotoner hood (like just a hood).

... there not married anymore (this was a straw that broke the camels back time of event).

Well, I wouldn't want to get a broom, but a Roomba? Happy camper. Any household-type gift that actually saves me work is a winner. Knick-knacks are NOT winners; I have issues with being unable to conquer clutter as it is, without adding items that don't at least have a practical use. (FWIW, I'll never forget the time my Dad got my mom an electric floor buffer. She LOVED that gift, because it meant she no longer had to get down on her knees to polish the hardwood floors. All of the jewelry he ever bought her paled in her eyes compared to that floor buffer, because it was luxury that made life easier for her every single week.)

As to things I really actively DON'T want (other than the knick-knacks), that would be scented products or anything having to do with coffee. I don't like getting headaches on Christmas morning.

A note about people who give something and say, "I saw it and it just reminded me of you." Really, say anything else, but don't say that unless the person is already gushing over the gift, because it's one of the biggest minefields on the planet, especially when the person you are giving it to is family. If it turns out that the item is something that the recipient would never in a million years choose to use, display or be fond of, that statement can make what is merely an unfortunate choice of gift actually hurt, because it sends a clear message that the person who bought it for you doesn't actually KNOW you at all.

A note about people who give something and say, "I saw it and it just reminded me of you." Really, say anything else, but don't say that unless the person is already gushing over the gift, because it's one of the biggest minefields on the planet, especially when the person you are giving it to is family. If it turns out that the item is something that the recipient would never in a million years choose to use, display or be fond of, that statement can make what is merely an unfortunate choice of gift actually hurt, because it sends a clear message that the person who bought it for you doesn't actually KNOW you at all.

Yikes! Too funny. I was going to use that EXACT line when giving my SIL a funny TShirt I saw - it had a saying on it that reminded me so much of things she always says. I'm giving it to her as a little joke gift (along with a generous gift card to her favorite restaurant). I actually thought saying that would show I took the time/trouble to add something that reflected her sense of humor/personality vs just the GC alone. Now you have me rethinking that :laughing:

The $10 GC to Starbucks that my ILs get my every year as my gift. I don't drink Starbucks, and they also do it to be hurtful (they spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on everyone else in the family and make a point to give me that $10 GC each year). I'd rather they get me nothing at all than something designed to make me upset.

I'm so curious, what does your dh say about that?

The "antique" (read: Old generic looking) Mickey Mouse stuffed animal that my SIL sent a pic of to my husband saying they were out "antique shopping" and asking if he thought I'd like it (after she already asked what to get me and he said gcard for disney, starbucks, or Dunkin Donuts). Luckily he was driving and I was answering for him. I said "No, she doesn't like antiques, and she isn't in to stuff that just sits around collecting dust. She got rid of all her disney stuffed animals (Tiggers) years ago."

Of course, this is the person who txt me a picture of a Vera Bradley purse one year asking if I liked it, to which I replied "Well, I'd hope so because I have that exact purse"
Guess what I got for Christmas that year......
She is the world's worst gift giver and I really would rather she not get us anything than give us stuff we don't want or need (Clothes that aren't even our size, etc) and we have to fake smile and try not to laugh putting on a show and then go through the hassle of trying to figure out where she bought and return it without a receipt.

I'm with you - buy me something I need for a gift, and free me up to spend my own money on something I want - I know I'll get the exact right thing! :)

I made DD17 put a spare tire on her list this year. Her car is one of those that came with just a can of fix-a-flat and a mini air compressor. I think safety would be a great gift! If none of the extended family gets it, guess what's going to be her birthday present this year?
Let me guess....she drives a Kia? That's all my Optima came with too.

So, since I won't be able to be home for Christmas this year, (I live 6 hours from my family and used the majority of my vacation time this year to go to WDW with the family in June.) my family gave me my Christmas presents at Thanksgiving. I am happy to say that there was only 1 thing that wasn't on my list! It only took her until I was 33 years old for my mother to actually pay attention to what I am saying. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter