• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: When Will Disney Set Sail Again

When will Disney resume sailing at least one of their ships with already scheduled cruises.

• January 2021

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • February 2021

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • March 2021

Votes: 48 15.8%
  • April 2021

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • May 2021

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • June 2021

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • Later in 2021

Votes: 87 28.7%

Votes: 24 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I received an email this morning that all cruises through 6/30 now have a more generous cancellation policy (60 days for 100% refund, also only need to pay in full 60 days out). I'm guessing this is their way of saying they're probably not going anywhere until July, but maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. We're set to sail in mid-June (rescheduled from December 2019 due to my dad's health problems and December 2020 due to, you know).

I had been optimistic about March for a long time. But, of all things, it was the great vaccine news that made me less optimistic that DCL will be sailing before summer. Had the vaccine news been grim, I think more cruise lines would have decided to move forward and learned to live with the virus. I think many people would have done the same. But with the better-than-expected news, I think most lines won't take a chance and just try and hold out until summer or fall.

I know many think vaccines won't be readily available so soon, but some states are expecting to have enough vaccine for all citizens by July. With a high percentage of people who won't get the vaccine, or who want to wait longer, I think those who want it will have access in the spring to early summer. If that's true, lines can limit cruisers to those with the vaccine. I also think there is a strong chance the virus becomes seasonal, as most do, which means much lower cases in the late spring. So my new bet is sailing by June. But, I have a terrible track record at being overly optimistic about the timeline so far. I won't be shocked if I am wrong and it is later.

I don't know how lines other than DCL will hold on that long. Maybe they will just start sailing sooner, despite the vaccine on the horizon. You can only bleed millions for so long.

Last edited:
I received an email this morning that all cruises through 6/30 now have a more generous cancellation policy (60 days for 100% refund, also only need to pay in full 60 days out). I'm guessing this is their way of saying they're probably not going anywhere until July, but maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. We're set to sail in mid-June (rescheduled from December 2019 due to my dad's health problems and December 2020 due to, you know).
I got the same email but I interpreted it as an attempt to give people an "easy out," thus giving Disney a pain-free way to get down to 50% occupancy and facilitate social distancing without cancelling the reservations of people who really want to go. Also, by making the cancellation policy more generous, they can decrease the passenger manifest without having to give everyone a 125% FCC (which is probably not a great liability to have on the books when they're so close(ish) to reopening). I could be totally wrong, but that was how I read it. I'm also probably being optimistic because I have a late-June cruise scheduled and I intend to be on it! :beach::beach:

With Disney approaching nearly a year idled, I'm suspecting that a large percentage of their current bookings are using FCC. If you have a second cruise cancellation, I'm pretty sure you don't get 125% of 125%; your credit remains the same if subsequent cruises are cancelled.

Totally, and if people cancel their reservations on their own accord then they lose that 125% FCC, which I bet Disney would be perfectly fine with if they're trying to get a fully-booked ship down to 50% capacity (or whatever it is).

I'm starting to think the answer to the question about when DCL will sail again is "never."

Pfizer is now saying they are unsure whether or not their vaccine will confer immunity (i.e., you may still be contagious). So, how will having an immunity pass, proof of vaccine, etc. make anyone safe?

The Prizer chairman's comments about not being sure whether their vaccine confers herd immunity makes the strategy of "hunkering down" and waiting for the vaccine a fool's errand. Look for him to try to "clarify" his comments.

I see that Feb 2021 is now canceled. I think May is a realistic start date now

Pfizer is now saying they are unsure whether or not their vaccine will confer immunity (i.e., you may still be contagious). So, how will having an immunity pass, proof of vaccine, etc. make anyone safe?

Pfizer would prefer that everyone take it, not just high risk groups. 100% vaccinated cruises only?

I'm starting to think the answer to the question about when DCL will sail again is "never."

Those vaccinated would be "safe". Once everyone has the option to vaccinate, then it is up to them if they want to risk transmission or not.

Pfizer would prefer that everyone take it, not just high risk groups. 100% vaccinated cruises only?

Honestly IMO once people can make the choice, the companies won't risk blame. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems fair that at that point its out of their hands and into ours.

Those vaccinated would be "safe". Once everyone has the option to vaccinate, then it is up to them if they want to risk transmission or not.

Honestly IMO once people can make the choice, the companies won't risk blame. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems fair that at that point its out of their hands and into ours.

I know those vaccinated would be "safe." But, why would anyone care whether or not someone else was vaccinated if they were vaccinated?

Thinking that July 4th will be the BIG BANG RETURN.

well with it more likely that The Magic will stay in Europe over the winter, my guess is the Saturday May 22, 2021 7 Night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona will be the first sailing for The Magic.

Where did you see that? I've been keeping up on vaccine developments and it still says that the vaccine is ~90% effective (i.e. there's an about 90% chance that you'll be immune after you receive the vaccine.) Where did you see a statement that it might not confer immunity?

From what I read, vaccines aren’t approved yet for kids under 18. So children wouldn’t be able to go?
I’m rescheduled from April 2021 to April 2022 and hope that one sails.

I know those vaccinated would be "safe." But, why would anyone care whether or not someone else was vaccinated if they were vaccinated?
I think you will find there will be some who will not care, I would think you could put most of the anti maskers in that category as they don't care now, however people who do wear a mask now would probably care. There are going to be some out there that for what ever reason can't get vaccinated and I care about them. Since these vaccines aren't 100% I care that I could still pass it in some form.
It's like the flu, I have a flu shot but I still cough into my elbow and sneeze into a tissue and wash my hands a lot because I don't know if the other person has had their shot. Doing those things are not to protect me, they are to protect others. If someone doesn't care they would be pretty cold IMO.

I think you will find there will be some who will not care, I would think you could put most of the anti maskers in that category as they don't care now, however people who do wear a mask now would probably care. There are going to be some out there that for what ever reason can't get vaccinated and I care about them. Since these vaccines aren't 100% I care that I could still pass it in some form.
It's like the flu, I have a flu shot but I still cough into my elbow and sneeze into a tissue and wash my hands a lot because I don't know if the other person has had their shot. Doing those things are not to protect me, they are to protect others. If someone doesn't care they would be pretty cold IMO.

Since "its like the flu," I seem to recall lots of people not wearing masks or getting flu shots in previous years. Lots of cold people. I guess 2020 was the year that mankind cured himself of coldness and selfishness, for the most part. And here we were thinking 2020 was a bad year.

From what I read, vaccines aren’t approved yet for kids under 18. So children wouldn’t be able to go?
I’m rescheduled from April 2021 to April 2022 and hope that one sails.

I hadn't thought about that. I hope you can sail. We are scheduled for an October Canada sailing, but will cancel if they are requiring masks. I would be willing to be tested prior to sailing, and may get the vaccine.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about that. I hope you can sail. We are scheduled for an October Canada sailing, but will cancel if they are requiring masks. I would be willing to be tested prior to sailing, and may get the vaccine.

Masks will be prevalent and/or required in most public places for the entire 2021, whether ppl get vaccinated or not.
Even if 80% of ppl get vaccd in 2021, there's still a 20% that have a risk of transmitting or acquiring the virus..plus the vaccine will not be 100% effective... so, masks will be required to mitigate.
For an entire country population to be immunized vs a certain virus, you need years, not months.
2022 is the earliest you can expect life coming back to normal, pre-covid conditions, if all works well with vaccines.
So yeah, all of 2021 ppl will be required to wear masks in lots (if not most) of public places, all around the world, including DCL...Cheers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter