Poll: When Will Disney Set Sail Again

When will Disney resume sailing at least one of their ships with already scheduled cruises.

• January 2021

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • February 2021

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • March 2021

Votes: 48 15.8%
  • April 2021

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • May 2021

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • June 2021

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • Later in 2021

Votes: 87 28.7%

Votes: 24 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Husker Mike

DIS Veteran
We know that DCL won't sail in 2020, and we know that the CDC has put together a multi-step process for cruise lines to return to sailing that includes a 60 day period for the CDC to approve these plans. So time to poll again.

This isn't when do you HOPE DCL will set sail again... it's when you actually think one of DCL's ships will actually sail one of the currently scheduled cruises.

I picked March. We have a cruise booked for January and I don't think it will sail. Just looking at the open cabins, the ship is pretty empty.

I also picked March. That is our next scheduled cruise but I doubt very much we will be on it. Canada seems to be tightening up their quarantine plans, not loosening them. And eventhough they are now offering rapid testing at airports, it's only at one so far and I doubt it will be expanded to other airports for several more months.

We have one scheduled for January. Do you really think it will be cancelled also? :guilty: I mean they have to resume sometime, why not then?

We have 3 cruises booked for 2021 - And I'm ready to cruise right about now.
But I voted 2022
The virus is worse than its ever been, and if there's no treatment or vaccine in sight so there's no way a cruise will sail safely in 2021.
Even with a vaccine, it needs to be distributed en masse in January for cruises to sail kind of safely in March 2021
There's no indication a vaccine or treatment is imminent, so I don't see any DCL sailing in the first half of 2021
If a vaccine/treatment comes out from December to March, then yes, there is a good chance.
But so far, we're at the mercy of this brutal virus.

We have one scheduled for January. Do you really think it will be cancelled also? :guilty: I mean they have to resume sometime, why not then?
At this point, doing the return to service routine in the new order wouldn't have them doing routine sailings by January.

The DCL ships all have to file EDC for 28 days before even being allowed back in US waters. Prior to applying for a Conditional Sailing Certificate, the cruise line must have agreements with and approvals from port and local health authorities in the U. S. ports where the ship intends to dock. They have to quarantine all incoming crew for 14 days with tests. They have to run simulated cruises. And they have to modify any sailing over 7 nights.

Just the 28 days of filing and the crew quarantines put them into January before they can do any simulations.

Last edited:
I’m scheduled to sail next September. I’m giving it a 60% chance as of right now. Many countries are moving backwards in the covid fight and the holidays are only going to make it worse.

I voted for later in 2021. Several vaccines are in Phase 3 clinical trials. Hopefully they can wrap one up by the end of the year. It will take some time to get it distributed and then more time to notice a decrease in the new case count. Holidays and winter will make things worse worldwide. Hopefully by next summer we see the effects of the vaccine.
This is all just wishful thinking of course.

Our next cruise is a WBPC booked for March 2022. I am still hopeful that can safely happen.
With no hopes for any vacation in the next year, we are just hunkering down and paying down our mortgage. It's all I can do to find a silver lining in all of this. I'd love it if it were gone by the time our cruise happens. It very well could be if we don't get derailed.
It would make that sailing extra sweet! :cloud9:

Just changed my vote. We have three now booked for 2021. March (won't happen, we will cancel by PIF date in January). Europe in August (doubt it will happen, will probably rebook when 2022 dates are released). November. I'm sure it will sail but we might have to cancel depending on high school schedule.

I agree with @_auroraborealis_ the required documentation and testing of the systems will probably go well into January. We moved the January 2021 cruise to May 2021 because things are filling up fast from the December cancelation.

Considering the CDC has 60 days to approve any plan to resume cruising, I suspect it's very unlikely that any cruise line will be able to get approval and be able to restart by then.

I voted for later in 2021. Several vaccines are in Phase 3 clinical trials. Hopefully they can wrap one up by the end of the year. It will take some time to get it distributed and then more time to notice a decrease in the new case count. Holidays and winter will make things worse worldwide. Hopefully by next summer we see the effects of the vaccine.
This is all just wishful thinking of course.

Our next cruise is a WBPC booked for March 2022. I am still hopeful that can safely happen.
With no hopes for any vacation in the next year, we are just hunkering down and paying down our mortgage. It's all I can do to find a silver lining in all of this. I'd love it if it were gone by the time our cruise happens. It very well could be if we don't get derailed.
It would make that sailing extra sweet! :cloud9:

We're on the same sailing!
Good strategy, hunker down and wait it out, pay the mortgage, save some $.

Major silver lining for us as well. 5-figure savings for no cruises or trips this year since march, and possibly next year as well.
But 2022 is looking very good for that WBPC cruise. See ya there!

The good news is, we aren't likely to catch the flu if cruising soon returns. The Southern Hemisphere mostly skipped its flu season, and it looks like we are off to a good start in the US, based on information from the CDC. Too bad that's not the virus that is in charge.

At this point, doing the return to service routine in the new order wouldn't have them doing routine sailings by January.

The DCL ships all have to file EDC for 28 days before even being allowed back in US waters. Prior to applying for a Conditional Sailing Certificate, the cruise line must have agreements with and approvals from port and local health authorities in the U. S. ports where the ship intends to dock. They have to quarantine all incoming crew for 14 days with tests. They have to run simulated cruises. And they have to modify any sailing over 7 nights.

Just the 28 days of filing and the crew quarantines put them into January before they can do any simulations.

What do you mean? Twenty-eight days from now puts us into December, right?

Considering the CDC has 60 days to approve any plan to resume cruising, I suspect it's very unlikely that any cruise line will be able to get approval and be able to restart by then.

Do we know if DCL has submitted their plan to CDC yet? That wouldn't necessarily be public information, right?

What do you mean? Twenty-eight days from now puts us into December, right?
After getting to the US they have to do quarantines and simulated sailings. I would say DCL is at least 88 days out if they start today, and I don't think anyone has seen signs of then quickly starting.

Staffing up and the simulated trips are a huge hurdle. It is not just filing plans, but they have to also do test sailings with full crew.

After getting to the US they have to do quarantines and simulated sailings. I would say DCL is at least 88 days out if they start today, and I don't think anyone has seen signs of then quickly starting.

Staffing up and the simulated trips are a huge hurdle. It is not just filing plans, but they have to also do test sailings with full crew.

They are sailing back and forth to various docks, could those count as test sailings?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter