Poll: When Will Disney Set Sail Again

When will Disney resume sailing at least one of their ships with already scheduled cruises.

• January 2021

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • February 2021

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • March 2021

Votes: 48 15.8%
  • April 2021

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • May 2021

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • June 2021

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • Later in 2021

Votes: 87 28.7%

Votes: 24 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah I’m in a feb 21 group and normally we’d be pushing 1000 but only at 159

I'm sure many more suspect but are trying to stay positive.... I have a trip booked for Nov 2021 and even though I am not sure we'll be able to go, I still am planning as if we can. I have a lot of time sitting at home now that the weather has turned to daydream... :rolleyes1
I'm sure you're right and I try not to be the 'negative nelly' in our group :rotfl2: But so many people have already booked airfare and I'm like "you're not even allowed in the country yet!!!" lol I keep most of the 'negative' thoughts to myself because I really REALLY want this cruise to sail, but I'm also a realist....sigh.
I'm with both of you. At first I was positive that by October I'd be able to go on my sailing. Now I don't know. If things don't look so good by June/early July then I might just cancel and rebook for 2022. Lately I've just been losing hope for it.

I'm sticking with 2022 for DCL sailing again, only because there wasn't a choice for after 2022.

Yikes.
Nice to see I'm not the only negative Nelly out there
That I'm not the only member of the pessimist's club
Still, I'm 99% sure 2022 will see DCL return to the seas in full.

We are on the 10 night Northern Europe cruise August 2021 and our FB group is quite active. Several people are positive our cruise will sail, I am one of the only ones voicing serious doubt we will be going :(

I am really quite surprised how confident so many people are in there. Especially the number who are booking flights.

I am really quite surprised how confident so many people are in there. Especially the number who are booking flights.

I mean on the other hand I have a river cruise booked via Adentures by Disney for May 2021 that seems to be full speed ahead... they are in good company. I'm worried Disney won't cancel and we'll be out our deposit... unlike DCL they haven't been cancelling under AFTER the pay in full date (and the deposit is nonrefundable so its not like I can cancel on my own without throwing it away). :sad:

Yikes.
Nice to see I'm not the only negative Nelly out there
That I'm not the only member of the pessimist's club
Still, I'm 99% sure 2022 will see DCL return to the seas in full.

You're not negative, you're just living in reality.

I'm sure you're right and I try not to be the 'negative nelly' in our group :rotfl2: But so many people have already booked airfare and I'm like "you're not even allowed in the country yet!!!" lol I keep most of the 'negative' thoughts to myself because I really REALLY want this cruise to sail, but I'm also a realist....sigh.

We originally booked a May 2021 Alaska cruise on opening day, so in February when covid was known to exist but before the lockdowns and travel bans in March. In April we realized that May may well be too early, so we booked a second Alaska cruise for August 2021 [using multiple OBB deposits we put down during out B2B2B in Dec 2019; Disney already had our $ :-) ].

The August 2021 one is the one we are now planning for. Our social media group is strong, but the numbers are slowly dropping and it isn't as active as it was before. Normally, I would have bought airline tickets right when they became available at 11months or so out, but we are waiting until into the new year. We have booked our hotels, but they are all no deposit, cancel until the day before reservations.

To be honest, I think there is a high chance we won't be sailing August 2021; I don't know if the Alaska season will happen nor if DCL will be sailing it if it is, but even if it is, I don't know that our family will feel comfortable sailing by then. My backup plan is to move that May 2021 booking to summer 2022 Alaska as soon as they come out. We'd loose the OBB discount as it takes us over our 2 year mark, but oh well.

But for now, we are still planning for August 2021. The planning won't go to waste if we have to push off another year, and it gives us something productive and enjoyable to do.

If the widespread availability of a vaccine by Q3 2021 holds true then that is July. My guess is that at the end of the day, when all the dust settles, proof of vaccination will be required and off you go. We're planning on Land & Sea in November 2021. If for some reason it doesn't work out then we'll probably keep the WDW portion.

A big part to the recovery is obviously consumer confidence. Flights are increasing. People are willing to travel if they can find somewhere they are willing to travel to. Yesterday, global flights at around 12PM had about 10,000 active flights in the air. In 2019, the same time had 17,000. It's still way below but much higher than it was back in April & May. United has added 1,400 flights to the schedule for Thanksgiving week due to higher-than-expected demand.

@Starwind replace "alaska" with "europe" and that is where we are ,too. We had a 7 night Northern Europe booked for August 2020, cancelled it in January of this year (long before covid) and rebooked for the 10 night August 2021 with an OBB (which expires Oct 2021 I believe). Now we are looking at replacing it with a 2022 Northern Europe and really, really hope that DCL offers the 10 night same itinerary. But without a 10%OBB and what I'm sure will be rising prices, DCL might push us to another cruise line :(

To keep my 'negative nelly' going, I would absolutely look at moving Alaska again to 2022. Cases are on the rise again here in Canada and they are at an all time high. Provinces are rolling back openings, even here in BC where we were told in May "restrictions will not be rolled out again, no matter what." Well here we are in a 2 week holding pattern of new restrictions, set to expire November 23 but I'll be shocked if they don't extend it through to the new year.

In order for Alaska to happen 3 major things need to occur (not even talking about getting Covid under control) : Transport Canada needs to let the ban expire Feb 28 2021, the CAN/US border needs to reopen and the 14 day mandatory quarantine needs to be lifted. Not looking good at ALL from where I am standing. Gosh, I'm just a beacon of hope and light today, aren't I? :oops: :headache::crazy2:

@Starwind replace "alaska" with "europe" and that is where we are ,too. We had a 7 night Northern Europe booked for August 2020, cancelled it in January of this year (long before covid) and rebooked for the 10 night August 2021 with an OBB (which expires Oct 2021 I believe). Now we are looking at replacing it with a 2022 Northern Europe and really, really hope that DCL offers the 10 night same itinerary. But without a 10%OBB and what I'm sure will be rising prices, DCL might push us to another cruise line :(

To keep my 'negative nelly' going, I would absolutely look at moving Alaska again to 2022. Cases are on the rise again here in Canada and they are at an all time high. Provinces are rolling back openings, even here in BC where we were told in May "restrictions will not be rolled out again, no matter what." Well here we are in a 2 week holding pattern of new restrictions, set to expire November 23 but I'll be shocked if they don't extend it through to the new year.

In order for Alaska to happen 3 major things need to occur (not even talking about getting Covid under control) : Transport Canada needs to let the ban expire Feb 28 2021, the CAN/US border needs to reopen and the 14 day mandatory quarantine needs to be lifted. Not looking good at ALL from where I am standing. Gosh, I'm just a beacon of hope and light today, aren't I? :oops: :headache::crazy2:

I agree. Besides Canada lifting both the cruise ban and quarantine, CDC also has to be allowing cruises of 14 days so that the wonder can do the Panama Canal. I really don’t see DCL risking sending the Wonder through the canal, either empty or with passengers, without certainty that Alaska will happen.

I agree. Besides Canada lifting both the cruise ban and quarantine, CDC also has to be allowing cruises of 14 days so that the wonder can do the Panama Canal. I really don’t see DCL risking sending the Wonder through the canal, either empty or with passengers, without certainty that Alaska will happen.
Yep. And the WBPC cruise is due to set sail 2 days before the Transport Canada ban expires......

Yeah, I am also not thrilled about not having the OBB discount to apply toward 2022. Our OBB deposits all come from our Dec 2019 B2B2B so they expire Dec 2021; it would be nice if DCL extended them through 2022.... But that is probably wishful thinking.

We'll definitely book the 2022 Alaska as soon as we are able to; it can always be undone and the money put toward another cruise should 2021 somehow be viable.

We live in Canada so at least we could get to Vancouver :-) But yes the other barriers to an Alaska season and travel to/from Canada need to be lifted or it is a non-issue. For us Canadians of course there is also the issue of Canada's "don't travel" and "don't cruise" travel advisories; if nothing else they are likely to invalidate any travel insurance one has while they are in place [and our family won't travel in violation of the advisories; plus I doubt Canada would allow one of its ports to be used for cruising while it has a "don't cruise" advisory in place]. So lots of moving parts aside from the cruise industry itself getting back on its feet.

I think it will be a lot easier for the cruise lines to handle simple itineraries that are kind of bread and butter. More specialized or less done ones will be a lot harder for them to do and the logistics required may be too difficult. It is certainly going to be interesting seeing how things evolve.

I think it will be a lot easier for the cruise lines to handle simple itineraries that are kind of bread and butter. More specialized or less done ones will be a lot harder for them to do and the logistics required may be too difficult. It is certainly going to be interesting seeing how things evolve.
Exactly. They are going to be focusing on the Bahamas/Caribbean. They have their new private beach option in Nassau, as well as Castaway Cay—both of which are well suited to outdoor “bubble” excursions.

Alaska and Europe are places where, due to cost, safety of the port towns, and nice local atmosphere, many cruise guests like to be able to venture out on their own. Yes DCL can require people only do cruise excursions but then demand will be way down.

If they do go forward with Alaska next year, could be a golden opportunity to snag a nice discount!

We're in a 2021 Europe cruise & the sailing's FB group is losing members , not adding. It's almost inactive.
And people know. They're worried. I'm worried.
Very unlikely we'll see any DCL sailings by march. Summer? 20/80 chances

I was originally on a 2020 Med cruise, that (obviously) got canceled. Sometime in April, we booked a placeholder on the same 2021 cruise and that eventually become our new upcoming cruise once the 2020 cruise got canceled. The FB cruise group for the 21 cruise has basically gone zombie except for one poster (who's trying to keep the place alive, despite the fact the the rest of us are holding back). I sense we're all in a state of limbo.

My position on this cruise is simple - and it makes for an easy decision when the time comes. If DCL has not returned to normalcy (for me, that means no restrictions on excursions, no masks, full activities offered, etc) by the time my "PIF" date occurs, I will simply seek a full refund and wait until its a better time to cruise. I'm not at all optimistic that's the case, given the CDC's 60-day timetable, but I am going to give them the next 3 months to iron that out....and I'll make a decision in late February when the time comes or sooner, if new information becomes available.

I suspect that's the healthiest approach for all of us to take. If you have a cruise, find a point of no return date (whether its your PIF date or something more arbitrary to you).....and if cruising at that time (in whatever form it may be) isn't a tenable option for you, you should seek a refund and wait until cruising returns to normal.

As I read things, practically speaking if Disney were to just leave the Magic in Europe, and wait until European season, they wouldn't need the CDC to approve, only EU authorities.

That said, it probably wouldn't do them any favors whatsoever with the CDC to get the Dream or Fantasy running the gravy train out of PC.

I was originally on a 2020 Med cruise, that (obviously) got canceled. Sometime in April, we booked a placeholder on the same 2021 cruise and that eventually become our new upcoming cruise once the 2020 cruise got canceled. The FB cruise group for the 21 cruise has basically gone zombie except for one poster (who's trying to keep the place alive, despite the fact the the rest of us are holding back). I sense we're all in a state of limbo.

My position on this cruise is simple - and it makes for an easy decision when the time comes. If DCL has not returned to normalcy (for me, that means no restrictions on excursions, no masks, full activities offered, etc) by the time my "PIF" date occurs, I will simply seek a full refund and wait until its a better time to cruise. I'm not at all optimistic that's the case, given the CDC's 60-day timetable, but I am going to give them the next 3 months to iron that out....and I'll make a decision in late February when the time comes or sooner, if new information becomes available.

I suspect that's the healthiest approach for all of us to take. If you have a cruise, find a point of no return date (whether its your PIF date or something more arbitrary to you).....and if cruising at that time (in whatever form it may be) isn't a tenable option for you, you should seek a refund and wait until cruising returns to normal.

I think we're on the same sailing - yeah that group is almost dead
I'm on the same *boat* as you... unless things improve a lot by February, we're cancellling before PIF date.. it's heartbreaking but this whole year + whatever 2021 brings, has been hell.

Carnival announced today that they have cancelled all their cruises through the end of January 2021 and some cruises through the end of February.

Carnival announced today that they have cancelled all their cruises through the end of January 2021 and some cruises through the end of February.

I think its a good indicator that more will shortly follow suit... and honestly looks like cruising from Florida in early 2021 just got more likely.

Yeah, I am also not thrilled about not having the OBB discount to apply toward 2022. Our OBB deposits all come from our Dec 2019 B2B2B so they expire Dec 2021; it would be nice if DCL extended them through 2022.... But that is probably wishful thinking.
You may be surprised. Our OBB certificates were set to expire Oct of 2021. We were able to use them for a booking in March of 2022. They told me I could use them for any sailing that was on offer through May 2022, of course that's as far out as they have for bookings so far.
For every month they don't sail there is a better and better chance that they will continue to expand the expiry date for these certificates. Fingers crossed for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter