Poll: When Will Disney Set Sail Again

When will Disney resume sailing at least one of their ships with already scheduled cruises.

• January 2021

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • February 2021

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • March 2021

Votes: 48 15.8%
  • April 2021

Votes: 45 14.9%
  • May 2021

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • June 2021

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • Later in 2021

Votes: 87 28.7%

Votes: 24 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No one should cruise if you believe people should wear masks as the New England Journal of Medicine said: "wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection." If you believe masks are important to keep you safe, then stay home. Let the rest of us live our lives in peace.

No one should cruise if you believe people should wear masks as the New England Journal of Medicine said: "wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection." If you believe masks are important to keep you safe, then stay home. Let the rest of us live our lives in peace.
Might want to fact check that.

I don't think that we actually have a say in that. It will not be the people who believe you should wear a mask who make that decision, it will be the cruise lines. It might be the people who don't want to wear a mask that will have to stay home and the rest of us will live our lives in peace.
Only time will give an answer to that though.

Also, where are you getting your NEJM information? You probably want to double check it.

Facial Masking for Covid-19 — Potential for “Variolation” as We Await a Vaccine | NEJM

That quote is taken out of context...here's a follow-up from the same researchers, also published in the New England Journal of Medicine: (I bolded, not them)
-----------------------------------------
We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4

We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.
-----------------------------------------
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836

Last edited:
Have just changed my vote to May. My new guess is that The Magic will be the first ship to restart with the 22 May 7 night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona.

Have just changed my vote to May. My new guess is that The Magic will be the first ship to restart with the 22 May 7 night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona.

I think that's a great guess. I also think DCL will start sailing in Europe before they sail out of PC or Miami.

This is so wierd, your comment is like the 10th I have read on all my social media about people believing a Covid vaccine will affect fertility??? I have read no legit medical publication stating this concern? is this some internet anti-vacc rumor going around. Can you please send me your sources as I googled today and found zero.. I dont mean this snarky but my niece also said the other day she is not getting the vaccine as she plans to have children... It baffles me wher she got this information????.
Today a Dutch newspaper article said that Pfizer is not recommended yet for pregnant women or those who breastfeed, as there is no data yet. Plus the advice not try to get pregnant within the first two months after the shots.

Like it or not, there is still demand out there. 1 million passengers passed through TSA again. A far cry from what it normally would be but it’s still 1 million people who are traveling.

Everyone has different risk tolerances and cruise lines will sail again once they get cleared and feel they can do it. There are real people who are counting on them sailing again and people who need incomes again.

We may have slowed the death rates at nursing homes but again, like it or not — statistically they’re all going to be dead before we get back to normal. There are no options that don’t hurt a lot of people.

Well-said. It truly is a double-edged sword. :(

None of the vaccines will be recommended for women currently pregnant. That is how this stuff works, consistently. Nothing is tested on pregnant ladies except in the most dire of straits.

Another article on the side effects regarding the vaccine. We will have to see what the reports look like after the vaccine starts going out more widely.

This may or may not turn in to an obstacle getting the vaccine pushed out to 60-70% of the population in the US.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/pfizer-moderna-covid-vaccine-side-effects-trials.html

Depends on how they present it. The reactions we are hearing about so far (not including new ones that will now be coming out of the UK which we'll be listening to closely) could well be from people who had the higher dose that was decided against due to reactions. We'll know more as administrations continue...

I think the question of when Disney will sail again depends on where we put the goalposts for COVID-19. They have shifted many times. If total eradication is the goal, that could take many years, even decades. Following are some salient quotes from the article linked below:

"The problem, of course, is that we’ve never eliminated an airborne virus by quarantining healthy people and there’s no scientific breakthrough that has made that any more possible now than it’s ever been...​
So again, when do masks get to come off? Can we ever return to pre-Covid life? Or is the answer contained in the term “New Normal?” That is at least until Covid-19 is eliminated, which took 25 years with a smallpox vaccine. (By the way, the polio eradication program has a target date of 2005.) That’s not a typo. And now it’s being threatened by a shift of resources to, you guessed it, Covid-19...​
As for Time’s “Worst Year Ever” cover, perhaps it’s a matter of perspective, as exemplified in the satirical term “First World Problem.” Which to a great extent is what Covid-19 is. Consider that all those comorbidities tied to higher mortality are related to the cultures of advanced societies – essentially bad diet, sedentary lifestyles, and simply living longer."​

https://www.aier.org/article/when-do-we-start-coming-out-of-the-covid-19-mass-hysteria/

Don't forget to vote. The poll closes at 10:53am tomorrow.

Cant believe there are ppl that think DCL will sail March-May... like LOL
June has 10% chance of sailing, July 20% and so on. Nov-December imo only 50% chance
2022 is the safest bet.

Last edited:
Cant believe there are ppl that think DCL will sail March-May... like LOL
June has 10% chance of sailing, July 20% and so on. Nov-December imo only 50% chance
2022 is the safest bet.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to believe that DCL will sail by the summertime. Many of us may be wishful thinking, while others may think that the vaccine is drastically going to improve/change the CDC cruise guidelines/restrictions. The truth is that no one knows for sure, except maybe some DCL execs, at some point later on.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to believe that DCL will sail by the summertime. Many of us may be wishful thinking, while others may think that the vaccine is drastically going to improve/change the CDC cruise guidelines/restrictions. The truth is that no one knows for sure, except maybe some DCL execs, at some point later on.

Not unreasonable. Just unrealistic imo, the way things are.
I'm also wishful thinking in that I HOPE DCL starts next year. We have 3 cruises booked in 2021 & will sail with any and all restrictions they mandate. I missing cruising with the mouse that much.
But in reality I just don't see how they can pull it off in 2021. Cruising, I mean.
Summertime means at least 1/3 of the population is vaccinated by March to attain some sort of herd immunity to warrant a safe(r) cruising experience. By then they call all CM's to restaff ships, barely making it for the summer.
Or, for summer sailings to happen, DCL might mandate vaccines on all cruisers. And I don't think massive amounts of ppl will be vaccinated in the summer, with 2 doses needed to apparently achieve protection vs the virus.
I mean, it's possible, but not realistic. I put it at 10%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter