It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must have served food from that window that is now covered with the Coke machine and press penny machine. I say that because I vaguely remember getting something to drink and sitting at those tables to watch the electric water pageant. We used to stay at the Fort a lot during the late 70's- early 80's. I'm sure it offered fare like hot dogs and Cokes; things very similar to the items offered at the marina of the Contemporary.

Of course, back then the beach was super crowded with swimmers! The pools weren't really that popular because it was so nice to swim in the lake. And of course, you could always visit River Country!

Great trip report, as always!!! :goodvibes
I posted this on a other thread
I know there has been talk about and I see it in the Gazette about a beach snack bar. Well after talking to my wife she remembers that snack bar and yes it was in the building where you rent the boats. Disney must have closed is sometime after they stopped letting people swim in the lake because there were less people going to the beach

Okay...I have to respond to the "temporary" out of order sign on the Dole Whip processor. I work in a cafeteria that our deli area serves soft serve ice cream in. The reason the machine may be "out of order" is that it needs cleaning inside which involves having someone who is responsible (no one WANTS that task..messy) to break down the components, clean the goop inside, and reassemble. If there is only one person trained and available to do that it could be a few days for that process to happen. But there is nothing like a fresh machine that gives out just churned soft serve.
Just my two cents...

"Here on this corner of the island, there are buoys in the water. I guess they are there to keep the folks who rent recreational boats from getting too close to the island:"
FW610457.jpg

If I recall correctly from our trips out on the pontoon boat, this is an area where it is quite shallow and where there is a pipe that runs out into the lake from somewhere on shore. The rope and buoys are there as a warning. I remember thinking one time how this would sure mess up a boat it the driver ever ventured inside the ropes. They used to be set out nice and neat like a swimming area, but on another later trip the ropes were all in disarray (as they are in this photo) giving me to believe someone drove across them. :rolleyes1

Okay...I have to respond to the "temporary" out of order sign on the Dole Whip processor. I work in a cafeteria that our deli area serves soft serve ice cream in. The reason the machine may be "out of order" is that it needs cleaning inside which involves having someone who is responsible (no one WANTS that task..messy) to break down the components, clean the goop inside, and reassemble. If there is only one person trained and available to do that it could be a few days for that process to happen. But there is nothing like a fresh machine that gives out just churned soft serve.
Just my two cents...

I second that. I was one of those lucky, responsible people at my first job. Oh, the joys of cleaning out the "puke tray" after it had been neglected for a couple of days while I was off... :headache:

I know there has been talk about and I see it in the Gazette about a beach snack bar. Well after talking to my wife she remembers that snack bar and yes it was in the building where you rent the boats. Disney must have closed is sometime after they stopped letting people swim in the lake because there were less people going to the beach

Yes, I remember it too. I think KFD was too frugal to get us anything from there though. We ate before we went swimming (at least 1 hour so we didn't get cramps and drown) and KFM took our own snacks! As it still remains to this day. :laughing:

You're right DC. This was discussed before, but you should have known that TCD would have to do his own full scale invesigative report before it could be deemed "official". :lmao: (sorry TDC...couldn't resist a cheap shot.)

I am especially glad you found the site of the Marshmallow Marsh singalong and marshmallow roast and have solved the mystery of the scene to the right of the cowboys butt!

The mystery of the Cowboy's butt?

This doesn't sound like something I want to know more about.

Is it an old Hardy Boys book?

Never mind.

Let's just leave this one alone.

I am learning so many new things about the Fort. Thank you so much.:thumbsup2

Hey, you're welcome.

I learn new things about the Fort every time I visit, and from lots of the good folks who post here on the Disboards.

TCD - Your report is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am loving every bit of it :goodvibes

Heres a question - Does the s'more kit on the sign say $6.99 - What is in this kit? Like marshmallow, chocolate & graham crackers? I'm sorry, but I am cheap. That seems like a lot. Do they care if you bring your own s'mores stuff to the campfire? Or do you have to buy the kit? And I wonder how many s'mores it can make, anyway....

$6.99?

Are you kidding?

This is Disney!

The August 2009 price for the Smore's kit was $9.50.

And, the June 2010 price is $8.99.

To add to the confusion, the 2009 price included tax, while the 2010 price does not.

The Smore's kit consists of one sleeve of graham crackers (you know, when you open the box, there are like three (or is it four) wrapped stacks of crackers-it's one stack), a ziplock bag of Marshmallows (like an extra large sandwich bag), and two Hersheys Bars. I guess this will make about ten or twelve Smore's. And here's something that will warm the heart of the beancounters out there: the Smore's kit used to include two sticks. Now, you apparently have to lay out more jack if you want sticks- which are a kind of necessity for the whole Smore experience.

Yes, you can bring your own Smore's stuff. And, I suggest you do.

While I am on the subject, WDW does some funny thing with sales tax. In Florida, if I go to the grocery store and buy a dozen eggs or loaf of bread, or newspaper for that matter, I am not charged sales tax. But, if you buy any of those items in one of the trading posts, they charge you tax. What is up with that? It's cheaper to buy a newspaper from a vending machine than to buy one in the trading post.

popcorn:: TCD thanks SO much for a great trip report. The pics and facts kept me glued to the computer until I got through the complete thread..unfortunately my hand is totally cramped up from sitting here with the mouse pad:rotfl:. Anyway, keep up the great work. Your efforts are very much appreciated from all of us fiends! :cheer2:

Your hand is cramped?

Good job!

Well done!

Yes, you can bring your own s'mores stuff to the campfire.

Agreed. See above.

Also BYOB;)

Most def.

Do not miss the beer prices!

I think I would rather purchase the bowl 'from' the cashier. I don't think the cashier is going to contribute to the purchase.

BTW... you used to be able to climb about on the ship wreck way back before the ship became an insurance liability.

These were taken in 1977.

Yes, I love the Disney terminology.

I should have mentioned that when I purchased the bowl, I offered to go half-sies with the clerk. I told her if she paid for half the purchase, I would let her have half the ice cream. After a very long discussion, she would not agree to pay for any part of my purchase. I pointed out that the sign said I had to buy the bowl with her. Apparently, there is a misprint on the sign, because she didn't take me up on any of my reasonable offers. It is just as well, though, because I liked having the bowl to myself.

I LOVE those Discovery Island photos!

This boat was quite the subject of discussion on KFK's Ignore This Thread. Have you seen it? I think I am going to post your photos over there. Folks will love them!

Looking in the background of your photos, I see what looks like a beach, which I am thinking may be in the area of where Wilderness Lodge stands today. And, looking toward Fort Wilderness, I see what looks like water shooting up from fountains in the lake. It seems like this would be near the area of River Country. I never saw water shooting up from that area before.

Interesting. :confused3

We hit the Dole Whip machine on 6/17, so definitely temporary. :)

Well, that is good to know.

I am glad it was temporary!

They must have served food from that window that is now covered with the Coke machine and press penny machine. I say that because I vaguely remember getting something to drink and sitting at those tables to watch the electric water pageant. We used to stay at the Fort a lot during the late 70's- early 80's. I'm sure it offered fare like hot dogs and Cokes; things very similar to the items offered at the marina of the Contemporary.

Of course, back then the beach was super crowded with swimmers! The pools weren't really that popular because it was so nice to swim in the lake. And of course, you could always visit River Country!

Great trip report, as always!!! :goodvibes

Thanks for that confirmation! It sure does look like a perfect place to sell food and drinks.

Actually the pools weren't that popular in the 70s and early 80s because there were no pools at the FW unless you payed to go in to River Country. You could pool hop (there was a lot that used to be allowed back then) to the CR which was just a blah rectangular pool or over to the Poly for the only pool on property that had a slide.

I didn't know the Contemporary did not have a slide at its pool when it opened. I always assumed it did. The Poly had a real nice slide.

Thanks for the confirmation, Todd. I would be nice to have this option today, but I understand that now most folks are just passing through.

Just my two cents...

Wow, who knew?

"Here on this corner of the island, there are buoys in the water. I guess they are there to keep the folks who rent recreational boats from getting too close to the island:"
FW610457.jpg

If I recall correctly from our trips out on the pontoon boat, this is an area where it is quite shallow and where there is a pipe that runs out into the lake from somewhere on shore. The rope and buoys are there as a warning. I remember thinking one time how this would sure mess up a boat it the driver ever ventured inside the ropes. They used to be set out nice and neat like a swimming area, but on another later trip the ropes were all in disarray (as they are in this photo) giving me to believe someone drove across them. :rolleyes1

Hmmm.

Good info to know.

Not that I am conducting surveillance of Discovery Island for any reason.

;)

I second that. I was one of those lucky, responsible people at my first job. Oh, the joys of cleaning out the "puke tray" after it had been neglected for a couple of days while I was off... :headache:

Puke tray?

Yikes! :scared1:

My sister worked at an ice cream shop when she was in high school. When she was visiting one time with her kids, she showed us all how to properly dispense a Dole Whip at the Poly- she just kept the bowl going around and around, and ended up with a huge, perfectly symmetrical mountain of Dole Whip. My DD's have perfected Aunt TCD's techniques, and we get our money's worth from the Dole Whip machine. That is why I was worried that perhaps it was being taken away.

TCD

Yes, I remember it too. I think KFD was too frugal to get us anything from there though. We ate before we went swimming (at least 1 hour so we didn't get cramps and drown) and KFM took our own snacks! As it still remains to this day. :laughing:

You're right DC. This was discussed before, but you should have known that TCD would have to do his own full scale invesigative report before it could be deemed "official". :lmao: (sorry TDC...couldn't resist a cheap shot.)

Well, it's true. Someone has to maintain the integrity of the investigations conducted via this Board. So, nothing is official until TCD says so. ;)

And while I'm posting, Shafke, if you read this, this is the part of your photo that I was referring to- you see the red circle? What the heck is that?

DI2-1.jpg

TCD

they almost look like sun fish sails... :confused3

Yes, they do!

That probably is our answer.

Like this! Me and my Dad at Fort Wilderness in August of 1983.

2010_05_10_16_53_49.jpg

That's a great photo!

Thanks for sharing.

In other photos that I have seen, the sails were multi-colored, like this one.

That is the one thing that gives me pause about the sail theory- those objects in the photo in question are not multi-colored.

:confused3

TCD

Yes, they do!

That probably is our answer.

That's a great photo!

Thanks for sharing.

In other photos that I have seen, the sails were multi-colored, like this one.

That is the one thing that gives me pause about the sail theory- those objects in the photo in question are not multi-colored.

:confused3

TCD

My guess, the colored sails fade, the white sails, well can't fade so don't look "old" as fast.

Well, it seems as if we have gone off on a bit of a tangent.

How did that happen?

Let's get back on track here.

These next photos are from Sunday night, June 13th.

We left the Fort on Monday the 14th.

So, sadly, that means we are approaching the end of this little report.

But, we're not quite there yet.

On Sunday night, June 13th, we decided to watch the EWP and Fireworks from the lakefront behind the 300 loop.

It has been a while since we have watched either the EWP or fireworks from this vantage point.

I have a friend who insists that this is the best place from which to view the fireworks.

He drives his golf cart down there, and watches the fireworks right from his cart.

The only problem with this is that there are several no electric cart signs right outside the 300 loop access to this area.

But, my friend Brian still exclusively stands guard at Clementine's Beach.

Which means no one guards the 300 loop access.

I'm just sayin'

Anyway, here we are at the edge of the lake to watch the EWP:

FW610488.jpg

FW610493.jpg

I must say that the EWP and fireworks schedule for this weekend was quite convenient for us campers.

The EWP, as always, was at 9:45.

And, then the fireworks were at 10.

Perfect.

We were the only ones there to watch the EWP.

But, as soon as the last strains of Yankee Doodle Dandy echoed off of the lake, we hear someone or something approaching. We heard many voices, and an odd creaking sound.

It was the hayride!

Minus the hay!

I guess it's just a wagon ride.

Well, whatever you call it, this big wagon full of people, pulled by two huge horses, approached, and pulled right in front of us.

The driver said hello, and welcomed us to come stand in front of the wagon.

So we did.

And then the fireworks began!

As I mentioned earlier, the Summer Nightastic fireworks involve fireworks shot up high in the sky, and then some that are just shot off around the castle. You can't see these lower fireworks from the Fort beach. But, here, we can see the castle, so logic would dictate that we will be able to see all of the fireworks.

Oh, I should mention one more thing before we look at the photos.

There was no audio for the fireworks here.

None.

At least not on Sunday June 13th.

There have been innumerable reports from people saying that the audio accompaniment is provided for the fireworks on the wagon ride. Some say that a truck with a speaker parks there. Some say there is a speaker in the window of the little cabin across the canal here. Fort Wilderness Guy once confessed that it was just him hiding in the bushes imitating Jiminy Cricket. But I am telling you there was no audio here on this night.

And that diminished the experience.

Especially since there was a particularly loud guest on the wagon interrogating the driver about the campground, and asking how anyone could possibly be camping here in the summer heat. The driver offered that he had once seen a tent with an air conditioner hooked up to it. The loud guest was amazed. And so it went. I love a good inane conversation. If they only knew. But I digress. Again.

Here are the fireworks photos:

FW610495.jpg

In the photo above, you can see Space Mountain, and the castle. It is interesting to see how far the fireworks are actually shot off from the park. When you are there, it seems like they are right overhead, but they really aren't.

Here we can see some of the lower level fireworks being shot off around the castle, both in front of and behind the castle:

FW610499.jpg

FW610504.jpg

FW610526.jpg

When you see these lower level fireworks in the MK, they are impressive.

Not so much from this far away.

The one thing that you can see from this vantage point, is that there is quite a bit of distance between the fireworks. From the park, and from the Fort beach, for that matter, it seems like the fireworks are all very close to each other:

FW610538.jpg

FW610542.jpg

I think the view of the big finale is good from this point:

FW610546.jpg

FW610565.jpg

FW610567.jpg

When the wagon brought these folks back, they were dropped off right in front of Crockett's Tavern, and the wagon headed back to the barn from there:

FW610575.jpg

After having seen the fireworks from Clementine's Beach and then from behind the 300 loop, I would say that Clementine's Beach is definitely the better location. True, you can't see the lower level fireworks, but they are so far away that they really aren't very impressive from behind the 300 loop. Plus, if they aren't providing audio back behind the 300 loop, then you most definitely would want to stick to the beach.

So that's my $.02 about the fireworks.

Next up- photos from Monday morning.

And a preview of the next mystery TCD will be solving.

TCD

Well, it's true. Someone has to maintain the integrity of the investigations conducted via this Board. So, nothing is official until TCD says so. ;)

And while I'm posting, Shafke, if you read this, this is the part of your photo that I was referring to- you see the red circle? What the heck is that?

DI2-1.jpg

TCD

Looking a satellite images of DI the and where it looks like the ship wreck is I thing that the area circled is towards the FW marina. If I had to guess I would say they are sailboats. These pictures were scanned from 110 slides. This is the full size of that area. Notice the flag on the launch that was passing... thar be pirates in these waters.

Looking a satellite images of DI the and where it looks like the ship wreck is I thing that the area circled is towards the FW marina. If I had to guess I would say they are sailboats. These pictures were scanned from 110 slides. This is the full size of that area. Notice the flag on the launch that was passing... thar be pirates in these waters.

Well. here I go on another tangent, but thanks for the close-up shot!

I didn't notice the pirate flag.

I wonder what this was all about?

I did notice that there are two boats in your photo, both of which appear to be heading to the Fort. This doesn't usually happen- they are usually spaced apart. Does the other boat have a pirate flag?

It looks like there are a bunch of people standing on the beach next to what do, indeed look like sailboats. I wonder what they are all doing there?

And, Shafke, could you post a close up of the bow of the shipwreck- where the pole is lashed on there? This is actually a part of the shipwreck which was discussed on KFK's thread, and your photo could help resolve some issues that have arisen there.

Thanks!

TCD

We are getting close to the end now.

Maybe just two more batches of photos.

On Monday morning, June 14th, this water truck was driving out of the Meadow recreation area and heading toward the Settlement:

FW610577.jpg

Zephyrhills Water used to have a deal with WDW.

But, it's been a while since then.

Now it's Disani.

Except, apparently, no one told this Zephyrhills guy.

Hmmmm.

I said that I was going to give you a preview of the next mystery to be solved by TCD.

This one has perplexed me for a while.

There is a building adjacent to the Trail's End/Crockett's Tavern building. It faces Bay Lake.

This is the one that I'm talking about:

FW610578.jpg

You can see it has an entry door, and windows, and a nice porch.

Here's a little closer look:

FW610579.jpg

And a better look at the porch:

FW610580.jpg

You cannot see in the windows:

FW610581.jpg

If you look around the side, you can see that there is a dumpster right next to it (you can see the depth of the building here):

FW610583.jpg

There is some equipment back here, too:

FW610584.jpg

This is the back of the Pioneer Hall complex. This is where deliveries are made. I need to look at this from a different area, as the back of this building actually could be the loading dock for the trucks that make deliveries here. Which means that this building might just be a big storeroom.

But, this building doesn't look like it was built to be a storeroom. . .

Here are the front windows again. Why put windows on a storeroom?:

FW610585.jpg

The porch actually has some nice details. Look at the wood ceiling and the log beams:

FW610586.jpg

There is clearly a walk and step leading to what appears to be an entrance door:

FW610587.jpg

So what is this building?

Pioneer Hall was actually built after Fort Wilderness had already been in operation for a few years. Was this the original location of a previous restaurant? Does anyone know? Does anyone care?

This is a mystery that will be solved.

Mark my words.

And the solving of this mystery, when it happens, will be official.

If anyone is interested in earning his or her TCD Junior Deputy Badge, here's your golden opportunity.

Moving on. . .

I noticed some survey markers over behind the 300 loop.

There's one here, in the weeds, down by the canal:

FW610588.jpg

I didn't see any others near the water:

FW610589.jpg

But, there was one over here, along the dirt road. The canal that we just looked at is to the right, if you were looking toward Bay Lake, with this survey marker on the left:

FW610590.jpg

FW610591.jpg

FW610592.jpg

Can you read the writing on there?

It says #86 WP 1848063.

The one that we saw inside the old River Country area says #116 WP 1848121.

Are these markers related?

They are pretty far apart.

Who knows?

I posted some photos a ways back showing that some type of asphalt like material was spread on the dirt road beginning behind the Settlement Trading Post. Well, here's where it ends up:

FW610593.jpg

FW610594.jpg

FW610595.jpg

This would suggest that they were expecting motor vehicle traffic here. There has been clearing completed in the canal which runs behind the 100-300 loops. But, that clearing was already about done when I visited in April, and there was no asphalt on the dirt road then. I don't know what this is about.

Maybe this is a mystery that needs solving, too.

I made it back to the Settlement Marina on Monday morning.

I think this sign looks pretty new:

FW610596.jpg

It was a little funny (well to me anyway), that the bike racks were just past the "No Bicycles Past This Point" sign:

FW610597.jpg

Next up, some photos of the Marina area.

With no people in them.

TCD

It says #86 WP 184063.

The one that we saw inside the old River Country area says #116 WP 1848121.

Are these markers related?

They are pretty far apart.

TCD

Like I scooped for the 3000 loop - this will be the location of the Plymouth Rock and Roll Revue - exclusive ADRs given the the 3000 loop campers.:rolleyes1

TCD do they just sell Disani? Do they sell both Disani and Zephyrhills? If they just sell Disani the Zephyrhills truck might be delivering the 5gal bottles used by CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter