• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
School's out, and the TCD gang made a quick trip to the Fort.

And all you get is this lousy trip report . . .

As per usual, there will be plenty of photos . . .

And, there will be some news flashes that you will hear here first . . .

And, you will get to meet a new member of the TCD gang . . .

And, we will solve a mystery or two. . .

And, maybe take a peek at some behind-the-scenes things . . .

Shhhhh! Maybe some will even be of River Country . . .

So, buckle your seat belts, and let's get started.

First, let's look at some new activities being offered at the Fort:

FWActivities610.jpg

FWActivities610p2.jpg

Look at that! On Sundays, you can make a Mickey Tie Die shirt! And, there is an ice cream activity on Saturday. Also, note that there are charges for some of these activities. Understandable, but also new. The activities used to all be free. Also, note- no more dodgeball. :( And, look when Bingo starts now- not until 7:15 pm. And it is now outside. At the campfire area. The TCD gang checked out the ice cream activity. I even have a couple of photos of that to share.

In other news, the MK boat dock for FW has been changed. Us campers got booted, and those snobby GF people now have our dock. Look:

FW610655.jpg

FW610656.jpg

FW610654.jpg

Not a huge deal, but that was our dock first. Who do those GF people think they are, anyway?

I dislike.

In the preview department, I would like to introduce you to the newest member of the TCD gang:

FW610288.jpg

That's Rocky.

The new TCD pup.

He is an almost four month old boxer puppy.

He gave the Fort two paws up.

Not to worry, there will be more Rocky photos a bit later.

In the foreshadowing department . . .

The two or three of you who read the last TCD TR may remember that there was some discussion about what looked like some kind of blue tanks which were installed in the old River Country area. They can be seen looking over the fence in the area which is open. Well, using some new technology, I have a clearer shot of those tanks. Here you go:

FW610176.jpg

So, I can now confirm that those are in fact blue tanks.

There will be some more River Country pics.

So, be sure to check back.

TCD

TCD, your were totally busted the day after you left! :lmao: sshudson99 was happy to meet you! You're going to have to wear a disguise or something if you want to keep a secret from us! Love the newest family member!

Ok, seatbelts are properly fastened and I am ready for takeoff.

And let me just say, that news about the change in resort launch dock SU*KS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet someone named Chauncy complained about them having to walk 20 steps further than those campground folks. I am officially boycotting Disney over this!

TCD,
Just curious about the movement of the FW boat launch at MK. Does that mean that only the smaller boats go to the Fort now or does the bigger enclosed boat dock at the new location?

Ok, moving the dock stinks big time. It looks like we have also been booted to a smaller launch rather than a cruiser, is that right? Wonder how that works out ADA wise since the boat is the only direct way from the Fort to MK and the cruisers are not wheelchair accessible, maybe we will get a direct bus?

Can't wait for the trip report.

Yay! I love the TCD reports! :banana::banana:

When we were there a few weeks ago, we only had to ride one of the smaller boats once. They were still using the bigger boats and they were ADA accessible as there were several in wheelchairs or scooters on board.

Dumby me did get on the wrong boat dock the first night when leaving Magic Kingdom...I had no idea that they moved the boat dock. We stood in line forever in the line that was going to Wilderness Lodge.

TCD, your were totally busted the day after you left! :lmao: sshudson99 was happy to meet you! You're going to have to wear a disguise or something if you want to keep a secret from us! Love the newest family member!

Yes, I did meet sshudson99! And her DH and son, too. Very nice folks. It is getting harder and harder for TCD to keep his Fort adventures on the DL. I also stopped by Disboard member Sinclaire's site to say hello. His dad was there, but no Sinclaire. They had a pretty cool Mickey lampost at their site on the 2000 loop.

Ok, seatbelts are properly fastened and I am ready for takeoff.

And let me just say, that news about the change in resort launch dock SU*KS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet someone named Chauncy complained about them having to walk 20 steps further than those campground folks. I am officially boycotting Disney over this!

Yeah. I don't get why we got bumped. One theory is that the WL people were always trying to get on FW the FW boat. Maybe this keeps it less confusing. But, the old Poly and GF dock is closer to those resorts.

It really isn't that big a deal.

Good luck with the boycott. The TCD boycott of 2010 resulted in exactly nothing. But, it's probably because I keep cheating on the boycott.

TCD,
Just curious about the movement of the FW boat launch at MK. Does that mean that only the smaller boats go to the Fort now or does the bigger enclosed boat dock at the new location?

It seems like they are using both sized boats. We rode over to the MK on a small boat on Monday afternoon.

Ok, moving the dock stinks big time. It looks like we have also been booted to a smaller launch rather than a cruiser, is that right? Wonder how that works out ADA wise since the boat is the only direct way from the Fort to MK and the cruisers are not wheelchair accessible, maybe we will get a direct bus?

Can't wait for the trip report.

As stated above, I saw them still using the big boats for the Fort, but they are using the small ones too. I guess wheelchair folks have to wait for a big boat?

TCD

I noticed the boat dock switch when we were there for our anniversary trip. Friday the 28th and Saturday the 29th, we arrived and departed from the main dock. Sunday, we drove ourselves and rode the monorail from TTC. While walking down the monorail path, I noticed the Fort boat had been moved to the side dock. I didn't ever see a boat there though so I can't comment on the size or type of boat.

It could be based on seasonal crowd levels. The suits may figure more people are staying at GF vs FW and need a larger waiting area for the boat.

TCD,

no, both boats go to the new location...I have been on both boats at the new location

I also dislike in addition to TCD.:headache:

Also, TCD did not mention that ALL boats now have the puny whistle that the little boats have. I thank my very observant (and rain man like) son for noticing. When my son was pestering the boat captain about this, it was explained that campers complained that the whistles were too loud on the larger vessels and were keeping them up, so now they all have the same whistles. The problem is now the captains can't hear each other on the larger boats. I cry bad form. This is from someone who has been raised around larger boats. They have to hear each other, especially at night.

I'm in! popcorn::

And I must say, when I was there May 22-30, the boats were still in the same place. So this is a very, new occurrence. Why do us campers get the "shaft"? :confused3

Yes, I did meet sshudson99! And her DH and son, too. Very nice folks. It is getting harder and harder for TCD to keep his Fort adventures on the DL. I also stopped by Disboard member Sinclaire's site to say hello. His dad was there, but no Sinclaire. They had a pretty cool Mickey lampost at their site on the 2000 loop.

Yeah. I don't get why we got bumped. One theory is that the WL people were always trying to get on FW the FW boat. Maybe this keeps it less confusing. But, the old Poly and GF dock is closer to those resorts.

It really isn't that big a deal.

Good luck with the boycott. The TCD boycott of 2010 resulted in exactly nothing. But, it's probably because I keep cheating on the boycott.

It seems like they are using both sized boats. We rode over to the MK on a small boat on Monday afternoon.

As stated above, I saw them still using the big boats for the Fort, but they are using the small ones too. I guess wheelchair folks have to wait for a big boat?

TCD
And having to wait would not be equal access, so if someone has to wait(in the heat, rain ect) for a cruiser to make a round trip while others just get on the launch Disney could have some problems. Disney can make equal access by only using cruisers on the route or providing a bus direct from FW to MK, like WL has, having to change buses at WL would again not be equal.
BTW the new addition is handsome!

OK, let's get this thing cranking.

This was another last minute trip.

As has been reported lately, there have been some discounts being offered by WDW on campsites.

I tried to get a Florida resident room-only discount, but was not able to.

I finally cracked, and booked a partial site for rack rate, which I think was about $62/night for this time of year. I booked just a few days before my planned arrival date. The day before, I was online, and checked for a Florida Resident rate, and one came up. I called CRO, and after a long call, and run-around, was told that they couldn't find that rate.

On the morning of our planned arrival, I called one more time. After asking the castmember to specifically check for a room-only Florida resident rate, I scored a discount of $10 per night. Hardly worth the effort, but I felt a moral victory.

We arrived at the Fort at about noon on Friday, June 11. We were assigned to site 1512. I have never been this far around on the 1500 loop. This site was great. Very deep and very private. I am glad that I have a pop-up camper, and can stay on the 1500 loop. So far, so good.

As you may have heard, the heat has been brutal in Florida of late.

It was well into the 90's on Friday afternoon.

Last summer, when the TCD gang visited Typhoon Lagoon (or Typhone Lagone, as some of you like to call it), we upgraded our one day tickets to after 2 pm Florida Resident Annual Water Park passes. I think it cost us $15 per ticket for the upgrade. This upgrade allows us admission for one year to both Water Parks, after 2 pm. We haven't really used these very much, but we sure did on this trip.

So, after setting up on Friday, it was off to Blizzard Beach! That was a good choice. It was still pretty crowded there late in the afternoon, so we only stayed for about an hour (one of the perks of an annual pass- you do not feel obligated to stay), and headed back to the Fort.

On the way to Blizzard Beach, I got a few picks of the new kennel construction. Here's how things looked on June 11, 2010:

FW610002.jpg

FW610003.jpg

FW610004.jpg

FW610005.jpg

FW610006.jpg

FW610007.jpg

FW610008.jpg

It looks like the roof is on the main buildings, and that they are working on the HVAC. They still have a long way to go. I believe at one point this was being advertised as opening in the Summer 2010. I am not sure if that is going to happen.

Since it was so hot out when I set up, I decided not to strain my camper's AC while we were gone. The AC usually does a good job of cooling down the camper quickly, so I just left it off. I have a little Brookstone Indoor/Outdoor thermometer that I keep in the camper to monitor things. Here is what we arrived back to in the late afternoon on Friday:

FW610010.jpg

I told you it was hot!

But, we are blessed to have AC, and before long, things were a lot more comfortable for us.

We usually avoid the Fort in the summer, because of the heat and bugs, but it sure does look nice to see everything green and growing:

FW610001.jpg

FW610009.jpg

FW610011.jpg

FW610012.jpg

Once back at the Fort, it was time to do some exploring.

Since there have been more River Country rumors springing up lately, that was one of my first stops.

Truthfully, it doesn't look like a thing has happened there since the removal of the boardwalk. Here are your basic through the fence shots. This is the old picnic area:

FW610013.jpg

FW610014.jpg

FW610015.jpg

FW610016.jpg

FW610017.jpg

FW610018.jpg

FW610019.jpg

FW610020.jpg

FW610021.jpg

FW610022.jpg

FW610023.jpg

We will be back here later.

Next, it was off to take a look at my favorite premium site.

Stop complaining.

It wouldn't be a TCD trip report if we didn't go and take a look at site 617, now would it?

TCD

And having to wait would not be equal access, so if someone has to wait(in the heat, rain ect) for a cruiser to make a round trip while others just get on the launch Disney could have some problems. Disney can make equal access by only using cruisers on the route or providing a bus direct from FW to MK, like WL has, having to change buses at WL would again not be equal.

Not wishing to get into the ambiguity of the ADA, but equal access does not mean that disabled individuals have to be able to get on every boat in this case. By providing a boat with wheelchair accessability, they have met the requirements of the ADA. I have studied the law at length and don't wish this to get into a discussion on this, just pointing out that they are meeting their requirements. Take a look at the various rides and attractions around WDW - wheelchair access is not provided on every ride vehicle, for example.

I'm in! Can't wait to read yours as I share mine too! We just got back from a 10 day trip yesterday! I was so sad to leave home, we stayed at site 2003, and drove around a few times and saw NO lime green Mickey heads, though we had them painted on our minivan, we did see the lamppost near the CS and wondered if that was someone from here...but I didn't want to go up and ask, now that I think about it I should have! Okay, must get back to writing my paper! :thumbsup2

Also, TCD did not mention that ALL boats now have the puny whistle that the little boats have. I thank my very observant (and rain man like) son for noticing. When my son was pestering the boat captain about this, it was explained that campers complained that the whistles were too loud on the larger vessels and were keeping them up, so now they all have the same whistles. The problem is now the captains can't hear each other on the larger boats. I cry bad form. This is from someone who has been raised around larger boats. They have to hear each other, especially at night.

I didn't notice the puny whistle- but that stinks, too! Who complained about the loud whistle? One of my favorite sounds at the Fort is hearing those whistles reverberate through the campground! Boo Disney!

I see your point. But isn't it also true that a wheelchair guest does not have equal access to the Contemporary Resort for the same reason? They have been using the small launches for the resorts for years.

TCD

Not wishing to get into the ambiguity of the ADA, but equal access does not mean that disabled individuals have to be able to get on every boat in this case. By providing a boat with wheelchair accessability, they have met the requirements of the ADA. I have studied the law at length and don't wish this to get into a discussion on this, just pointing out that they are meeting their requirements. Take a look at the various rides and attractions around WDW - wheelchair access is not provided on every ride vehicle, for example.

Also, the large cruiser/small launch thing is just temporary. One of the large cruisers is out for refurbishment. Has been for months. The dock thing may be temporary also as I was thinking some of the docks are under refurbishment. One of our semi-regular posters who is a boat driver told us about all this months ago.

Hey! What were your exact dates? I was two sites down at 1510 from June 6-11!!

Looks like you just missed a chance to meet TCD! As stated above, we arrived at around noon on June 11.

I am pretty sure that you were already gone when we arrived, because I am pretty sure I would have remembered two young female campers wearing Groucho glasses (you are doing a good job on your TR!).

TCD

Also, the large cruiser/small launch thing is just temporary. One of the large cruisers is out for refurbishment. Has been for months. The dock thing may be temporary also as I was thinking some of the docks are under refurbishment. One of our semi-regular posters who is a boat driver told us about all this months ago.

Thanks Carol, I missed the news about one of the larger boats being out.

This probably is temporary, then.

And, it really is not that big a deal (except for the accessibility issue), the new MK dock is not that much further to walk, and the deluxe resort folks have always had to use the puny boats.

And remember, it wasn't that long ago when FW folks didn't even have a direct boat to the MK- we had to share with WL- so the trips used to always be longer.

TCD

I didn't notice the puny whistle- but that stinks, too! Who complained about the loud whistle? One of my favorite sounds at the Fort is hearing those whistles reverberate through the campground! Boo Disney!

I see your point. But isn't it also true that a wheelchair guest does not have equal access to the Contemporary Resort for the same reason? They have been using the small launches for the resorts for years.

TCD
Since most resorts don't have direct resort to resort access, having to make a change at a park would be equal.

Now, no more from me about this, I want to see the trip report. The news about the horns is sad, can they still be heard throughout the campground, I love that sound in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter