• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is not true I like brian he came by my site very night to talk. Who is going to keep me off the beach on my cart

Agreed.

I am on Team Brian too.

He is a good-natured fellow.

Even when he is chasing me.

I actually behave myself around him, because he's such a nice guy.

I wonder of when they built Pioneer Hall in 1973-74 if they didn’t just build it for future expansion maybe a saloon or a bigger restaurant.

See?

That's good!

That's how this mystery will be solved.

We have to throw around some ideas, and then start checking them out.

As for this particular idea- I don't know. This building seems older, and not as nice, as Pioneer Hall. To me it seems like it was here first. I would figure that they knew Pioneer Hall would be built eventually, so this was built first as a temporary restaurant venue until Pioneer Hall came along. But, that's just my guess. It's not any more valid than DisCamper's.

Someone should ask Ken at Trail's End about this building.

Or Josephine.

She allegedly used to ride the train to work. So that would help us go back a few years.

I'll bet there's someone reading this thread who might know something.

This mystery will be solved.

TCD

We really are getting near the end of this report.

But, we are still not quite there yet.

On Monday morning, June 14, I was the only person at the Marina.

Sunday night was an EMH night at the MK. The MK was open until 3 am! So, nobody is up for an early start on Monday morning.

Except for TCD!

I took another good look at the Fort Wilderness Marina building:

FW610598.jpg

FW610599.jpg

FW610600.jpg

It's kind of mind boggling for me sometimes to contemplate what used to be here. People used to swim in the lake here. They used to step up to this building and buy snacks and drinks. There were no pools at the Fort, so folks probably hung out here all day. It's really hard to imagine. I'm sure thousands of people have walked right past this building, and have no idea of its history.

And the Settlement Trading Post:

FW610603.jpg

I don't know why, but I really enjoy coming down to the Marina early in the morning, and being the only person there. As the day goes on, hundreds of people, maybe even thousands, will pass by here, well into the night, but on this morning it's just me.

There are a few folks way over on the porch of Crockett's Tavern, but I can't hear them from here:

FW610604.jpg

FW610609.jpg

FW610611.jpg

Of course, moments of solitude at WDW are hard to come by. And, sure enough, my peace and quiet was soon disturbed by an intruder. Here he is:

FW610612.jpg

Do you see him?

Right there on the fence next to the Lawnmower Tree?

How about now?:

FW610613.jpg

Look, now he is on the sign:

FW610614.jpg

Although these photos may look like it was a peaceful morning here at the Settlement, that actually isn't true. There actually was a lot going on around here, from grass being mowed, to pest control operators spraying, to landscapers watering, etc. Early mornings are when a lot of the maintenance work for the Fort gets done. It has to be done sometime, and this obviously is when it can be done in the least disruptive manner for guests.

Here is a tractor with a water tank heading off to who knows where:

FW610615.jpg

I actually do wonder where this guy was going. There are sprinklers for irrigation everywhere around the Fort. And there is certainly water available for whatever purpose is needed on all of the loops-even the cabin loops. So, just where was this guy headed? And why? Do you think it had something to do with those blue tanks?

Here's an interesting photo . . .

Check out this guy:

FW610616.jpg

FW610617.jpg

He was parked out front on Monday morning.

Just past the check in lanes.

His truck is facing toward the check-in lanes.

He spent the night there.

This guy would have been a candidate for a TCD Real Man of Genius Award, but by Monday morning, the nominations had closed.

So, this is what I know about this . . .

On Sunday night, as we were heading out to the back of the 300 loop to watch the EWP and Fireworks (you already saw the photos), we came across this guy in the 300 loop. He was trying to back into one of the first few outside sites. The ones that back up to the canal. Things are pretty tight there on that stretch of the 300 loop. Even though this guy seems to know what he's doing, there just was no way that trailer was going into that site. When we checked back later in the evening, we saw the site was still empty, and figured the guy had given up, and was given a different site. But here he was on Monday morning. I'm not sure what happened here, as there were open sites on other loops. Later, we saw the truck without the trailer in the overflow lot, so this guy must have gotten the trailer in somewhere.

Speaking of tight loops.

I have a few more photos of the 1900 loop.

These show how the 1900 loop has been widened.

But, at the expense of loosing some of the use-able space on the concrete pads. I don't think that this was a very good idea:

FW610618.jpg

FW610619.jpg

FW610620.jpg

Those one or two of you who may have read my April, 2010 trip report may remember the Mystery of the Lazy Days Fifth Wheel. Well, that trailer is still sitting in the exact same spot on the 900 loop:

FW610621.jpg

Here are a few shots taken from the porch at Crockett's Tavern. Notice all the nice flowers:

FW610622.jpg

FW610623.jpg

The Crepe Myrtle trees in this area are just starting to bloom. In November and December, this is the site of a big Christmas tree, and these trees are usually bare:

FW610624.jpg

I need a photo of those trees in full bloom.

Sounds like a good reason for another visit.

I reckon that's enough photos for this post.

Next up . . .

We will look at the new Trail's End take out menu . . .

And then, maybe one more batch of photos.

It looks like we are going to make it.

Thanks for reading along.

TCD

TCD I wonder if they stop people from going to their sites after a certain time. I like getting up early and ride around on the cart almost every day there would be 1-6 RV’s set up just inside the check in lane

TCD I wonder if they stop people from going to their sites after a certain time. I like getting up early and ride around on the cart almost every day there would be 1-6 RV’s set up just inside the check in lane

I have always heard that as long as you are paying for the night, you can set up on your site whenever you want to. I know on one trip, because of some unexpected delays, we didn't arrive until sometime around midnight. And we were allowed to go to our site and set up (quietly).

But, I have seen others spend the night in this spot, too.

I know this guy with the big truck and 5th wheel was trying to get into his site around 9:45 pm on Sunday night, so I think he would have had time to move to another site.

I believe someone here on the Disboards (I think AuburnJen) had to spend the night in the overflow lot once because of some type of screw-up. If it were me, I'd rather be set up in the spot where this guy was.

TCD

I've pulled into my site at 2am before.

Before wrapping this report up with some final photos, I wanted to take a moment to look at the new Trail's End take-out menu.

I already made a separate post with a paper copy of the menu, showing that they are now accepting the Disney Dining Plan for take out.

The menu posted outside lists the new menu items (Pulled Pork Sandwich and Chicken Caesar Salad), but does not mention the Dining Plan:

FW610625.jpg

This is the menu as it existed in September, 2009:

92909111.jpg

You may notice, and I have mentioned elsewhere, that Cowboy Beans are not listed on the new menu. But, they are still available. Is this a mystery?

The Mystery of the Cowboy's Beans?

No.

Not going there.

Also, the new menu lists snacks and desserts.

These have been added courtesy of the Disney Dining Plan.

I am worried about my GAG (that's the abbreviation for Giddyap And Go). Notice that the all white meat option for the GAG is no longer listed. But it, too is available. It's like they're getting ready to drop the GAG.

And, if they do, that would mean you would have to buy five LR's to equal one GAG.

You don't have to be a beancounter to figure out that won't be a pretty sight.:scared1:

TCD

I can tell you when we had MH we show up at 4or5am and would sleep in over flow on the generator until we checked in

TCD- about your marina/beach thread, yes there were always HUNDREDS of people on the beach every day in the 70's. I don't remember buying food from the marina, I was more interested in swimming! They had a floating platform that, in the mind of a 5-7 year old, seemed MILES out in the water, and I can remember wondering every time I went out, if I could make it back without drowning! If I remember right, my last swimming at the beach was about 1995, which was VERY traumatic!! No....I didn't get any flash eating bacteria, but there was a nice man there with his children, who looked like he could be Italian (nice olive skin, with BLACK HAIR) who decided WDW would be a great place to show off his bright pink SPEEDO!:confused3
Imagine a bright pink speedo, when wet............! I miss the beach and would actually welcome pink speedo man with open arms to be able to enjoy the beach like the good ole days!

TCD- about your marina/beach thread, yes there were always HUNDREDS of people on the beach every day in the 70's. I don't remember buying food from the marina, I was more interested in swimming! They had a floating platform that, in the mind of a 5-7 year old, seemed MILES out in the water, and I can remember wondering every time I went out, if I could make it back without drowning! If I remember right, my last swimming at the beach was about 1995, which was VERY traumatic!! No....I didn't get any flash eating bacteria, but there was a nice man there with his children, who looked like he could be Italian (nice olive skin, with BLACK HAIR) who decided WDW would be a great place to show off his bright pink SPEEDO!:confused3
Imagine a bright pink speedo, when wet............! I miss the beach and would actually welcome pink speedo man with open arms to be able to enjoy the beach like the good ole days!

If he was anything like my italian neighbor, the hair pretty much covered his whole body. Not a pretty sight!:lmao:

TCD- No....I didn't get any flash eating bacteria, but there was a nice man there with his children, who looked like he could be Italian (nice olive skin, with BLACK HAIR) who decided WDW would be a great place to show off his bright pink SPEEDO!:confused3

Would it have been less traumatic if it was lime green and he hung it on his clothes line afterwards? :rotfl2:

Loving the early morning shots - especially those showing everything in bloom. We've never been to the Fort outside of our Oct-Dec window and miss seeing everything so green and beautiful.

Maybe someday when they invent a personal air-conditioned body suit I'll venture down during the summer months. :flower3:

As for the smores.... I've already loaded a package of "special" marshmallows into the new camper. You won't find these babies at WDW...

AAAADGg5BBsAAAAAAMLWGQ.jpg

These suckers barely fit in the palm of my hand! Pretty sure I'm going to need 2 sticks... pirate:

I am worried about my GAG (that's the abbreviation for Giddyap And Go). Notice that the all white meat option for the GAG is no longer listed. But it, too is available. It's like they're getting ready to drop the GAG.
That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the new menu too. They had BETTER NOT drop the GAG. Of course, it won't really matter to me since I am boycotting Disney anyways. But just in case I ever return...

You may notice, and I have mentioned elsewhere, that Cowboy Beans are not listed on the new menu. But, they are still available. Is this a mystery?

The Mystery of the Cowboy's Beans?

It's nice to know that KFK can still get her Cowboy Butt Beans.

Would it have been less traumatic if it was lime green and he hung it on his clothes line afterwards? :rotfl2:

:lmao: Maybe green would have left a little more to the imagination.....he could have used some waxing, if you get my drift!:eek:

I can tell you when we had MH we show up at 4or5am and would sleep in over flow on the generator until we checked in

Rebel.

Imagine a bright pink speedo, when wet............!

Ummm.

I think I will pass on this offer.

Talk about GAG.

If he was anything like my italian neighbor, the hair pretty much covered his whole body. Not a pretty sight!:lmao:

If I recall correctly, you are the one with the mental floss.

May I please have some?

No.

Loving the early morning shots - especially those showing everything in bloom. We've never been to the Fort outside of our Oct-Dec window and miss seeing everything so green and beautiful.

Maybe someday when they invent a personal air-conditioned body suit I'll venture down during the summer months. :flower3:

As for the smores.... I've already loaded a package of "special" marshmallows into the new camper. You won't find these babies at WDW...

These suckers barely fit in the palm of my hand! Pretty sure I'm going to need 2 sticks... pirate:

I typically only visit in Fall and Winter, too.

I like seeing all the trees with leaves and the flowers in bloom.

I have never seen or heard of these giant marshmallows.

I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Have you ever roasted one?

If you need two sticks, I have good news.

They lowered the price on sticks!

That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the new menu too. They had BETTER NOT drop the GAG. Of course, it won't really matter to me since I am boycotting Disney anyways. But just in case I ever return...

It's nice to know that KFK can still get her Cowboy Butt Beans.

Dave- I hope you boycott lasts as long as mine (which wasn't very long at all). But, I swear, if they mess with the GAG, I am going to put on my angry eyes, and they are going to be sorry!

TCD

that is our fifth wheel in the middle of the picture, with the 2 windows in the back of it.

i was wondering if you were there the same time as us, and i saw you pull out behind my dads black dully on saturday on your golf cart, you were coming out of the 900 loop about 4:30ish, we were on our way over to the luau,

i tried to take a picture of you, but you did not keep up with the truck.

OMG - where DID you find them? I've never seen such a thing - and they appear to say gluten free right on the front, so I know I can have them! :cheer2:

I have never seen or heard of these giant marshmallows.

I am not sure if this is a good thing.

Have you ever roasted one?

If you need two sticks, I have good news.

They lowered the price on sticks!

No worries, I bought giant skewers too! :laughing:

I haven't had the courage to try roasting one of these behemoths yet. I think I may need to borrow some welding gloves to give it a try.

Hmm.. recalling one of Shan's posts about the dangers of children running around with flaming marshmallows on sticks, maybe we should sell these things to the defense dept! :rolleyes1

OMG - where DID you find them? I've never seen such a thing - and they say gluten free right on the front, so I know I can have them! :cheer2:

Demoulas/Market Basket here in NH/MA.

that is our fifth wheel in the middle of the picture, with the 2 windows in the back of it.

i was wondering if you were there the same time as us, and i saw you pull out behind my dads black dully on saturday on your golf cart, you were coming out of the 900 loop about 4:30ish, we were on our way over to the luau,

i tried to take a picture of you, but you did not keep up with the truck.

Hey, that's awesome!

How did you like that site?

It looks like you got zero shade.

I think I would like the lake view, and the location is great, but that direct sunlight all day would be a deal breaker for me.

That might not have been me.

I am sure I could have kept up with your truck.

Although I did have some minor technical problems one day.

Was I helping the cart along with one of my feet?

Kind of like Fred Flintstone?

TCD

Rebel.
If I recall correctly, you are the one with the mental floss.

May I please have some?
TCD
Here you go! ;)
mentalfloss.jpg

Don't you at least feel a little bit sorry for me??? :sad1: I have to live next door and see him working outside without a shirt on. I am not quite sure why he feels the need to do this though... With that much body hair, removing a T-shirt wouldn't make you feel much cooler and he certainly isn't going to get a tan. :confused3 The sun would never make it through all of that fur! :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter