I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad news: you're locked out for the next 30 days from
Good news: apply again after 30 days using your own name & you don't need to deal with that dba stuff
It's a basic newbie mistake so rest assured you aren't the only one. Alas, there is no fixing it. You'll have to wait for the app to be removed from their system and then put in a clean application using your name as the business name.
I want to do SW cards in Oct or Nov so not sure if I should apply in 30 days. Player 2 did the SW cards in Jan but we could probably get her something right now instead right?

I want to do SW cards in Oct or Nov so not sure if I should apply in 30 days. Player 2 did the SW cards in Jan but we could probably get her something right now instead right?
Ohhh, 3 cards in 4 months sounds a bit much to me. I am admittedly overly cautious and easily scared by Chase shutdown stories. Personally I'd hold off at least another month or two on getting her another Chase card.

Applied for my first business card (CIP) yesterday, followed flow chart, called the number and they told me I won’t be approved unless I can prove my business is registered with the state. I’m a sole proprietor and should have just put my name instead of the name of the business (now I know). So my choices are to register a dba with the state (which I don’t want to do/pay for) or reapply under my given name. If I reapply it will be another inquiry, but my credit score is excellent and I won’t need another card for about 6 months. Advice for a newbie?

I feel bad now!! I was giving you a lot of the advice and probably failed to mention to use your First Name and Last Name in the application :( Sorry!!

I would say the best option at this point is to wait the 30 days. If your wife gets another card now she would be at 3 cards in 3 months which could send out a bad signal. CIP is definitely the best card of all the ones you are considering given it's high bonus. I'd stick with your plan: CIP, then wife CSR and/or CSP in 90 days, then 2 SW cards near end of year. This just sets you back by a month.

If you call that automated status line on day 31 you should hear "you have no applications on file" and that means your good to go. IF you really are against waiting the month we could discuss some other options for you now but since you're already 3/24 making the CIP your next card is probably your best plan.

Chase has arguably been looking into removing the ability to pool points within households and transfer points up to a more valuable redemption card for months, since word got out about those questions on that survey. I don’t know if Chase is any more serious about it today than they were 6 months ago. I think we were all spooked enough back then to start transferring and combining all our household points onto one CSR.

If Chase goes ahead with these changes, it would seem to me to be extremely self destructive. Chase built this amazing ecosystem of cards with one common currency, the UR point that can be used for cash or travel. Their cash back cards and their travel reward cards all earn UR points. If we can’t transfer points from cash back cards like the the CF/CFU/CIC, they may as well earn only cash and not UR points because those points can’t be transferred to a travel partner, redeemed for travel on the UR portal, or moved to a card that can do either. I think this diminishes and potentially confuses the brand value of the UR — UR points on cash back cards are only good for cash back, but UR points on the CSP/CSR/CIP are good for cash back and travel? We have quite a bit of UR pooled onto my CSR, so there’s a lot of value for us to keep the CSR for its 1.5x redemption — at least until we’ve redeemed all our pooled points. These days, the CF and CIP are our big UR earners (and I imagine for some, the CIC/Ink+). If we can’t move those points from the CF or CIP to the CSR to take advantage of the 1.5x redemption bonus, there’s a lot less incentive for me to keep the CSR. (We’ve been trying to eat out less anyway and the CIP also earns 3x UR on travel.) Now, let’s think about that. The CF is a $0 fee card, the CIC is a $0 fee card, the CIP is a $95 fee card that gives me a 1.25x redemption bonus. The CSR is a $450 fee card. Which card do you think will be headed to the chopping block?

Chase has arguably been looking into removing the ability to pool points within households and transfer points up to a more valuable redemption card for months, since word got out about those questions on that survey. I don’t know if Chase is any more serious about it today than they were 6 months ago. I think we were all spooked enough back then to start transferring and combining all our household points onto one CSR.

If Chase goes ahead with these changes, it would seem to me to be extremely self destructive. Chase built this amazing ecosystem of cards with one common currency, the UR point that can be used for cash or travel. Their cash back cards and their travel reward cards all earn UR points. If we can’t transfer points from cash back cards like the the CF/CFU/CIC, they may as well earn only cash and not UR points because those points can’t be transferred to a travel partner, redeemed for travel on the UR portal, or moved to a card that can do either. I think this diminishes and potentially confuses the brand value of the UR — UR points on cash back cards are only good for cash back, but UR points on the CSP/CSR/CIP are good for cash back and travel? We have quite a bit of UR pooled onto my CSR, so there’s a lot of value for us to keep the CSR for its 1.5x redemption — at least until we’ve redeemed all our pooled points. These days, the CF and CIP are our big UR earners (and I imagine for some, the CIC/Ink+). If we can’t move those points from the CF or CIP to the CSR to take advantage of the 1.5x redemption bonus, there’s a lot less incentive for me to keep the CSR. (We’ve been trying to eat out less anyway and the CIP also earns 3x UR on travel.) Now, let’s think about that. The CF is a $0 fee card, the CIC is a $0 fee card, the CIP is a $95 fee card that gives me a 1.25x redemption bonus. The CSR is a $450 fee card. Which card do you think will be headed to the chopping block?
@Lain FTW with a spot on analysis!

Personally, I've been using my CFU at 1.5% for all charges not travel or dining since I'll get 2.25% back after transferring to my CSR but if they cut off the transfer ability I'll finally pick up a 2% cashback card and my CFU will see no more use and by no more I mean cancel level no more, because it will be come worthless to me. Citi is running a $100 bonus on their double cash card anyway right now...

I can't believe I opened up bmo accounts just so I could rack up some URs and the first thing I see upon finishing that is this Chase rumor revived...

I feel bad now!! I was giving you a lot of the advice and probably failed to mention to use your First Name and Last Name in the application :( Sorry!!

I would say the best option at this point is to wait the 30 days. If your wife gets another card now she would be at 3 cards in 3 months which could send out a bad signal. CIP is definitely the best card of all the ones you are considering given it's high bonus. I'd stick with your plan: CIP, then wife CSR and/or CSP in 90 days, then 2 SW cards near end of year. This just sets you back by a month.

If you call that automated status line on day 31 you should hear "you have no applications on file" and that means your good to go. IF you really are against waiting the month we could discuss some other options for you now but since you're already 3/24 making the CIP your next card is probably your best plan.
Not your fault and it's all good. I'll apply on day 31 and go on with my original plan.

I have transferred all URs to my DH's CSR. Hopefully his CIP ones post soon before the change, assuming it is true, so I can send them to the CSR as well. Ugghh.

ETA: so for you mathematicians out there...would we want to keep 1 CSR for the household (use extra card for spouse) or keep a CSP for the house (also using extra card for the spouse)? I'm thinking a CSR? ...but only if you earn alot on the 3x travel/dining categories?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter