I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite reddit thought on the Chase rumor so far suggests the rumor article is a prime candidate for clickbait. Logically I think they are correct as the article says nothing we didn't already know, and of course Chase would constantly be actively considering this and many other program changes at any given time... I want to agree with them but the fear is strong with me :darth:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8eseme/daily_discussion_thread_april_25_2018/dxyqvtx/

The problem is Chase is cracking down so much now and devaluing other card benefits too - this change seems more likely. But we'll see. I agree the article looks and acts like clickbait.

There wouldn't be any point in holding more than one UR earning card at that point - so why pay a bunch of fees?

What a mess this would make. I could see possibly still holding the Ink Preferred if Plastiq continues to work (Hyatt transfers!), but thinking through who has which cards and who's loyalty account will get the transfer will be a royal pain.

My favorite reddit thought on the Chase rumor so far suggests the rumor article is a prime candidate for clickbait. Logically I think they are correct as the article says nothing we didn't already know, and of course Chase would constantly be actively considering this and many other program changes at any given time... I want to agree with them but the fear is strong with me :darth:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/8eseme/daily_discussion_thread_april_25_2018/dxyqvtx/

I don't think of Greg and Nick as clickbaity (new word!). I suspect its true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a while longer to implement . . . or if some portion is true (can transfer between SO's but not from lower card to higher, etc). Nothing to do but move your points to the CSR and wait and see.

Yikes on that Chase news!! Especially since I don't have a CSR yet and it's crucial part of me booking my Disney trip for 2019!! Really hope this doesn't come to fruition, or at least holds off for a while... I was planning on applying for CSR/CSP for DH in July and booking our Disney trip hopefully this fall.

Yeah, but we can use it to buy gift cards online, right? I'm fine with that.
Idk, let us know if you try! It will depend on if they process the gift cards themselves or if a 3rd party processes them. If a 3rd party does and they charge your credit card then you won’t get the Amex credit.

Because of this Chase rumor I just combined SO and I’s UR’s, but I can’t get the points to my CIP from my Freedom Unlimited. I transferred SO’s points from his Freedom Unlimited to my CIP. Any ideas? The card says it’s not eligible to go to my CIP.

Update: I couldn’t get it to work so I transferred them to SO’s CIP and then back to my CIP.

Last edited:
Chase has arguably been looking into removing the ability to pool points within households and transfer points up to a more valuable redemption card for months, since word got out about those questions on that survey. I don’t know if Chase is any more serious about it today than they were 6 months ago. I think we were all spooked enough back then to start transferring and combining all our household points onto one CSR.

If Chase goes ahead with these changes, it would seem to me to be extremely self destructive. Chase built this amazing ecosystem of cards with one common currency, the UR point that can be used for cash or travel. Their cash back cards and their travel reward cards all earn UR points. If we can’t transfer points from cash back cards like the the CF/CFU/CIC, they may as well earn only cash and not UR points because those points can’t be transferred to a travel partner, redeemed for travel on the UR portal, or moved to a card that can do either. I think this diminishes and potentially confuses the brand value of the UR — UR points on cash back cards are only good for cash back, but UR points on the CSP/CSR/CIP are good for cash back and travel? We have quite a bit of UR pooled onto my CSR, so there’s a lot of value for us to keep the CSR for its 1.5x redemption — at least until we’ve redeemed all our pooled points. These days, the CF and CIP are our big UR earners (and I imagine for some, the CIC/Ink+). If we can’t move those points from the CF or CIP to the CSR to take advantage of the 1.5x redemption bonus, there’s a lot less incentive for me to keep the CSR. (We’ve been trying to eat out less anyway and the CIP also earns 3x UR on travel.) Now, let’s think about that. The CF is a $0 fee card, the CIC is a $0 fee card, the CIP is a $95 fee card that gives me a 1.25x redemption bonus. The CSR is a $450 fee card. Which card do you think will be headed to the chopping block?

@Lain FTW with a spot on analysis!

Personally, I've been using my CFU at 1.5% for all charges not travel or dining since I'll get 2.25% back after transferring to my CSR but if they cut off the transfer ability I'll finally pick up a 2% cashback card and my CFU will see no more use and by no more I mean cancel level no more, because it will be come worthless to me. Citi is running a $100 bonus on their double cash card anyway right now...

HEY! @Lain - I’m supposed to post the super optimistic comments when bad news comes out!!! :rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

Seriously though - I really agree that I’m not going to get down about this. Just a rehash of precious rumors. If it becomes a reality I’ll deal with it but until then just keep all my URs on my CIP and continue my strategy. :)

On the Chase UR rumor (which Doctor of Credit is now posting too) is there any advantage/reason to combine UR's on the card of one spouse? I.e. husband and I both have a Reserve. I have been taking immediately as soon as posting the points from Freedom, FU, Ink onto the Reserve's but I have not combined them all into one card. So two player mode all UR points on one card together...they are now half points on his half points on mine. Should I combine or does it matter?

Chase has arguably been looking into removing the ability to pool points within households and transfer points up to a more valuable redemption card for months, since word got out about those questions on that survey. I don’t know if Chase is any more serious about it today than they were 6 months ago. I think we were all spooked enough back then to start transferring and combining all our household points onto one CSR.

If Chase goes ahead with these changes, it would seem to me to be extremely self destructive. Chase built this amazing ecosystem of cards with one common currency, the UR point that can be used for cash or travel. Their cash back cards and their travel reward cards all earn UR points. If we can’t transfer points from cash back cards like the the CF/CFU/CIC, they may as well earn only cash and not UR points because those points can’t be transferred to a travel partner, redeemed for travel on the UR portal, or moved to a card that can do either. I think this diminishes and potentially confuses the brand value of the UR — UR points on cash back cards are only good for cash back, but UR points on the CSP/CSR/CIP are good for cash back and travel? We have quite a bit of UR pooled onto my CSR, so there’s a lot of value for us to keep the CSR for its 1.5x redemption — at least until we’ve redeemed all our pooled points. These days, the CF and CIP are our big UR earners (and I imagine for some, the CIC/Ink+). If we can’t move those points from the CF or CIP to the CSR to take advantage of the 1.5x redemption bonus, there’s a lot less incentive for me to keep the CSR. (We’ve been trying to eat out less anyway and the CIP also earns 3x UR on travel.) Now, let’s think about that. The CF is a $0 fee card, the CIC is a $0 fee card, the CIP is a $95 fee card that gives me a 1.25x redemption bonus. The CSR is a $450 fee card. Which card do you think will be headed to the chopping block?

This makes me want to cry. I am WAY too committed to my URs.

This makes me want to cry too!! I am way devoted to my URs. This would completely change both my cc usage and churning strategies. We’d definitley keep my CSR because we do spend quite a bit on travel and dining. These are likely our highest spend categories. But if the ability to transfer up to the CSR goes away, then I would definitley sock drawer both the CF and the CFU. Since we generally transfer URs to United to book award travel, spend that is now going on those cards would go to my United Club card which earns 1.5x United miles on every dollar spent. If I get comfortable once we know more that the Starriott transfer options will still be good, I might also throw some of that everyday spend onto my SPG Biz. And if the ability to transfer from an SO goes away, then I think I might abandon a UR strategy for DH and focus with him on getting the SW companion pass instead. Really really hope this does not come to pass. I also hope we know something definitive before May 20 if that turns out to be the real expiration date for the 50k CIC sign-up bonus because this change definitely affects the desirability of getting that card for DH (unless there would be enough time to get the card, earn the bonus and transfer to my CSR before this change goes into effect). I have been moving all points on all cards in our household to my CSR as soon as they post ever since the rumors of this type of change first cropped up so at least they are all pooled in the right place.

So so hope that’s all this is.

The problem is Chase is cracking down so much now and devaluing other card benefits too - this change seems more likely. But we'll see. I agree the article looks and acts like clickbait.

THIS is what I worry about.

I don't think of Greg and Nick as clickbaity (new word!). I suspect its true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it takes a while longer to implement . . . or if some portion is true (can transfer between SO's but not from lower card to higher, etc). Nothing to do but move your points to the CSR and wait and see.

Hopefully it takes long enough to get some more mileage out of applying for UR cards for DH.

Question: even if they make all these changes, it would still make sense for me to get the CIP once I’m back under 5/24 in October since, even if I wouldn’t be able to pool those points onto my CSR, I could still transfer them 1:1 to United, correct?

Idk, let us know if you try! It will depend on if they process the gift cards themselves or if a 3rd party processes them. If a 3rd party does and they charge your credit card then you won’t get the Amex credit.
Oh, so do you think they want you to order your food online in order to use it?:confused: I guess we could do that. Hmm. We like it enough that I think I'll try buying a gc and see what happens.

Hold on here...which is it Frequent Miler??

• We have received a report from a trusted source that Chase is actively looking at eliminating the ability to pool points in a household and the ability to move points to a more valuable card....
  • Again, we don’t know that they are any closer today than they were last July when Doctor of Credit first posted about the surveys — but I can imagine a world where this makes sense.
So your source knows they are actively looking at it but we don’t know if they’ve made any progress on this in the last 10 months??? Either this is a poorly written article or they know nothing lol. I’m staying positive for now :)

For those of you who are newer to the game, about half a year or more ago, it leaked that Chase was surveying customer opinions about possible changes to the UR program, including ending the ability to transfer points within the household and between cards.

After that scare, a lot of us took the prudent step of transfering out all the points from our (and our partners’) different UR-earning cards onto one designated card that would be doing all the redeeming in the household (usually a CSR for the 1.5x value, but sometimes the CSP or CIP for 1.25x value), and combining points whenever they post to our cards after the close of each statement.

Chase has been “actively” considering these changes for months. Again, I don’t know if Frequent Miler has any new information that these changes are being taken any more seriously today than they were when the survey leaked, or if any changes are imminent. The best thing you can do right now is to consolidate your UR points onto your highest redemption card, and keep transferring the points over when the statements close on each of your UR-earning cards while you can.

If or when a change happens, we’ll deal with it then. But then I’d think Chase will see a lot of credit card cancellations because it won’t make sense to hold the trifecta or quadfecta of UR cards anymore.

I agree that Frequent Miler is well regarded and doesn’t tend to sensationalize rumors. If Chase is going to make a change from this rumor, I’d actually prefer Chase discontinue household transfers because Amex stopped allowing this years ago. Chase built this amazing portfolio of cards that do different things very well (heck, we even have a name for it — trifecta/quadfecta). It would really be self destructive to stop UR transfers between these cards. I think each card earning in isolation would destroy UR as a currency system. I think it would be much easier for households to adapt spending patterns to put most charges on one partner’s cards.

I agree that Frequent Miler is well regarded and doesn’t tend to sensationalize rumors. If Chase is going to make a change from this rumor, I’d actually prefer Chase discontinue household transfers because Amex stopped allowing this years ago. Chase built this amazing portfolio of cards that do different things very well (heck, we even have a name for it — trifecta/quadfecta). It would really be self destructive to stop UR transfers between these cards. I think each card earning in isolation would destroy UR as a currency system. I think it would be much easier for households to adapt spending patterns to put most charges on one partner’s cards.
I could live with this between digital wallets and also I'm not afraid to use a card with DHs name (I can't ever get him to use one of mine alone lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter