I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of this Chase rumor I just combined SO and I’s UR’s, but I can’t get the points to my CIP from my Freedom Unlimited. I transferred SO’s points from his Freedom Unlimited to my CIP. Any ideas? The card says it’s not eligible to go to my CIP.

Update: I couldn’t get it to work so I transferred them to SO’s CIP and then back to my CIP.

Yeah, UR cards don’t like having more than one transferring card linked to it. You have to do a daisy chain. Glad you figured it out!

I agree that Frequent Miler is well regarded and doesn’t tend to sensationalize rumors. If Chase is going to make a change from this rumor, I’d actually prefer Chase discontinue household transfers because Amex stopped allowing this years ago. Chase built this amazing portfolio of cards that do different things very well (heck, we even have a name for it — trifecta/quadfecta). It would really be self destructive to stop UR transfers between these cards. I think each card earning in isolation would destroy UR as a currency system. I think it would be much easier for households to adapt spending patterns to put most charges on one partner’s cards.

Agree if I had to choose between two nondesirsble changes, I’d rather retain the ability to transfer points up to my CSR from CF, CFU, CIP, CIC, but losing the ability to transfer within the household kind of kills the benefit of 2-player mode for UR bonuses.

So if these Chase rumors are true will we get a warning from Chase with a date when the changes will start?

I agree that Frequent Miler is well regarded and doesn’t tend to sensationalize rumors. If Chase is going to make a change from this rumor, I’d actually prefer Chase discontinue household transfers because Amex stopped allowing this years ago. Chase built this amazing portfolio of cards that do different things very well (heck, we even have a name for it — trifecta/quadfecta). It would really be self destructive to stop UR transfers between these cards. I think each card earning in isolation would destroy UR as a currency system. I think it would be much easier for households to adapt spending patterns to put most charges on one partner’s cards.

I don't know . . . DH and I have different cards since each card does a different "job." He has CF and CIP; I have CIC and CSR. So easy just to transfer everything to my CSR when statements close. Without that ability, we'd really have to think through how to utilize points. Don't want to think too hard about this before we know something (if this even comes to fruition). My brain is already fried thinking about Marriott and SPG points - lol.

Let's talk about this whole "Chase Ultimate Rewards" rumor and assume it comes true as reported for a minute:

1. The report says they aren't eliminating travel partners so for those transferring to Hyatt, United, Southwest, etc...this is a much more minimal effect. It means you can't transfer your points from CF/CFU/CIC to those partners. You'd still be able to do it with CIP, CSP, CSR. That would somewhat lessen the blow
  2. The sign-up bonuses are still pretty good even if cashed out. Let's take CIP for example - I earn 85,000 points. Now I can either redeem that for $1062.50 in travel (@ 1.25) vs. what used to be $1,275 with a CSR. So I lost $212.50 in value BUT I still earned $1062.50 on $5k in purchases at a return of 21%! Still a great bonus.
  3. So let's say you just cash out that CIP bonus...Now I have $850 in cash...yes a $425 loss. But if I use that cash to spend money towards another signup bonus, I can make up 20% of the difference. Or let's say I'm going to Disney and can acquire Disney Gift Cards at a 12% discount (that's what I get through Giant Eagle) now I make up some of that difference too. Is it a loss...yes, but I can still probably squeeze $1,000 in cash value out of cashing those points out at a 20% return.
  4. The same general math holds true for CSP...$885 (@1.5) with a CSR vs. $738 (@1.25) alone as a CSP so a $147 loss. Still an 18%+ return on the signup. Cashing out and buying gift cards or meeting another signup can still get you upwards of $700.
  5. CSR loses a little luster as it no longer makes your other points worth more...but it's signup holds true as it does today.
  6. CF and CFU as an everyday card maybe aren't as exciting now but their signup math still shows a good return even if just in cash $150 vs. $225 if partnered with a CSR.

My basic attitude here is if it happens you roll with it. The points are worth a little less - I can still generate > 20% back on my purchases by chasing these sign up bonuses. Remain positive guys, the game throws you curve-balls like this. Anytime something negative comes out it's frustrating but remember, the game lived on through the implementation of 5/24 on Chase cards, the expansion of 5/24 to co-brands, AMEX once in a lifetime, BofA cracking down, Citi's restrictive language, numerous devaluations of every currency you can imagine, etc. etc. etc. The Game will live on past this too (and "this" hasn't even happened yet and may NEVER happen)!! :)

Does Chase really want to push my spend back to Amex where all my MRs are automatically pooled between my cards?

This is exactly what I would do. Currently DH and I each have a Quadfecta of Chase UR cards. Mine is CSR, Ink+, CF, CFU and DH has CSR, Ink+ and CF x 2. I am now rather glad I have never downgraded my Ink+ to a CIC. If the worst comes to pass, I'd still have a card that earns me 5x and transfers 1:1 to airlines. I can live with that. The CSR would go out the window and the CF and CFU would get sock drawered. Then I'd pick up an Amex Blue business card and upgrade my Everyday no fee card to an Everyday Preferred card.

I swear, news like this makes me :sick:

@amalone1013 I just did this today! United Miles Plus Shopping portal has a deal-spend $150 and receive 300 miles. So I used my MilesPlus X for $150.88 (5 miles per dollar for the gift card), then went to the Miles Plus Shopping where it was 2x/$ at petco and right now my Chase Sapphire Plus is my card on file (this might change who knows) so end up earning 754 miles for using the gc via MPX, 302 miles for the portal and another 300 for meeting the spend (I hope, you never see that right away, sadly and sometimes the bonus is before not after taxes-I'll probably do a little more shopping tbh to ensure it is awarded) with the current promotion, as well as 151 UR on my CSP. So 1507 United miles for a week and half of dog food!
Even DH the anti credit card person was impressed.

Thanks @Lain, I've been off the boards for a while but always willing to help!

This is exactly what I would do. Currently DH and I each have a Quadfecta of Chase UR cards. Mine is CSR, Ink+, CF, CFU and DH has CSR, Ink+ and CF x 2. I am now rather glad I have never downgraded my Ink+ to a CIC. If the worst comes to pass, I'd still have a card that earns me 5x and transfers 1:1 to airlines. I can live with that. The CSR would go out the window and the CF and CFU would get sock drawered. Then I'd pick up an Amex Blue business card and upgrade my Everyday no fee card to an Everyday Preferred card.

I swear, news like this makes me :sick:
Why not just get that Biz Blue+ Card now anyways ;) you can never have too many cards LOL!

@amalone1013 I just did this today! United Miles Plus Shopping portal has a deal-spend $150 and receive 300 miles. So I used my MilesPlus X for $150.88 (5 miles per dollar for the gift card), then went to the Miles Plus Shopping where it was 2x/$ at petco and right now my Chase Sapphire Plus is my card on file (this might change who knows) so end up earning 754 miles for using the gc via MPX, 302 miles for the portal and another 300 for meeting the spend (I hope, you never see that right away, sadly and sometimes the bonus is before not after taxes-I'll probably do a little more shopping tbh to ensure it is awarded) with the current promotion, as well as 151 UR on my CSP. So 1507 United miles for a week and half of dog food!
Even DH the anti credit card person was impressed.

Thanks @Lain, I've been off the boards for a while but always willing to help!
Thanks! I introduced my in laws to the luxury of having pet food shipped to their door thanks to the amex chewy offers... they go through 2 30lb bags every 3ish weeks for their dogs. And chewy charges the same as the store they go to, which is the cheapest in the area. The other day Amazon had a Petco gift card for $10 off, and I snagged one after checking its also the same price there... and that reminded there was an amazing pet food points stacker here :) Were staying with my in laws and they wont take money, so I'm always looking for other ways.. paying for some dog food plus earning points seems like a win win to me! I get to bring dog treats home from work occasionally and I joke that that is how I earn my keep :laughing:

paying for some dog food plus earning points seems like a win win to me! I get to bring dog treats home from work occasionally and I joke that that is how I earn my keep :laughing:

That's so thoughtful of you! With 4 dogs ranging from 50-70 pounds plus a foster dog, we'd be happy to let you stay with us and pay in dog food...if you want to relocate to Florida :)

On the Chase UR rumor (which Doctor of Credit is now posting too) is there any advantage/reason to combine UR's on the card of one spouse? I.e. husband and I both have a Reserve. I have been taking immediately as soon as posting the points from Freedom, FU, Ink onto the Reserve's but I have not combined them all into one card. So two player mode all UR points on one card together...they are now half points on his half points on mine. Should I combine or does it matter?

This makes me want to cry too!! I am way devoted to my URs. This would completely change both my cc usage and churning strategies. We’d definitley keep my CSR because we do spend quite a bit on travel and dining. These are likely our highest spend categories. But if the ability to transfer up to the CSR goes away, then I would definitley sock drawer both the CF and the CFU. Since we generally transfer URs to United to book award travel, spend that is now going on those cards would go to my United Club card which earns 1.5x United miles on every dollar spent. If I get comfortable once we know more that the Starriott transfer options will still be good, I might also throw some of that everyday spend onto my SPG Biz. And if the ability to transfer from an SO goes away, then I think I might abandon a UR strategy for DH and focus with him on getting the SW companion pass instead. Really really hope this does not come to pass. I also hope we know something definitive before May 20 if that turns out to be the real expiration date for the 50k CIC sign-up bonus because this change definitely affects the desirability of getting that card for DH (unless there would be enough time to get the card, earn the bonus and transfer to my CSR before this change goes into effect). I have been moving all points on all cards in our household to my CSR as soon as they post ever since the rumors of this type of change first cropped up so at least they are all pooled in the right place.

Question: even if they make all these changes, it would still make sense for me to get the CIP once I’m back under 5/24 in October since, even if I wouldn’t be able to pool those points onto my CSR, I could still transfer them 1:1 to United, correct?

Agree if I had to choose between two nondesirsble changes, I’d rather retain the ability to transfer points up to my CSR from CF, CFU, CIP, CIC, but losing the ability to transfer within the household kind of kills the benefit of 2-player mode for UR bonuses.

There are benefits to combining all the household's UR points to one designated, highest redemption value card because the person doing the redemption will have all the points at their disposal to book a single or several itineraries and/or make larger redemptions through the UR Portal. If transferring UR points to travel partners instead, transfers are made in 1,000 point increments; so if Player 1 has 1,250 UR on his account and Player 2 has 1,900 UR on her account, keeping the two stashes separate means the household can only transfer 2,000 UR, but combine them and you can transfer 3,000 UR.

So relatedly, even if @Calfan can't transfer UR from CIP to CSR, yes, she could use her CIP to transfer UR to UA at 1:1. Not being able to combine points between the two cards might mean that she has some leftover points >1,000 increment on the CIP that can't combine with the balance on the CSR.

I don't know if these possible changes kills the benefit of 2-player mode in chasing UR bonuses, because each player can still make separate redemptions and transfers, but it might sap some value from the margins.

That's so thoughtful of you! With 4 dogs ranging from 50-70 pounds plus a foster dog, we'd be happy to let you stay with us and pay in dog food...if you want to relocate to Florida :)
Haha I will keep that in mind!

The in laws have 3 dogs about that size. Also 2 outdoor cats plus a rotation of strays (and occasionally racoons). It's amazing how quickly food adds up. I work for a pet food company... occasionally we get food too, it's like a black Friday sale when they do that.

The ILs have been great to us tho... letting us stay in our crazy rental/housing market allowed us to pay for our wedding in cash, pay off our student loans, and save a good chunk for a downpayment. Its had its challenges and sacrifices, but luckily we get along very well. They're like second parents to me, and have been more parents than my own father lately. So we try to do a lot of shopping, cooking, and pick up the tab when we go out. Even if we started buying all the pet food, that would be nothing compared to what they've saved us and allowed us to do. I told MIL about the petco bc and she said, I'll give you $40. I told her I'd like to see her try.

And this just happened: DH is at the racetrack with a friend tonight, so I just told DHs parents I was going to get arby's, would they like anything? FIL went to get cash and I snuck out the door, he chased me out to the driveway to try and give it to me. And while he was getting cash, MIL was like I forgot to tell you, she got a deal on a petco gift card for the next time we need dog food so we need to give her money for that... :laughing: Thats okay, anytime they succeed in giving us cash, it goes to a travel fund for them. For the last year or so it had been for our wedding trip, I used it to buy discounted Disney gcs for them for food and stuff and presented it to them before we left. This time it will go to the surprise family cruise trip were planning for next summer...

Haha I will keep that in mind!

The in laws have 3 dogs about that size. Also 2 outdoor cats plus a rotation of strays (and occasionally racoons). It's amazing how quickly food adds up. I work for a pet food company... occasionally we get food too, it's like a black Friday sale when they do that.

The ILs have been great to us tho... letting us stay in our crazy rental/housing market allowed us to pay for our wedding in cash, pay off our student loans, and save a good chunk for a downpayment. Its had its challenges and sacrifices, but luckily we get along very well. They're like second parents to me, and have been more parents than my own father lately. So we try to do a lot of shopping, cooking, and pick up the tab when we go out. Even if we started buying all the pet food, that would be nothing compared to what they've saved us and allowed us to do. I told MIL about the petco bc and she said, I'll give you $40. I told her I'd like to see her try.

And this just happened: DH is at the racetrack with a friend tonight, so I just told DHs parents I was going to get arby's, would they like anything? FIL went to get cash and I snuck out the door, he chased me out to the driveway to try and give it to me. And while he was getting cash, MIL was like I forgot to tell you, she got a deal on a petco gift card for the next time we need dog food so we need to give her money for that... :laughing: Thats okay, anytime they succeed in giving us cash, it goes to a travel fund for them. For the last year or so it had been for our wedding trip, I used it to buy discounted Disney gcs for them for food and stuff and presented it to them before we left. This time it will go to the surprise family cruise trip were planning for next summer...
Your ILs bring tears to my eyes. Beautiful. Love comes in so many forms in our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter