Favorite Mass Produced Candy

I've seen it locally - not sure WHERE, but its something I'm going to be on the lookout for.

Their information says they have stores in 19 US states, along with Asia. However, at maybe $18/lb now, I'm not sure that fits with your original premise. I kind of thought that it meant something that was reasonable affordable.

Now I've tried some really high end chocolates. There's a guy in Berkeley who makes some incredible stuff. He used to have two stores in Berkeley but one has since closed. His other location now is in Lincoln, Nebraska since that's his home town. Also available at a couple of retailers in Salt Lake City. Now that's kind of random, but I suppose there's a story behind it.

https://www.bluesberkeley.com/contact/

Not mass produced, but my favorite was from a smallish company in San Francisco called Joseph Schmidt Confections. I've seen them all over, although I remember the deals they had at their store in San Francisco. They made these half-egg shaped truffles that were incredible, and only cost a dollar each at their store. I'd seen them in fancy candy stores and they could sell for up to $4 each. I remember seeing them at (pre-Macy's) Marshall Field's when I visited Chicago and in NYC.

They got bought out by Hershey's, which also bought out Dagoba and Scharffen Berger. For a while they operated these companies under the "Artisan Confections" division. Then they shut it down. I talked to someone there, and he said that Hershey's actually managed to keep it afloat for a few years but couldn't absorb the losses any more. They kept the founder on as a chocolate buyer and consultant. They also shut down the Scharffen Berger factory in Berkeley and moved all production to Illinois where they were already making milk chocolate.

Another vote for Reese's smallish peanut butter cups. Not the standard size nor the real tiny ones, but in-between size. Like someone mentioned, they have the perfect ratio of chocolate to peanut butter.

71787.jpg

Since I mentioned Joseph Schmidt, I thought maybe a photo would help.

6cbfc01825086dc991521b4d214a32c7.jpg

Some of them were really clever, like the mushroom, which was white chocolate with a milk chocolate filling and a "stem". There was the cherry bomb, which had a cherry in the center with the stem sticking out like a fuse. They had other stuff like slicks, which were a hockey puck shaped truffle. I'd actually seen them at local Trader Joe's really cheap. They also had these ones call Mosaics. And they were known for chocolate artistry. I'd bought chocolate tulips. I mentioned Marshall Field's in Chicago, and I saw that they had commissioned Joseph Schmidt to create a skyline of Chicago in chocolate. They actually had it for years, although the one I saw might have been a different one or the sign might need updating. I visited in 1998, and this article says it was 14 years old in 2017. I saw it when it was pretty new. This one looks a bit old, and I believe the fat starts separating.

macys_chocolate_chicago1-600x400.jpg

http://www.loopnorth.com/news/macys0427.htm

Reese's peanut butter cups. The small, individually wrapped ones, not the tiny mini ones that are just tossed together into a bag.

Since I mentioned Joseph Schmidt, I thought maybe a photo would help.

Some of them were really clever, like the mushroom, which was white chocolate with a milk chocolate filling and a "stem". There was the cherry bomb, which had a cherry in the center with the stem sticking out like a fuse. They had other stuff like slicks, which were a hockey puck shaped truffle. I'd actually seen them at local Trader Joe's really cheap. They also had these ones call Mosaics. And they were known for chocolate artistry. I'd bought chocolate tulips. I mentioned Marshall Field's in Chicago, and I saw that they had commissioned Joseph Schmidt to create a skyline of Chicago in chocolate. They actually had it for years, although the one I saw might have been a different one or the sign might need updating. I visited in 1998, and this article says it was 14 years old in 2017. I saw it when it was pretty new. This one looks a bit old, and I believe the fat starts separating.

I'm getting those.

Marshall Field's chocolate...hmmm. For many years of my life Fields was my Black Friday jam. Now I stay close to home for Thanksgiving, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

[I think it's only fair to let you know that I eat each separate thing on my plate and never mix THOSE either....:blush: ]

Twizzlers - the pull and peel kind.
Milk Duds - love their wonderful chewieness
Ghiradelli milk chocolate with carmel in the middle
Milky way midnights
Peanut M&M's
Used to love Whatchamacallits
Take 5
Mike n Ike

Geez I sound like I have a problem here.... I don't really eat it much but if I am going to then its ON!

Living and working in Hershey, I feel like I should say some Hershey chocolate, but the only ones I really like are the Cookies & Cream bar and Symphony with toffee and almonds. Other than those, I love anything Cadbury or Lindt- especially if it has either caramel or coconut in it. Oh, and has to be either milk or white chocolate...no dark for me!
Do they still even make chocolate in Hershey? Hershey closed their Oakdale California plant 9 years ago, allegedly to move production to Mexico.

Do they still even make chocolate in Hershey? Hershey closed their Oakdale California plant 9 years ago, allegedly to move production to Mexico.
.....:scratchin....I've heard that Mexican chocolate tastes pretty good.....but of course, that's just hearsay.

I don't dunk it, I just enjoy them at the same time...and that I do! I LOVE milk though...
.....so do I.....with chocolate chip cookies....and Oreos.....and 7-layer chocolate cake....and cherry pie....and brownies.....and.....

[ :teeth: ;) ]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter