Favorite Mass Produced Candy

Do they still even make chocolate in Hershey? Hershey closed their Oakdale California plant 9 years ago, allegedly to move production to Mexico.

Yes, they built a new plant in West Hershey in 2012. Hershey's milk chocolate bars, kisses milk chocolate, syrup and Reese's pb cups are all made here. They also make Twizzlers at the Lancaster facility, a few miles from Hershey.

I'm getting those.

Marshall Field's chocolate...hmmm. For many years of my life Fields was my Black Friday jam. Now I stay close to home for Thanksgiving, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

You mean Frango? I don't know exactly how it went down, but they did make them in a room at Marshall Field's, but I'm not sure how it changed after Macy's bought them out.

You mean Frango? I don't know exactly how it went down, but they did make them in a room at Marshall Field's, but I'm not sure how it changed after Macy's bought them out.

Yep - that's the one. I haven't been - except on a mission during a work trip - since it changed to Macy's. I mean, we have Macy's everywhere, so why bother?

For American candy: Milky Way Dark (I normally don't care much for dark chocolate, but the mix is just perfect with this one.). For non-chocolate yumminess, Spree. (I also like Skor bars, and I actually don't seem to have any trouble finding them where I live, more's the pity, because I really need to lose some weight!)

For UK candy, Terry's Chocolate Orange. (I *love* chocolate mixed with orange; I can eat the World Market Chocolate-Orange straw cookies by the can-full if you don't stop me! They are especially wonderful crumbled on good vanilla ice cream.)

Honorable mention to McVitie's Penguins, though those are really more of a cookie than a candy. My children adore them, so much so that they always demand them on birthdays and Christmas. (I can only find them at World Market, and they are terribly expensive in the US. Whenever I travel to visit relatives I stock up on them, because they are dirt cheap in the UK and Ireland.)

PS: I know I'm not supposed to say so, but my favorite Frango flavor is Toffee. I used to love the original mint, but I can't really enjoy mint anymore; tummy issues. Most Macy's have some Frango available in stores, but if you want the full range of product, you still need to visit one in Chicago. (Macy's actually sold the Frango brand to Garrett Popcorn a few months ago, though they don't intend to carry the chocolate in the popcorn shops. Many people are hoping that they will move production back to Chicago. As of now, Macy's still plans to sell Frango in store.)

Last edited:
Yep - that's the one. I haven't been - except on a mission during a work trip - since it changed to Macy's. I mean, we have Macy's everywhere, so why bother?

I remember working in a place where we had interaction with people from Chicago. One of the things we got once was a couple of boxes of Frango mint chocolate with cookie pieces. I'd also been to Chicago once and got to see where they made it. Some independent candy stores actually had them in stock in my area, but only one kind (dark chocolate).

I didn't really know the history other than being from Chicago, and that Macy's had shut down the candy making operation in the old Marshall Field's store to go with cheaper contractors. Apparently that's not entirely true as if came from Seattle when Marshall Field's bought out a Seattle department store chain (Frederick and Nelson), that apparently still made their version in Seattle well into the 80s. The name was some variation on an acronym of the company. Then it seemed to have devolved with various closures, manufacturing contracts, and even a knockoff made by one of the former employees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frango

Oh - come to think of it one of my favorites was Almond Roca. Since See's was mentioned, they make a similar product called Toffee-ettes.

My newest favorite is caramel M&Ms. Those things are addictive and very, very good! So far I have only found them at Target.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter