Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

We really loved Boma, but for the $$, I think Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace was the best bet. Better 6 things done well than 30 mediocre dishes.

I'm glad I didn't read anyone defending Tony's. How that place even stays open is surprising. One of the worse places I have ever eaten at, not just at WDW, but anywhere.

Eating at Disney is an amazing display of logistics more than amazing culinary skills. The fact they can feed so many pretty decent meals day after day is astonishing. I think people come and are having a great time, they are active and work up a big appetite, so the food seems great when you sit down in a cool place and can rest and eat. The scenery is usually great, and service for the most part is top notch. But I personally think the food overall is way overrated. There are some good restaurants, some great dishes across the different locations, but to me, I can't think of too many places that would make it on their own off Disney property and be considered a top restaurant in another city, especially NY. And in most cities they would be way overpriced. They have to cater to so many different tastes, the dishes are made somewhat bland, but they make up for it in portion size.

Like a lot of things, it comes down to expectations. If you go in comparing and thinking you will be fed like at the worlds top restaurants, you will probably be disappointed, but if you go in willing to try it with an open mind and have fun, you should be able to enjoy eating at Disney for what it is.

Many of the Disney restaurants are about the theme, entertainment, characters, setting and excitement of eating in the castle for example. They are not really about the food. Some will argue I'm sure but we've eaten just about everywhere around the "world" and this has been our overall experience the last 5 years or so. Sure, there are some exceptions and you can find a really good meal here and there. But the prices are high even at the ho-hum places and you are certainly paying for the experience in many of those cases and not the food. We are from New England so I never ever order lobster for example as I know I'll be sadly disappointed (tried that at Narcoossee's once and regretted it painfully). We also live in the general Boston area so we've got great Italian food and lots of awesome dining experiences at our finger tips. I say all this because I think anyone who is going to Disney, knows good food and is expecting to be wowed by the food there, is going to be disappointed. Like many things, it comes down to expectations so I would temper your expectations and if you are pleasantly surprised, then take that as a win! Have fun!

If you enjoy Per Se, Eleven Madison Park or even Le Bernadin (my favorite places in NYC) and eat there frequently, I think you'll likely need to seriously temper your expectations.

PERSONALLY - I would keep the V&A's reservation and would dump Jiko in favor of Jaleo or the new Takumi-Tei offering at Epcot. Jiko used to be a favorite of mine, but after a third consecutive bad meal back in May it's off my list for a while. I'd rather eat at Tiffins in Animal Kingdom or Sana'a at AKL and then just have wine in the Jiko Lounge
Oh gosh, definitely not eating at those places frequently hahaa.

I'm a little torn on Jiko now...a lot of people saying it's super good but plenty of others like you who said that they've been serving bad meals and would not go back again. Is it a general consensus that Tiffins is better than Jiko?

Oh gosh, definitely not eating at those places frequently hahaa.

I'm a little torn on Jiko now...a lot of people saying it's super good but plenty of others like you who said that they've been serving bad meals and would not go back again. Is it a general consensus that Tiffins is better than Jiko?
Tiffins changed since the first time we went there, I would pick Jiko. But Nomad's lounge (located by Tiffins) on the other hand is a great place to have a drink or two and a appetizer. Sometimes that is our lunch.

The food at CRT is pretty dreadful (think catered food at work conference event), but the castle experience is very fun. If it is more about meeting the princesses and not as critical to be in Cinderella's castle, I would consider a change to Akershus. The Norwegian food is always quite tasty, and the appetizer buffet has a lot of really delicious seafood, cheese, charcuterie, and interesting salad options.

I agree with this in comparison to CRT, but boy, do I find the current Akershus menu disappointing compared to my memories of the wider selection of Scandinavian food they had in the 80s. That was one of my family's favorite restaurants - the lunch/dinner buffet was just fantastic. Now there are a few bare nods to it in the current Princess breakfast buffet, but it pales in comparison to its former mashed-rutabega-and-Swedish-meatball-rich glory.

I’m unfamiliar with Blaze, but my family found Via Napoli to be fine.
Another lover of New Haven pies w/ (Foxon Park's birch beer on the side please) and my family also likes VN's Margherita pie. One of the traveling kiddos got a 4 cheese pizza from VN once but it had too much topping for me. The rest of them like the Sicilian style slices at Pizza Ponte but I've never tried it.

I compared the foods at MK not WDW to Great Adventure's, in part because whatever ethnic cuisines both parks sell are watered down versions as far as seasonings and quality of ingredients. I can certainly understand that given the overall price point but not the amounts of salt and sugar frequently used.
Much to pick and choose from at other parks but have not had the same success at Magic Kingdom. I do like the Dole Whip there though so I wont starve. I don't consider "Jiko's" a misspelling just being possessive;).

Bingo...your exposure to true ethnic cuisines in your area will affect how you view Disney World...like I have a cornucopia of spectacular true Asian country cuisine near me (except for true mainland China - although we do have Uyghur)...so for example, to me, Sanaa is average Indian at best...but if you are in an area with a dearth of options for true Indian cuisine, you might think Sanaa is awesome...

It was how I felt about Philly cheesesteaks growing up...I never knew that no one could replicate this item, til I tried self-described ones in NYC, Washington DC, TX, OH, and VA...where they are all terrible (don't get me started on who the hell puts globs of mayo on it)...so, I know not to expect a good Philly cheesesteak anywhere but within 30 miles of Philly or from someone born and raised there in a restaurant elsewhere...doesn't mean I still don't order it sometimes b/c a lousy one is still better than no one...but it's setting the expectation that it will not measure up, so I'm not perpetually disappointed...

Last edited:
Bingo...your exposure to true ethnic cuisines in your area will affect how you view Disney World...like I have a cornucopia of spectacular true Asian county cuisine near me (except for true mainland China - although we do have Uyghur)...so for example, to me, Sanaa is average Indian at best...but if you are in an area with a dearth of options for true Indian cuisine, you might think Sanaa is awesome...

It was how I felt about Philly cheesesteaks growing up...I never knew that no one could replicate this item, til I tried self-described ones in NYC, Washington DC, TX, OH, and VA...where they are all terrible (don't get me started on who the hell puts globs of mayo on it)...so, I know not to expect a good Philly cheesesteak anywhere but within 30 miles of Philly or from someone born and raised there in a restaurant elsewhere...doesn't mean I still don't order it sometimes b/c a lousy one is still better than no one...but it's setting the expectation that it will not measure up, so I'm not perpetually disappointed...

There used to be a popular Philly steak shop in the Village on 8th Street and that's all I knew until I grew up and started taking NJ Transit/SEPTA to Philly for day trips. Now we visit for weekends whenever the mood hits and have Philly steak tastings;). Sooo much better in the City of Brotherly Love. And I know I can get shoo fly pie certain days at Reading Mkt but hoping we can visit Lancaster before the cold weather begins and get the "real stuff" on demand.

I think it is all about what you are looking for, and what are your expectations. There is plenty of delicious dining options in WDW, and since you have V&A on your roster you will be very happy at one meal, at least. In regards to the other signature restaurant, you are going to see mixed reviews, from "never again" to "best meal ever" so IMO, at that point you know preference is personal. When I make choices I look at theme, and atmosphere, items on the menu, price, and convenience for my family for that meal.

My Dad was an executive Chef, specializing in French technique and cuisine. We were raised on some of his cooking, but mostly my Mom's, all comfort foods. When I book our restaurants I book the ones that make us happy in more than just the food. For instance we like to dine at Chef Mickey. Is the food awesome? Nope, not even close. But we have never had bad food, and we always shave attentive service, and fun with the characters. It does not get more Disney than CM, but we do not expect our buffet to be Todd English quality. We like Mama Melrose and go in expecting good well prepared food, which we have always received. We do not expect our favorite Casa Di Lisa Veal Milanese to be served there, so we are not disappointed. The food is good. We do not make comparisons to the restaurants at home that we love.

If you and your party set the expectations for Be Our Guest steak to rival a NYC steakhouse, you might as well take out your review cards now. If you expect to be served a nice meal, a pretty good glass of wine, and meet the Beast embedded in his library you will walk away satisfied.

Just go in with your eyes open and maybe research a bit. I am from Kansas City and read all the time here about how good the barbeques is. Its a lot of things but barbeque its not. On the other hand I eat at as many seafoods restaurants as I can love. Love them but a Marine I served with is from Massachusetts and he says I would not know good seafood if it swam up and smacked me in the face but he loves Polite Pig. Go with stuff outside your comfort zone and enjoy.

Just go in with your eyes open and maybe research a bit. I am from Kansas City and read all the time here about how good the barbeques is. Its a lot of things but barbeque its not. On the other hand I eat at as many seafoods restaurants as I can love. Love them but a Marine I served with is from Massachusetts and he says I would not know good seafood if it swam up and smacked me in the face but he loves Polite Pig. Go with stuff outside your comfort zone and enjoy.
So glad you responded as I've a sideways question for you- what is your opinion of the Polite Pig? Haven't eaten there and I don't like the food at Flame Tree even though they give really large portions. TIA!

I hate the premise of this question. I’ve lived in NYC and have lots of friends and family there and some of them eat like crap. Like they will order papa johns or something and it makes me shake my head. When chic filet opened in the city people lost their minds. Living there doesn’t automatically make you sophisticated.

But that being said, I agree with a lot of the opinions expressed elsewhere in the thread. Disney food, as a whole is unremarkable. There are some exceptions and Disney Springs especially has added some nice options.

What really makes Disney dining special is the unique theming and just being on vacation with (hopefully) people who’s company you enjoy.

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?

World Showcase, then resort restaurants, are the best to drop in on with usually the most day of availability. Spice Road Table at Epcot is a very good restaurant with above par service. I had the best rack of lamb there.

Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare.

Self-described food snob here. We live in NJ. We frequently eat in NYC at places like Babbo. Our favorite local restaurant is the Ryland Inn. We enjoy the experience at Victoria & Albert's at both the chef's table and in the Queen's room. You will not be disappointed. As for the lack of a Michelin star, Michelin simply does not rate restaurants in Florida. If they did, it would have three. Most of my Michelin-starred restaurant experiences have been in Europe. We can't wait for the reservation window at Noma in Copenhagen to open up for our trip next summer! My experience at Disney is to stick to Signature Dining at the resorts. Do not eat in the Magid Kingdom. Jump on the monorail and head to one of the resorts. If you're at EPCOT, don't forget the Swan and Dolphin--especially bluezoo at the Dolphin. If you are in a park, there are exactly two restaurants I can recommend. 1) Monsieur Paul's (that's Paul Bocuse mind you) in EPCOT. Though the Chef has passed on, his family is still involved with the restaurant. Do get the Oxtail Broth covered in puff pastry for your soup course. 2) Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios where the menu always includes seasonal treats. There is a third that has only just opened and I have heard very good things about the experience. It is Takumi-Tei in the Japan pavilion at EPCOT. I'm looking forward to giving that a go my next trip.

Enjoy!

Food at WDW has to be mass produced to feed the masses so in most cases but not all, quality can suffer. It’s kind of about finding your guilty pleasures. The signature dining isn’t up to snuff for the most part. For me it’s churros, the Poutine at Disney Springs, the cold sesame noodles from Morimoto, the waffles from sleepy hollow, the Mac and cheese from Homecomin. Let yourself have some fun with it.

Also I know NYC is possibly the greatest restaurant city in this country, but in 2019 please know excellent food can be found everywhere. I’ve been to NYC a bunch of times, Chicago a few times every year, LA every year but I’ve also been to smaller towns in Indiana and Arizona and Virginia to name a few and good food is not owned by NYC :)

Last edited:
Food at WDW has to be mass produced to feed the masses so in most cases but not all, quality can suffer. It’s kind of about finding your guilty pleasures. The signature dining isn’t up to snuff for the most part. For me it’s churros, the Poutine at Disney Springs, the cold sesame noodles from Morimoto, the waffles from sleepy hollow, the Mac and cheese from Homecomin. Let yourself have some fun with it.

Also I know NYC is possible the greatest restaurant city in this country, but in 2019 please know excellent food can be found everywhere. I’ve been to NYC a bunch of times, Chicago a few times every year, LA every year but I’ve also been to smaller towns in Indiana and Arizona and Virginia to name a few and good food is not owned by NYC :)
Agreed absolutely. Been on the hunt for regional cuisine for some time whether found in small towns or big cities. Just not some mega chain restaurant's version.
Personally, I don't care whether it costs little or not. What's important to me is it's well made with honest ingredients and respect for what it is whether a burger or steak tartare.

WDW restaurants can be hit or miss. 10-20 years ago was the peak of Disney dining. That being said, Disney still wins on theming, presentation, and service, IME. I agree with avoiding bagels, pizza, and Italian. If you include in your expectations the Disney upcharge you will likely be happy.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food
I live in CT and we frequent NYC often. The type of food you find in NY is just so much better than most places. While there are restaurants I like in DW, there are few that compare to NY.
The ones we enjoy in DW are Morimoto Asia, Narcoosee’s, and Il Mulino New York Trattoria. I see that you have BOG on your list. The food there is just ok but the experience of the B&B dining rooms is really nice. The same for the castle.
I would definitely check some of the threads listing people’s fave restaurants and try to stick with the ones that are frequently mentioned.
Enjoy the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter