Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

I think in general, the food at WDW is underwhelming regardless of where your from.. They have a few really good places but overall, your probably going to be disappointed.
I don't think that's true for everyone. I'm from the DC area and currently live in Dallas, I've never had a single remotely bad meal at Disney. Every meal I've had has been above average to fantastic. The food is one of my favorite parts about going.

My hubby forever complains about bagels. He does the fish for breakfast thing.. whitefish salad or salmon or just a bagel with cream cheese..we are not NYers but we still won’t order Italian or a bagel unless we are in Phila or NJ, or NY.

You won't eat Italian food unless you are in Philadelphia, New Jersey or New York?

You don't go to Disney to dine. You eat just because your body needs nourishment of some sort or you want to see some characters. You go for the scenery. You can find food as good offsite if you have a vehicle. And forget those things they call beignets at POR. They are not beignets (lived in Louisiana for 21 years).

Former DC resident and unabashed food snob. We haven't done V&A as we have always gone with kids so I will review your other three.

I'm going to go against the common wisdom here and say I found Jiko very disappointing. The seafood curry tasted fine, but had very little heat, acid or "zip" to it--it's just a typical coconut curry sauce like you can get at any thai place. The wagyu steak was okay, but it was definitely some sort of lower grade wagyu as it did not have that silky feel I expect for wagyu. The bread service was actually the best and most inventive part of the meal, though, so I highly recommend that. For a similar "theme" and MUCH better food, IMO, I recommend in Tiffins in Animal Kingdom.

The food at CRT is pretty dreadful (think catered food at work conference event), but the castle experience is very fun. If it is more about meeting the princesses and not as critical to be in Cinderella's castle, I would consider a change to Akershus. The Norwegian food is always quite tasty, and the appetizer buffet has a lot of really delicious seafood, cheese, charcuterie, and interesting salad options.

Agree you will think BOG is pretty meh, but the castle is very fun to explore.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food
BOG might disappoint. Also, don’t order pizza.

Born and raised in NYC. We eat at all kinds of places at home. Some food at Disney is better than stuff I've had here, some are worse. It all just depends. I think Disney tries hard to balance needing to provide interesting options for food focused people along with things that appeal to the blandest palate.

Someone compared the food at WDW to what you'd find at Great Adventure - this isn't close to being accurate. Some quick service items might be similar, but WDW offers an extremely varied assortment of table service restaurants, some even with seasonal menus.

I also like that this thread has surfaced three common misspellings of Jiko all in one place. Jikos, Jiko's and Jinko.

I compared the foods at MK not WDW to Great Adventure's, in part because whatever ethnic cuisines both parks sell are watered down versions as far as seasonings and quality of ingredients. I can certainly understand that given the overall price point but not the amounts of salt and sugar frequently used.
Much to pick and choose from at other parks but have not had the same success at Magic Kingdom. I do like the Dole Whip there though so I wont starve. I don't consider "Jiko's" a misspelling just being possessive;).

I don't consider "Jiko's" a misspelling just being possessive;).

Yeah I am really anal about this stuff. There is no possessive form of a restaurant name. Unless the owner of the place is named "Jiko" and "Jiko's" is shorthand for something like "Jiko's Place". The restaurant itself can't possess anything. It's the same when people call 'Ohana "Ohana's" - stuff like that drives me nuts.

Edit:// speaking of Disney food prices...since NYC cost of living is high and I'm used to seeing it/even willing to spend a bit more on food while on vacation, how do other ppl not from big cities/wealthy suburbs view this?? I would be completely shocked at Disney food prices, especially when most of the food is considered to be "average". Every meal would be like a huge splurge!

I live about an hour away in the suburbs. I don’t make much money. To me, very nearly every food item, whether quick service or sit down, is crazy overpriced and it just seems greedy on Disney’s part to charge that much for food. I rarely eat out at home because it’s so much more than eating food from the grocery. Disney? I usually pack all my food and water, except for buying a popcorn refill sometimes. The exception is usually special occasions. A birthday or other celebration, or a Candlelight Ceremony package to get guaranteed seating. I’d say we do quick service 4-5 meals a year, often splitting a meal, and sit down 2-3 times a year. I typically visit 20-25 days over the year.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food

Jiko and V and A's won't disappoint, provided you get the right dishes. Believe it or not, however, the prices for what you get are even more outlandish than most NYC restaurants. So, while it may be good food, it's not always as worth the money as some of the better NY restaurants are, imo. Like most people are saying, try it. It is good food in most cases. If you are able, genuinely good restaurants (in addition to the ones you chose) include California Grill, Monsieur Paul, the Wave, and quite a few more.

We are from nyc and love the pizza at via napoli and Blaze
I’m unfamiliar with Blaze, but my family found Via Napoli to be fine. IMHO, it doesn’t compare to New York or New Haven pizza. We just had lunch at Modern Pizza in New Haven on Saturday. Pepe’s is our favorite.

If you enjoy Per Se, Eleven Madison Park or even Le Bernadin (my favorite places in NYC) and eat there frequently, I think you'll likely need to seriously temper your expectations.

PERSONALLY - I would keep the V&A's reservation and would dump Jiko in favor of Jaleo or the new Takumi-Tei offering at Epcot. Jiko used to be a favorite of mine, but after a third consecutive bad meal back in May it's off my list for a while. I'd rather eat at Tiffins in Animal Kingdom or Sana'a at AKL and then just have wine in the Jiko Lounge - the wine list is currently the only redeeming thing about Jiko. I'd eat at Jaleo every day if my money tree was verdant enough, though!

Monsieur Paul is another restaurant I think might be of interest to you - they offer both a la carte and a tasting menu. I'd suggest this in place of Jiko, though the menu has a chance to be very similar to Vic & Al's, so you might look through recent menus to see if that works.

My favorite is Cali Grill - the former head chef at Jiko is now head chef at Cali Grill - and I generally try to eat there each season when the menu changes. The ambience is fantastic, especially at fireworks time.

I can already guarantee CRT and BoG will be food disappointments for you, but you'll get to see the two castles so there's that.

If you're going for decent-to-good food with "theme" or a cool vibe - I'm a big fan of lunch at Biergarten in Germany at Epcot. I'd definitely pick that over Be Our Guest in a heartbeat. Spice Road Table in Epcot is another great spot for tapas, sangria and a cool patio - way better than burgers and chicken nuggets. The QS in Morocco is also pretty awesome (I usually get the slider trio), if you're looking for something light and non-traditional.

If sushi is your thing, the omakase at Morimoto is not to be missed, but Kimono at the Swolphin does late night sushi (and on happy hour too) that's really fresh and bright.

People rave about Flying Fish but I don't eat cooked fish, so I haven't tried there. Also, living in New Orleans I've now become really picky about shellfish preparation, so it's not a must-do for me ... but all my friends who go have had great meals there.

I would never, ever go somewhere for steak on Disney property. It's always going to be over - overcooked and overpriced.

Sad that Michelin has not seen fit to review V+A but putting that to the side I suspect you and yours will still enjoy the food, ambiance, and service at this eating establishment.

Michelin only looks at restaurants in four cities - NYC, Chicago, San Francisco and DC, so that's why Vic & Al's has never been considered for a star. It's usually a James Beard semifinalist for service, and occasionally a finalist. I can't remember recently if its been a semi-finalist for restaurant or chef.

Last edited:
I'm from DC and enjoy good food. Jiko is one of my favorite restaurants at Disney. Be Our Guest is an experience, but the food is very average. That said, it is fun to see inside the castle.

I don't think that's true for everyone. I'm from the DC area and currently live in Dallas, I've never had a single remotely bad meal at Disney. Every meal I've had has been above average to fantastic. The food is one of my favorite parts about going.

I am not really a foodie and can stomach just about anything.. i too have never had a bad meal at Disney but the only place i insist we eat at every visit is Via Napoli. i love their pizza. But other than that, all the places i have ate at are take or leave it places.. good, sometimes really good but not something i remember and not something i insist on eating at again on our next visit. The big draw back is the cost to sit down and eat.. its just not worth it IMO.. we will do 2 maybe 3 sit downs each trip, certainly not one every day so most of our meals are counter service and i have yet to have a counter service meal that makes me think, we got to eat here again...

That being said, there are several sit downs we have yet to eat at yet....

Even I don't eat pizza at Disney and I'm not from a "pizza city."
I guess I have low standards cause I actually love the pizza at Via Napoli. Its OUSTANDING! :cloud9:
Just dont eat at Tony's or any of the "pizza" places expecting italian food or pizza that tastes like what we get back home and you'll be fine ;)
I agree about Tony's. The worst restaurant on property hands down. Awful food. 🤢

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?
II Mulino at the Swan is a very good Italian Restaurant. (ex nyc person here). Raglan Road for Dinner is an excellent Irish Pub with live dancers and music located in Disney Springs (ask for a table with a view of the entertainment). Biergarten in Epcot has a buffet that is good not great but has an excellent setting and entertainment but you would share a long table with others.

PS. V&A is 5 star even in NYC. Jiko is an excellent choice also.

Last edited:
I guess I have low standards cause I actually love the pizza at Via Napoli. Its OUSTANDING! :cloud9:

I agree about Tony's. The worst restaurant on property hands down. Awful food. 🤢

I don't count Via Napoli. I had pizza there and I loved it. I meant the pizza you get everywhere else on property. It's terrible.

I don't count Via Napoli. I had pizza there and I loved it. I meant the pizza you get everywhere else on property. It's terrible.
oh heck ya! I dont eat pizza anywhere in disney except Via Napoli. :) Actually ive had wolfgang puck express and i thought that was pretty good. But Via is my fave. (and im not a fan of blaze pizza. Nothing special there).

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?
Been to V&A twice, been to most of the 3 Michelin star restaurants in NYC (Eleven Madison Park, PerSe, Brooklyn Fare, Le Bernardin, etc). V&A is not disappointing! My husband and I both loved the food.
The TS restaurants are all fine, but Jiko and California Grille are probably the top 2 I've been to.
Be excited to try V&A, be prepared to just be fine with most everything else you eat.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter