Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

DisneyKoyote

Mouseketeer
Edit: Updated my thoughts after visiting Disney! (Post #143 page 8)

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them, do disney food tours, or would go out of their way just to stop by a restaurant. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food?
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food

Edit 2: I think maybe I worded my concerns incorrectly. While I definitely got my answers (thanks to all the responses!), I also just wanted to clear up what my actual question was: There are plenty of terrible food in NYC (wouldn't be surprised if some of them were even rat infested haha) so I'm not saying NYC only has amazing food. I've seen lots of people being super excited for Disney food, going out of their way or paying extra to go back, telling everyone else they have to try it, etc- but is the quality of most of the "favorites" really that good, especially when compared to big city standards? Or just good for a theme park (but would be considered average outside of Disney)?

Last edited:
I couldn't afford to eat well when I lived in NYC....actually I probably can't afford to eat well now in NYC.

I don't think you'll have to worry about Jiko and V&A not living up to the hype.

I think Tiffins is good and the decor would be hard to find in NYC.

Is there better Mexican in NY, sure. But you can't eat Mexican food AND get a picture with Donald nearby in NY.

I would say yes. We like a lot of Disney restaurants, but are pretty picky about where we go and what we get after much more underwhelming food than not. Also, nothing is nearly as exotic, spiced, or spicy as it sounds, I find most of the food to be on the under spiced to bland side, so we go in with that expectation regardless of the description. That said, we manage our expectations and are still happy with the food most of the time.

Just dont eat at Tony's or any of the "pizza" places expecting italian food or pizza that tastes like what we get back home and you'll be fine ;)

Are you doing BOG dinner or BOG lunch? Those are two completely different experiences...

Are you doing BOG dinner or BOG lunch? Those are two completely different experiences...

yes!! BOG dinner was meh. Lunch has always been consistently better although I still miss the days when my turkey sandwich was served warm.

It’s all relative. I’m used to farm to table restaurants everything made in small batches, fresh, and in house and we still enjoy Disney, mainly the atmosphere ;) that said I’ve never had bad food or bad service that bothers have experienced

I'm from NYC and I'm not eating out at the fancy places every day. I find a varying level of "impressiveness" with the restaurants at Disney, the same as I do here at home. Do your homework first, go in knowing what you do and don't like, you'll be fine.

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?

Last edited:
I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.
Definite food "snot" in the house and gosh darn proud of it! :lmao:

This is my completely biased opinion of the food at WDW: It's surprisingly good with a special caveat for Magic Kingdom.
Just focus on your surroundings and get the simplest food you can find. This is the same food you can get at Great Adventures just gussied up. Enough said. At this point in our Disney comings and goings when visiting MK we eat at the nearby resorts.

We don't do much as far as counter meals/QS at WDW simply because I don't eat overly processed food much of anywhere. That being said we love the shrimp tempura udon noodle soup at Katsura Grill, the fish and chips at Yorkshire County, and the German style frankfurters (think Schaller +Weber's) at Sommerfest.

Great choices what with Jiko's and V+A on your list; never eaten at BOG.

@DisneyKoyote It's the best food you'll find in a theme park....sure there are some standouts (especially in world showcase). Skipper Canteens in MK has been well received because it's different than all the other park food.

ETA: The food snobs in my family who called the grand floridian the red roof inn, aren't ever disappointed by what they eat.

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare.

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?

I would say average if you are from Boston, average to above average Baltimore, below average Raleigh, way above average Juneau and possibly middle of the road for NYC.

;)

I am from NYC now moved but work in NYC and there is plenty of bad food in NY more so than good food. Price wise you will find Disney food to be better quality for the same price you would pay in NY and that is if you know where to eat... as if you don't you can easily pay 10 bucks for a frozen éclair out of box and 30 bucks for pasta from box with jarred sauce and frozen meatballs. Midtown is filled with places that you pay for food and atmosphere as you will find at Disney only Disney is less expensive. If you have a favorite corner hole in the wall restaurant/bar that serves great food that is a hard comparison. However comparing to SOHO, Tribeca, Hells Kitchen, what's left of Little Italy and the like where there is 2-5 overpriced places on every block most of which are a crap shoot as they change owners so fast of and 70% serve not so good food you will be very surprised. I will not even mention parts like Chinatown where I have some the worst food I have ever eaten but a number of good places mixed in.... If you are willing to pay up in Disney for the Signature places you will find similar to what you find in NY when you compare apples to apples including where one goes in NY for better food or better atmosphere as that is factor anywhere only Disney will cheaper.

OK, fine, I should write a real post with more substance than snark.

I really do believe that if you're accustomed to eating well in New York -- not expensively, just with care -- you will generally find the food at Disney World to be mediocre. That's the case for just about any big U.S. city in 2019. There are phenomenal local restaurants all over the country now in numbers that were unimaginable a decade ago. It's an incredible time to eat.

The dining on Disney property has also improved in that span, dramatically in some cases. But there are few places that you would reasonably choose over a joint with similar cuisine in New York. It's simply a volume issue. The restaurants in Disney World are corporate-driven, not chef-driven. It's impossible for them, with that much demand and that much oversight by a giant company, to deliver anything close to the quality of an independently owned urban restaurant.

There's nothing wrong with that, by the way. It doesn't mean Disney's food is bad. In fact, some if it is quite good: Sanaa is a solid. Spice Road Table has good small plates. I've had good experiences at Morimoto Asia. But I'm aware of the limitations. I don't travel to Disney World to eat. There are plenty of better choices for that.

(That said, the dining scene in the city of Orlando is booming right now, and I'd consider checking out a few places if you're looking for a good meal!)

I am from NYC now moved but work in NYC and there is plenty of bad food in NY more so than good food. Price wise you will find Disney food to be better quality for the same price you would pay in NY and that is if you know where to eat... as if you don't you can easily pay 10 bucks for a frozen éclair out of box and 30 bucks for pasta from box with jarred sauce and frozen meatballs...
Super useful info! Generally location in NYC doesn't bother me (we go everywhere). We usually use yelp and only hit up spots that are 4 stars or higher, or were recommended by articles online. Had too many terrible experiences with lower ratings (whether food or services). The amount of eating out sounds excessive...but most of my friends are in finance where the Company pays for dinner if they work late, which ends up happening quite often.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter