• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

Fellow NYer, hello! I agree with the gist of what PP have said. We are at WDW now and my husband and I just ate the best meal of our trip so far- at Art Smith’s Homecoming in Disney Springs. It’s our first time at the restaurant, though the chef we spoke with said that Art Smith owns a place in NYC near Grand Central. The food was delicious and I’d recommend it.

We ate at BOG (our second time), because we couldn’t figure out where to eat in MK. There isn’t anywhere that interests us or has strong enough reviews. BOG will underwhelm compared to what is available in NY delis and diners (for lunch)- which is what we had this trip.

Check out the Disney Springs restaurants. There are so many to choose from that you may enjoy. Plus, Wine Bar George and the Hanger may interest you as well. Have fun!!!!

Last edited:

So glad you responded as I've a sideways question for you- what is your opinion of the Polite Pig? Haven't eaten there and I don't like the food at Flame Tree even though they give really large portions. TIA!
To me it is what Yankees think is barbeque and it is not good however I had some retired Marine friends from Michigan who ate there maybe 3 weeks ago and loved it so much they ate there 3 times.

To me it is what Yankees think is barbeque and it is not good however I had some retired Marine friends from Michigan who ate there maybe 3 weeks ago and loved it so much they ate there 3 times.
"Yankees"??? Who uses that term in 2019?🤣🤣🤣Im almost 50 and I think I only hears that in "Gone with the Wind" or in reference to a baseball team....plus, Ive tried barbeque from all regions and they all have good qualities, its just a matter of taste, right? I ate at the infamous Franklin in Austin and was underwhelmed, but others line uo for 6 hours.

Fellow NYer, hello! I agree with the gist of what PP have said. We are at WDW now and my husband and I just ate the best meal of our trip so far- at Art Smith’s Homecoming in Disney Springs. It’s our first time at the restaurant, though the chef we spoke with said that Art Smith owns a place in NYC near Grand Central. The food was delicious and I’d recommend it.

We ate at BOG (our second time), because we couldn’t figure out where to eat in MK. There isn’t anywhere that interests us or has strong enough reviews. BOG will underwhelm compared to what is available in NY delis and diners (for lunch)- which is what we had this trip.

Check out the Disney Springs restaurants. There are so many to choose from that you may enjoy. Plus, Wine Bar George and the Hanger may interest you as well. Have fun!!!!
Yes, you WILL be underwhelmed. Im from Chicago and have dined at top US rated places here and all over the country, plus I come from a family of professional cooks.

I got to wdw for atmosphere and aesthetics. Im not expecting my taste buds to have an epiphany....that being said, if that is what YOU go in to expect (atmosphere), you will have fun. In November we are going to LTT (family tradition & my adult kids are history nerds),Skipper Canteen (want to see Lilian Disneys butterfly collection),Homecoming (to compare my award-winning Hummingbird cake to his)Sci Fi (another family tradition) and Tusker House breakfast to goof off with Daisy. In 6 trips to wdw (11 my whole life) and 3 to DL as a family, weve eaten at ALL the biggies. BOG lunch made me sick (only time at wdw),Narcossesses was great due to an amazing server, and Le Cellier was great in 2005 but never after...never ate pizza at wdw. The thing I miss the MOST is the fresh made caramel corn tub at Sleepy Hollow! 100% comparable to Garrets in Chicago and was a steal at $7!

"Yankees"??? Who uses that term in 2019?🤣🤣🤣Im almost 50 and I think I only hears that in "Gone with the Wind" or in reference to a baseball team....plus, Ive tried barbeque from all regions and they all have good qualities, its just a matter of taste, right? I ate at the infamous Franklin in Austin and was underwhelmed, but others line uo for 6 hours.
I was born in rural Appalachia we did not even get electricity until the year I was born 1960. And you are right about the different kinds of barbeque. I also enjoy Memphis and Carolina styles. As for the Yankee thing you should have been in one of my platoons. I had some kids actually stop and stare at me when I called them (one word) goddamnyankees. Ah the joys of The Corps.

I'm from NYC and a total food snob. What I'd say is: yes and no.

Maybe it's because we've gone so. many. times... but I've found some things I love and others—that people tout as amazing—I've found as "meh."

I personally don't like any of the pizza in Disney. Actually, one of the better slices I had was at Enzo's in Disney Springs. I think Via Napoli is very overrated and overpriced. Sorry if that triggers anyone. Same with Italian food, really. Best I've had was at Il Mulino, but you can kinda get that anywhere. Had it in Vegas, I've had it in NYC, etc. (See my take on Ample Hills below).

Even as a snobby New Yorker, there are a few food spots that stand out: Homecomin' (best fried chicken I've ever had), Narcoossee's, California Grill (both for ambiance and service), Polite Pig (love BBQ and this is among the top I've had),

For me, well before I moved to Brooklyn and Whole Foods started carrying it, a place like Ample Hlls was a "MUST DO"! The ice cream is really good and creamy. You can feel your blood slowing down as you eat it. Now? I can get it anywhere so it kinda eliminates the magic. I'd much rather have a bowl of Edy's ice cream at Beaches and Cream and enjoy the theatrics.

You'll need to accept that every meal won't be memorable, but that's why I recommend looking into well-themed restaurants that best represent Disney.

You'll need to accept that every meal won't be memorable, but that's why I recommend looking into well-themed restaurants that best represent Disney.

This is such a good point. What makes Disney dining special is pretty much never the food; it's the themes. I couldn't care less that the Mexican food at San Angel inn is bleh, because I was blown away with the setting. I can get good food at home, but I can't get that transportative effect you get from the Imagineering at Disney restaurants.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them, do disney food tours, or would go out of their way just to stop by a restaurant. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food

While I get your question having been to NYC multiple times, no matter where in the U.S. you may go, a lot of dining experiences don't match what is available to you in Manhattan. With that being said, being in Manhattan doesn't hold a candle to being in WDW.

While we do enjoy our meals at disney, we don't hold them to the same standard as other restaurants. It's not to say we don't care and don't expect much but we are there for the parks and the atmosphere and service, not the food exclusively, the food is a just a bonus.

All your ADR's are great to excellent meal choices (other than BOG and Cinderellas Royal Table). They aren't bad, but they are not the same caliber of food as Jiko and V&A. And V&A is really a class of its own. As far as any quick service meals you may have, the sticker shock may be a moot point coming from the city and in some cases may be cheaper at WDW 😆 But in all seriousness, you'll have a blast and you've got some great food ahead of you. Enjoy!!

Is there better Mexican in NY, sure. But you can't eat Mexican food AND get a picture with Donald nearby in NY.

I'm from NYC, now in Chicago for 16 years, and there's way (way) better Mexican food here in Chicago, by far, than in NYC or WDW. (I cringe when I think about what I used to consider good Mexican food when I still lived in Brooklyn.) That said, I'd still eat anywhere in the Mexican pavilion in World Showcase. Just being at Disney counts for a lot. You kind of have to manage your expectations. The food is much better than Six Flags. (Ewww--I'm looking at you, Great America.) But not necessarily as authentic as it might be in the "real world." (Sometimes it is.) If you can deal with eating with your suburban friends at Olive Garden, you'll be just fine and surprised when TS is better than that. But I do think it's a little silly to expect that WDW dining is going to be competitive with world city dining. That's just kind of setting oneself up for disappointment. WDW dining is kind of on its own terms.

I’ve had some lousy meals so in NYC too
Of course, some of my most terrible meals were also in NYC hahaha (this is why I rely heavily on yelp!).

My concern isn't whether ALL NYC restaurants are better than Disney- that is impossible and not anywhere close to realistic expectations. But more so when people are raving heavily about a Disney restaurant (it's so good, will go out of my way to go back to it, etc), is it really that good in terms of big city standards? Or just when compared to other Disney restaurants it's considered a standout? Like if you plopped a Disney favorite such as Jiko or Tiffins in a big city, would the food would suddenly just be average?

That's all I meant by the post. Of course terrible food exists everywhere. Wanted to level set my expectations cause I keep hearing how this/that Disney restaurant is amazing. It seems like the consensus is the food quality is all over the place even at the popular places (outside of V&A of course lol), so will definitely make sure to set expectations depending on the place I go.

Last edited:
New Yorker here who has done 2 food-focused WDW trips in the past 2 years. I really enjoy the food, but there are caveats.

WDW food is generally aimed at the whitest, least interesting audience possible. People sometimes get very defensive when you say this, but the evidence is everywhere. Even things that sound exciting and/or diverse have been dumbed down to the most extreme point, as others have noted. It’s kind of embarrassing.

I find the best food is at the resorts/Disney Springs, where things are allowed to get a little more creative. I loved Sebastian’s Bistro, Jiko, and Jaleo on my last trip. There are also more unique options at the Epcot food booths and at several places in Animal Kingdom.

I’ve had success at Epcot asking “What on this menu would you order to be reminded of home?” or “What item do you wish more people would order?” at places beyond Epcot.

Another useful one if you’re a drinker: “What’s the best and least sweet cocktail on this menu?”

Most of the best known restaurants at WDW serve mediocre, whitebread nonsense. But if you go in thinking of them as experiences first, you’ll still have a good time. Just know you’re usually not paying for food quality.

That being said, the Italian food is a horrifying garbage fire across the board. And don’t get me started on the bagels...

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them, do disney food tours, or would go out of their way just to stop by a restaurant. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food?
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food

Edit 2: I think maybe I worded my concerns incorrectly. While I definitely got my answers (thanks to all the responses!), I also just wanted to clear up what my actual question was: There are plenty of terrible food in NYC (wouldn't be surprised if some of them were even rat infested haha) so I'm not saying NYC only has amazing food. I've seen lots of people being super excited for Disney food, going out of their way or paying extra to go back, telling everyone else they have to try it, etc- but is the quality of most of the "favorites" really that good, especially when compared to big city standards? Or just good for a theme park (but would be considered average outside of Disney)?

Being from NYC is not the only place that would make the WDW restaurants underwhelming! There are lots of restaurants over the US that would beat out their restaurants in a heartbeat. Being from Louisiana, there are lots of restaurants that just cannot be beat, but we still enjoy eating at Disney. Being in the 'Magic Bubble' and the ambiance gives the very high priced food a special 'flavor'!! :D

So, yes, a lot of it would be average (or less) outside the Bubble compared to any standards, but there are some places there with excellent food. That's our opinion anyway.

ETA: After going back and reading some of the posts, I'm quite convinced, as always, that quality of restaurants is in the individual 'mouth' of the diner! There are food snobs for every restaurant at Disney, and elsewhere. Just go with an open mind and enjoy your trip and dining adventure - don't have preconceived notions from what you hear from others - there will never be a 100% for any restaurant - anywhere!!

Last edited:
LOL, don't bother making any ADR's (or cancel the one's you have) the food is horrible compared to NYC standards, the rest of us will just have to suffer at those substandard restaurants. The only saving grace is we will won't know difference.

On another note if we can get everyone from Chicago, NYC, or other large city to forgo eating at table service restaurants that should make it easier for the rest of us to secure ADR's. spread the word.........

New Yorker here who has done 2 food-focused WDW trips in the past 2 years. I really enjoy the food, but there are caveats.

And don’t get me started on the bagels...
Hah! And don't get me started on those freakishly large bagels too many now sell here all made at the same mutant bagel factory. And and where the heck are the bialys and hand made kasha knishes?!? Glad there are some younger bakers trying to relive the glory days but wish they weren't so far away from beloved and established purveyors of expertly hand cut lox, chopped liver, herring in cream sauce and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter