Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

OK, fine, I should write a real post with more substance than snark.

I really do believe that if you're accustomed to eating well in New York -- not expensively, just with care -- you will generally find the food at Disney World to be mediocre. That's the case for just about any big U.S. city in 2019. There are phenomenal local restaurants all over the country now in numbers that were unimaginable a decade ago. It's an incredible time to eat.
Thank you, your post makes so much sense! Ive read stories about people going to Disney for a "dining tour" or going out of their way to go to Disney restaurants. Perhaps I got too caught up in those stories...

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?

Sad that Michelin has not seen fit to review V+A but putting that to the side I suspect you and yours will still enjoy the food, ambiance, and service at this eating establishment. Is it Daniel? Le Bernardin? No but some of the staff from the FL place have worked with Mr. Ripert and it shows:). As far as price considering the amount of courses, length of meal think it's running neck and neck with at least Daniel. It's a once in a while dining experience much as the NYC locales.

As far as walk ups to the DisneyWorld table service restaurants have a care; it might not be as simple as you think for the more popular places. I make ADRs for certain on site restaurants (2-5 depending on the trip's length ). When desiring a less regimented trip I make same day reservations and do walk ups at Disney Springs which has a large concentration of quality restaurants at different price points. Download the app for opentable. com and you'll find it simple to eat at DS.

Last edited:
Ah, yes...i guess? I have relatives in NYC, dont really think the food there is any different than my old home of L.A.
I dont care where you eat..no meal is worth some of the prices in NYC or L.A. or WDW/DL We just stick with mostly counter service and are very happy with that.
All in all, Disney food is what it is...theme park food. Just better.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food? I know the phrase "NYC people are food snobs", which I never took seriously but realized it was kind of true on my last trip. Went to a couple of restaurant that were at least 4 stars on yelp- but to me and my friends it was so average that there's no way it could've been above 3 stars in NYC.
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food
Well if you don’t find the food at those just super, then you can’t be helped my friend. V&A and Jikos are impressive. Enjoy your trip!!

While we don't live in NYC, we live in a city that has excellent restaurants. The city is very ethnically diverse so we have a wealth of options at a variety of price points. We aren't food snobs but we like well made and seasoned food that hasn't been frozen. With a few exceptions, we aren't impressed with the food at WDW. I'm not saying it's all bad; we just haven't found WDW to be the food mecca so many Disers claim it is. DS might be a different story though.

Super useful info! Generally location in NYC doesn't bother me (we go everywhere). We usually use yelp and only hit up spots that are 4 stars or higher, or were recommended by articles online. Had too many terrible experiences with lower ratings (whether food or services). The amount of eating out sounds excessive...but most of my friends are in finance where the Company pays for dinner if they work late, which ends up happening quite often.
I'll be honest with you I think you might be underwhelmed if you're travelling with that sort of crowd and have expectations. Having said that I haven't eaten in V &A or Jinko.

I'm from a burb of NYC and am in accounting and have been treated to nice dinners on the company dime at the higher end steak places and various others as well. I haven't been to the super high end restaurants either. However, I was a bit underwhelmed by some of Disney, with the bigger disappointment being BOG at dinner. I think you need to temper your expectations to what some of the folks here have said.

I don't quite subscribe that an out of town 4 star is a nyc 3 star, there is good food everywhere. I do think that NYC has a plethora of restaurants in the high end that if you're used to that, you will be disappointed in normal restaurants in other places. I also think that some places do some types of food better and there is a sliding scale depending on where you are. Throwing examples of seafood from a coastal town compared to flyover country, Italian food in NY vs almost anywhere, BBQ from southern locals compared to a lot in the north. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but as a general rule, that 4 star BBQ restaurant in boston is likely closer to a 3 star in Austin.

For Disney, from one NYer to another, don't order italian food, don't order pizza, don't have a bagel, don't expect a farm to table experience and you'll likely be pretty happy.
I have had good experiences in Saana and Homecomin. I've had a good lunch at BOG. However if you want o know my favorite "dining" experiences in Disney are BOMA and the Hoop de doo revue.
You can enjoy food at WDW, there are plenty that is good, but don't think you're doing a wine and food tour of Napa.

BOG lunch. Although I've set the expectations lower for BOG (since people have said the food there is average). Mostly wondering about Jikos and Victorias & Albert. I kept mentioning all the awards that Victorias & Alberts have received hahaha. But my friends have been to multiple Michelin star restaurants (as have I- for special occasions only) and since Victorias & Alberts isn't Michelin rated, I'm not sure how to compare. Especially since V&A is extremely pricey too- more so than some of the Michelin restaurants I've been to

Aside from the ADRs, the other days we're probably just going to stop in random restaurants and see if we can do walk ins (don't want a super strict schedule at Disney), so was wondering if TS food is generally average to above average? I know based on this forum, some are amazing while others are huge misses, but would the majority be considered average/above average for someone from NYC?

I don't know how I skipped over the Jiko V&As question in my previous reply. V&As is delicious, and a fantastic experience, although we have not been back since they switched to the current chef's menu service, we have been to several Michelin rated restaurants in the NYC and San Francisco area and we are always impressed with V&A. Jiko is my favorite restaurant in WDW, love the wild boar appetizer, the bobotie mac and cheese, and the fish dish with the tomato-butter sauce, the South African wine selection is delicious too.

I don’t think of myself as a food snob, but can’t say We’ve ever had an amazing meal at WDW. We’ve had plenty of nice meals at places like BoG, O’Hana, CRT, and Via Napoli (I’m not a NYer). We don’t do signature meals on our Disney vacations so those could very well be amazing. Everything we’ve tried is a theme park version of nice dining. Many of our meals are wirj characters for the kids and we don’t expect great meals there. We accept that and don’t mean to offend anyone here. It’s just that there aren’t any restaurants in WDW that I’d go to if they were in my home city. Disneyland on the other hand has some great meals at the parks and downtown Disney. When we go to WDW, we just keep perspective that we are there for the theme parks not gourmet meals. You will likely enjoy your meals very much, just don’t lose sight of what it is and you’ll be fine.

I don’t consider myself a food snob, but appreciate good food. There are lots of good restaurants of all types in my area. I also don’t think of a trip to Disney as primarily for the food experience, so maybe don’t expect as much as others do.

Unfortunately, there are many restaurants that don’t live up to the hype or their ratings. That goes for cities, small towns, anywhere, including WDW. And of course some is due to personal tastes and preferences, the place having an off night, or your meal choice maybe not showcasing the restaurant to its fullest.

So, just like anywhere else, not every food experience at WDW is going to be a stellar, memory for life one. Once in a while you will find something that makes you take notice though. And you just have to hope it as good the next time you visit!

I was born, raised, and still live in NYC. I have had some great meals at WDW and some disappointing meals at WDW. The only restaurant that has never disappointed me is V & A. My biggest problem with the restaurants at WDW is the lack of consistency. For example, I had an amazing meal at Yachtsman in early December 2018. I went back 3 weeks later to have the same meal with different guests on a separate trip and the meal was a disappointment. I have had amazing meals at Jiko, but had a really bad meal there once, and I have never gone back.

Enjoy V & A! It is worth the hype.

I'll be honest with you I think you might be underwhelmed if you're travelling with that sort of crowd and have expectations. Having said that I haven't eaten in V &A or Jinko.
Yes definitely think based on this thread I'll have to lower expectations a bit and switch up some of my reservations. Most of the threads and comments on DISboards led me to believe the food was really amazing. The prices of Disney food did not help either since they're just as expensive if not more so than NYC- which is already pricey imo- so would assume quality is up to par (but yes i understand the prices are jacked up because...Disney haha). We don't solely go to high end restaurants in NYC and enjoy plenty of cheaper/hole-in-the wall restaurants as well. Usually just whatever yelp reviews are good since it's widely used here and are generally accurate.

Edit:// speaking of Disney food prices...since NYC cost of living is high and I'm used to seeing it/even willing to spend a bit more on food while on vacation, how do other ppl not from big cities/wealthy suburbs view this?? I would be completely shocked at Disney food prices, especially when most of the food is considered to be "average". Every meal would be like a huge splurge!

Last edited:
Yes definitely think based on this thread I'll have to lower expectations a bit and switch up some of my reservations. Most of the threads and comments on DISboards led me to believe the food was really amazing. The prices of Disney food did not help either since they're just as expensive if not more so than NYC- which is already pricey imo- so would assume quality is up to par (but yes i understand the prices are jacked up because...Disney haha)
If I wanted to be on the foodie end...V&A, California Grill, Jaleo @ Disney Springs, and Jiko. Also enjoyable but not at the same scale, Morimoto, Wine Bar George, and Enzo’s Hideaway.

Truth said, the restaurants at Disney are muchly overpriced. However, lots of them are very fun to eat at & are just a Disney experience.

Like Garden Grill has the best sticky bun at breakfast & it’s a blast to eat with Chip & Dale.

San Angel Inn is pretty & dining under the stars is neat. But truthfully, we have Mexican joints in our town with better food at 1/4 th the $$...but I still like dining there.

BOG is ok so I wouldn’t expect to be really impressed if you are expecting excellent food.

We dined at CRT in April for supper one night. We went there just to take our granddaughters so they could eat at the castle. We had low expectations but were surprised that we actually liked our meals.
We don’t really wish to return anytime soon but it was fun to dine there.

Our favorite signature restaurant is CG. We enjoy the location & we love the food. I’ve never been disappointed in my meal there. I don’t know if I’d say it was fancier or better than a place like Ruth Chris steakhouse or suchlike but it’s really good.

Born and raised in NYC. We eat at all kinds of places at home. Some food at Disney is better than stuff I've had here, some are worse. It all just depends. I think Disney tries hard to balance needing to provide interesting options for food focused people along with things that appeal to the blandest palate.

Someone compared the food at WDW to what you'd find at Great Adventure - this isn't close to being accurate. Some quick service items might be similar, but WDW offers an extremely varied assortment of table service restaurants, some even with seasonal menus.

I also like that this thread has surfaced three common misspellings of Jiko all in one place. Jikos, Jiko's and Jinko.

I am in southern NJ, in farm country, 30 min from philly and 2 hours from NYC...philly has iron chef restaurants, plural...like Disney. I live with a foodie budding chef.

I am a picky eater raised on homemade Italian food...sun ripened jersey tomatoes, soups are never from a can, fresh garden veggies, and homemade desserts. Burgers are hand made, no frozen patties...

Disney food is *much* better then a traditional amusement park which has “cardboard” tasting and texture food. The only bad meal I had was getting ribs in animal kingdom. Flame tree was horrible. (gag)

I would avoid chain national restaurants in Disney. Disney Buffets are not bad, but they are buffets. We have eaten in V&A several times, including the Victoria room...I really enjoyed that experience.
My favorites were V&A, liberty tree, garden grill, Waves, Kona Cafe (I can not think of its new name?) teppanyaki, Brown Derby, and California Grill, be our guest gets high marks for me but I am a Beauty and the Beast super fan.

Some of the restaurants in Disney focus is not on the food, but the experience. Cinderella’s royal table is one example. You are going for the princesses, not the food. Chef mickeys is another example.

My biggest problem with the restaurants at WDW is the lack of consistency. For example, I had an amazing meal at Yachtsman in early December 2018. I went back 3 weeks later to have the same meal with different guests on a separate trip and the meal was a disappointment

we won’t eat at Yachtmans...unflavored steaks, poor service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter