Being from NYC--would I be underwhelmed by food at Disney?

Posters thought, I agree, Disney restaurants were much better 15-20 years ago. BUT not better for Disney. The better restaurants were empty, not literally but plenty of empty tables.

Disney decided to scale the restaurants down to appeal to more guests. Food, drink and even souvenirs were substantially standardized between restaurants/gift shops. Bean counters at work. The Disney Dining Plan encourages guests to dine more.

Disney decided DDP guests should be able to order (virtually) anything on the menu. DDP guests aren't limited to a small menu. They get the entire menu with very few up-charges.

Restaurants are paid around $40 for a ne credit table service meal. That includes an adult beverage, entree and dessert. Regardless of the price on the menu guests are getting a $25-$30 entree.

Restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin are generally considered better then Disney restaurants.

I'm super excited to go to all the restaurants in Disney (first timer!) as I hear how much people love them, do disney food tours, or would go out of their way just to stop by a restaurant. But I realized recently that being from NYC, am I bound to be underwhelmed by the food?
My friends are coming with me on this Disney trip (also from NYC), and I'm so hyped up about everything related to the trip. I talk about all the cool things there are (since I researched/planned everything), but I'm worried I may be overselling them on the food and they'd end up being disappointed.
FYI I've booked ADRs at Jikos, Victorias and Albert, and BOG.

Edit: forgot to add I have an ADR at Cinderella's Royal Castle too, but that is more for atmosphere than food

Edit 2: I think maybe I worded my concerns incorrectly. While I definitely got my answers (thanks to all the responses!), I also just wanted to clear up what my actual question was: There are plenty of terrible food in NYC (wouldn't be surprised if some of them were even rat infested haha) so I'm not saying NYC only has amazing food. I've seen lots of people being super excited for Disney food, going out of their way or paying extra to go back, telling everyone else they have to try it, etc- but is the quality of most of the "favorites" really that good, especially when compared to big city standards? Or just good for a theme park (but would be considered average outside of Disney)?

It's a theme park, so don't go expecting 5 star restaurants (except V&A). It has adequate to good food for a theme park, but we are not "foodies". I think you will be okay if you don't expect too much. Have fun!

I'm from NYC area and I've had plenty of good meals in NY but, the best eating trip I have had hands down was spending 5 days in New Orleans. if it wasn't for the heat and humidity, I'd be a resident. Everything from Emerils restaurants, District Donuts and Sliders, the Cafe Du Monde, a bunch in the Marigny, to the new orleans school of cooking was fantastic. There were so many other ones that I wanted to try while I was there.

District Donuts is literally three blocks from me on Magazine ... I'm very positive that Cause of Death when I die will be "Too Many Candy Bar Donuts".

Disney food is not great dining by any means. It straight forward not season very well food. Italian food is like Olive Garden type food. It just bothers me that they hire culinary school graduates. So Disney has the talent to do better with there food.

I'm from Cleveland Ohio and now live in Canton Ohio (home of the Pro Football HOF). I don't have to live in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston or anywhere else to know and understand what good food tastes like. I've had pizza in NYC that I love and I have had pizza in NYC that was terrible. I have had steaks in Chicago that were disgusting and I have had steaks in Chicago that were great. I have had clam chowder, crab cakes and lobster in Boston that was great and I have had chowder, crab cakes and lobster in Boston that was awful. I have had great pizza, steaks, clam chowder, crab cakes and lobster in Cleveland and I have had terrible pizza, steak, clam chowder, crab cakes and lobster in Cleveland.

I say all that because I do consider myself a foodie and have had amazing food in NYC, Chicago, Boston, LA, Dallas, Toronto and my hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. Overall my opinion is that the 1Ts restaurants, for the most part, are just ok (Ohana, Coral Reef) with a few that are not so good ( Plaza Restaurant, most of the buffets) and a few that are pretty decent ( Raglan Road, Chefs de France, Sanaa). As a whole, I would say that most of the 2Ts are pretty good with a few that I personally don't rave about ( Le Cellier & HBD). There are a couple that I think really stand out in service and food with Jiko and Flying Fish. And of course, the creme de la creme of all the restaurants in WDW is Victoria and Albert's. This place is just one of the best restaurants in the United States and was voted #2 in the US by Trip Advisor. V&A was on my bucket list and I'm glad I got to experience it a couple of years ago. It was one of the finest experiences I have had anywhere including the great cities of Chicago, NYC, Boston, LA, and my hometown of Cleveland.

Disney food is not great dining by any means. It straight forward not season very well food. Italian food is like Olive Garden type food. It just bothers me that they hire culinary school graduates. So Disney has the talent to do better with there food.
closer to Pizza Hut quality JMO
buffets aren't much better then Golden Corral.

We are from Philly - The only thing we aren’t trying or interested in food wise, is Italian. Otherwise take a look at some Disney Food Blog YouTube videos for color and info about some of the “better” places.

Really interesting discussion. @DisneyKoyote I hope you have a great first trip (so exciting!!) and I hope you'll either come back here and tell us how it went and what you thought about the places you dined or maybe even do a full-blown dining review? :flower3:
Haha of course! But I won't be going until November so there's still a good chunk of time in between. Super excited though :D

District Donuts is literally three blocks from me on Magazine ... I'm very positive that Cause of Death when I die will be "Too Many Candy Bar Donuts".
So jealous on that, its a great area, lots of cool shops over there on Magazine. I loved that area and over on Frenchman street

oh yes. Disney is only able to accommodate the millions of visitors by using food-service quality food. it's like hospital cafeteria food and you are only paying for the ambiance.

Funny...

When my family and I first started planning for our WDW vacation, the last thing on our minds was the food. With less than 90 days out, the food and restaurants in WDW are still in our rear-view mirror; sorry, but we're going for the park experience and atmosphere. If all you're going for is the food, then there are probably plenty of near-to-you eateries that can do it better for cheaper. Heck, if you're going just for the rides, the same could be said.

When it comes to Disney, it's all about theming and the park experience; this is something that they do like no other. Great food and rides can be had anywhere; it's the one-of-a-kind experience you have that's harder to find and appreciate.

You will not like the pizza, just sayin' and you may just say "you call this pasta" being from NY. Just remember it's a theme park. You may like some restaurants, others no. Just no.

Italian foods are like comedy movies... Way too hard to recommend.

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, might not be right for some..."

I'm from NYC area and I've had plenty of good meals in NY but, the best eating trip I have had hands down was spending 5 days in New Orleans. if it wasn't for the heat and humidity, I'd be a resident. Everything from Emerils restaurants, District Donuts and Sliders, the Cafe Du Monde, a bunch in the Marigny, to the new orleans school of cooking was fantastic. There were so many other ones that I wanted to try while I was there.
Commander’s Palace for Sunday brunch- an experience in dining!

There is nothing that makes be crabbier at WDW than when I pay WDW prices so meh to gross good. Unfortunately, I feel that way about most of the food there. I’m super finicky though. Hubby isn’t and he isn’t as down on it as I am, but given your options in NYC, I don’t think anything will wow you, but I could be wrong. 😘

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter