2022 Point Chart release date?

But 1BRs are in far less demand than Studios and 2BRs, and I'm sure part of that has to do with the point cost. So by demand, shouldn't 1BRs be less points than a studio? ;-)

When the first DVC resort was opened, the key was getting people to have a home away from home and the push for the 1 and 2 bedrooms.

At that time, studios slept 4 and that the big change was the full kitchen, etc.

Since the charts are built on the 2 bedroom equivalents for the most part, I am not sure they could ever make the studio to 1 bedroom difference close enough to even out demand.

I think the best we can hope for is that the fall starts to become a little more expensive to help out a little bit more.

yeah, that would be weird then. i guess i would say we are all just speculating on here and saying whatever we say. they wouldnt ever go below studios, but i get your point. ultimately, the point adjusters know the facts when members actually book and what they book and what inventory lingers. without any of us making it our job to audit the point adjusters, we just gotta go with the flow and hope any disruption to any of our individual wants and needs is minimal. i know that there is an interesting thread on here about what members think of one bedrooms and my thoughts were in the minority (like, the majority of the thread loves one bedrooms). but...i hear ya.
I would certainly book 1BRs more often if the points were lower. The frugal part of me just rebels (though admittedly, I *have* booked 1BRs, including just last Christmas). But when I started noticing that in many cases the 2BRs aren't THAT much more per night -- for example, in December before Christmas, the Studios at BRV/CCV are 15/16 points per night, but the 1BRs 30/34 points per night and the 2BRs are 38/44 -- we decided to start doing 2BRs when we travel with the kids. Sure, the 2BRs are still 8/10 MORE points per night, but I am getting more "value" for my points, the kids get their own room (I'm an early riser so not having the kids in the living space means I can get up without worrying about disturbing them), so if I have the points, I'll get the 2BR instead.

When it's just my husband and I, though, we would much rather a 1BR over a Studio, but sometimes we just can't bring ourselves to spend 2 to 2.5x the number of points as we don't really NEED the 1BR. We just like having the extra living space (and I like the whirlpool tub!). (For example, for a February trip, the studio at BRV was 18/21 but the 1BR was 37/42!

..but sometimes we just can't bring ourselves to spend 2 to 2.5x the number of points as we don't really NEED the 1BR.

This is us all the way. When the wife and I make our adult trips it's always in a studio. Every time we always say next time we'll get a 1B but then when it comes to down to it I just can't pull the trigger on so many more points when booking. Especially since our trips with the kids require a 2B (family of 6).

One bedrooms shouldn't cost over double the points as studios.
Maybe not, but I don't mind paying double n return for ease of booking (and the amenities of a 1 bedroom over a studio).

Personally, I hope they don't decrease the differential much, if at all. I'm not even sure they legally can reallocate across unit types.

If the one bedrooms were more realistic in point prices. There wouldn't be this squeeze on studios and one bedrooms available at all times.

Wellllll - this is why, when we invite our married Children to join us? We book TWO SEPARATE studios, at 11 months - home resort :).

The 11 month home resort advantage is absolutely WONDERFUL.... everyone else can take the leavings :). And yet another reason to "BUY, where you want to STAY" :).

Maybe not, but I don't mind paying double n return for ease of booking (and the amenities of a 1 bedroom over a studio).

Personally, I hope they don't decrease the differential much, if at all. I'm not even sure they legally can reallocate across unit types.
I agree. Not only do we get twice the floor space of a studio, we get the W/D, full kitchen, a place for my DH to read (with the door closed so the light doesn’t wake me up) while I sleep later in the morning, and a table to sit at while eating a breakfast that’s not microwaveable. That’s why 1 BR cost twice as much.

I agree. Not only do we get twice the floor space of a studio, we get the W/D, full kitchen, a place for my DH to read (with the door closed so the light doesn’t wake me up) while I sleep later in the morning, and a table to sit at while eating a breakfast that’s not microwaveable. That’s why 1 BR cost twice as much.
Agree with all of the above.. worth every point.

If the one bedrooms were more realistic in point prices. There wouldn't be this squeeze on studios and one bedrooms available at all times.

This has been said often and many were expecting a reallocation between 1BR and studios. At least, before the original 2020 point charts, when they tried to increase both studios and 1BR.
Legality a part (I don't think it would be legal), I don't think it would even be really desirable: double the space, double the points. If this principle is dropped, it would be in Disney's interest to build only studios or a vast majority of studios. People who now book 1BR or 2BR are already complaining for the limited quantity of larger units in the new Disneyland tower and the Poly wasn't the success people expected because of the lack of larger units. Stays at the DLR are probably shorter than at WDW, so a majority of studios there makes more sense. What if next WDW resort is 90% studios because it would allow to sell more points per sq.ft?

Here at BWV now. First time in a 1BR. In the past we have done a Studio for a 2 person trip or a 2BR for a family trip. This time we had to cancel a 2BR because our daughter and her husband did not feel comfortable taking themselves and our two young grandsons with us on a this trip. We tried to downgrade to a studio but none were available, so we booked a 1BR for myself and DW. I agree with you and @CarolMN it sure is nice to have the 1BR even given the point difference. Especially since this trip I have some online employment related activities I like to do late in the evening and my DW has some online employment related activities she likes to do early in the morning.

ETA: We are using extended 2018 banked points that expire on 11-30-20, which is why we splurged on the 1BR rather than lose the points, but DVC may have gained a 1BR customer for future reservations.

Last edited:
From the beginning, the key factor that has been used to determine ownership interests in, and total point differences among, the rooms at most the resorts has been the square footage of the rooms which has resulted in the 1BRs at a resort to appear to be expensive in relation to the studio and 2BR, i.e., you get that result because the 1BR is much closer in size to the 2BR than the studio.

That use of square footage as the key factor in determining ownership interests and points for each room is actually required by the POS's except for Poly (because of bungalows), CCV (because of cabins). and Riveria (the newby that changed and destroyed a number of rules contained in the prior POS's).

I wish they would just quit screwing with the points.

Hah...I used to think like that and then a studio week dropped for me in November and January from 87/85 respectively to 78/76. So, I scored 2 cheaper solo studio trips after that change, but in reality, I don't see the changes as benefiting members..

Went to look at booking Nov 2021 and I see my rooms have gone up to 90 points for that room in November 2021. This is a standard view BWV studio for Nov 1 for 7 nights. So, effectively it is 1 night more expensive. Weeknights are 12 and weekends are 15.

And, starting with 2020, because of what I think is walking, for the first time I wasn't able to get my nights at first availability. I got them by booking each night individually as people on their way to December trips dropped the days they didn't want, plus by using the wait list. Then canceled due to pandemic.

So, I'll either try to get what I'm accustomed to, or, I'll book a one bedroom for a few nights and stay offsite for a few more nights. One bedrooms are double in points. Gone up to 24 points from 20 points, so both room types got hit. Not consumed enough to 'walk'. I've got plenty of vacation choices and I'm no longer consumed by an interest in theme parks.

This is the first year (2020) that I've missed Food and Wine, and I survived. So, I can see myself skipping it again and just spending more time in January and February.

I've been in summer when I had to follow a school schedule and you can't make me go back to that. Not even for 1 point a night. If I'm going to sweat it will be at the beaches here, not in Florida.

I think people who were in the first wave of buyers in the first 10 years or so have gotten into a pattern of how they vacation and it's not likely they will change from season to season for a few points. It's easier to just modify the trip to a shorter one or if points are short, borrow, or buy a few.

Newer people coming in will consider how they vacation and buy contracts that mirror that, in cost and season. Some will switch to different seasons with life changes, empty nests, etc. There are lots of factors in what makes a person choose a time to vacation, not just adjusting a point schedule.

I'm with @BillPA - I wish they would just stop screwing with the points! Change up the new resorts and leave the ones they already sold us the way they are - other than the weekend reallocation which did make some sort of sense. Made it easier to actually book a week.

I don't see the changes as benefiting members..

Sorry but absolutely does. Spreading out demand means you can go when you want more likely.

Plenty of members would travel in summer as an example if it were cheaper than December.

I think people who were in the first wave of buyers in the first 10 years or so have gotten into a pattern of how they vacation and it's not likely they will change from season to season for a few points. It's easier to just modify the trip to a shorter one or if points are short, borrow, or buy a few.

Because points haven't changed. As they change and people lose 1-2 nights they will then look at possibly moving to another time of year and if it makes sense.

The problem with 1BR often being double the points of a studio, is that it’s not the case when they rent out cash rooms.

1BR are usually only about 50% more than studios. Thus, when paying cash, seems people are willing to pay about 50% more for the extra SF, kitchen, etc.

But this creates a situation where someone using points for a studio may get $25 value per point, while someone booking 1BR may only get $18 per point.
Arguably, someone who only books 1 bedrooms might not even save any real money long term with DVC.

IMO, points should be allocated in a way that reflects actual supply and demand. Pricing room categories in such a way that they book at similar speed.
But where every studio and every standard view room books at 11 months. While 7 months has tons of 1BR and preferredview availability... suggests the point charts often over-value 1BRs and preferred views.

Sorry but absolutely does. Spreading out demand means you can go when you want more likely.

Plenty of members would travel in summer as an example if it were cheaper than December.

2021 did cheapen summer vs December.

But any point reallocation will have winners and losers. But overall, I believe if the chart better reflected actual supply and demand, overall that would be a win for the DVC community.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter