2022 Point Chart release date?

I may be in the minority. I've done almost all those things because I'm big on value and saving money, but I refuse to go during the summer.

You don't have to go, but someone somewhere will go. They will shift their reservation from the high period to the low period. It will be beneficial for you if you're willing to spend more points as it will be easier to book reservations and possibly have lower crowds during the time that you want to go.

You don't have to go, but someone somewhere will go. They will shift their reservation from the high period to the low period. It will be beneficial for you if you're willing to spend more points as it will be easier to book reservations and possibly have lower crowds during the time that you want to go.
I know you are right, but I think the "shifters" are small in number compared to those of us who will just pay more to keep our current patterns.

I know you are right, but I think the "shifters" are small in number compared to those of us who will just pay more to keep our current patterns.

And both can help with availability in some way. When the big shifts from weekends to weekdays was done 10 years ago there were plenty of people posting they'd now have to go a day or two less and the subsequent shifts since that time elicited similar posts.

Now I just wish the marketing brains at DVC would use their powers to bring back names to the seasons.

And both can help with availability in some way. When the big shifts from weekends to weekdays was done 10 years ago there were plenty of people posting they'd now have to go a day or two less and the subsequent shifts since that time elicited similar posts.
Very true. However, I don't remember noticing any change in availability. The usual times and booking categories were still difficult to get. Some adjusted, of course, but for me at least, it was about as noticeable as taking out a few swimming pools' worth of water from the ocean. But I don't have the data. Maybe DVC saw the impact.

Very true. However, I don't remember noticing any change in availability. The usual times and booking categories were still difficult to get. Some adjusted, of course, but for me at least, it was about as noticeable as taking out a few swimming pools' worth of water from the ocean. But I don't have the data. Maybe DVC saw the impact.

I did notice it. Weekends were getting to be always available but forget about making it a long weekend. I thought it was pretty bad before they made the change. It didn't actually affect us because we always had planned on weekends and weekdays and it just shifted but some of the Sunday-Friday people definitely reduced or shifted.

I did notice it. Weekends were getting to be always available but forget about making it a long weekend. I thought it was pretty bad before they made the change.

Agree. I think the 2010-ish reallocations went a long way toward balancing weekdays and weekends. But they've been slow to adjust for seasonal demand.

I'd be a shifter.
I usually go in September and January because it's cheaper, and I'll go in December in 2021 before it'll increase (I think) more.
I am flexible with my travel dates, so I look at the cheap seasons before booking.

It's math: even if no one shifts, if the same stay costs 20% more points, peole has to stay fewer days or go less often, freeing availability. Or they add-on, taking a contract from someone who is now priced out, freeing availability.

I don’t mind if they shift across seasons as I like to go at different times of year to enjoy the different events - hoping to try out flower and garden for the next trip. It would be great to even out demand across the year and I think that is good management.

However, I don’t like the criticism of people only wanting studios. While families are Disney’s target market, I have no plans to have children. Sometimes I travel solo. A studio allows more time at WDW which should be in their interest as it allows more time on site to spend money on dining etc. I haven’t seen the tower studios yet but I’m really pleased they built them. They look great for a solo trip and can’t be any smaller than rooms I’ve stayed in in Paris, London and New York. I hope Disney sees the demand for studios and keeps on that trend. I wanted to add on more points and love PVB and CCV but I’m not willing to buy at either due to the bungalow and cabin points increasing competition for smaller rooms.

It would be very frustrating if they keep upping the points required for smaller rooms to increase demand for the larger rooms. I also think Disney should start building all 1BR to hold 5 and just have 4 people in the studios. I find some of their decisions regarding the number of people rooms are designed to hold a bit strange.

Ultimately as owners we have very little control anyway but if studios become too expensive then I could easily sell up and just go less frequently by paying cash, probably at moderate resorts which are nice enough (deluxe without DVC is out of the budget).

It's math: even if no one shifts, if the same stay costs 20% more points, peole has to stay fewer days or go less often, freeing availability. Or they add-on, taking a contract from someone who is now priced out, freeing availability.
I don't disagree. I just don't think the number of Members willing to shift is very big and thus the effect on availability will not be particularly noticeable.

I don't disagree. I just don't think the number of Members willing to shift is very big and thus the effect on availability will not be particularly noticeable.
If everyone who currently go during the fall continue to go during the fall, then they'll have to stay fewer days or add-on. If they stay fewer days, then other may fill in those extra available rooms. So we might continue to see no availability at 7 months or even at 11 months minus one day for October, but that would be because other people have taken their place. So some availability has been freed, but it's true we may continue to not see availability because demand would still be high.

I often wonder how much fall studios would have to increase to make it as easy to book them in the fall as it is in the summer. :)

Sorry you are wrong.

If August was 1 point a night and December was 25 points a night for a studio you are not saying more people wouldn't be going in August.

There is absolutely a balance you can work towards slowly. Also it doesn't have to be perfectly even.

Summer is not just dead for DVC because heat but because of point charts being so much higher. Its why for cash Summer is much busier when people have more flexibility for travel.
this is the best post so far on this thread. i dont know how someone could say that "there is no workable" allocation that would even out the seasons. this is again like complaining about how expensive tickets are or dessert parties are or whatever...there is a point where enough of the membership will adjust when they book to fill the rooms. to say that most would still go in december at 1000 points per night when june is 3 points per night just isnt true. prices (and point premiums) continue to go up until demand equals supply. dvd's job is to fill the rooms, not keep each individuals "way it used to be" the same in perpetuity. tell your friends to quit going when you like to go and maybe your points needed will quit going up.

I wish they would reconsider points for 1Br - it seems very odd to me, for example, if a studio is 100 points and a 2Br is 300, the 1Br should be 200 Points - not the 265 points it currently is...it’s like 1Br are somehow subsidizing other size units...that said, I’ll always get at least a 1Br and always go in May and early December and sometime in the fall for Halloween...reducing or inflating the points needed during these times will determine number of days and also if I can add another trip or 2 a year in addition to my 3.

There's been a lot of DVC management that apparently thought the same and didn't want the membership flak and did nothing for too long. If nothing else it's really not appropriate to have a very very busy DVC time that costs those members who visit then a lot less than members who visit during slower times. And even if it's a small shift of members it might at least keep in neutral or improve it slightly vs let it continue to get worse and worse.

I wish they would reconsider points for 1Br - it seems very odd to me, for example, if a studio is 100 points and a 2Br is 300, the 1Br should be 200 Points - not the 265 points it currently is...it’s like 1Br are somehow subsidizing other size units...that said, I’ll always get at least a 1Br and always go in May and early December and sometime in the fall for Halloween...reducing or inflating the points needed during these times will determine number of days and also if I can add another trip or 2 a year in addition to my 3.
its all about demand. you are looking at it in a vacuum of "if x costs 1, xtimes3 costs 3, then xtimes2 should cost 2". rooms are not a sum of their square footage and bedrooms and bathrooms. each room is its own entity subject to the memberships demand on it. just because a 1 bedroom is (say) 40% larger than a studio doesnt mean it should only cost 40% more. if membership wants one bedrooms (say) 50% more than studios, thats more in line of how many more points it should take. its more complicated than that, but that gets the overarching point out in a couple sentences, haha.

its very possible for a 3 bedroom to be the same price as a 2 bedroom if literally no one ever booked 3 bedrooms or if a hotel just had way too high of a percentage of their rooms being 3 bedrooms. its all about how much supply there is and how much demand is present.

its all about demand. you are looking at it in a vacuum of "if x costs 1, xtimes3 costs 3, then xtimes2 should cost 2". rooms are not a sum of their square footage and bedrooms and bathrooms. each room is its own entity subject to the memberships demand on it. just because a 1 bedroom is (say) 40% larger than a studio doesnt mean it should only cost 40% more. if membership wants one bedrooms (say) 50% more than studios, thats more in line of how many more points it should take. its more complicated than that, but that gets the overarching point out in a couple sentences, haha.
Doesn’t stop me from hoping!

But 1BRs are in far less demand than Studios and 2BRs, and I'm sure part of that has to do with the point cost. So by demand, shouldn't 1BRs be less points than a studio? ;-)

But 1BRs are in far less demand than Studios and 2BRs, and I'm sure part of that has to do with the point cost. So by demand, shouldn't 1BRs be less points than a studio? ;-)
yeah, that would be weird then. i guess i would say we are all just speculating on here and saying whatever we say. they wouldnt ever go below studios, but i get your point. ultimately, the point adjusters know the facts when members actually book and what they book and what inventory lingers. without any of us making it our job to audit the point adjusters, we just gotta go with the flow and hope any disruption to any of our individual wants and needs is minimal. i know that there is an interesting thread on here about what members think of one bedrooms and my thoughts were in the minority (like, the majority of the thread loves one bedrooms). but...i hear ya.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter