2022 Point Chart release date?

I'm no expert in this at all, but the way I pictured it was that a unit contains a number of room, but not every unit contains the exact same amount of each room type, in which case it would be hard to make it balance. For example, if I own 0.0043% of unit 21 then that unit can't next year have more points than it did previously.
The only way that would work across the resort is if every unit contained exactly the same amount of each room type? Or is that the case?

Anyway, I'm taking this off topic. Sorry! :-)

(Oops, that was in response to Sandisw and it won't let me edit and quote!)

I'm no expert in this at all, but the way I pictured it was that a unit contains a number of room, but not every unit contains the exact same amount of each room type, in which case it would be hard to make it balance. For example, if I own 0.0043% of unit 21 then that unit can't next year have more points than it did previously.
The only way that would work across the resort is if every unit contained exactly the same amount of each room type? Or is that the case?

Anyway, I'm taking this off topic. Sorry! :-)

(Oops, that was in response to Sandisw and it won't let me edit and quote!)

There are many intricacies and yes, there is something to the unit piece but I think that is why it is such an intricate process because, as you said, some units may be one room, and others several.

However, they did make changes to SSR even as treehouses were added later,

The one aspect we know for sure is that a room can not go up more than 20% from the previous year for the same use day...minutes the special seasons that change with Thanksgiving and Easter.

We also know that the charts are based on 2 bedrooms and that is how you get the lock off premium, which doesn’t count as part of the balancing. But as we saw in 2020 it doesn’t appear to be legal that they can just raise how much that is with no limit,

It will be interesting to see if things stay the same or if they make adjustments to finish what was started last year.

If one time of year books at 8am 11 months and another lasts until 7 months the point chart is not balanced correctly.

I have argued, and will argue again, that you are never going to make the flop sweat of August have equal demand with early December even if you do wildly unbalanced point charts. There is no workable chart that makes August equal in appeal.

I have argued, and will argue again, that you are never going to make the flop sweat of August have equal demand with early December even if you do wildly unbalanced point charts. There is no workable chart that makes August equal in appeal.

Sorry you are wrong.

If August was 1 point a night and December was 25 points a night for a studio you are not saying more people wouldn't be going in August.

There is absolutely a balance you can work towards slowly. Also it doesn't have to be perfectly even.

Summer is not just dead for DVC because heat but because of point charts being so much higher. Its why for cash Summer is much busier when people have more flexibility for travel.

There’s a happy medium other than 1 point vs 25 points and that medium will ultimately be Fall Frenzy costing more points per night than summer.

Summer - because it’s flop sweat city - should be the DVC “cheap season” and Fall Frenzy - because of its appeal - should be premium season.

point costs per night highest to lowest:

Easter/Christmas
Nov 1 - Jan 10, except Christmas
Spring break Mar - Jun 10
Off seasons Jan 11- Mar; Sep-Oct
Summer Jun 10- Aug.

Summer should be “cheap”; Fall Frenzy should be within striking distance of Easter/Christmas.

I say that as a decided Fall Frenzy Fan.

Last edited:

The cure for walking is realistic point “pricing” in the current “busy” season.

I think cheap December points is what originally caused all of us cheapskates to gravitate to Fall Frenzy and the time of year (Fall celebrations) and weather made us stay here.

It’s a problem bigger than point reallocation because Fall Frenzy is so nice and we’ve all been trained very well.

That said, point reallocation is a start and I think that’s where it’s going.

Last edited:
The cure for walking is realistic point “pricing” in the current “busy” season.

I think cheap December points is what originally caused all of us cheapskates to gravitate to Fall Frenzy and the time of year (Fall celebrations) and weather made us stay here.

It’s a problem bigger than point reallocation because Fall Frenzy is so nice and we’ve all be trained very well.

That said, point reallocation is a start and I think that’s where it’s going.

I don't disagree with you. Still, even cheap, August. Ugh. No.

I'd go more in the summer months if the points were lower. We could easily enjoy the resort, a water park and DS in the 'cooler' evening. But DW prefers the cooler fall frenzy weather.

An interesting observation, from my brilliant wife....

"Why would DVC release 2022 point charts, very early?
- to keep people from selling existing DVC contracts."

It might shift some though and really it's not appropriate to require fewer points at very obviously busy times compared to less busy DVC times. Those who want to go in Dec and use very few points will argue otherwise but I don't know that there's a good argument to stand on for that when reviewing the entire system usage and membership.

My trip dates are always flexible, so I definitely pay attention to the points charts... but my hubby hates the heat and my body does not tolerate it well. If they made summer cheap and winter expensive, I’d just be looking for the “cheapest expensive” time I could find 😆

But I love Christmastime at Disney. Really love it. 😍 So, I think I’d always find a way (point-wise) to travel sometime Nov-Dec.

My trip dates are always flexible, so I definitely pay attention to the points charts... but my hubby hates the heat and my body does not tolerate it well. If they made summer cheap and winter expensive, I’d just be looking for the “cheapest expensive” time I could find 😆

But I love Christmastime at Disney. Really love it. 😍 So, I think I’d always find a way (point-wise) to travel sometime Nov-Dec.

And even if that's what everyone did it would mean a day or two less at that time for people if they were using all their points. That day or two less becomes a day or two that others can stay and when multiplied means more people getting rooms then who are looking to do that which also is a stress reliever on demand for that time.

Can they switch across room types like that? I thought after the previous time they tried that the general consensus was it wasn't allowed?

Long story short:
WIth the original 2020 point charts, they did 3 things:
a) timid rebalance across the seasons
b) increase of the lockoff premium (the premium to book a studio and a 1BR separately compared to booking a 2BR was increased)
c) reallocation across different unit type (for example, they decreased bungalows and cabins and increased studios and 1BR)

It's clear to everyone that a) is allowed and they did it later with the 2021 point charts

b) is in my opinion so blatantly illegal that they should be ashamed they even tried. It had never been done before and they haven't attempted to do it again (yet).

c) is in bigger contention. It has been done before in a few instances (SSR treehouses, room type reclassification like BLT theme park view to standard view, AKV savannah to standard), however they haven't done it again in 2021.
My interpretation of the contract and the Florida law is that it's not allowed. I think that if challenged in court there is a good chance DVC might lose the case and be forced to reconsider past reallocations too (and refund owners? I don't know). So they'll keep it quiet and not attempt it again.
Increasing the cost of poly studios and CCV non cabin rooms might cause a big outrage, I don't think they'll want to attempt that again, not now they know there are people ready to check the new point charts the second they're published.

Note that DVC said the 2020 point charts were completely legal but they rolled them back because of members feedback.
They said around 2 dozens people complained, I'll let you judge what are the chances that a Corporation like Disney would roll back a new policy that would grant them millions every year just because 24 people complained.

Last edited:
Summer should be “cheap”; Fall Frenzy should be within striking distance of Easter/Christmas.

I say that as a decided Fall Frenzy Fan.

Only go September because it's slow and only agree to go in January because it's cheap.

If August was the cheapest time of the year I easily would have no issue booking it.

I mean if people are willing to get sleep around points, book value studios, walk reservations, or anything else to save money they will easily change their vacation time.

An interesting observation, from my brilliant wife....

"Why would DVC release 2022 point charts, very early?
- to keep people from selling existing DVC contracts."

Well they have to because people will start booking 2022 dates in roughly 70 days at the end of January.

Only go September because it's slow and only agree to go in January because it's cheap.

If August was the cheapest time of the year I easily would have no issue booking it.

I mean if people are willing to get sleep around points, book value studios, walk reservations, or anything else to save money they will easily change their vacation time.

Well they have to because people will start booking 2022 dates in roughly 70 days at the end of January.
I may be in the minority. I've done almost all those things because I'm big on value and saving money, but I refuse to go during the summer.

The original DVC points charts (1991!) were built on the pricing seasons of cash resorts at that time. Summer, Christmas and Spring Break/Easter were the high demand, high price seasons. Fall was the least busy, least expensive season. It has simply taken DVC 25+ years (as well as the introduction and expansion of F&W Festival, MNSSHP, and MVMCP, etc.) to respond meaningfully to the changes in demand with changes in the points charts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter