Your Xmas Haul...

Great thread - love reading all the responses. Love the pickle story!! Not sure if it's a very good thing or a very bad thing that I haven't made it to Dylan's Candy Bar yet. ;)

I had to buy my new computer earlier in the month, so not many Christmas presents for me (I buy all my own) - just the Storybook cartridge and the new Harry Potter movie. But DsDs got me a gift, which is not typical, so that was very sweet - a bath product set kind of thing and a Minnie Mouse Pez dispenser. ;)

And DH did get me something awesome. I had mentioned that I wanted something but couldn't justify buying it so close to Christmas, so he took the money he was going to use for something else and gave it to me to buy what I wanted - a little gadget that converts slides and negatives into digital images. I have tons of slides of my mom's that I have been wanting to do something with and this is perfect. I've been playing with it and it is fantastic - pictures I've never seen before, including lots from before I was born. I had my Dad bring over all the old slides the other day - about 30 carousels full. It's going to be a fun winter wading through them all!

I loved reading everyone's wonderful gift lists (if you knew about it ahead of time or not ;) ) Sounds like everyone had a great holiday.

I got a pineapple from my step kids (I still haven't figured out why) and that's it.

Enjoy the rest of 2009 and get ready for an AWESOME 2010!!!

Well, I'm thinking at least they thought of you, and do you like pineapples? I'd be thrilled if I would have even gotten a hello or a thank you... but I got neither.(nor did DH).. Oh well! I'll keep trying...and they'll keep being themselves...

PamD-
we leave a pineapple every year for Mrs. Claus because she's as important in this whole deal as well. (bubb'a words) so your step kids must think you are important too!:goodvibes

Well, I like that idea.. Do you think you can text them and offer that idea up for next year????

It's been fun reading everyone's "take" and to hear the stories. Aren't pineapples a symbol for friendship and hospitality? Maybe it has a hidden meaning?

We cut way back on Christmas this year but I'm happy!

Dh got me the Harry Potter 6 dvd and a red ruana that I specified.

DD28:
cute top and the Star Trek dvd

DD 27:
a cuttlebug!

Parents
a top and a sweater

Niece (we do a draw name for Christmas with my IL's)
scrapbook paper, a card kit, and a page kit (she had no idea but really tried! more than I can say for some of the other gifts people got during the exchange)

Plus we had lots of stocking stuffers, including a starbucks gift card, candy, bath stuff, socks and tea.

Oh, and I got 3 scarves from people that I work with - good thing I like scarves plus they were all pretty!

Well, I'm thinking at least they thought of you, and do you like pineapples?

It's the thought that counts right? Considering they are 19 and 20 and we have lived together since they were 2 and 3. Oh well, we (all 5 of us) had the pineapple for dessert tonight. (I really don't care for pineapple unless its in a dole whip).

Thanks!

Great thread - love reading all the responses. Love the pickle story!! Not sure if it's a very good thing or a very bad thing that I haven't made it to Dylan's Candy Bar yet. ;)

I had to buy my new computer earlier in the month, so not many Christmas presents for me (I buy all my own) - just the Storybook cartridge and the new Harry Potter movie. But DsDs got me a gift, which is not typical, so that was very sweet - a bath product set kind of thing and a Minnie Mouse Pez dispenser. ;)

And DH did get me something awesome. I had mentioned that I wanted something but couldn't justify buying it so close to Christmas, so he took the money he was going to use for something else and gave it to me to buy what I wanted - a little gadget that converts slides and negatives into digital images. I have tons of slides of my mom's that I have been wanting to do something with and this is perfect. I've been playing with it and it is fantastic - pictures I've never seen before, including lots from before I was born. I had my Dad bring over all the old slides the other day - about 30 carousels full. It's going to be a fun winter wading through them all!

NEE, can you give me some info on the gadget? DH's parents have a ton and a half of slides and he called a place to find out how much it would be to put them on DVD, they said $1.25 each! For that price, we can just get a gadget!

Sounds like a lot of Merry Christmases!

I did all of my own shopping as DH is away. I did too much shopping.

Cricut carts: Paisley,Sweet Treats, TinkerBell, Old West, Designer's Calendar and Solutions cart Stamping

Cuttlebug A2 folders: spider web, snow flake, Morroccan screen, diamond plate, fleur de lis, mesh and the OMC everyday bundle and a quickutz one -- retro diamonds

2 nesties -- large scallops and dahlia

a year's supply of 12x12 mats and 2 sets of 12x24 mats

some packs of solid cardstock, an iris box, reminisce Christmas paper and some swimming themed paper, $20 in brads from both J's and Oriental trading (the free shipping deals were impossible for me to pass on)

My best buy was was the Bazzill 12x24 paper packs from OMC. I was at first reluctant to buy from them becasue the shipping was $20.00 :scared1: But with a 20% coupon code, and a large order, the coupon code covered the shipping. Also, the packs are 30 sheets each - -so that equals 60 sheets of 12x12 -- I'll spare you the math but including the shipping it comes to 48 cents per 12x24 or 24 cents per 12x12 -- that is a good price for Bazzill.

My dad gave me $100 card to ACM, and I think I have $40 in rewards coming:yay: My brother gave me $100 at J's. I hope they have some of the DCWV Christmas stacks left.

The boys shopped for me at the Secret Santa shop at school -- they got me a bookmark and a snowman box. DD made me a lovely pot made of clay - -it is pink and green and has swirls and sparkles. She said it is for holding scrapbooking things.

Oh! My dad also got me stuff to make chocolate martinis. And I bought myself both Glee soundtracks

NEE, can you give me some info on the gadget? DH's parents have a ton and a half of slides and he called a place to find out how much it would be to put them on DVD, they said $1.25 each! For that price, we can just get a gadget!

Sure - it's called the Wolverine F2D and I got it at BJ's for about $100 (google it and you'll find lots of reviews). I wouldn't recommend it for negatives - the colors come out way off, but for slides, the quality you get is as good as the quality of the slide itself. You might have to do a little post-scanning editing for dust, scratches, etc. but so far I've found that most of my images are fine as is. I actually found an online company that would do it for 29 cents a slide, but even that was a little steep considering how many I have. I do have a scanner, but then we're talking a huge amount of time chained to the computer. What I liked about this machine is it doesn't have to be attached to the computer - it scans to a memory card, so I can do it in front of the TV, at work, wherever. Also, it's super fast. Like less than 5 seconds per slide. I can do a whole carousel in a little more than an hour. It's not the most high-tech thing, but for what I want it for, it fits the bill.

Thanks for the report, NEE! For the past few weeks, since we saw the Wolverine in a holiday catalog, we've been talking about maybe getting one - I was hoping to hear that it would do a good job on negatives. That's what we have a LOT of going back many years...only one or two little boxes of slides. We're weighing that vs. just throwing the negs on our color scanner and seeing how that might work...

Although time consuming, I'm wondering if playing around with the colors in Photoshop might be fixes for the best of the negs after putting them through the Wolverine. (We might have to do that with any of the ones we'd color scan anyway...?)

I'd love to talk with you sometime later more about how it worked...and didn't...for you. Good luck with your project - sounds like it is moving along great for you! Congrats to your DH on his recognizing this as a great holiday gift!

From Ma:Down parascope, SHOES(hurray!),a lego set (police car), 3 suffed monkeys, a monkey necklace in a monkey shaped box,a panda bear,a soccer ball deordizer, a LPS monkey, Two pooping monkeys, two m&M men, a box of nerds and a pj top (tink of corse)
From Tia: Three new books (by my author HURRAY!!!)
From DC 9: Three little ducks (that she bought at the secret santa at school)
From DC 10: A flashlight
From Grandma: A ubs port, Night at the muesum on dvd, PJS and photos (she paid for my christmas pics to be devloped) and a pair of boots (that I found in her attic)
From Best freind: candles, a bath set and socks
From santa: Corline dvd, Jack sparrow ordment that TALKS!! A dvd with all the photos Ive taken in 2008 (up untill christmas), a monkey clipboard for my grocery list

To come yet:
Gift from other best freind (I left for home before Christmas and before she could finish my gift)
gift from Dad (even though hes been gone 9 years theres always a gift from him under the tree. There wasnt one this year....)

NEE- what a great gift. i saw one at Kohls last year at christmas time and wanted to buy it in the worse way and did not. now i'm sorry i didn't.
please update us on your project. i just love that you are doing it. :hug:

Is there a reason why it's a pineapple?
for three reasons.....one, because she is as important in getting all the stuff ready. two, because nobody leaves anything for her like they leave him food and drinks and why not her? and three, because when christmas is all over santa takes her to hawaii for a vacation because they have worked so hard all year leading up to christmas. and that's how he tells her they where they are going. and she gets a gift when he comes home!
so that's the story of the pineapple!

Well, I like that idea.. Do you think you can text them and offer that idea up for next year????

i will tell them. give me their #'s and i'll text away!

Thanks for the info NEE, I'll show it to DH and see if he thinks it will work for what he wants.

Ah, I'd like to get a pineapple if it were a clue to a vacation I was going on :)

Thanks for the report, NEE! For the past few weeks, since we saw the Wolverine in a holiday catalog, we've been talking about maybe getting one - I was hoping to hear that it would do a good job on negatives. That's what we have a LOT of going back many years...only one or two little boxes of slides. We're weighing that vs. just throwing the negs on our color scanner and seeing how that might work...

Although time consuming, I'm wondering if playing around with the colors in Photoshop might be fixes for the best of the negs after putting them through the Wolverine. (We might have to do that with any of the ones we'd color scan anyway...?)

I'd love to talk with you sometime later more about how it worked...and didn't...for you. Good luck with your project - sounds like it is moving along great for you! Congrats to your DH on his recognizing this as a great holiday gift!

I'll definitely talk with you anytime - it's something I've been researching and debating with myself for a long time, so I know a fair bit about the different options. I too have a ton of negatives, and once I make my way through the slides I'll start to really deal with those. I just went back and looked at the negatives that I did try - the ones that had great natural light to begin with - a sunny day or inside with lights on look pretty good - it's the ones in low lighting that will need a lot of post-editing. If you have a scanner that has a negative attachment and are willing to put in the time doing that, then I'd probably skip the middleman (Wolverine), but if not, then it might not be a bad idea. Compared to a new scanner, it's pretty cheap. If you want to try it out and see how it works, we can get together anytime.

NEE- what a great gift. i saw one at Kohls last year at christmas time and wanted to buy it in the worse way and did not. now i'm sorry i didn't.
please update us on your project. i just love that you are doing it. :hug:
Thanks for the info NEE, I'll show it to DH and see if he thinks it will work for what he wants.

If you'd like - I'll bring it on the 9th (we're still on, right?) and you can see it in action. It's tiny and easily portable.

I'm in for the 9th, but may have to leave a little early. I "won" a House Party for the Jenny McCarthy Wii game and am having a few peeps over to play and eat Jell-O Mousse, I may make it a little later, so I have time to come home and tidy a bit. You're all welcome to come as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter