Won't get a colonoscopy

I have had a few. Not a big deal at all. The prep is the worst. I threw up most of the prep last time, but was till able to do the test. I had to take dulcolax, I think, before the prep and that pretty much cleaned me out. The prep made me so sick, but I must have had enough because they told me that as long as it's coming out clear, you are all set. I think you should talk about different prep's.

My mother just had her first one yesterday at age 66. She finally worked up the nerve to go. They removed 5 polyps, one good size one, so now she is very glad she went. I suppose you can either take your chances with getting colon cancer or take your chances that you may have a colonoscopy complication.

I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.
About a year ago my stomach started to hurt after every meal. I started having to go to the bathroom A LOT. I told my physician and she suggested probiotics. After 3 months and no improvement, she sent me for CAT scan. Within an hour after having the scan got a call from my dr. I had a mass 11cm in my sigmoid colon. I was 48. So no I will not ever recommend to anyone to turn down getting a colonoscopy. If it weren't for my symptoms I could have been facing stage 4 colon cancer. Instead I had surgery and was only stage 2 (no chemo). So now I See my oncologist every 6 months and get a colonoscopy every year.

I lost my 45 year old brother to colon cancer. When I was 37 I was severely anemic and they ordered a colonoscopy

Thank god they did. They found I had stage 2B Colin cancer. My
Youngest child was 8. If I hadn't had the colonoscopy I would have died

Definitely pro-colonoscopy

Since this thread has been brought back to life.......did you decide to go for it, I hope. :)

Well, the OP is still very active here on the DIS so I'm guessing whatever the issue was has been taken care of!

The logic behind not having a colonoscopy baffles me though. What percentage of people have complications? How many die from it? How many people are saved by it?

How many people are injured/die driving a car? Flying in a plane? Crossing the street? Do people not doing any of those things because there is a risk involved?

How many people die from eating poorly, not exercising enough? Don't so many people do these things, even though it increases your chance of dying early?

Yes, I, OP, am still here. No, I have not gone for a colonoscopy. I am scheduling a bunch of doctor appointments in May when I turn 54. When I visit the gastro doctor I will still look into getting another test other than a colonoscopy since a dear friend of mine died from one and I know of many others that have died from them. Maybe it's just a "coincidence" but I am still very unsure of the test. Yes, I know they have saved peoples lives but tests comes with risks, look at Joan Rivers who went for just a "simple" test.

Yes, I, OP, am still here. No, I have not gone for a colonoscopy. I am scheduling a bunch of doctor appointments in May when I turn 54. When I visit the gastro doctor I will still look into getting another test other than a colonoscopy since a dear friend of mine died from one and I know of many others that have died from them. Maybe it's just a "coincidence" but I am still very unsure of the test. Yes, I know they have saved peoples lives but tests comes with risks, look at Joan Rivers who went for just a "simple" test.
Totally different test. And what she died from was a "predictable complication".

I am 52 year old female. I don't have a great stomach, never had, have reflux. I have been having stomach issues lately (bloating, gas, increased bm's). I am going to a gastro doctor next week. I had a stomach virus a month ago and it seems like my stomach hasn't been right since then. I know the gastro doctor will want to do a colonoscopy. I will refuse. I had a co-worker/friend that died after a colonoscopy. I also know 2 other women who have died after getting routine colonoscopies (my sister's friends mother and another friends neighbor, they were all female). I was discussing this with a co-worker who has crohns disease and she is young and her mom doesn't want her to get colonoscopies as she is required to do. She told me her and her mother know 3 people who have died after a colonoscopy. I have done some research since it seems strange that that many people can have serious complications. I also know someone who did not die but had to have surgery after a colonoscopy (perforation) also my husband had a lot of bleeding approx. 3 days after a colonoscopy and he had to go to the emergency (luckily it resolved itself)

My question, do any of you refuse colonoscopy? Are there other tests to get instead? I heard of one that tests your fecal dna? Any insight/comments are appreciated.

Yes, I know some will say the risks outweigh the complications, but my research on the matter shows different.

You are just foolish, reasearch, really that can go any way you want it to go , fact is colon cancer is nasty I have lost 3 relatives to this disease , 2 of them could have been saved if they had only followed the screening for it. i have had 2 colonoscopies and I am not 50 yet but due to family history I had them. I hope your family is able to deal with your issues if you die because some people have complications.

Life is crazy and complications can happen from anything. Lucky me I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and mammogram all before the age of 35 :sad2:. My father has had several colonoscopies, however, a year and a half ago this June he had pain in his stomach and a quick trip to a walk in turned into an emergency 6 hour surgery as his bowel had perforated. It was completely unrelated to any colonoscopy (he hadn't had one in over 2 years). He was soooo blessed to be able to have his stoma reversed after 4 months, as many don't have this outcome and are left with the colostomy bag for life. His diagnosis, diverticulitis.

I have another regular and friend from my bar who never went for a colonoscopy and unfortunately was diagnosed with colon cancer. To our great relief he survived but will remain with his stoma forever. Fortunately for him he leads a very active and awesome life and lets nothing get him down :) As always, it's all relative, I am ever grateful to have both my father and my friend and aside from the horrible prep drink I was elated to get my diagnosis from my procedure :thumbsup2

Do you have cancer or not? Remember what you don't know can kill you.

Normally zombie threads annoy me for some reason, but I read every post in this interesting 8-page zombie thread. Due largely to procrastination I've been putting off a checkup for quite awhile and doing all those "old guy" things I need to get done. This thread has motivated me to schedule the appointment.

My husband has had several colonoscopies now, due to both his father and his grandmother having had colon cancer. He's had no complications, though the prep is difficult.

Several of our friends have had colonoscopies, too, having got to that age. It's covered by health insurance here, so people generally don't put it off. I don't know anyone who has ever died from one, or even had any complications.

The pooled rate of colonoscopy-related bleeding among patients in the four provinces was 1.64 per 1,000 patients; the pooled rate of perforation was 0.85 per 1,000 patients. The mortality rate following colonoscopy (which could only be calculated for Ontario patients) was 0.074 deaths per 1,000 patients (or approximately one death per 14,000). http://www.ices.on.ca/Newsroom/News...lications-identifies-Canadians-risk-procedure

So if you really do know "many" people who've died of colonoscopies, then it may be worth considering that there's something terribly wrong with your local hospital/clinic.

Normally zombie threads annoy me for some reason, but I read every post in this interesting 8-page zombie thread. Due largely to procrastination I've been putting off a checkup for quite awhile and doing all those "old guy" things I need to get done. This thread has motivated me to schedule the appointment.
I share my story so people will get colonoscopies. Yes, the prep is gross. But cancer is far worse.

The prep my husband and I used was really simple. I posted it once before in a similar thread but I will post it again. All you have to drink is two 5 oz. shots of prep (split dose) and then just make sure you drink clear liquids of your choice for the rest of the time. The shots are spaced out and were easy to get down.

The prep really was so easy!!! We drank water, had broth, wonton soup (without the wontons of course), tea, etc. No nasty pasty drinks or laxatives.

Here is some info on it.

http://www.prepopik.com/how-to-take-prepopik/

PREP PIC.jpg

MJ

Last edited:
A potentially lifesaving procedure in need of a better reputation
A colonoscopy is a routine, generally safe, and relatively painless procedure that allows healthcare providers to see the lining of the colon. There’s a little dread surrounding a colonoscopy, but it could save your life. A colonoscopy is the gold standard for detection and prevention of colorectal cancer (CRC).

The risk of CRC
  • CRC is the third leading cause of death from cancer in the US
  • On average, 1 in 20 people are at risk for CRC (this can vary widely according to individual risk factors)1
  • An estimated in 1 in 3 people diagnosed with CRC in the US die1
A colonoscopy can prevent CRC
  • A colonoscopy is one of the only cancer screenings where potential cancers can be removed during the exam
  • Up to 90% of all CRC cases and deaths are preventable with early detection through timely screening2
  • A colonoscopy can also help healthcare providers diagnose other gastrointestinal disorders

The prep my husband and I used was really simple. I posted it once before in a similar thread but I will post it again. All you have to drink is two 5 oz. shots of prep (split dose) and then just make sure you drink clear liquids of your choice for the rest of the time. The shots are spaced out and were easy to get down.

The prep really was so easy!!! We drank water, had broth, wonton soup (without the wontons of course), tea, etc. No nasty pasty drinks or laxatives.

Here is some info on it.

http://www.prepopik.com/how-to-take-prepopik/

View attachment 233790

MJ

Doctor said this does a better job of cleaning you out than the old liquid

Yup I am on the pro-colonoscopy train. Dad died of bowel cancer. I had a couple of routine ones and then, the third time, a nasty flat polyp was found. Couldn't snip it and it had bad potential so I wound up having a small chunk of bowel removed a bit later. Glad I did it...

My aunt's mother died after her routine colonoscopy. The doctor punctured her bowel by mistake. She was in her 60's. It was so unexpected and tragic. I'm an RN at the hospital where it happened and the GI doc who did it is the most careful/perfectionist one we have. It was just a terrible accident.

On the other hand, my dad has polyps so he has a colonoscopy every few years-- I want to say every 2 or 3 years. And he's been having them done for years. Never a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter